• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
is there an easier way to get the dragoon layered armor? Hard to find a group for behemoth extreme and when people do join we get carted to hell lol

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
is there an easier way to get the dragoon layered armor? Hard to find a group for behemoth extreme and when people do join we get carted to hell lol

I might try a run with the best Master Rank set i can make and a bow build and hope i can solo the darn thing

How many runs does it take to get enough tickets for the layered armor though?

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Okay made it to Iceborne and just finished farming for the astral armor set, i'm using longsword, is there a recommended weapon tree I should follow? Some friend of mine is telling me to keep using the defender longsword but I uh don't like how it looks visually and also I can't upgrade it any more so I don't know if it's really that good

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Okay made it to Iceborne and just finished farming for the astral armor set, i'm using longsword, is there a recommended weapon tree I should follow? Some friend of mine is telling me to keep using the defender longsword but I uh don't like how it looks visually and also I can't upgrade it any more so I don't know if it's really that good
Start with bone or iron weapon because it's easy to upgrade. Then grab whichever you're willing to farm a monster for.

Generally LS focuses on raw, but if you want to use elemental or status ones you'll be fine.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Start with bone or iron weapon because it's easy to upgrade. Then grab whichever you're willing to farm a monster for.

Generally LS focuses on raw, but if you want to use elemental or status ones you'll be fine.

Oh perfect I can already craft the bone weapon, but I see that the sleep effect is grayed out, how do I activate it? 🤔

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I might try a run with the best Master Rank set i can make and a bow build and hope i can solo the darn thing

How many runs does it take to get enough tickets for the layered armor though?
Even if you're using MR armor, it's not damage output or defense that makes the fight hard. Its managing all the tornados.

Don't play vs him without a tank.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
So for most of the time I've been playing the game with friends and now I've been taking on these fights on my own. I really notice how long I still take to get a monster to start walking with a limp. I have a feeling something isn't quite right yet with my jewel set up. So my equipment is...

Legiana

Helm a+
Mail b+
Vambraces a+
Coil a+
Greaves a+

Ice attack level 4
Divine blessing level 3
Evade window level 4
Health boost level 3
Ice resistance level 3
Windproof level 2

It's a shame health boost takes up 3 jewels, but I do feel I need it. I can replace the ice resistance, destroyer/medicine jewel 4 and earplug jewel 3 with other decorations that could make a fight a bit shorter I guess. What jewels should I equip here? I'm thinking of things like tenderizer jewel 2 which increases the affinity of attacks that exploit a monster weak spot. Or expert jewel 4 that increases affinity, but I'm still figuring out what affinity exactly is.

Also, I am wondering. When you play as a great sword, switch axe, axe, etc character, the ones that move rather slowly with weapon equipped, do you just go for a few hits and then back away before the monster (in my case just now a MR Anjanath) hits you? I notice I often get greedy and just keep mashing at the enemy, which results in Anjanath bumping into me hard, kicking me or any of his attacks really. I've probably been playing it the wrong way, haha. I especially notice that now, now that I'm soloing stuff.

You need to ditch the Legiana armor if you don't have jewels for offensive skills like Crit Eye/Crit Boost/WEX. It's not a good set.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you remove a awakened ability a safi weapon came with? If so how, I don't see no option to change.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
fmrz8Gr.gif

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I really am getting bored of lance quick

I think the worst part is how unnecessarily skill heavy it is. It is such a pain trying to fit in offensive guard and guard with all the regular attack stuff, and forget about quality of life skills

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
So I've done consistently terrible against Velkhana and was dreading to have to kill it for the limited bounty today... I recently started playing dual blades after playing for several hundred hours without touching the weapon which of course meant using them made for my cleanest Velkhana kill yet. Go figure.

I think the worst part is how unnecessarily skill heavy it is. It is such a pain trying to fit in offensive guard and guard with all the regular attack stuff, and forget about quality of life skills

I love the lance but with how much I want to use the clutch claw the mechanic can be really awkward with having to hit R3 and the sheathing is so bloody slow.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
So I've done consistently terrible against Velkhana and was dreading to have to kill it for the limited bounty today... I recently started playing dual blades after playing for several hundred hours without touching the weapon which of course meant using them made for my cleanest Velkhana kill yet. Go figure.

I love the lance but with how much I want to use the clutch claw the mechanic can be really awkward with having to hit R3 and the sheathing is so bloody slow.
i need to get a back button attachment for those r3 cc switching. but they sold out :(

imo, lance dont really need guard. maybe the uragan bonus but not guard, since you can power guard strong atk and counter/reg block the rest.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
lol I'm an idiot. I just farmed up 25 VIP tickets to make the layered armor thinking I needed to craft each piece individually. Oops.
Now you can craft all the pendants (if you hadn't) :P
A couple of weeks ago we organised a session and a bunch of us got the layered armour. It was plain sailing with MR gear and people doing what they're supposed to do.
You could try asking for an Extremoth session here next weekend.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Nah MR Lance needs guard, monsters knockbacks are too strong now.

Although I like Lance, everytime I pick it up I feel so much weaker than HBG tank which literally does everything Lance wants to do better except for softening. It's damage is just too low right now, it needs a buff to its motion values.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Nah MR Lance needs guard, monsters knockbacks are too strong now.

Although I like Lance, everytime I pick it up I feel so much weaker than HBG tank which literally does everything Lance wants to do better except for softening. It's damage is just too low right now, it needs a buff to its motion values.

Obviously speedruns aren't representative of the average playerbase, but it does show that Lance is absolutely not in need of buffs. It's balanced properly for how much uptime it provides, especially with how amazing counter clutch is. At least in solo play.

Both Lance's suffer heavily in multiplayer I feel because it loses that edge when the monster is running around the area, particularly if there are ranged or poor CC

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
IIRC Lance still has the worst clear times out of all weapons in speedruns.

SnS already got a huge buff last patch and it's actually in a really good place now. Perfect Rush is bonkers for damage.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
IIRC Lance still has the worst clear times out of all weapons in speedruns.

SnS already got a huge buff last patch and it's actually in a really good place now. Perfect Rush is bonkers for damage.

We are talking differences of less than a minute at times. There has to be a give and take for the level of safety and comfort Lance is capable of so I think it's fine.

What buff where these on SnS? I must have missed them.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
i need to get a back button attachment for those r3 cc switching. but they sold out :(

imo, lance dont really need guard. maybe the uragan bonus but not guard, since you can power guard strong atk and counter/reg block the rest.
You definitely want Guard, power guard adds a lot of delay(both because it takes more time to get in and because the hit from it is slower with more delay after it) and most MR tempered monsters will force you to power guard almost everything but the love taps if you don't have guard at all, because normal counters will have you recoil and take way longer than they should. On top of that without Guard you'll take a ton of chip damage especially since Power Guard blocks less damage than other guards. Non tempered and especially early monsters sure it's fine.

You can kinda get away with Guard 3, which is relatively easy to fit in a build, but Guard 5 makes it so you basically don't need to power guard besides for turning, which is a big QoL improvement for faster pace combat imo. Also the charm gives the whole 5 in one slot so it's not that bad in that regard.

Guard Up is actually a lot more optional, there's a few fights where you kinda want it such as Velkhana since every breath goes through normal block and there's A LOT of breathing going on, but a lot of fights can be done without or simply don't have anything you can guard up anyway.

It is a restrictive weapon on builds however, but on the plus side you don't really need that many QoL skills compared to other weapons. Don't need Earplugs since you can block roars, don't need Tremor since you can block shockwaves, don't need Wind Pressure since you can block wind. Helps a bunch that you can block virtually everything besides pickle jho's grab and lunastra's nova dot.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The only gold tickets I ever get from steamworks are the dailies. My luck is off the charts.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Fought my first Glavenus last night and thought it was a really cool monster (I must have skipped whatever game it's been in before). Holy shit at the armour skills though! I'm playing GS atm so I was excited as soon as I saw Focus and Handicraft, but the set bonus is functional Max Might! Stamina is almost guaranteed to hit max by the time a lvl 3 charge is finished so it's ideal for GS. The chest also has power prolonger for a CB set. I'm going to have to farm this chap, the need for a mantle scares me.

Is it true that his tail only comes off when it's glowing?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Fought my first Glavenus last night and thought it was a really cool monster (I must have skipped whatever game it's been in before). Holy shit at the armour skills though! I'm playing GS atm so I was excited as soon as I saw Focus and Handicraft, but the set bonus is functional Max Might! Stamina is almost guaranteed to hit max by the time a lvl 3 charge is finished so it's ideal for GS. The chest also has power prolonger for a CB set. I'm going to have to farm this chap, the need for a mantle scares me.

Glavenus first appeared in Generations as one of the fated four. Yes, it does seem the tail only comes off when glowing.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Rank 5 might sound great on paper, but is all but pointless on anything but bowguns and even then almost no one uses anything but lvl3. It's simply not worth the investment vs what you lose compared to other skill/armor bonus dps gains, mostly because crit is so easy to get in iceborne through rank4 slot efficiency and mods, even through the WEX nerf. 1 or 2 points of max might is a bonus, but shouldn't be built around because it's lack of 100 uptime

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I think lance is in an okay place. It's a bit weak, but it makes a lot of fights much easier because the shield/counterclaw is so good.
I expect it'll prove it's worth on the AT fights, so long as they don't start adding moves that are totally unblockable (like Rajang's annoying wrestling throw/bodyslam that makes him hell to fight with a lance).
I think Guard 3 or 4 is essential since without it counter-poke becomes useless. Still not got a Guard Up jewel though (25K of macro'ed steamworks didn't help, got another 20K to go. I hope the jewel is actually in the silver RNG table)

I think I need to give bow a try. It's one hell of an investment though, since it needs multiple elements. I have a half-decent Safi icebow and the Silverlos armour, so at least I should be able to make fiery monsters die (looking at you, unity-quest Namielle!).
Does crit-boost stack with true-crit-element, or only affect raw?

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Rank 5 might sound great on paper, but is all but pointless on anything but bowguns and even then almost no one uses anything but lvl3. It's simply not worth the investment vs what you lose compared to other skill/armor bonus dps gains, mostly because crit is so easy to get in iceborne through rank4 slot efficiency and mods, even through the WEX nerf. 1 or 2 points of max might is a bonus, but shouldn't be built around because it's lack of 100 uptime

Well it's probably not an endgame set, but I like to maintain the best set of skills I can throughout the game, and this is pretty awesome for where I am right now. I ran Max Might on my GS builds in World because it was 100% uptime for lvl 3 charges, it's nice to have that back now. It also seems rude not to use the set bonus when I'll already be wearing some pieces for focus and handicraft.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's probably not an endgame set, but I like to maintain the best set of skills I can throughout the game, and this is pretty awesome for where I am right now. I ran Max Might on my GS builds in World because it was 100% uptime for lvl 3 charges, it's nice to have that back now. It also seems rude not to use the set bonus when I'll already be wearing some pieces for focus and handicraft.

Yup do it

I wish people giving advice were considerate of the fact that players still want to progress through the game and use what they have

Its a legit great set on its own at that point in the game and you dont ever really need to chase the "meta" at any point... Even in the endgame im still having fun messing with different builds on my own and not checking online for "whats da best"

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
And after 5600 T3s you can play your doot horn in front of the waterfall in the guiding lands to unlock a handicraft +5 deco that requires only one slot.

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
Yup do it

I wish people giving advice were considerate of the fact that players still want to progress through the game and use what they have

Its a legit great set on its own at that point in the game and you dont ever really need to chase the "meta" at any point... Even in the endgame im still having fun messing with different builds on my own and not checking online for "whats da best"

Well people play the game in lots of different ways. I'm a bit weird and don't play multiplayer much because I feel like it often takes the challenge out of hunts, so that removes the pressure to not be left behind. I go slow, maintaining a full set of weapons and a tweaked armour build for each of my mains (CB, GS, Lance), which means figuring out the best set of skills is a constantly evolving puzzle. A lot of people rush through the story content to get to the point where all monsters are available, so any discussion of builds usually assumes access to everything.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Well people play the game in lots of different ways. I'm a bit weird and don't play multiplayer much because I feel like it often takes the challenge out of hunts. I go slow, maintaining a full set of weapons and tweaked armour build for each of my mains (CB, GS, Lance), which means figuring out the best set of skills is a constantly evolving puzzle. A lot of people rush through the story content to get to the point where all monsters are available, so any discussion of builds usually assumes access to everything.

This how i play the games too. I like to take my time and soak in the content in paced stages

I almost wonder if MMO fomo culture has bled into other games at this point but I know that your assertion is correct

There are many players on here that have stated that they enjoy rushing to the endgame since thats where they enjoy playing the most so i get it

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Uhmmm, what? SnS is BY FAR the highest DPS weapon in the game. There are only a handful of monsters that favor other weapons. Most contested WRs are held by SnS.
To be fair SnS doesn't have the buffs yet on PC so maybe that's what they mean. That said SnS still does good damage even without perfect rush buffs, I was pretty surprised at how strong it was even kinda flaying about not playing well when I tried on the brute/speed eating build, and running a damage meter on group hunts it seems to easily be able to keep up with other classes even not using a full damage set and using wide range charm and stuff, while again I still mostly suck at it(lots of dead inputs resulting in doing nothing or doing a guarded strike instead of a backhop).