• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
Once you have fully u locked the weapon tree, any weapon with a silver hammer on it can be created from scratch at the blacksmith. To get the materials, just go into the low/high rank section of the quest board. You'll have a quest for every non-elder creature in the base game , and you'll get investigations for them as well when doing them. They die ultra fast - make sure you use a plunderblade on your palico!
Gotcha! So fully unlocked, meaning that you've encountered each of the monster types?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man. I hope they improve the end game in the next game or with another expansion. I loved World so much but something about the endgame just makes me way less interested in coming back to do new fights.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
any reason to keep my old kulve taroth weapons? otherwise i might just sell them all, no nostalgia for me tbh
I've sold all the old R6 and R7 weapons, aside from a few whose design I like. But I kept all the R8 ones.

There will be new MR versions of HR monsters coming in April I think, and I can see Kulve veing one of them. A MR Kulve with a redesigned siege (the weapon system in particular) based on what they learned from Safi sounds plausible.

So who knows, perhaps we will be able to convert Kulve weapons (old and new) into upgrade mats at the Melder, just like with Safi. In that case you might want to hang on to them for a little bit longer. You can always sell them if they turn out to be worthless anyway.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow.

There's a new challenge quest against a Stygian Zin and Ruinerg and it plays that really good song from the Launch trailer. Wish it was an event that I had a prayer of being able to beat, but that's still pretty cool.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow.

There's a new challenge quest against a Stygian Zin and Ruinerg and it plays that really good song from the Launch trailer. Wish it was an event that I had a prayer of being able to beat, but that's still pretty cool.

Oh shit, I've been wondering when they were going to use that:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought that Velkhana fight would be the end of the dlc, was pretty happily surprised to see that its gonna keep going a while longer.

Kinda seems like theres a bunch of monsters I've missed from before the expansion too like deviljho and I cant seem to find any hints for them either

Abhomb

Apr 1, 2019
I have been doing the Arc tempered monsters from the he hr game and with fully loaded mr gear. They are fum, no one joined me to help so I had to do it on my own with the Blst GS from Jiva. They are fun, I never did them in the base game, fuck that.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought that Velkhana fight would be the end of the dlc, was pretty happily surprised to see that its gonna keep going a while longer.

Kinda seems like theres a bunch of monsters I've missed from before the expansion too like deviljho and I cant seem to find any hints for them either
Jho is a end game monster

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
Beat the Brachydios and Tigrex last night after failing on each of them the night before. The Tigrex was rough because it felt like it was always in my face, but the Brachydios was ROOOOOOUGH.

Oct 27, 2017
How are you supposed to evade Lunastras supernova? Even with the fireproof mantle on, runing away as fast as you can and lie down on the floor for as long as possible you barely survive.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jho is a end game monster

Ah ok. It finally started showing up for me in other hunts last night so hopefully I'll get an official hunt for it soon. Seems to be the Iceborne version though rather than the base so maybe I'll have to go back to HR to find the early version if I want to make the weapon.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok. It finally started showing up for me in other hunts last night so hopefully I'll get an official hunt for it soon. Seems to be the Iceborne version though rather than the base so maybe I'll have to go back to HR to find the early version if I want to make the weapon.
he's a better fight in master rank and I wouldn't go back his weapons aren't that good

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
How are you supposed to evade Lunastras supernova? Even with the fireproof mantle on, runing away as fast as you can and lie down on the floor for as long as possible you barely survive.
Hmm with the mantle you should lose about 3/4 of your health, assuming 200 health base(health boost 3 and max pot), and that's taking the whole thing. Without the mantle you'll die. You have to sheathe somewhat quickly, then spam superman dives. You will generally get caught at some point and not dive the whole thing, although with the exact right timing it's possible(in which case you lose minimal hp, like 5%). You should survive losing about half your hp this way. If you can't sheathe fast enough though you can still die.

If you have windproof 5 you can kinda just heal through it or dive spam or whatever you feel like doing cause it's very easy. This is the key to making lunastra(and especially tempered lunastra) easy. That's why I now always use Hunting Horn to do Lunastra, negate winds song and just bonk her on the head repeatedly.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Hmm with the mantle you should lose about 3/4 of your health, assuming 200 health base(health boost 3 and max pot), and that's taking the whole thing. Without the mantle you'll die. You have to sheathe somewhat quickly, then spam superman dives. You will generally get caught at some point and not dive the whole thing, although with the exact right timing it's possible(in which case you lose minimal hp, like 5%). You should survive losing about half your hp this way. If you can't sheathe fast enough though you can still die.

If you have windproof 5 you can kinda just heal through it or dive spam or whatever you feel like doing cause it's very easy. This is the key to making lunastra(and especially tempered lunastra) easy. That's why I now always use Hunting Horn to do Lunastra, negate winds song and just bonk her on the head repeatedly.
Windproof 3 is enough to just ignore those small wind gusts that stun your character in place and make you take the whole fire DoT damage in the process, but 5 may be safer.

If you want to fully disrupt the supernova, you need either Rocksteady mantle or Earplugs 5, be prepared whenever Lunastra roars because she always does it before Supernova, then flinch her in the air while she's prepping the attack with either Scatternuts or Crystalburst. Lunastra always fights in maps that contain either one or the other, and when you interrupt her, it stops the attack entirely.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Windproof 3 is enough to just ignore those small wind gusts that stun your character in place and make you take the whole fire DoT damage in the process, but 5 may be safer.

If you want to fully disrupt the supernova, you need either Rocksteady mantle or Earplugs 5, be prepared whenever Lunastra roars because she always does it before Supernova, then flinch her in the air while she's prepping the attack with either Scatternuts or Crystalburst. Lunastra always fights in maps that contain either one or the other, and when you interrupt her, it stops the attack entirely.
If you have windproof, earplugs is fairly unnecessary. She'll roar you, but then the damage doesn't really start until you get out of the roar anyway, so you're fine. The risk in a "normal" setup is you get roared, and then you get wing flapped on the ground, and then get up into a blue fire explosion, all the while constantly losing hp to the "heat" thing. If you have earplugs though you can easily sheathe and start superman dive spamming so in this case it might not be necessary to have windproof, one or the other should do the job albeit somewhat differently, but I prefer windproof since it also blocks the mini nova and the turning wingflaps, while the roars generally are both rollable and don't get punished much the rest of the fight.

I never interupt her though, that's probably a good thing to do I just focus on surviving, but I mostly solo, it'd make more sense to keep some crystalburst/nuts or even a flash and interupt her for other people I guess, although as someone mentionned you can just eat a jerky with wide range(not even 5, 1 would do the job if people aren't too spread out) if you have windproof and negate the whole thing for everyone else.

Luckily I haven't really needed to kill her too many times, think I killed her twice in GL for charms and stuff and a few times outside for decos but I tend to favor other T3s since I don't like how annoying she is. It's really not that bad with HH but I don't like fighting one monster with just one weapon everytime(also why I dislike doing Kushala, he's easy with stickies but I'd rather not fight him if I don't have to).

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I never interupt her though, that's probably a good thing to do I just focus on surviving, but I mostly solo, it'd make more sense to keep some crystalburst/nuts or even a flash and interupt her for other people I guess, although as someone mentionned you can just eat a jerky with wide range(not even 5, 1 would do the job if people aren't too spread out) if you have windproof and negate the whole thing for everyone else.
Flash is actually a bad idea. Lunastra will just keep spamming supernova until it succeeds, it's been a thing with her AI since vanilla. With the natural flinching slinger ammo tho, she just nicely floats to the ground and proceeds to fight as normal.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
My Lunastra build has Wide-Range 5 and Wind-Proof 5. Eat Astera Jerky as you see your and your team mates' health dropping. Profit.
You're a braver man than I for fighting Lunastra with teammates.

Anyway, the best solution to run Wind Res 5 and just pop a Farcaster when she novas. Allows you to calm down, restock, sharpen, etc., all while not dying.

Oct 27, 2017

I was hoping there would be some kind of trick to it that doesn't entail bringing specific abilities into the fray but you guys tell me she's basically broken af?

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
After going back and playing on console again after 400 hours into the PC version, I can safely say that the average console player is hot dog turds compared to the average Pc player. Maybe the framerate makes a big difference though.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I was hoping there would be some kind of trick to it that doesn't entail bringing specific abilities into the fray but you guys tell me she's basically broken af?
I mean you can absolutely kill her without bringing something special. It's just harder and the things make it a lot easier. It's similar to doing Vaal without miasma resist and health augment or doing Kushala with a melee weapon, it's certainly doable but it's a lot more annoying and isn't really worth your time. I've killed her a bunch of times on other weapons without windproof or earplugs too it's just annoying and I'll cart every now and then, so it's not viable for low cart investigations.

It's just tricks to kill her more easily, if you don't want to, then you do it the normal way. Which is just sheath and spam superman dives and hope for the best.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you can absolutely kill her without bringing something special. It's just harder and the things make it a lot easier. It's similar to doing Vaal without miasma resist and health augment or doing Kushala with a melee weapon, it's certainly doable but it's a lot more annoying and isn't really worth your time. I've killed her a bunch of times on other weapons without windproof or earplugs too it's just annoying and I'll cart every now and then, so it's not viable for low cart investigations.

It's just tricks to kill her more easily, if you don't want to, then you do it the normal way. Which is just sheath and spam superman dives and hope for the best.

I don't think Lunastras bullshit is comparable to Vaal Hazak or Kushala at all.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Probably been said but maaan starting to give side eye to the in game hunters that want to take down the homie nergigante so badly when all it's done is save our asses

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably been said but maaan starting to give side eye to the in game hunters that want to take down the homie nergigante so badly when all it's done is save our asses

I love how they're all like "Nergigante is the true balance of the ecosystem...in awe of the power and regality of this lad...........LET'S FUCKING KILL HIM"

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So after a week of frustration with Battlefield and For Honor I decided to say screw it and finally take the dive into Iceborne.

Really looking forward to the new monsters and the new layered armor system. I'm hoping to god one of my favorite armor sets are available as layered options.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I returned to this after getting an itch after nearly 2 years. I played around 44 hours at release, then abandoned it due to frustration because I got my ass handed to me by Nergigante. Finally beat it with the help of two others and now I'm looking forward to complete it and dive into Iceborne.

But goddamn, is it hard to get back if you haven't played for so long. Feels like getting rolled over by an avalanche when you see the menu with all the items, look at your weapons and your armor and you have no clue what to do with it because it feels like you haven't seen anything of all this before.

Khnjer

May 31, 2019
1 question,

To get, kaiser b + set, which teostra do i need to fight? normal, tempered or AT?

Currently at MR52

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone on PS4 right now that can help me with the opening Banboro quest?

I am apparently human trash and not deserving of help. 4 missions in a row with no SOS flare answers.

Edit: Nevermind. I was able to finally get someone.

Last edited:

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
best way to level lynian unity quickly? i just heard about pawswap and i want to try it out
i've done all their quests and got the tailrider signal already so i think i just have to level each area to 6 to begin.

Oct 27, 2017
best way to level lynian unity quickly? i just heard about pawswap and i want to try it out
i've done all their quests and got the tailrider signal already so i think i just have to level each area to 6 to begin.

You just have to use the lynians on hunts to level them up, which is painfully slow unfortunately and I don't think theres any faster way to do this. At least with the gadget you get from the BoaBoa tribe in Hoarfrost you can just call them at the start of a quest and don't have to search them first.

Lonewulfeus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I leveled them up during the appreciation fest where all of the HR crown hunting quests were active, killing 5 monsters in ~10 minutes in each zone was getting me about a level per quest up to 4 and then it would take 2 quests per level until 6 where you could pawswap.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Is there a certain starter set I should be making to get a foothold in Iceborne? I made the Bone set and Alloy set just so I could have better armor, but I still feel like I am taking WAY too much damage.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a certain starter set I should be making to get a foothold in Iceborne? I made the Bone set and Alloy set just so I could have better armor, but I still feel like I am taking WAY too much damage.

You could always upgrade the armor value but that's just how it is. The addon is hard and the only way to mitigate it is with getting better, just like the old days.

Did you play World beforehand or did you start with Iceborne and rushed to the main game? I could see the start being rough if you didn't accumulate some good baseline high rank gear from before.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You could always upgrade the armor value but that's just how it is. The addon is hard and the only way to mitigate it is with getting better, just like the old days.

Did you play World beforehand or did you start with Iceborne and rushed to the main game? I could see the start being rough if you didn't accumulate some good baseline high rank gear from before.
No I played the shit out of World. Over 400 hours into it. And I replaced all my gear from world already. I built myself the rating 9 ore Greatsword and the rating 9 Bone hunting horn and both are now my best weapons pretty much. And the alloy armor I made is my best armor now.

I guess it's just gonna take a bit to get used to. I'm not used to losing a third of my health from a single attack anymore. That hasn't happened since I first fought Nergy back in the base game. I've always had good gear and good weapons.

Oct 27, 2017
No I played the shit out of World. Over 400 hours into it. And I replaced all my gear from world already. I built myself the rating 9 ore Greatsword and the rating 9 Bone hunting horn and both are now my best weapons pretty much. And the alloy armor I made is my best armor now.

I guess it's just gonna take a bit to get used to. I'm not used to losing a third of my health from a single attack anymore. That hasn't happened since I first fought Nergy back in the base game.

Okay then maybe the problem really is that you're playing alone. Me and the friends I play with are a really good team so we didn't have any real trouble until the endgame.

But if it's any consolation to you, hunting stuff alone in the endgame zone you unlock after the story is also pretty much impossible for me even with all the fancy fully upgraded gear I have by now.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay then maybe the problem really is that you're playing alone. Me and the friends I play with are a really good team so we didn't have any real trouble until the endgame.

But if it's any consolation to you, hunting stuff alone in the endgame zone you unlock after the story is also pretty much impossible for me even with all the fancy fully upgraded gear I have by now.
Yeah I think it's just a combination of a huge upswing in health and difficulty from the monsters and me having what is essentially starter gear. I guess it also doesn't help that I took such a long break from the game.