• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
From the US Champ stream: Variants release date is 3/23. They also showed Raging Brachy gameplay and the end is the entire flow glowing and blowing up. There was a safe spot on a higher plateau:level, but if you don't get to that spot, no idea how one is supposed to survive that!

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the US Champ stream: Variants release date is 3/23. They also showed Raging Brachy gameplay and the end is the entire flow glowing and blowing up. There was a safe spot on a higher plateau:level, but if you don't get to that spot, no idea how one is supposed to survive that!

Damn, literally one day before I go on vacation for a week. I'll have to play that evening. Don't they normally do big patches and content drops on Thursdays? Why Monday this time?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Post game progression on this seems like it's going to be pretty cool, but it's also pretty confusing. I feel like I got smacked with the info dump from starting the game again.

Oct 27, 2017
(PC): 100% crit, non-Master's Touch hammer set that uses 2-piece Vaal for Super Recovery instead.

49602417843_77b9e1c537_o.png

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

Oh come on that's so far away :(

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone explain to me or provide a link to me on how I can unlock the monster themed layered armors in the game? Because I really want to get a few of my favorite armor sets as layered armor but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it.

I have tried googling it but all I get everytime I type in any kind of variation of how to get layered armor I get a smorgasbord of videos on how to get the Dante armor for the Ryu armor etc etc.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Can anyone explain to me or provide a link to me on how I can unlock the monster themed layered armors in the game? Because I really want to get a few of my favorite armor sets as layered armor but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to do it.

I have tried googling it but all I get everytime I type in any kind of variation of how to get layered armor I get a smorgasbord of videos on how to get the Dante armor for the Ryu armor etc etc.

I'm assuming you're talking about the High Rank layer armor set.

All of them would require you to go into the Guiding Lands to hunt their respective monster.

Non-tempered.

Master Rank layer armor sets are not available yet.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I've used the Charge Blade pretty much all the way through vanilla and what I've done so far in Iceborne...but I wanna switch to a different weapon.

I guess my question is, have I been playing the game wrong by using only one weapon type this whole time? Like not having a ranged or quicker melee type on hand for certain monsters made it harder on me?

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
So I've used the Charge Blade pretty much all the way through vanilla and what I've done so far in Iceborne...but I wanna switch to a different weapon.

I guess my question is, have I been playing the game wrong by using only one weapon type this whole time? Like not having a ranged or quicker melee type on hand for certain monsters made it harder on me?
There are monsters that are easier to kill with ranged weapons like kushala but there's nothing wrong with only using one weapon.
Just play the game however you enjoy the most.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm assuming you're talking about the High Rank layer armor set.

All of them would require you to go into the Guiding Lands to hunt their respective monster.

Non-tempered.

Master Rank layer armor sets are not available yet.

Okay so I have no idea what the "Guiding Lands" is. I assume that's an endgame activity?

(I've owned Iceborne for like 4 days)

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Okay so finish the story line and then hunt monsters in The guiding lands. That's it?
Bunch of materials are technically gathered in the Guiding Lands, not hunted, but yeah that's about it, although some monsters are gated behind guiding lands level and the volcanic and arctic regions require you advance some more iirc and such. But once you get to endgame it's pretty easy to unlock the layered armors you want, or all of them really once you play a bit, it mostly uses materials you don't use for much and have too many of(generic monster bones and low tier ores/bones as well as a few monster specific materials for their related armor but it's so few you can literally get enough just wall banging the monster twice).

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Bunch of materials are technically gathered in the Guiding Lands, not hunted, but yeah that's about it, although some monsters are gated behind guiding lands level and the volcanic and arctic regions require you advance some more iirc and such. But once you get to endgame it's pretty easy to unlock the layered armors you want, or all of them really once you play a bit, it mostly uses materials you don't use for much and have too many of(generic monster bones and low tier ores/bones as well as a few monster specific materials for their related armor but it's so few you can literally get enough just wall banging the monster twice).
Okay cool. Really the only layered sets I want are Odogaron, Kulve Toroth, the basic Leather Armor, and Great Girros. Those are my favorite sets.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Okay cool. Really the only layered sets I want are Odogaron, Kulve Toroth, the basic Leather Armor, and Great Girros. Those are my favorite sets.
KT is an exception here, similar to the Arch Tempered layered armor in that you need materials from the actual KT. Need emperor nuggets for the Arch tempered layered, and I think for the other layered too(I wanna say 5 for each normal set and 7 for the AT layered?). And you need research comission+ tickets which you get from the MR125+ quests as well as the quest that pops when you have cleared every other optional(up to 6star difficulty or whatever it was). So KT layered is actually a lot of work compared to the others.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Holy hell, I've been trying to beat Ishvalda for an entire evening with randoms but everyone keeps getting getting carted, there's few occasions in which you get unlucky with stuns and being cornered but his attacks are predictable enough and I don't know why people keep looking in to headlights and ran over.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So is the game just intentionally stingy with Tigrex materials? I have now done 3 Tigrex hunts in a row and two of them were captures and I just don't seem to get as many mats as I do with other monsters.

remember to not be afraid to ask for help near the end of the story missions
Oh believe me I have no qualms about asking for help lol

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Sup, I am picking up some games to tide me over until FF7R and I was eyeing MHW (just base).

I was addicted to PSP games and I remember a lot still (hundreds of hours), however I am not sure picking up the vanilla is wise or not. Is the community still alive for base content or did everyone move to Iceborne stuff?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Sup, I am picking up some games to tide me over until FF7R and I was eyeing MHW (just base).

I was addicted to PSP games and I remember a lot still (hundreds of hours), however I am not sure picking up the vanilla is wise or not. Is the community still alive for base content or did everyone move to Iceborne stuff?

Even the most casual MH fans owes it to themselves to experience the magic that is MHW you kidding me?!?!?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have time to get addicted to MH again back like in the old good days, but now I have a bit relaxed schedule so I could dabble in it.

Gotcha!

its certainly no less a time commitment than other games but Im sure you will appreciate all the updates and massive quality of life changes that 5th gen monster hunter took!

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017

Most people are on iceborne, but there are still a few doing the base game.
The bigger problem might be that if you do random multiplayer SOS calls, you could get joined by a Master Rank >100 iceborne guy, who will demolish your target in about a minute. It's like that scene in Final Fantasy 7 where you join Sephiroth to hunt a dragon, and you do 10 damage while he hits for 1000.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm a bit confused working out end game builds. I'm looking up Charge Blade and I'm seeing suggestions to use a mix of Damascus/Zorah gear. There's a whole tier above that though and something like the stygian zin gear looks like the skills would be more beneficial than wasting it on defense boost via Damascus.

There something I'm missing here? These higher tier sets seem to have better skills, more defense, and can be upgraded further. What's the reason to avoid them?

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
I'm not in end game but I assume people are using the beta damascus for all the slots it has. The chest and arms give you 2 points in focus and 2 in Handicraft plus loads of slots. I haven't bothered with the rest of the set.

My personal opinion is that looking up builds is robbing yourself of the fun puzzle aspect to monster hunters progression system, it's one of the things that sets it apart from other RPGs.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

Survey up for the PC version.

Be sure to let them know you want the old weapon designs and cross-play.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm a bit confused working out end game builds. I'm looking up Charge Blade and I'm seeing suggestions to use a mix of Damascus/Zorah gear. There's a whole tier above that though and something like the stygian zin gear looks like the skills would be more beneficial than wasting it on defense boost via Damascus.

There something I'm missing here? These higher tier sets seem to have better skills, more defense, and can be upgraded further. What's the reason to avoid them?

From my experience I could imagine it's just a pain in the ass to upgrade the higher tier armors compared to the other ones.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017

There's only one damascus piece you'd use, and that's the chest that has 2focus and good slots. Then 3pc Zorah, for artillery secret and 5 artillery, makes it easier to hit the cap on phials. Finally the last piece is most likely the common Garuga legs, which are stupid overstatted. That'd be a basic starting Charge Blade set, but you'd need a bunch of decoration to finish it off.

Tiers don't matter for armor, only the skills.

Stygian is almost entirely bad too, so you wouldn't use that on like, anyone. Might use a piece for a specific build(windproof) but latent power is mostly crap and not something you'd want on your gear, and partbreaker is easy enough to cap without needing the gloves.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Zorah armor is recommended for "just beat the story" CB builds because it's fucking piss easy to get. It's like getting the basic bone set as soon as you start HR or MR. And if you don't have a lot of artillery decos, it's a nice way to get some points in that.

It'll get outclassed fast, but that's fine.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty "funny" they provided mods as a reason for playing the game on PC in the survey when they purposely tried to block them multiple ways with Iceborne 🤡

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
decided to give HBG a try. What besides the Jagras is a good HBG to do the 2nd half of the Iceborne story with? I'm MR 13 right now and kinda got tired of chasing fast monsters with my pukei SA. I know the jagras one is good for spread but what else is good for pierce or for a tad longer range (Acidic glavenous gave me some trouble trying to shoot crit spots).

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
it would have been a cool idea if it gave the weapon a unique design but since it's the same shitty looking strap on design it doesn't work at all.

Its a shame so many of the weapons are just slight recolors

I guess thats what happens when your whole dev team is working on animations and combat

Oct 27, 2017
decided to give HBG a try. What besides the Jagras is a good HBG to do the 2nd half of the Iceborne story with? I'm MR 13 right now and kinda got tired of chasing fast monsters with my pukei SA. I know the jagras one is good for spread but what else is good for pierce or for a tad longer range (Acidic glavenous gave me some trouble trying to shoot crit spots).

Definitely the Tigrex one. The palace HBG might also be a good allrounder that's easy to come by at the moment.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the Tigrex one. The palace HBG might also be a good allrounder that's easy to come by at the moment.
Thanks, I'll give that a look. Looks like I need to abuse more jagras and maybe pukei for fey gems? I will say shotgunning tobi with narcagu set on is a blast lol

Also does anyone know if Attack boost or Crit Eye is better for HBG and spread ammo? I know crit eye is generally better for melee but some of the builds i looked up use attack boost over crit eye so now I'm not sure

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I'll give that a look. Looks like I need to abuse more jagras and maybe pukei for fey gems? I will say shotgunning tobi with narcagu set on is a blast lol

Also does anyone know if Attack boost or Crit Eye is better for HBG and spread ammo? I know crit eye is generally better for melee but some of the builds i looked up use attack boost over crit eye so now I'm not sure

Someone may be able to do the math for you but when in doubt, why not use both?

Also the Tigrex HBG has a quick reload on Spread 3 ammo so it's more or less a literal shotgun.