• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
He's the worst flagship and one of the worst monsters in the series, I have no idea why they keep bringing him back unaltered.
He's not particularly super fun to fight , but he's ok , doesn't deserve the hate he gets (at least he's not Giginox, now there's a unfun fight, or any underwater fight). I just did his armor, and its pretty good.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The single greatest feature they added is the tailraider mounts that just find the monster for you

Clutch claw tutorial
OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CLUTCH CLAW TUTORIAL
Basics

• The clutch claw has a very limited range. Use it when you're close to the monster
  • If the monster moves or attacks, you will be thrown off. Use it when the monster is winding down from an attack or when it isn't moving. You also use stamina while clawed on and will fall off if it depletes
  • All weapons can use the clutch claw while the weapon is unsheathed, so you can work it into your existing combos and claw on when you see an opening. You'll get better at this as time passes
Softening parts
  • There are several parts of a monster you can claw on to. It can be difficult to actually aim when it's moving around so you may grab the wrong part. You can move along the monster with the control stick the same way you do when mounted
  • Pressing triangle (PS4 controls) will do a slashing attack and dismount. With "heavy" weapons, you will immediately soften the monster's part; with "light" weapons, you need to do this slash attack twice to soften
  • A softened part takes additional damage similar to a weak spot. It eventually becomes unsoftened after a short time. You can tell if it's taking softened damage because there will be a little square of ticks around the damage number
  • This attack is very useful for creating temporary weak spots on monsters that have poor hitzone values along large parts of their bodies
Smashing them into walls
  • The real fun of the clutch claw is slamming the monster into a wall. Claw onto its head when it is not enraged and press circle (PS4 controls) to make it swing around in a 45 degree angle. You can do this several times to get it to face the way you want
  • When it's facing the way you want (facing a wall or other obstruction), press R2 to unload your slinger ammo into its head. It will fly forward a good distance. If it hits a wall while it does this, it will take heavy damage and fall over, being immobilized for several seconds
  • This attack is invaluable for heavy damage and stunning the monster and should be spammed whenever it is unenraged. Often, a monster will become enraged immediately after you do this attack, whether it hit a wall or not. Make it count

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glavenus fight down on first try, had to switch from my GS to LS though. Wasn't maximising my damage windows and kept on getting hit by fire attacks

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
As a DB user had no problems with the new monsters so far(now at Velk's quest) but Dios was definitely a challenge. Fav fight so far is still Barioth, was like a dance.

I really need to upgrade from my Empress swords though but couldn't find a DB worth making so far.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just now wrapping my head around the new Switch Axe. It's amazing how fully realized weapons like SA and CB feel now.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
CLUTCH CLAW TUTORIAL
Basics

• The clutch claw has a very limited range. Use it when you're close to the monster
  • If the monster moves or attacks, you will be thrown off. Use it when the monster is winding down from an attack or when it isn't moving. You also use stamina while clawed on and will fall off if it depletes
  • All weapons can use the clutch claw while the weapon is unsheathed, so you can work it into your existing combos and claw on when you see an opening. You'll get better at this as time passes
Softening parts
  • There are several parts of a monster you can claw on to. It can be difficult to actually aim when it's moving around so you may grab the wrong part. You can move along the monster with the control stick the same way you do when mounted
  • Pressing triangle (PS4 controls) will do a slashing attack and dismount. With "heavy" weapons, you will immediately soften the monster's part; with "light" weapons, you need to do this slash attack twice to soften
  • A softened part takes additional damage similar to a weak spot. It eventually becomes unsoftened after a short time. You can tell if it's taking softened damage because there will be a little square of ticks around the damage number
  • This attack is very useful for creating temporary weak spots on monsters that have poor hitzone values along large parts of their bodies
Smashing them into walls
  • The real fun of the clutch claw is slamming the monster into a wall. Claw onto its head when it is not enraged and press circle (PS4 controls) to make it swing around in a 45 degree angle. You can do this several times to get it to face the way you want
  • When it's facing the way you want (facing a wall or other obstruction), press R2 to unload your slinger ammo into its head. It will fly forward a good distance. If it hits a wall while it does this, it will take heavy damage and fall over, being immobilized for several seconds
  • This attack is invaluable for heavy damage and stunning the monster and should be spammed whenever it is unenraged. Often, a monster will become enraged immediately after you do this attack, whether it hit a wall or not. Make it count

You can also knock monsters off a cliff this way. It's great.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Why didn't the weapons seem to get the same level of upgrade as the armor? I think I'm about midway through the story and my Taroth hammer is still as good or better than anything I can craft.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can also knock monsters off a cliff this way. It's great.

Can you let us know what you've figured out about the Guiding Lands? You talked about it a bit in your review but I was still stumped when I got there:

Does anyone have a Guiding Lands tutorial? I just want to fight Zinogre but I can't make the fanged wyvern meter increase at all.

EDIT: The tutorial says:

"Slay or capture large monsters, and examine signs of turf wars to discover special tracks of the same species." I killed a Great Girros (fanged wyvern) and the meter did not budge.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hunted my first monsters since a year. Just regular HR ones, mind you. Everything higher would just body me I'm afraid. My offense actually isn't that bad, I feel like I remember all the combos and stuff. It's my defense that sucks. It seems I've completely forgotten how to dodge.

Also the item menu is incredibly daunting, haha. I was looking at my loadouts and I could almost hear the gears in my head grind to a halt trying to process all the information. To think this was once all second nature...

I'm just now wrapping my head around the new Switch Axe. It's amazing how fully realized weapons like SA and CB feel now.
Oh, has it been improved? I occasionally used the SA, but I never really made an effort to really learn it because it kind of felt... lacking, I guess? As a Hammer main I never could get used to the low mobility of the SA.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Hunted my first monsters since a year. Just regular HR ones, mind you. Everything higher would just body me I'm afraid. My offense actually isn't that bad, I feel like I remember all the combos and stuff. It's my defense that sucks. It seems I've completely forgotten how to dodge.

Also the item menu is incredibly daunting, haha. I was looking at my loadouts and I could almost hear the gears in my head grind to a halt trying to process all the information. To think this was once all second nature...

Oh, has it been improved? I occasionally used the SA, but I never really made an effort to really learn it because it kind of felt... lacking, I guess? As a Hammer main I never could get used to the low mobility of the SA.

Posted my guide in the Discord earlier, but here ya go: https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/895...e-the-guiding-lands-and-the-endgame-explained

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't the weapons seem to get the same level of upgrade as the armor? I think I'm about midway through the story and my Taroth hammer is still as good or better than anything I can craft.
I can only speak for lbg and bows, but they have had noticable raw increases on the jump from 8 to 10. Taroth weapons we're almost g level anyway.

I feel like being at endgame of world for so long, you may have forgotten everything on the tree that isn't the end is just a stepping stone anyway. Weapons you will likely never use as you get the parts for the final form using some other weapon the thing your farming is weak to. Can't really see big jumps in those cases on many weapon types.

Raw and elemental values by design can't increase as dramatically as defense stats, largely for balance reasons. More generous skills at the endgame on top of claw mechanics makes hunting a breeze already.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
So um is Steamworks a bit... broken? I can do this for like half an hour and get literally hundreds of sweet consumables basically for free?
I mean, I'll take it, but it seems a bit too bountiful.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So um is Steamworks a bit... broken? I can do this for like half an hour and get literally hundreds of sweet consumables basically for free?

You can if you are willing to burn through all your ores to do it. I only use those for when I have a bad round and need to finish filling up red. I believe the system is mostly meant for you do do once the natural fuel Regens to cap.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see much of a point to using it too much because getting most of the consumables I care about isn't terribly hard between the melder and normal farming.

It's a decent use for all of your mostly worthless LR and HR ores though.

Darvan

Oct 27, 2017
Nevada
Yes, that's what it's looking like I was shocked when I saw the dragon eye patch and the glasses looks like we don't get to select they make the choice for us

So if I get this correctly : no full layered system but you get more layered stuff throughout the game, more often than before where it was mainly tied to events ?

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure how it compares to Taroth weapon but the first M.Rank Ore weapon have 230 True Raw (on par with Jho weapon, iirc highest HR weapon in term of Raw), have innate white sharpness and zero affinity.

Swax's Axe mode always have really good mobility (there is less delay between rolling compared to other weapon, even SnS). However in base game World, Axe mode suck damagewise, on the other hand Sword Mode is powerful but it have trash mobility.

Iceborne made some notable change that made Axe mode much better. Motion Value buff, Axe basic combo reverted to 3U/4U era Swax, Power Axe mode for increased stagger, MUCH better Fade Slash, increased sidehop distance, etc.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017

There's a new evasive slash in axe mode, a powered up axe state, you can fire slinger burst mid axe attacks, you can cancel sword discharge into a mount. It all feels really good.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure ? Even the first M.Rank Ore weapon have 230 True Raw (on par with Jho weapon), have innate white sharpness and zero affinity.
If they're talking about Kjarr weapons, then those will still overpower a lot of the MR stuff for a decent while.

Normal Taroth stuff probably still loses, but built in crit element and (usually) really high base element mostly makes up for the lack of raw.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
If they're talking about Kjarr weapons, then those will still overpower a lot of the MR stuff for a decent while.

Normal Taroth stuff probably still loses, but built in crit element and (usually) really high base element mostly makes up for the lack of raw.

Ahh yeah, I'm not that familiar with Kjarr weapon, that make sense then.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to thank Gears 5 and its server issues for convincing me to get back into this (I had preordered but shelved Iceborne). The first few fights reminded me of the first ones I ever did. I didn't fail them (yet), but it took me 30 minutes of peppering with my old Karma LBG to get the first beast down. The weapon additions seem sparsely provided, so maybe I'll go back and relearn the Switch Axe or Horn to get more damage going.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
As someone who really missed transmog and just wanted nice layered armor, having most of the cool layered armor locked behind tedious AT fights was a real kick in the teeth.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so excited to build my first true set even though I'm only like half way through IB.

That narga set with spare shot bonus, a free rank of Pierce up on the helmet and peak performance, combined with max might from glav pieces, a gemmed in 2nd Pierce up rank all topped off with the narga LBG with rapid fire pierce 2 needing no recoil boosters leaving me free to do 2 ranks of dash reload ontop of range up AND long barrel. Oh, and the LBG qualifies for non elemental boost. Fuck yes. And I haven't even decided on the charm yet! Though im probably leaning crit boost.

I'm super excited to use it on a long boi.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Thank gog now we can multiply Dungpod in the farm lol.

My group ALWAYS never use Dung Pods even in these situations, hahah, quite a spectacle.

Also, it's not rare to use Dung Pods and then the targeted monster and the dung podded monster all go to the same areas again anyways, lol. Capcom can be goddamn troll.

Speaking of troll:

The heck is with Legiana and Shrieking Legiana's bonus making it seem like they're for bows but the armor skills they have are not at all good for it, beh. I haven't found a particularly good armor set-up for bows, the one that making me say THIS IS IT! so far, blah.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Tigrex armor is STUPID good for a support hunter with wide range. Updates free meal to have a 75 instead of 25 percent chance. I can down mega potions all day long and come out of the battle having only used maybe one or two. It's even crazier with speed eating. Unless it's a one-shot no one can die. It's pretty ridiculous.

Matic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited to build my first true set even though I'm only like half way through IB.

That narga set with spare shot bonus, a free rank of Pierce up on the helmet and peak performance, combined with max might from glav pieces, a gemmed in 2nd Pierce up rank all topped off with the narga LBG with rapid fire pierce 2 needing no recoil boosters leaving me free to do 2 ranks of dash reload ontop of range up AND long barrel. Oh, and the LBG qualifies for non elemental boost. Fuck yes. And I haven't even decided on the charm yet! Though im probably leaning crit boost.

I'm super excited to use it on a long boi.

It destroys Fulgar Ajanath and I mean destroys.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I always enjoy the fights, this one time I had an Uragaan and a Glavenus smacking the poor Dodogama around like a football.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The heck is with Legiana and Shrieking Legiana's bonus making it seem like they're for bows but the armor skills they have are not at all good for it, beh. I haven't found a particularly good armor set-up for bows, the one that making me say THIS IS IT! so far, blah.

Mighty Bow (Bow Charge Plus) has always been better as a decoration, nobody ever used the Legiana set bonus.

This is the set I'm aiming for:

Namielle Helm B (Constitution 2, Maximum Might 1, [Forceshot])
Velkhana Chest B (Quick Sheath 2, [Forceshot], [elemental])
Velkhana Arms B (Quick Sheath 1, [Spread])
Namielle Waist B (Constitution 1, Stamina Surge 1, [Spread], [elemental], [elemental])
Namielle Legs B (Stamina Surge 2, [Mighty Bow], [Tenderizer])
Exploiter Charm II (Weakness Exploit 2)

Gives:

Constitution 3
Quick Sheath 3
Stamina Surge 3
Weakness Exploit 3
[elemental] 3
Normal Shots 2
Spread/Power Shots 2
Bow Charge Plus 1
Critical Element
Elemental Acceleration

Not sure if this is the most efficient, but it seems to be the best I've figured out.