• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Two quick questions:

In the regular non expansion game, how do you get different devices for your cat?

Also, if that cat is holding a green healing globe and it explodes near a creature, does the creature get healed ?
As you play the story, the majority of them unlock via missions.

Also, the healing stuff only works on you, the Palico or your team.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
This appears to be missing basically all the same content from Iceborne that the wiki is missing.
Hmm, it's what I used for the older games, haven't needed with World/Iceborne at all. World/Iceborne has hunter notes which tell you all the drops outside of the guiding lands. Most guiding lands drops are easy to figure out where they come from imo. They use the same terminology, example: rend claws come from odogaron, there's a GL drop with a red icon and is 'something' rend claw, it's easy to see it comes from odogaron. It's not listed in the hunter notes so you know it comes from the guiding lands. If you have a weapon that is showing all ???? and you've defeated them in the guiding lands before (i.e. Rajang), that means you need the Guiding lands drop from their tempered version.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ugh. I really hope that this game will eventually get (at the very least) cross progression or even a one time transfer option. Having to do and earn everything all over again on PC is just a pain man. If any game could insanely benefit from this, it would be Monster Hunter World.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Ugh. I really hope that this game will eventually get (at the very least) cross progression or even a one time transfer option. Having to do and earn everything all over again on PC is just a pain man. If any game could insanely benefit from this, it would be Monster Hunter World.

I'm just blasting through the story with the Guardian/Defender armor/Weapon. Will suck not having the charms and other bits but oh well.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm just blasting through the story with the Guardian/Defender armor/Weapon. Will suck not having the charms and other bits but oh well.

I did forget about that. I'll at least do that. It's just having all of your progress swiped again from scratch just to do it all over again is a pain. I'll pick it up eventually and go through everything at some point though. Part of me wants to hold out for the next dev update video where they would announce it.

CRQ

Oct 25, 2017
Howdy fellas.

Haven't even looked at this website in a while, pardon that. If anyone wants a link to a Monster Hunter discord that has an active bunch of people in it, please feel free to ping me or AmethystEnd Shengar Hybris MoonlitBow. We'll dm you an invite link you can use to join.

We don't offer open invites anymore due to a history of people coming into the server, making multiple alts, and causing trouble. That's not to say we're strict on who can enter; we'd love to have new people, just as long as you don't seem like the type of person who'd start stirring shit.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
We don't offer open invites anymore due to a history of people coming into the server, making multiple alts, and causing trouble. That's not to say we're strict on who can enter; we'd love to have new people, just as long as you don't seem like the type of person who'd start stirring shit.

To what end? What is wrong with people?

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
Two quick questions:

In the regular non expansion game, how do you get different devices for your cat?

Also, if that cat is holding a green healing globe and it explodes near a creature, does the creature get healed ?
You need to meet all the different felyne/cat tribes out in the different zone. Each one unlocks a new tool for your cat.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Potentially a stupid Switch Axe question, but should I be going into Sword Mode as much as possible? With the Iceborne changes the Axe mode feels pretty good, so I find myself going into sword mode less than I should be. Should I be maximizing sword time?

How often are you using the clutch claw? One of the easiest ways to ko a monster is to use a flinch shot when a monster is not enraged (yellow icon on the minimap). All you need is some slinger ammo (stones are enough for this), then clutch claw to the monsters head, press Circle until it faces a wall and then press R2. If done correctly the monster will run against the wall and you'll have a good opening for damage combos. Sometimes it can be hard to pull it off without getting knocked off, but that's where the Rocksteady mantle or the temporal mantle are really handy since they prevent you from falling off.

Another important tip (more for multiplayer though) is when the monster is standing still for a few sec and visibly drooling you can extent the monsters idle time by using the clutch claw on it (doesn't matter what you do once you've done it). Your team mates will be thankful for more dps time.

Clutch Claw is something I need to get way better at. I'm not used to using it yet, so it gets forgotten in the middle of battles. Thanks for the great advice!

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
Heck, I stayed away from MH due to the massive silly animu weapons. Shame on me. There's a nice game underneath!

A question:

In many MMOs your gear gets replaced pretty fast come a new expansion - how is it here? I just got through the base game and I'm wondering if I should waste time with the "old content".

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
This is where I"m at. I know I could just wait for the mods to update and just give myself what I'm missing from my old save but that feels dirty to me, for whatever reason. I'll just suffer through it like before.

In many MMOs your gear gets replaced pretty fast come a new expansion - how is it here? I just got through the base game and I'm wondering if I should waste time with the "old content".
There's still plenty you'll want from the base game content, like all the specalized tools and many weapons still require getting upgraded with LR/HR materials. The gear itself gets outdated pretty fast, but the content at least serves a purpose.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Potentially a stupid Switch Axe question, but should I be going into Sword Mode as much as possible? With the Iceborne changes the Axe mode feels pretty good, so I find myself going into sword mode less than I should be. Should I be maximizing sword time?

Clutch Claw is something I need to get way better at. I'm not used to using it yet, so it gets forgotten in the middle of battles. Thanks for the great advice!

So when it comes to switch axe i use both situationally or sometimes ill favor one over the other based on match up or what build i am using

As a general rule of thumb though stay in axe mode for mobility and general combat and switch to sword for knockdowns and DPS windows

But hell! Experiment!! I have yet to push the boundaries of what you can achieve in either mode! For example im curious what kind of tick damage output i can hit in amped sword mode with various skill combinations/phials etc

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a btw, you can knock monsters into each other with the flinch shots. If you're a pro or get lucky you can knock them down multiple times. Had that happen to me between a Stygian Zinogre and Savage Pickle the other day and it was hilarious.

Last edited:

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Just a btw, you can knock monsters into each other with the flinch shots. If you're a pro or get lucky you could knock them down multiple times. Had that happen to me between a Stygian Zinogre and Savage Pickle the other day and it was hilarious.
I got 3 at once the other day. Savage Jho made it easy by carrying ebony odo but it still felt satisfying.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely in love with just about all the original monsters Iceborne's introduced. Glavenus is my favorite so far.

What did long-time fans of the series end up thinking of this DLC btw?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely in love with just about all the original monsters Iceborne's introduced. Glavenus is my favorite so far.

Best monster Hunter game yet and my favorite game of the decade

There are still some holdouts that dont like everything 5th gen has introduced but the sentiment from veterans has been in line with the new audience overall

Some issues include how the clutch was handled, weapon designs (kind of a big one), some of the maps, and so on so forth

Overall this is a phenomenal time to be a hunter

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why does the paralyze from my electricity-based weapon only seem to trigger while I'm already mounted on a monster? Seems like a complete waste of a damage phase when I'm solo.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the paralyze from my electricity-based weapon only seem to trigger while I'm already mounted on a monster? Seems like a complete waste of a damage phase when I'm solo.

Hahah that happens to me to. Just have to find the right rythym in a fight and kind of know when you're going to trigger the status and dont go for the mount till after or something

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's from your electric-element weapon unless there is some electric weapon that also has a para element. I don't think thunder inflicts paralyze on monsters, does it? It might be your palico's weapon.

Unless you mean that paralyze element in general, then yeah, that tends to be happen to me a lot too. Like the poster above said, I usually wait to paralyze then start to do mounting damage. Some for flinch shots, I wait until the monster is enraged to mount

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

This game seems like a series of "fuck you" moments one after another. Just fought the Glavenus for the story and I bought Paralyzed it after knocking it down and my palico put it to sleep while I had just mounted it.

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
To what end? What is wrong with people?

We've had a lot of different issues with people coming in from public invites from OTs.

One guy came in, made 5 or 6 alts (all similar to each other, which was dumb, but convenient for us), and then proceeded to call people names, go on console war rants, and attempt to troll other people into arguing with him.

The worst was a guy who came in and started spamming Avengers spoilers, and also whispering/direct messaging people spoilers, and then eventually moving onto whispering/direct messaging people sexually suggestive messages about children. I banned him, reported him to Era admins, and reported him to Discord's actual staff/admins.

So yeah, regardless of how inefficient and/or annoying it is to not have a public infinite use invite for people in this thread to just click on, I'd prefer not to deal with public invites ever again.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

I think it's fantastic so far. I fucking hate that a ton of weapons don't have a unique look like they use to and the multiplayer still isn't what it used to be despite the good changes to the gathering hub but overall a great experience so far.

Also it's a little disappointing they didn't throw in any arthropod monsters. I miss them the most.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
We've had a lot of different issues with people coming in from public invites from OTs.

One guy came in, made 5 or 6 alts (all similar to each other, which was dumb, but convenient for us), and then proceeded to call people names, go on console war rants, and attempt to troll other people into arguing with him.

The worst was a guy who came in and started spamming Avengers spoilers, and also whispering/direct messaging people spoilers, and then eventually moving onto whispering/direct messaging people sexually suggestive messages about children. I banned him, reported him to Era admins, and reported him to Discord's actual staff/admins.

So yeah, regardless of how inefficient and/or annoying it is to not have a public infinite use invite for people in this thread to just click on, I'd prefer not to deal with public invites ever again.

Jesus. It is sad at what people will do for attention but yeah, sounds like a hassle to deal with.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I think it's fantastic so far. I fucking hate that a ton of weapons don't have a unique look like they use to and the multiplayer still isn't what it used to be despite the good changes to the gathering hub but overall a great experience so far.

Also it's a little disappointing they didn't throw in any arthropod monsters. I miss them the most.
The Neopterons and Temnocerans will return, someday...

Actually, given that they added Rajang who doesn't share a skeleton with anything else, I wonder if that's going to be one of the next ones.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm not all the way through the story but doing a lot of the optionals with friends as we go iceborn has definitely hit a critical mass of monster variety where it feels like by the time it circles back around to tempered versions of a thing you've already had so much distance from the first fight that it feels almost new again which is really nice and makes every monster feel so multiplicative to the content. There's a few more archetypes from the past i'd like, mostly anything that has a unique body type instead of the 30 variations on wyvern or t-rex. Stuff like the giant spider, the giant crab, the long serpent thing, the mammoth, maybe the bunny. I'm also always down for completely new stuff, the new moose antler guy throwing around trees was pretty fun.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A tutorial just popped up talking about mantle decorations, but I didn't read it because I'm dumb.

Are the decorations only effective when the mantle is activated?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
A tutorial just popped up talking about mantle decorations, but I didn't read it because I'm dumb.

Are the decorations only effective when the mantle is activated?

Correct!

Its part of what makes the weaker mantles strong again especially the glider mantle. Not only does it give you easy access to mount damage but it has two level 4 slots, lasts the longest, and recharges fast

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to play it in Coop with a friend, but he is using Linux and therefore Proton and this new Anti-Cheat is fucking him up badly.
i7 6700 and he has 100% CPU load. I got lucky with my i7 6800k and have a performance boost due to DX12 but right now...
We're waiting for some kind of fix by Capcom or the Proton guys and gals

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
YES!! The Light Pillar mod is back and working for Iceborne!! A MUST have mod for all PC players.

It uses the 3d model, green for mon drops, red for slinger, yellow for bandit, and added a floating (redish?) gem for easier spotting...omg it is amazing in guiding lands.
I used to use this in vanilla, but haven't really found it necessary in Iceborne.

Good on them for updating so fast though.