• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did long-time fans of the series end up thinking of this DLC btw?

It's generally considered a huge improvement over the base game by adding a lot of QoL features and popular monsters from previous games (Zinogre, Nargacuga, Glavenus, Gold/Silver Rath, etc.)

I think 4U is still the most popular, though.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We've had a lot of different issues with people coming in from public invites from OTs.

One guy came in, made 5 or 6 alts (all similar to each other, which was dumb, but convenient for us), and then proceeded to call people names, go on console war rants, and attempt to troll other people into arguing with him.

The worst was a guy who came in and started spamming Avengers spoilers, and also whispering/direct messaging people spoilers, and then eventually moving onto whispering/direct messaging people sexually suggestive messages about children. I banned him, reported him to Era admins, and reported him to Discord's actual staff/admins.

So yeah, regardless of how inefficient and/or annoying it is to not have a public infinite use invite for people in this thread to just click on, I'd prefer not to deal with public invites ever again.

Don't forget the biggest crime, which is someone started calling the Guiding Lands "Glands."

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Well now. I just ran into the Barioth for the first time and it proceeded to beat the living hell out of me, he was having none of my bullshit. I am finally getting into the Iceborne content on PC and just got my teeth kicked in for the first time. Ok jerkwad time for round 2...

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Someone earlier who I can't find now mentioned Dung Pods working differently, and yeah I'm starting to see that. Hit one monster, both of them leave the area and go to a new area together. Or, one Black Diablos last night got hit by a couple and just proceeded to completely ignore them and come at me trying to fuck me up. Legiana, Barioth, and Tigrex are also assholes who won't go away.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
It's generally considered a huge improvement over the base game by adding a lot of QoL features and popular monsters from previous games (Zinogre, Nargacuga, Glavenus, Gold/Silver Rath, etc.)

I think 4U is still the most popular, though.
My favorite thing is the new moves. They're amazing at giving more meaningful options during a fight.

The Neopterons and Temnocerans will return, someday...

Actually, given that they added Rajang who doesn't share a skeleton with anything else, I wonder if that's going to be one of the next ones.
I feel like they want to keep folks interested in the endgame, so it doesn't make a ton of sense to throw in someone like Nerscylla after folks like Rajang and Safi'jiiva, as deserving as she is to be in the game. That said, I wonder if they'd be crazy enough to do the likes of something more exotic for an encounter, like Dalamadur (he's kind of in the game already, given that most of the Rotten Vale is his remains) or, RNGesus willing, Ahtal-Ka for the folks that think that Shara Ishvalda is an impressive and crazy final boss fight.

...it's so totally going to be more subspecies, variants and returning elders. That said, I do feel a lot better about Gore Magala (and Shagaru, because why not) being able to get in at some point, since it has a unique mechanic that can also bring about a further tier to the endgame if they so choose, and it's not like the skeleton isn't already in the game.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm already exhausted at the thought of a Monster Hunter game on next gen hardware. The future is bright for this franchise.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nerscylla fucking sucks, the last thing I need in this game is a giant hairy HD-resolution spider running around trying to kill me.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was in a Wapoint interview where the director basically said yeah they could bring back Nerscylla or Seltas Queen, but the amount of bang they'd get from their buck would be nothing compared to bringing back Tigrex and having the skeleton ready for Narga and Barioth.

So what I'm saying is, if they do bring the bugs back, give us more bugs than just those.

I think it was in a Wapoint interview where the director basically said yeah they could bring back Nercylla or Seltas Queen, but the amount of bang they'd get from their buck would be nothing compared to bringing back Tigrex and having the skeleton ready for Narga and Barioth.

So what I'm saying is, if they do bring the bugs back, give us more bugs than just those.
Oh, I'm sure they've had some crazy ideas for new insects since MH4. It may finally be time to traumatize people further with a centipede that adopts Najarala's skeleton.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game is currently number 3 on steam concurrent player chart and peaked at 290k players in the last couple of days.

To put that number into perspective the base game launch peaked in the high 300ks. That's a stellar attach rate and shows that people are in to the game.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I feel like they want to keep folks interested in the endgame, so it doesn't make a ton of sense to throw in someone like Nerscylla after folks like Rajang and Safi'jiiva, as deserving as she is to be in the game. That said, I wonder if they'd be crazy enough to do the likes of something more exotic for an encounter, like Dalamadur (he's kind of in the game already, given that most of the Rotten Vale is his remains) or, RNGesus willing, Ahtal-Ka for the folks that think that Shara Ishvalda is an impressive and crazy final boss fight.

...it's so totally going to be more subspecies, variants and returning elders. That said, I do feel a lot better about Gore Magala (and Shagaru, because why not) being able to get in at some point, since it has a unique mechanic that can also bring about a further tier to the endgame if they so choose, and it's not like the skeleton isn't already in the game.
I'd love to see Gore (and Shagaru... and chaotic), but I'd be skeptical that they bring back frenzied monsters when they've already got tempering doing something similar.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
If they add the neopterons back, I would fucking love Seltas Queen. Give me my Voltron bug, Capcom.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I want giant centipedes (meterpedes?), redesigned vespoid queen. Bring back all the insects. Not forgetting daimyos too, but with different designs.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd also love to see Snake Wyverns in HD. The arachnids would look absolutely terrifying with more polygons yeah.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all talking about new monsters, I'm over here just praying we actually get something other than more arch tempered again.

I know it's all free content, but I'm really hoping they open the floodgates on subspecies and varients since it seems 'cheaper' to produce. Rusted Kushala seems like a lock, given the tease in game, but subs like jade barroth and sand barioth need some love. Some nice skill distribution or unexpected set bonuses would be great in making non elder/endgame monster pieces relevant.

Y'all talking about new monsters, I'm over here just praying we actually get something other than more arch tempered again.

I know it's all free content, but I'm really hoping they open the floodgates on subspecies and varients since it seems 'cheaper' to produce. Rusted Kushala seems like a lock, given the tease in game, but subs like jade barroth and sand barioth need some love. Some nice skill distribution or unexpected set bonuses would be great in making non elder/endgame monster pieces relevant.
I do hope that they bring back some of the long dormant subspecies as bonus releases. It's pretty crazy that some of them haven't been in a game since MH3U, and even something crazy like Lucent Nargacuga could stand to make a comeback.

...yes, I'm fully aware of saying just Lucent is enough to trigger some genuine desire sensor PTSD.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I do hope that they bring back some of the long dormant subspecies as bonus releases. It's pretty crazy that some of them haven't been in a game since MH3U, and even something crazy like Lucent Nargacuga could stand to make a comeback.

...yes, I'm fully aware of saying just Lucent is enough to trigger some genuine desire sensor PTSD.

Oh my God. I forgot all about that pain. That would be magical.

Lucent is basically arch tempered in design, considering is the same behavior but always rage mode and spiky, on top of the occasional invis. It would be magical if ATs were just subspecies.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

I never faught the lucent one, but I'm sure it's better than the Silverwind.

I never faught the lucent one, but I'm sure it's better than the Silverwind.
Oh, Lucent is nowhere near the fuckery that Silverwind is, as it's a fight that's based more of guesswork on where it moves to next (he has the gimmick of turning invisible on a set interval) and dealing with some nasty strong poison attributes to its tail spikes. The real fight begins for the grind on its ultra-rare mat, the notorious Cloudy Moonshard.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Any problems with super rare drops (moonshards, skypiercers, etc.) fall apart the moment the game gives you investigations and the ability to meld the drops.

Lucent would be fine.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Decos that don't actually exist in this game are Handicraft +2 and Attack+2.

Y'all aint gonna convince me otherwise.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lemme flex a 'lil...

XShEhcP.jpg

But I'd say Vitality/Tenderizer is currently the most sought after level 4 jewel. Attack jewel, not so much anymore.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So now that I've hit end game, what should I be aiming for exactly?

Guiding lands for materials to augment weapons and armor as well as upgrade charms

Tempered Investigations will come tour way once you start hunting tempered monsters in the guiding lands as you level up the regions

Use these tempered Investigations for chances at rare lvl4 decorations

Other than that you can be on the lookout for upcoming event quests and the new siege monster that should be rotating in shortly

Have fun!

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having trouble getting back into this. My save from launch is 200+ hrs. I kinda stopped playing around when they were introducing the tempered monsters and that one monster that was like someone combined a T-rex with a fat python (lol i cannot recall the name). Anyway, now I'm fucking lost. I don't remember anything, like core mechanics, and the deeper stuff like my custom quick menus and loadouts, projects, etc... it's really intimidating to go through. I don't even know where to begin. The grapple was easy enough, but how to catch up, and remember all the systems the game taught me the first time, it's really intimidating. I keep turning the game off after a few mins like there's no way I can remember all this stuff. lol. :(

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I farmed Tempered T3 investigations for most of the holidays and I finally managed to get a Handicraft +2 deco from a Tempered Barioth.

These drop rates are fucked.
Yeah, i really wish there was some way to guarantee better decorations. Like, let me destroy 20 rarity 10 decos at the melder for 1 rarity 12 or something. Granted there are garbage rarity 12 decos too...

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So now that I've hit end game, what should I be aiming for exactly?

The end game is building whatever you want and trying builds. Then going into the guiding lands and getting the mats to upgrade those weapons and armor to squeeze more dps/survivability from them. There is always the tempered hunt for decos that can blow open builds with efficiency etc, but that's an RNG game you can't control while the min maxing of weapons you can.

Save all the summon tickets you earn in GL for yourself. Level the areas through other peoples games trying to collect one of everything from an areas level so it unlocks in the melder.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Lemme flex a 'lil...

XShEhcP.jpg

But I'd say Vitality/Tenderizer is currently the most sought after level 4 jewel. Attack jewel, not so much anymore.
Ha yeah my first one dropped earlier today. I have a bunch of Crit/Vits but just 1 Tenderizer/Vit.

The Attack one I don't really care for, but I do really want 1 Handi+2

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i saw a discord friend got attack+ jewel yesterday
i haven't really farmed decos since i don't think it's that necessary anymore for me
i guess guard up is the only one i kinda want to truly finish the shield spread hbg build but even without guard up it's already very strong

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Don't forget the biggest crime, which is someone started calling the Guiding Lands "Glands."
Let me guess... They were a Gun Lance user?

I'd say only because Vitality/Tenderizer and Vitality/Critical Boost are actually attainable. Pure level 4 attack jewel is definitely more valuable though.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

I got attack+ so long ago and I don't even need it lol.

I think handicraft+ and tend/vit are the only ones I'm missing at this point. Not that I need them anymore for my builds. but it will be nice to have the whole collection.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was doing the first MR Rathalos quest, and near the end right before capturing it, I heard the loudest fucking roar ever. It wasn't the Rathalos. Wtf was that?

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Are HH users supposed to do way way less damage than everyone else? I understand they are support but if they are doing less than 10% of the monster's HP is that normal? Do their buffs really make up for the DPS loss?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Raider Rider would be so much better if the game didn't struggle so much with determining whether or not you're actually in combat.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia

People tend to dislike subspecies as being hardly new content but I'd be fine with Jade Barroth and Blangonga to increase the amount of monsters that dwell in the hoarfrost reach.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Raider Rider would be so much better if the game didn't struggle so much with determining whether or not you're actually in combat.
My least favourite thing about Raider Ride is how, the first time you mount, you get a cute animation. I want to sharpen my weapon and pop a might seed, not lurch around until my Palico says "it's going to track the monster!" I know it is, mate. We've done it a thousand times.

This game is full of cool little touches like that, touches I now hate. At least when the Smithy tries to make conversation I can skip it in a second.

edit: I do really love the little touches the first few times though. The other day, I was flying down to the third level of Safi, and I noticed how adorable and dorky the wingdrakes little legs are, flopping and kinda swimming through the air. Every day I notice some detail in this game and it's great.

Just don't slow me down when I want to kill a thing.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Are HH users supposed to do way way less damage than everyone else? I understand they are support but if they are doing less than 10% of the monster's HP is that normal? Do their buffs really make up for the DPS loss?

That seems low.

If they bring the right songs by looking at the weapon selection of the team, and those buffs are on good players, yes it can easily make the difference. Things like high earplugs or wind/tremor resistance on the right monsters, constant heals on shit like teo/Luna flame auras, or near infinite stamina on certain classes like DB and bow can elevate dps significantly. Large attack up on 3 great players is almost another dps with the multiplicative nature of its buff

So many players ignore defensive or QoL skills and buffs, much less use items like dash juice every fight, because they chase after a damage meta and ignore what having greater attack windows or need to heal, can add. A decent HH can easily fill in those gaps, but again it comes down to the players they are buffing. On anything less than 4 players though, I kind of give HH the side eye in terms of damage contribution though, with the way HP scaling works now. But they are so rare anyway I almost never think about it

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How do I uninstall Astera? They keep taking me back there for any hunts in vanilla areas, and it's pissing me off.