• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
very strange day. stopped playing around 3 hours ago, worked out, took a shower and when I came back I notice the game is still running. I can't stop it from running, open another game just fine. Well alright, decide to restart my pc and find out that I have to reinstall the game, anyone else have this happen to them?

Edit: never mind, the "reinstall" was rather short, booted up the game just fine in 2 minutes, got scared for a second

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No word from the English account yet. Maybe they've been too busy with the PC fixes lol.

Hoping for a new/returning monster...

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Namielle is GOAT. Ruiner on the other hand... screams and immediately follows it by a jumping attack. Screw him and his spikes.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
The guiding lands changes since the console release are a blessing. I remember the grind being insane. This time I managed to max out 2 zones in barely 2 evenings with very limited game time.

Nov 25, 2017
Finland
On PC. Anyone else gotten crashes right at the moment when you make a kill/catch and the counter goes down? Out of the last 5 hunts 4 have crashed. That's basically quite a bit of time, effort and found crap wasted right there. Got the game on the 9th and in the 37 hours I've put into this I haven't experienced crashed before this thing going on. Nothing changed on the computer, nor drivers updated. Wonder if its an issue of me having too much software open? 32RAM should tackle that, though. Its not like I'm running Adobe Premiere while gaming. Just the usual browsers n stuff.

Also, pondering about the element damages on the weapons now that I made it to Iceborne.

Is fire the most useful? Or, is there a drastic difference here between things? For some reason the weapons trees seem to end a lot on ice or water, which is unfortunate (I guess) given the climate and environments in Iceborne.

I've been playing with the katana thingy. Fairly good in AoE and coherent in battle orientatien. Feel tempted to try something else, but I'm not sure what. Gotta give that practice room a go.

Thanks!

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Namielle is pretty easy, but you have to be patient. The hitzones are bad when she's in full pearlescent mode, but you just need to accept you'll be doing crappy damage for a bit. You'll also need to be careful when there's water everywhere or when she's doing the flying attacks. Just take your time. When she does her super-move and loses the pearlescent armour you should be much more aggressive.
Clutching the tail is pretty safe, and a good way to avoid the 360 noscope water blasts.

Of course, I've been checking my L7 Guiding highlands for Tempered Namielle between every quest for the last 20-30 hunts. Nothing.
One day I'll get a health augment. And then I'll only need a dozen or so more for all my other R12 weapons.

Ruiner is much harder solo, because he is just so relentless when he's angry. Multiplayer is very different. He's still very vulnerable to trips and KOs so he spends a lot of time downed. However, he also eats unprepared players for breakfast, so answering an SOS is a bit risky (I never consider it if unless there are at least 3 faints, or the other players have an insane hunter rank).
I found that the Shieldspire Palico was better than the Vigorwasp, since it lets you take the heat off when he just won't stop attacking you.

Kirin is my most hated dragon. Tempered Kirin will mess you up badly when you make a mistake, no matter how much lighting resist you stack. There's a T.Kirin+T.Namielle optional for a late-game mantle upgrade. I lost 2 faints to Kirin, so I had the sweatiest 1-faint fight ever with Tempered Namielle.

Tempered Rajang was just murdering my team last night. It was pretty funny seeing everyone gradually switch from DPS GL farming builds to more defensive builds over the course of the fight. Using lance/counter-claw against him felt like trying to walk a very strong and badly-behaved dog.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't had much trouble with the expansion so far but Velkhana is murdering me. I even have 20+ ice resist and got her up to the point she fell asleep but still messed up. Not getting a ton of opportunities for True Charge slash either, unless I manage to mount or smash her into a wall.
Damn that tail is quick.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So one the thing I would like them to alter are the monster avatars on the GL departing menu. If a tempered version is on the list it should should display their avatar with the purple outline. As of now if I want to snipe for a tempered elder I would have to gamble and load into GL, which on the console versions takes up to 3 minutes at a time to load the map.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you Safi for letting me build this meta ass set with HB3 and 20 hits of purple sharpness with Master's Touch. So glad Acidic Glavenus isn't the best GS anymore.

EOUMBqOUUAEVUPa

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
So far Glavenus, Nami and Ruiner were my fav fights and the best made ones.

Velkhana is REALLY meh and Blackveil Val gets countered by a char rofl.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
Stumbled upon an awesome lance build. Maximum might (Level 5) + Guard (The higher the better for stamina retention, alternatively use stamina pots)

Stack with crit boost. I'm now doing around 100 damage per hit consistently and this isn't even with end game weapons. I have about 80% crit chance too.

Can't get hit whilst I crit!

Did it solo too, almost ran out of time ... and to be fair Odogaron did most of the work ...
As much as I like HH, I need another weapon for the Tigrex/Nargacuga types, fighting them with it is a real nightmare with how they bounce everywhere.
I've fought so damn many pseudowyverns over the years that they don't really have the capacity to throw anything at me that I haven't seen before, so I don't struggle much with them here. Barioth, amusingly enough, is the only one with some significant new tricks up his sleeve with him being able to use the environment more than he did before for pounce setups, but as always, breaking the forelimb claws gives you all the breathing room in the world to avoid the worst of it all.

Brachydios, on the other hand? Yeah, that guy is a dickhead.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
So far Glavenus, Nami and Ruiner were my fav fights and the best made ones.

Velkhana is REALLY meh and Blackveil Val gets countered by a char rofl.
Have you fought
the actual ruiner nergigante or just the pre-shara fight?
if it's the latter, you're in for a treat.
the real fight once you hit MR 100 is way better!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I've been using the dual blades for so damn long, kinda forgot about all the other weapons. I'm gonna check and see what my next weapon in Iceborne should be, but I rather try them out first. Am I just remembering it wrong, or can you try all the weapons for free? I could swear it was in the training area......

Also, what tree should I go for? Story wise I'm at Brachydios and Tigrex.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I've been using the dual blades for so damn long, kinda forgot about all the other weapons. I'm gonna check and see what my next weapon in Iceborne should be, but I rather try them out first. Am I just remembering it wrong, or can you try all the weapons for free? I could swear it was in the training area......

Also, what tree should I go for? Story wise I'm at Brachydios and Tigrex.
You get one of each weapon at the beginning of world, you can try them out in the training area or in a quest really, though they're low rank power so don't go too crazy without upgrading.You own them (unless you sold them).

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I was told it actually isn't that different. I obliterated the pre end of tutorial(story) one.
I think it is a lot different.
his dive bomb attacks actually target you instead of just going straight down. He has a couple moves he didn't use and gets incredibly aggressive at the end

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I was told it actually isn't that different. I obliterated the pre end of tutorial(story) one.

The real fight is indeed harder to an extent since you will have to engage with its rage mechanics in new ways that arent showcased in the story fight.

That said he isn't really that bad. In fact I really love the fight. It may be considered easier but I think its quite fair! The lethality and risk is always present but if you know your way around him victory is always attainable

No bullshit.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is a lot different.
his dive bomb attacks actually target you instead of just going straight down. He has a couple moves he didn't use and gets incredibly aggressive at the end
Yeah I don't think that will be an issue especially for a weeb blade master like me.
The real fight is indeed harder to an extent since you will have to engage with its rage mechanics in new ways that arent showcased in the story fight.

That said he isn't really that bad. In fact I really love the fight. It may be considered easier but I think its quite fair! The lethality and risk is always present but if you know your way around him victory is always attainable

No bullshit.
Nice, can't wait to get to him.

I held off going to the guiding lands for a day to catch all the endemic life that gives you achievements rofl. Still didn't get the nettle but I have everything else, minus the guiding lands one.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I have a question. Let's say I intend to start playing Monster Hunter World. Let's say I already own the game. Let's say I never really played it all that much before, save for 2-3 story missions at best. Do I have anything to gain by purchasing Iceborne right now while plowing through the content of World? New mechanics or useful items locked behind the paywall perhaps? Or, is Iceborne only focused on post-game content, for those who already went through World?

Thanks.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question. Let's say I intend to start playing Monster Hunter World. Let's say I already own the game. Let's say I never really played it all that much before, save for 2-3 story missions at best. Do I have anything to gain by purchasing Iceborne right now while plowing through the content of World? New mechanics or useful items locked behind the paywall perhaps? Or, is Iceborne only focused on post-game content, for those who already went through World?

Thanks.

There is a new mechanic called the clutch claw that you can use throughout the base game story that you might find very useful once you get the hang of it.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I see, that's it!

And for a new weapon would the defender class be a good decision?
If you're going into master rank with it, no. They only are better than a couple master rank weapons and get outclassed quickly. If you're going through world, then absolutely. They upgrade earlier, cheaper, and stronger than the low and high rank weapons.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur

Thanks.
as BDS said, the clutch claw mechanic is lock behind iceborne purchase. think they effect the weakness exploit skill too for base game since the skill now incorporated soften/wounding to get full WE potentional.

Im not sure if the defender gears are lock behind iceborne purchase or not tho. those gears are basically use to speed thru the low and high ranks without needing to farm much before you get to master rank.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Do the monsters that you unlock in the Guiding Lands start appearing in other areas as well?
Yes, but drops exclusive to the guiding lands are just that, exclusive to the guiding lands. So (for example) to upgrade Stygian Zinogre and Rajang weapons you need their tempered drops from the guiding lands. You won't get them from running into them in other regions or doing an investigation.
Nergigante got nerfed to oblivion in iceborne imo, hes probabaly the easiest elder dragon now.
Are you making this assessment from the fight before Shara? If so, you haven't even really fought him yet.
Velkhana is definitely the easiest imo, followed by Teostra. Ruiner Nergigante is the most fun fight in the game imo. Nergigante was definitely the easiest (outside of the first fight when you have shit gear) in HR. Then again I may just think that because of how many times I fought him to get crowns and how efficient I got at it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I would like the fourth cultivation slot, but the quest is not yet in my list. Do I need to progress through the story some more first?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I would like the fourth cultivation slot, but the quest is not yet in my list. Do I need to progress through the story some more first?

I just recently did this quest myself and I have no idea what I did to originally unlock it. I think just keep knocking out optionals and progress the story as well as talking to the guy every once in awhile

Should unlock it naturally as I don't remember doing anything special