• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I have a couple Guiding Lands questions:
  1. If a monster, say, spawns in the Coral area and then moves to the Forest area, do I still get Coral points for breaking their parts/capturing them? What about in the mixed Coral/Forest transition area?
  2. If I'm in the Guiding Lands trying to grind Coral research, and someone else comes into my session and fights/kills something in the Forest area, does that fuck anything up for me? Like, when I turn in after they kill something in the Forest area, does that have a chance of deleveling my Coral or something?
  3. If someone joins your session and runs off and starts fighting their own thing, do you think that's rude? I'm sure the answer has to do with the answers to the above part, but it feels like there's some pretty wildly variant etiquette. Most people seem down to do whatever I need to do, but not everyone.
  4. Right now I'm at, like, Forest 5, Rotten/Wildspire 1 or 2, Coral 5. Should I delevel Forest to increase Coral faster?
I've basically only been starting my own sessions b/c of the above questions, which I'm to understand is not the best way of leveling. But I have to get Coral to 6 for Silver Rath. So, what the hell

Jun 23, 2019
Alright guys. I bought Iceborne a while ago and beat the first like 2-3 monsters and dropped the game. I want to get back into it, but it feels like I'm so far behind with my rocket GS. Should I just jump back in and start killing again or do I need to grind attack gems and try to level up?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Alright guys. I bought Iceborne a while ago and beat the first like 2-3 monsters and dropped the game. I want to get back into it, but it feels like I'm so far behind with my rocket GS. Should I just jump back in and start killing again or do I need to grind attack gems and try to level up?
You need to make a weapon with Iceborne mats. That'll leave your old GS in the dust.

SnesCartman

Oct 25, 2017
Wait you mean fat ol Jagras!? Aww man don't tell me even his sword is beefier than the Rocket GS!? 😭
yeah for the early MR jagras really good. You can upgrade your Rocket GS, but it's not as good/top tier as before.

I have a couple Guiding Lands questions:
  1. If a monster, say, spawns in the Coral area and then moves to the Forest area, do I still get Coral points for breaking their parts/capturing them? What about in the mixed Coral/Forest transition area?
  2. If I'm in the Guiding Lands trying to grind Coral research, and someone else comes into my session and fights/kills something in the Forest area, does that fuck anything up for me? Like, when I turn in after they kill something in the Forest area, does that have a chance of deleveling my Coral or something?
  3. If someone joins your session and runs off and starts fighting their own thing, do you think that's rude? I'm sure the answer has to do with the answers to the above part, but it feels like there's some pretty wildly variant etiquette. Most people seem down to do whatever I need to do, but not everyone.
  4. Right now I'm at, like, Forest 5, Rotten/Wildspire 1 or 2, Coral 5. Should I delevel Forest to increase Coral faster?
I've basically only been starting my own sessions b/c of the above questions, which I'm to understand is not the best way of leveling. But I have to get Coral to 6 for Silver Rath. So, what the hell
i'll try to answer from what i know.
1. you'll get most exp from where the monster spawn (check map and look at what region that monster from)
2. yeah the exp applied to everyone on that sessions
3. i think that's rude, usually people hunt whatever the host is hunting
4. if you want fast exp just hunt solo the monster who's exclusive to that area. ex : kulu on Wildspire, tzizi on Coral, girros on rotten. To check where the monster will spawn go to menu then special tracks or check your lure. Another way is you find SOS level 1 you want and hunt exclusive moster.

Last edited:

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone dislike how much more tutorial like Safi'jiiva is? For something so deep into end game I cannot believe they went even further than Kulve with the explanations. It's every time you do the run too like we will somehow forget.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
So, as a Hunting Horn main on PC, in both vanilla and Iceborne, there's one word wrong in this comment:

healer

Hunting Horn had, and still has, amazing support capabilities. If you want to go more in-depth into your horn selection than picking the one with best damage and Attack Up (L), there are team comps and monsters matchups that you can help massively. Stamina Use Reduced, Earplugs, All Ailments Negated, (Elemental) Res Boost, All Wind Pressure Negated, etc.

But a dedicated healer horner has always been pretty bad in World, because the good heals are so slow to come out. It takes a couple of seconds for the first half of your modest heal song to actually get played, and the second half takes couple of more seconds, if it even ever comes out because you got hit or you cancelled out of it.
So that person in your team who's just not taking a step back to heal and taking dumb risks? You might help them in time, might not, or you'll just top them off when the party's healer Sword&Shield dealt with it immediately.

Okay, so reactive healing isn't good enough, maybe just keep spamming the heal songs? It was suspect but not entirely wrong in vanilla MHW because the Recital attacks were your best source of damage anyway... but in Iceborne, the echo attacks are HH's best source of damage, so now you're slowing down your DPS lining up and playing your heal songs.

And if you go the whole "Free Meal 3, Wide-Range 5" setup, being a Hunting Horn doesn't particularly add to that. In fact it may hinder it because the weapon is fairly slow to sheathe.

In the end, the best thing you can do is just heal incidentally with buffs, this comes from my own attempts to "healer horn" in the past. I just finished this ultra-regen set for fun from bits of Deviljho and Vaal Hazak, the regeneration on bazel horn stacks and amplifies the regeneration you get from gear. (The Deviljho Stamina Thief stuff I'll eventually switch to something less memey, I've still yet to have acces to ALL the monsters)

'well this is a hell of a post. Thanks for the info. HH sounds so helpful but I want to fully support. Heals galore. I ended going with SnS

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Got lucky and got some great randos for behemoth extreme. Had one cart left for fail and one of the hunters wasn't getting behind a rock and figured it was over. Then saw "sco performs JUMP" and duty completed holy shit I didn't know that was a thing. Dragoon layered armor get

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
thanks for hte info, that's helpful. also, based on some analysis that just popped—does that half coral/half forest area next to coral count as forest? if so, that sucks—it's real hard to fight anything in coral without it retreating there

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for hte info, that's helpful. also, based on some analysis that just popped—does that half coral/half forest area next to coral count as forest? if so, that sucks—it's real hard to fight anything in coral without it retreating there
If a monster is exclusive to a region then you barely get any points for the other regions, even if you fight them in the other region.

Example: I grinded a bunch of Namielles, and they constantly fled to various bits of the Forest region, and I never got enough Forest XP for it to actually matter.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
that's interesting, but seems like a different thing?

Has anyone else felt like the weapon popularities have become way more stratified in Iceborne? In base game, like, Long Sword would be twice as popular as HH or whatever, but I was never surprised to see any weapon in particular—everything showed up. Today I realized that over the past few days of Guiding Lands, I've seen one Lance, one IG, maybe two SnS's, maybe two Hunting Horns, and zero Hammers. Basically everyone I see is HBG, LBG, Charge Blade, or DBs, with some switch axes and long swords and stuff filling in here and there. Am I having a private experience, or are other people getting this too?

Also, how's Insect Glaive doing right now? I saw one for the first time in a while today and it looked pretty fun. The guy was aerial way more than I remember IG's being in base game, but maybe he was just playing poorly or something

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Also, how's Insect Glaive doing right now? I saw one for the first time in a while today and it looked pretty fun. The guy was aerial way more than I remember IG's being in base game, but maybe he was just playing poorly or something
I love it, but there's a lot of micromanagement. You have to keep all your buffs up, plus feed the kinsect with slinger ammo, plus it's a light weapon so it's harder to weaken monster parts, and it's annoying to aim the clutch claw because you have to press R3 to switch from kinsect aim mode.

You shouldn't be aerial a lot, but it's still good for mounting plus they added a downwards smash move in IB that does a lot of damage and marks a target for the kinsect.

Scything

Oct 25, 2017

Has anyone else felt like the weapon popularities have become way more stratified in Iceborne? In base game, like, Long Sword would be twice as popular as HH or whatever, but I was never surprised to see any weapon in particular—everything showed up. Today I realized that over the past few days of Guiding Lands, I've seen one Lance, one IG, maybe two SnS's, maybe two Hunting Horns, and zero Hammers. Basically everyone I see is HBG, LBG, Charge Blade, or DBs, with some switch axes and long swords and stuff filling in here and there. Am I having a private experience, or are other people getting this too?

About the same. Unless I was hunting with era or friends I rarely saw another HH user but sure saw a lot of longsword and hbg, and that never changed for me. Last first wyverian stats I saw had longsword at like 15%, and HH/lance around 2% which sounds about right.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone dislike how much more tutorial like Safi'jiiva is? For something so deep into end game I cannot believe they went even further than Kulve with the explanations. It's every time you do the run too like we will somehow forget.
Yeah, I didn't mind it at first but it gets really annoying after a while.

mausterhunter

Feb 1, 2019
Something hit me about Master Rank armor balance now that I'm at a point where I see most of them, and can plan out builds with the missing sets in mind:

You don't pay nearly enough in raw armor skill count for the flexibility of the Beta sets. I think MR Vaal set is a pretty clear example:
  • Helm: You lose 2 Dragon Attack for an extra level 4 slot. Even if for some goddamn reason you wanted the 2 Dragon Attack, you can exactly deco it in!
  • Mail: You lose 1 Dragon Attack to have level 1 and 3 slots upgrade into 2 and 4. Not quite an absolute objective upgrade, but mostly is.
  • Braces: You lose 1 Speed Eating, level 2 slot upgrades into level 4. There exist a bunch of Speed Eating level 4 combination decos, can just slot it back.
  • Coil: You lose 1 Peak Performance, level 1 slot upgrades into level 4. Same as above, bunch of combination decos that do the job.
  • Greaves: You lose 2 Dragon Attack, level 2 upgrades into level 4 again. This time you actually lost something, but it's just Dragon Attack
How it should work, is that Alpha set gives you a bargain for skills at cost of general build flexibility, but that is not how it pans out. I still remember, that in HR, I built a brand new laser-focused mixed set explicitly to beat Kirin, but will switching the decos in my "main set" just do that same job in MR, if anything ever gets that tough?

Yeah, once you have a good deco collection, there's almost never a reason to choose alpha over beta.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Something hit me about Master Rank armor balance now that I'm at a point where I see most of them, and can plan out builds with the missing sets in mind:

You don't pay nearly enough in raw armor skill count for the flexibility of the Beta sets. I think MR Vaal set is a pretty clear example:
  • Helm: You lose 2 Dragon Attack for an extra level 4 slot. Even if for some goddamn reason you wanted the 2 Dragon Attack, you can exactly deco it in!
  • Mail: You lose 1 Dragon Attack to have level 1 and 3 slots upgrade into 2 and 4. Not quite an absolute objective upgrade, but mostly is.
  • Braces: You lose 1 Speed Eating, level 2 slot upgrades into level 4. There exist a bunch of Speed Eating level 4 combination decos, can just slot it back.
  • Coil: You lose 1 Peak Performance, level 1 slot upgrades into level 4. Same as above, bunch of combination decos that do the job.
  • Greaves: You lose 2 Dragon Attack, level 2 upgrades into level 4 again. This time you actually lost something, but it's just Dragon Attack
How it should work, is that Alpha set gives you a bargain for skills at cost of general build flexibility, but that is not how it pans out. I still remember, that in HR, I built a brand new laser-focused mixed set explicitly to beat Kirin, but will switching the decos in my "main set" just do that same job in MR, if anything ever gets that tough?
The alpha sets seem to geared towards new players who don't have many decorations yet. For them the built-in skills gain in value.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Grinding ore for steamworks tickets don't seem worth it if you already have a good collection of decos from the base game. I don't think I've gotten any decent 4 slot from it. Mostly just more of the old ones.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Grinding ore for steamworks tickets don't seem worth it if you already have a good collection of decos from the base game. I don't think I've gotten any decent 4 slot from it. Mostly just more of the old ones.
Agreed. Once I got my bow gem and then unlocked Guiding Lands, I have more fuel that I need. Kinda wish you could burn higher amounts to speed things up.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The steamworks is mostly useful for the silver tickets. They get some of the best level 1-3 gems, that you'd normally have to grind HR Elder Dragons for.
EDIT: Unless you've been grinding those dragons for 1000's of hours, there are probably some rare jewels from the base game that you'll still want - and many are very hard (impossible?) to find at master rank since they're not in the drop tables for the R9-12 jewel rewards (guard up, for example).
I've picked up a good selection of the rarer bow gems mighty/spread/normal and others. Still no "guard up" though.

I've been trying to get used to the new SnS moves. Slinger burst into perfect rush seems like a really good damage dealer. It's annoying that slinger resets to regular shot every time you sheath.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to use the lures you've collected in another player's GL session? Doesn't seem like it, but maybe I've been overlooking something.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I've gotten used to it and enjoy making fun of their comments (since they're all sitting on the sidelines not doing a damn thing, lol).

The steamworks is mostly useful for the silver tickets. They get some of the best level 1-3 gems, that you'd normally have to grind HR Elder Dragons for.
If you've done that already then it's of little use. I've picked up a good selection of the rarer bow gems mighty/spread/normal and others. Still no "guard up" though.
I dunno, I grinded tempered elders for hundreds of hours in world and still find myself getting gems I've never gotten before from these melding tickets.

It doesn't matter where they go during the fight, only where they spawn and where they are initially from in the game world. For example: Legiana shows up in coral and hoarfrost, and therefore will spawn in either coral or tundra in the GL. Whichever it spawns from, you will get the most exp there. The other place you will get a tiny amount of exp for. For monsters like Namielle who only show up in the Coral region, you'll only get coral experience for (and a decent amount of it).

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn just downed a Namielle with randos in the same area we started fighting it in. Missy was either staggered, exhausted or knocked into a wall through out the fight. Poor thing had zero opening to flee.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, once you have a good deco collection, there's almost never a reason to choose alpha over beta.

There are some exceptions. For instance the Narga head alpha has PP2 and two lvl 1 slots, while the beta has PP1 and a lvl 4 + 1 slots. Artillery is a lvl 1 skill and you're stacking attack on a sticky build so getting to PP3 (with the alpha legs) and slotting in artillery 3 and as much attack as you can is a good choice. Artillery+4 deco dropped for me but even then I would need to slop peak performance elsewhere. I do use it on some variations of my build.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am hoping to get some more big decos for element resists. Got most of them apart from water. Nice just to add a little boost to sets when needed.

Currently I am not after anything in particular, once my mighty bow jewel dropped. Seem to do Steamworks after a good Guiding Lands farm and end up with 100s of random jewels I never use. Maybe melding them is best.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I played 800 hours of vanilla and all I got was one for normal shots, zero for pierce and zero for spread. In two events by simply doing the daily steam tickets I've got another one for normal, three pierce and two spread.
It's nice not to have your charm locked into those when playing ranged.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017

You might see way more HBG than before because Loyal Thunder (the Zinogre one) is absolutely busted. Like "a lot of people consider it the best weapon in the game by far" busted.

Spread ammo probably needs to get nerfed, and normal shots could use a buff. Loyal Thunder itself could probably use some needs also.

I wish they'd do something to buff the Guild Palace one since it's not great at anything and seems to have way higher recoil/reload in addition to lower ammo count for no real reason. I still use it because it looks great and I'm having fun trying to build to make it work, but dang.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
In Guiding Lands on PC - my my progress bars are silver instead of gold/yellow. Is this how it always was at low region levels?

I'm assuming it goes silver -> gold -> red but it's been a while since I hit Guiding Lands on PS4. I only recall gold on PS4.

Also, Dragonvein Coal starts showing at level 4, right?

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That quest in particular is tough to pick out, because it doesn't show as one of the

The one of those that bugs me is on Floor 3 the Serious Handler says something like "Maybe you can use those crags for cover!" You undoubtedly have done this already to survive a nuke on the previous floor or even on that same floor based on when she usually says that.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I knocked out ??? from the Original release and ended up doing some extremely awful Witcher Leshen hunt thing...

What do I need to wrap up actually get to the Expansion content, I would like to completely avoid anything that resembles whatever they though that was.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So I knocked out ??? from the Original release and ended up doing some extremely awful Witcher Leshen hunt thing...

What do I need to wrap up actually get to the Expansion content, I would like to completely avoid anything that resembles whatever they though that was.
Once you've finished Xeno'jiva and the credits roll, you're done with MHW and can move directly onto iceborne. The old collaboration stuff will be there if you ever want to go back to that.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
The actual place they spawn on the map doesn't matter, just the region, which is shown on your map next to the monster icon at the bottom left. If a monster shows Coral, then it gives most points for coral(if it's exclusive to coral, like tzitzi, coral pukei, legiana until hoarfrost region on PC, namielle, silver rathalos and so on, it gives only points to coral, more of it too).

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017

You can go straight to Iceborne, but you'll want to go back to high-rank to finish the optional quests that unlock various mantles, boosters and meal/tree upgrades, if you haven't done them already.
Get a master weapon and armour from the early iceborne quests, then go back for the high-rank optionals. It'll make them a lot easier.
There's no need to bother with any high-rank event quests, since all the special rewards are worse than the new weapons/armour in iceborne.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
What mods y'all using on Iceborne (PC)? I'm using Clear Hunter ReShade and Item Light Pillars. What are some other essentials that won't break the game?
I´m also using the Light Pillars Mod and found another one a few days ago that I think is quite nice. It´s called "Change the color after destroy the parts", and it gives the monsters red scars when you break a part. Here is the link on nexusmods for it

Change the color after destroy the parts

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Feels good to speedrun Gold rathian in 7 minutes and I'm not even that good. I want to practice speedrunning Silver Rathalos, but kinda scared to do that...

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I find them pretty equal in terms of difficulty. Is Silver Rath supposed to be much stronger?

Him being in the air more often than Goldian alone makes him tougher for me. I also find his triple fire attacks while airborne harder to dodge than Goldian's big fire bomb.

Over all versions of Rathalos are harder than all versions of Rathians for me.