• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Vaal was corrupted by the Vale. It used to be a beautiful dragon but it spent too much time in the effluvia and now it's basically fucked.

Maybe it was a beautiful dragon with a rider that it loved. The rider died in the Vale, so Vaal stayed there like a dog sleeping on its master's grave. That's why it only remembers it can fly when you mount it.

I made a lore!
Nah. If a species hangs out in the Vale long enough to forge a symbiotic relationship with whatever makes the flesh-eating gas down there, then its wings would have atrophied and vanished a long time ago.

We see species that lose the ability to fly IRL in way less time than what that would take.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Nah. If a species hangs out in the Vale long enough to forge a symbiotic relationship with whatever makes the flesh-eating gas down there, then its wings would have atrophied and vanished a long time ago.

We see species that lose the ability to fly IRL in way less time than what that would take.
It's not a species, it's the same dragon. It's Gollum.

The way the story handles Elder Dragons is interesting. They normally talk about them as singular creatures, even though we kill loads. Like, there's clearly only one Nerg, and Ruiner Nerg is just OG Nerg after a bit of training. But then Rajang wounds a Kirin, so there's more than one of those.

edit: I mean MHW's story. I haven't played the older game so I don't know how they handle EDs.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
It's not a species, it's the same dragon. It's Gollum.

The way the story handles Elder Dragons is interesting. They normally talk about them as singular creatures, even though we kill loads. Like, there's clearly only one Nerg, and Ruiner Nerg is just OG Nerg after a bit of training. But then Rajang wounds a Kirin, so there's more than one of those.

edit: I mean MHW's story. I haven't played the older game so I don't know how they handle EDs.
I always interpreted it (both in world and previous games) as one but not the only one in existance. For example, Nergigante is the same Nergigante through all of World's story but that doesn't mean it's the only one in existance. It is a species, they are just rare to the point of being borderline mythology. Game mechanics are the only reason we see so many.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
IMO Vaal Hazak strongly resembles the remains of something that once was, practically an undead for lack of better way of describing it. It probably used its wings more often and its jaw was attached when it was still "alive".

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I always interpreted it (both in world and previous games) as one but not the only one in existance. For example, Nergigante is the same Nergigante through all of World's story but that doesn't mean it's the only one in existance. It is a species, they are just rare to the point of being borderline mythology. Game mechanics are the only reason we see so many.
That makes sense. Vaal could absolutely be one of a kind. It's hard to imagine one living anywhere but the Vale.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
I saw on reddit someone mention that there was an option to change how shiny drops are displayed in-game. I know there's a mod to change it on PC, but I looked through the regular in-game options and couldn't find anything there. Apparently it is on by default for the Bandit Mantle drops and those are very easy to spot but I'd like to crank it up for regular shiny drops as well but I can't find the option to do so.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I saw on reddit someone mention that there was an option to change how shiny drops are displayed in-game. I know there's a mod to change it on PC, but I looked through the regular in-game options and couldn't find anything there. Apparently it is on by default for the Bandit Mantle drops and those are very easy to spot but I'd like to crank it up for regular shiny drops as well but I can't find the option to do so.
I've never heard of that. Bandit mantle drops are gold instead of white, but that's because they're trade-in items instead of mats.

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of that. Bandit mantle drops are gold instead of white, but that's because they're trade-in items instead of mats.

I'm talking about the particle effects around the drop. Bandit Mantle drops have this huge gold glow around them with a bit of height while regular monster drops are this little speck.

Maybe I'll just install one of those PC mods and call it a day.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
We can't argue that Vaal isn't a species because Blackveil exists.

You telling me that's ALSO a monster that we killed in base game that came back, even though the game didn't spell it out for us like they did with Nerg?

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
We can't argue that Vaal isn't a species because Blackveil exists.

You telling me that's ALSO a monster that we killed in base game that came back, even though the game didn't spell it out for us like they did with Nerg?
Well, it's a variant and we can't fight the original, so I interpreted it as being the same one but infested by the effluvia moss.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
How bad am I?

Hit 100 MR last night. Still never grapple hooked a monster into a wall and I still don't really know what I'm doing in the Guiding lands lol. I just hop on people's SOS and do what they're doing.

Reading tutorials is for the birds.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
IMO Vaal Hazak strongly resembles the remains of something that once was, practically an undead for lack of better way of describing it. It probably used its wings more often and its jaw was attached when it was still "alive".
Vaal's jaw design is based on real life deep sea fish, the stoplight loosejaw.

D0zRDqYZg9saKxcqxbcUdewrD4_YU9AxBXAZ0ByeKR0.jpg

The Rotten Vale in general is designed to be the deep sea to the Coral Highland's shallows; the way corpses rain down from above to nourish the Veil below is akin to real life "marine snow" of feces and carcasses sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

And we're right back to my original point: the logic of the series makes no sense at all with the gameplay loop requiring you to fight multiples of otherwise unique beasts, one of which is literally a unicorn, so just shut up and enjoy making your hats out of dragon rumps and ape horns.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And we're right back to my original point: the logic of the series makes no sense at all with the gameplay loop requiring you to fight multiples of otherwise unique beasts, one of which is literally a unicorn, so just shut up and enjoy making your hats out of dragon rumps and ape horns.
I don't see why it's impossible to enjoy that gameplay loop while still appreciating the clear creative effort that went into the worldbuilding.

Monster Hunter is one of the few fantasy video games out there that takes a naturalistic approach to character and environment design, and it's one of the reasons the monsters are so memorable for me.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Vaal's jaw design is based on real life deep sea fish, the stoplight loosejaw.

D0zRDqYZg9saKxcqxbcUdewrD4_YU9AxBXAZ0ByeKR0.jpg

The Rotten Vale in general is designed to be the deep sea to the Coral Highland's shallows; the way corpses rain down from above to nourish the Veil below is akin to real life "marine snow" of feces and carcasses sinking to the bottom of the ocean.
That is awesome, I did not know that was the basis on its non-jaw. Very cool, the designers never cease to amaze me.

I don't see why it's impossible to enjoy that gameplay loop while still appreciating the clear creative effort that went into the worldbuilding.

Monster Hunter is one of the few fantasy video games out there that takes a naturalistic approach to character and environment design, and it's one of the reasons the monsters are so memorable for me.
I just don't give the lore terribly much precedence over anything else. It's cool that they go the extra mile when other hunting games begin and end at "well, we gave it boobs this time," but I'm not going to lose sleep over something like Vaal having wings when it doesn't fly, or why cats are making food that can make you carve just one more time.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
How bad am I?

Hit 100 MR last night. Still never grapple hooked a monster into a wall and I still don't really know what I'm doing in the Guiding lands lol. I just hop on people's SOS and do what they're doing.

lol, if you are having a good time who gives a shit. There are much higher SOS crimes than people not immediately going for a head smash the instant the opportunity presents itself. Weakening parts or making good slinger ammo, depending on what weapon you use, is the clutch claw thing in multiplayer I see people neglecting far more, personally.

That said you can switch the training room to the big cart thing (talk to the palico) and practice rotating and launching if you just want to get a feel for it with no pressure. The first time I tried to do it in multiplayer I got back to back bad angles sending the monster into a corner where it was a step away from bashing its head. I felt like garbage and it is the only time I have seen a japanese player spam a rage sticker. Sorry dude.

Moral of the story, I should have just waited for it to be sitting in a good spot rather than rush for the big smash. Small adjustment and good to go. If you miss the first few you try don't sweat it. You get a feel for the distance pretty fast and like everything you learn the little tells and quirks for each monster the more you do it.

Or if you don't wanna bother just hop on occasionally and blast some parts and you are more than contributing from that side of things imo

Jun 23, 2019
Hey peeps. Trying to get back into MHW. You guys know where to find a Fey Wyvern Gem? You all told me to swap out my old rocket GS from the base game and make a Great Jagras GS to start.

Sep 23, 2019
Ruiner Nerg can be nasty solo, since there are a few times where he'll go crazily enraged and just constantly attack you. It's easy to get caught in between dives, run out of stamina or get chipped to death.
Multiplayer, he seems relatively easy. He splits his aggro so you rarely have to worry about getting 2 or 3-shot. And he flinches/trips quite easily.
Runiner is also the final monster you face, so you have end game equipment to beat him with.

HR Nerg was a lot nastier because you have crappy armour weapons when you first meet him. And his super-divebomb had a big enough AoE to cart several people in multiplayer if they weren't paying attention.

I'm surprised Ruiner didn't get the "backhop-bomb" move from AT nerg. That was an absolute bastard to dodge.

Oh, and for science (and a potential shield jewel) I checked how the gold/silver tickets are seeded.
I had an idea that they might be rolled when you get the ticket, preventing savescumming at the melder but NOT preventing save scumming by re-running the steamworks (i.e. loading a save from before you spent your coal).
In conclusion, save scumming for jewels is impossible. The steamworks is not pre-seeded (you win a different number of tickets if you reload) but the silver/gold melds are pre-seeded. You'll still get the same jewels in the same order.
The "backhop-bomb" also known as pepega move is there though
Tempered Ruiner has that move
Its overall a bit slower but it gains a second hitzone with spikes on his hand

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
lol, if you are having a good time who gives a shit. There are much higher SOS crimes than people not immediately going for a head smash the instant the opportunity presents itself. Weakening parts or making good slinger ammo, depending on what weapon you use, is the clutch claw thing in multiplayer I see people neglecting far more, personally.

That said you can switch the training room to the big cart thing (talk to the palico) and practice rotating and launching if you just want to get a feel for it with no pressure. The first time I tried to do it in multiplayer I got back to back bad angles sending the monster into a corner where it was a step away from bashing its head. I felt like garbage and it is the only time I have seen a japanese player spam a rage sticker. Sorry dude.

Moral of the story, I should have just waited for it to be sitting in a good spot rather than rush for the big smash. Small adjustment and good to go. If you miss the first few you try don't sweat it. You get a feel for the distance pretty fast and like everything you learn the little tells and quirks for each monster the more you do it.

Or if you don't wanna bother just hop on occasionally and blast some parts and you are more than contributing from that side of things imo
I do want to learn how to do it. I tried and got bucked off immediately. Tried again, same thing. Then I told myself I'll look it up properly and just never did. There's always someone that can do it so I've been alright. I gotta learn it for ME, though.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I do want to learn how to do it. I tried and got bucked off immediately. Tried again, same thing. Then I told myself I'll look it up properly and just never did. There's always someone that can do it so I've been alright. I gotta learn it for ME, though.
Sorry, should have mentioned it. This stuff becomes second nature after a while.

You can only do it when the monster is not enraged. There is an eye icon (looks a bit like a taco) on the monster in the minimap. If it is yellow good to go. Red it is enraged and will buck you off.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City

Kirin/qilin is an East Asian mythological creature unrelated to western unicorns.
Yeah Iceborne Nergi is definitely a lot easier than old Nergi imo, his new moves are a lot easier to dodge if you see the tell and he seems to topple over even more than before. Tempered is just more dmg but I rarely get hit by him so doesn't really matter much and bleeding is a non factor if you have jerkies. Hopefully the AT version they'll add eventually is substantially powered up, AT Nergi was the best monster of vanilla imo.

Funny thing is they toned down Nerg specifically bc some players complained about AT Nerg lol. AT Nerg honestly wasn't even hard once you realized he just keeps his aggressive tempo the entire fight instead of aggressive -> down tempo -> aggressive theme that all other monsters adhered to up to that point.

I was able to get down to 8-10m runs on AT Nerg back in base once I was used to the tempo of the fight. I'd say out of all the fights in MH base, his forced you to become a better player more than any other AT fight.

The easiest was still AT Xeno imo

By comparison I felt that ruiner was a push over.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am really hyped for Raging Brachy, finally one of my favorite monsters, or its variant, will have the fight it deserves in world instead of being a mid level monster
Furious Rajang tho, let's just say that I dont have fond memories of it

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
How bad am I?

You're not that bad. I hardly ever grapple monsters into walls either. I probably would've ignored the CC altogether if it wasn't baked into the Hammer's moveset as much as it is.

It's one of the reasons I play less with weapons like Swaxe and SnS . You have to soften monster parts manually and it's just not much fun to me. And you have to do it if you don't want endgame hunts to take forever.

Same with the wall smashing. It feels so gimmicky and not worth the trouble. Al the damage I do with a wall smash can be done in the same amount of time with regular golfswing combos or spin attacks. The knockdown ain't worth it either because by the time I arrive at the monster's head, take out the hammer and store a charge, the monster is already getting back up again.

So anytime a monster flinches I just take the opportunity to whale at its head and potentially KO it, which leaves me in a *much* better position to deal more damage than a wall smash or a mount.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dont feel bad for being just ok at this game, i play MH for almost a decade now and I still do stupid things in a lot of hunts.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
One of the most compelling reasons to learn wallbanging is for all the extra shinies you get in GL. Wallbang plus Geologist deco is the best way to farm rare augment mats.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Hey, SoH I don't know if it's too soon for you to hop online but if you want an invite for the squad here's the session id.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I'll be online, at least, for a couple of hours.

Crooked Eye

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 26, 2017
Great, the Rajang update has pretty much killed this game for me. Nothing but constant ERR12 crashes. I've tried everything to try and resolve it - system restores, driver rollbacks, 1080p, 1440p, capped 60fps amongst other things but nothing's worked. I'm beyond frustrated at this point.

Game worked flawlessly up until the update, looks like I'll have to take a forced break until Capcom sort it out.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Oh Furious Rajang. GREAT. Shout outs to my Hammer and HH homies! These fights will be hell. Kinda disappointed we aren't getting 1 old variant and 1 new instead of 2 old ones, but Ill enjoy them regardless.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Been playing the Vanilla MHW lately, really liking it a lot.

I've tried some of the older portable games here and there, and while I enjoyed them at points, they never really grabbed me.

Glad I finally got sucked in. Still experimenting with weapons, but I think I've finally settled on my three favourites, in order of 1st favorite to 3rd:

1.Heavy Bowgun
2. Bow and Arrow
3. Hammer

for some reason the hammer is the only melee weapon I really and truly enjoy using. Most of the time I rock the HBG, I think this game works great as a shooter. I remember the ranged weapons on the older MH games being hard to use, but not now. Tons of fun.

any other people that prefer to play ranged weapons?

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Been playing the Vanilla MHW lately, really liking it a lot.

I've tried some of the older portable games here and there, and while I enjoyed them at points, they never really grabbed me.

Glad I finally got sucked in. Still experimenting with weapons, but I think I've finally settled on my three favourites, in order of 1st favorite to 3rd:

1.Heavy Bowgun
2. Bow and Arrow
3. Hammer

for some reason the hammer is the only melee weapon I really and truly enjoy using. Most of the time I rock the HBG, I think this game works great as a shooter. I remember the ranged weapons on the older MH games being hard to use, but not now. Tons of fun.

any other people that prefer to play ranged weapons?
I'm a 90% HBG user. The QoL changes made for guns in mhw compared to the old games is just so huge, it's so much more enjoyable to use now.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, should have mentioned it. This stuff becomes second nature after a while.

You can only do it when the monster is not enraged. There is an eye icon (looks a bit like a taco) on the monster in the minimap. If it is yellow good to go. Red it is enraged and will buck you off.
For sure, I'll try to get it down next couple sessions or so. Thanks!

One of the most compelling reasons to learn wallbanging is for all the extra shinies you get in GL. Wallbang plus Geologist deco is the best way to farm rare augment mats.
I'll definitely try to get the wall bang down.

You're not that bad. I hardly ever grapple monsters into walls either. I probably would've ignored the CC altogether if it wasn't baked into the Hammer's moveset as much as it is.

It's one of the reasons I play less with weapons like Swaxe and SnS . You have to soften monster parts manually and it's just not much fun to me. And you have to do it if you don't want endgame hunts to take forever.

Same with the wall smashing. It feels so gimmicky and not worth the trouble. Al the damage I do with a wall smash can be done in the same amount of time with regular golfswing combos or spin attacks. The knockdown ain't worth it either because by the time I arrive at the monster's head, take out the hammer and store a charge, the monster is already getting back up again.

So anytime a monster flinches I just take the opportunity to whale at its head and potentially KO it, which leaves me in a *much* better position to deal more damage than a wall smash or a mount.
I do feel like the damage I can do in the time it takes to wall bang won't be too much different, which is why I've kinda let myself not figure out how to do it. But it's nice to get some damage off with the monster being distracted and not really swinging at you.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I do feel like the damage I can do in the time it takes to wall bang won't be too much different, which is why I've kinda let myself not figure out how to do it. But it's nice to get some damage off with the monster being distracted and not really swinging at you.
While playing solo, there may even be an argument not to wallbang, depending on weapon and monster matchup, but in multiplayer the math changes too much.

A wall bang is a % of monster max HP, which is higher while scaled for multiplayer, and a downed monster creates an opening for 4 players instead of 1.