• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Lots of people are saying guard up jewels are outside the steamworks drop table, which lines up to my sample. As far as ecology goes, my belief in it went out the window the 47th time we discovered a monster vital to the ecosystem and followed up the discovery by chopping it appart.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
While playing solo, there may even be an argument not to wallbang, depending on weapon and monster matchup, but in multiplayer the math changes too much.

A wall bang is a % of monster max HP, which is higher while scaled for multiplayer, and a downed monster creates an opening for 4 players instead of 1.
I always feel like a Very Useful Hero when I get wangbangs in multiplayer.

edit: weird Freudian slip but I like it.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I think I've whacked in like 100 Silver Tickets to the melder in the last few days and still no Mighty Bow. What's even the point now after 500 hours of game time.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
Lots of people are saying guard up jewels are outside the steamworks drop table, which lines up to my sample. As far as ecology goes, my belief in it went out the window the 47th time we discovered a monster vital to the ecosystem and followed up the discovery by chopping it appart.
didnt i read a poster here said his friend goy a guard up in silver ticket and said it sucks meanwhile the poster said he doesnt know how good it is

but eitherway, i havent seen a protective polish, bow charge plus, gaurdup in my silvers at all.
it does sounds like those armor bonus drop could be not inlcuded in the silver ticket tables.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
xodGDmE.gif

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Also with head bashes sometimes with some monsters you just want a breather from keeping in its goddamned enraged state 95% of the fight. Unless coordinated enough to keep the bashes and topples cycling but easier said than done with some match ups and random SOS.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think I've whacked in like 100 Silver Tickets to the melder in the last few days and still no Mighty Bow. What's even the point now after 500 hours of game time.
Its Rarity 8, so you have better chance with the much rarer Gold Melding Ticket. Its a pure luck thing with the bow deco. I got mine after about 200 or so hours from melding during the last holiday. AFter that the steamworks goes rubbish.

Aug 13, 2019
I don't mean to tell you something you already know, but—if you've wounded the area by clutching and then attacking twice, the damage numbers from your attacks against that area will have a sort of 'box' effect around them with a small triangle in each corner. the damage boost should be very sizable, especially if you're running Weakness Exploit. and it'll help you break Vaal's parts to reveal hitboxes that take way more ele damage
The slinger shot is extremely useful actually. It does 2-3% of the monster's max HP depending on how tired it is FYI.

You know how monsters in Iceborne now turn to the side and stare at you for a bit while drooling when you stagger them sometimes? That's a special animation they added in Iceborne to give players a safe way to clutch claw. If you grapple onto them while they're in this animation, they will stay still like that for another moment longer, giving you a free opportunity to use the slinger shot or soften it. Slinger shot doesn't work if the monster's enraged BTW.

I don't use the "light" type weapons like bow that make monsters drop slinger ammo, but from what I understand even light weapons can create a weak point in one grapple by pressing circle, the button to turn the monster, twice before pressing triangle. It's something like this: you need to do 10 softening points to make a weak point, heavy weapons do 10 on their triangle attack and light weapons do 5, but the circle button action to turn the monster does 3. 3+3+5 gets the monster softened up. I think that both the circle button move and the slinger shot can make the monster enrage if you use them too much, so keep that in mind.

I took Blackveil on again and after a long fight... I still lost. Ran out of time. Honestly, I think Blackveil is just my Kryptonite. After that I tried again and sos flared and 20 minutes and 2 feints later Blackveil was down. I will never fight it again.

Thanks for the tips, though. I wasn't able to use them for Blackveil, but I did practice a bit against my new favorite punching bag, Namielle. The drop in difficulty is almost absurd. The Coral Pukei Pukei gave me more trouble. I mean, it still took me 45 minutes, but that's because I'm bad at this. I'll probably be eating these words later when I fight a stronger version of it. Thanks again!

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
While playing solo, there may even be an argument not to wallbang, depending on weapon and monster matchup, but in multiplayer the math changes too much.

A wall bang is a % of monster max HP, which is higher while scaled for multiplayer, and a downed monster creates an opening for 4 players instead of 1.

Makes sense

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Cool. How do you get rid of the HUD? I tried turning off all HUD elements in the options (PC) but there's still interface elements on screen. Is there a keyboard shortcut?
Yeah, you can disable a good amount, pretty much everything, except you still get pop-ups such as parts broken, footprints, buff messages etc., can be really annoying and was hoping there'd be mods to be able to play with the HUD disabled completely.
For stuff like this though I always leave my Palico behind since I don't want any of those messages popping up, I also quickly pick up any tracks or items that might get in the way, place my hunter where you not going to get a big icon saying stone for instance, and if the attack breaks a part I usually crop it out, or redo the shot until I get it looking clean.
But yeah, I do wish that stuff could be turned off completely, apart from just being able to play with a nice clean image, it'll also save me a lot of time when doing these specific captures. XD

I love these so much. How many "takes" do you need to do before you get them right?
Bazels not so bad since the dive is pretty predictable and a common attack, once in the air it'll usually fly across twice dropping scales before the dive, for an attack like this I'll time how long it takes before the weapon would make contact, time how long it takes for Bazel from initiating the dive to being in range at the right time for the attack, and sync them up. So for instance, it takes 3 seconds for the HH to land after pressing the attack button, Bazel takes 5 seconds from when he turns in the air to being in range, so as soon as Bazel makes his turn I'll wait a couple seconds, then initiate the attack. Then it's just a matter of repeating the fight for about an hour until you get a cool shot. :D

The stuff that takes longer or can be a real pain is trying to capture something that involves specific attacks from a Monster that's not too common, might only get one try every 4-5 mins, plus if wanting to capture during daytime or certain lighting conditions it might only be like a 10 minute window before having to wait 20 mins to get the same lightning conditions again. That kind of stuff I spend about an hour or so trying to get the shot, drop it and try again another day, sometimes it's like 4-5 hours but spread over a week for one specific capture.

Then others are just part of my normal playthrough, I usually have the HUD disabled and capture continuously, so whenever there's a cool moment I turn those into GIFs when I can.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, you can disable a good amount, pretty much everything, except you still get pop-ups such as parts broken, footprints, buff messages etc., can be really annoying and was hoping there'd be mods to be able to play with the HUD disabled completely.
For stuff like this though I always leave my Palico behind since I don't want any of those messages popping up, I also quickly pick up any tracks or items that might get in the way, place my hunter where you not going to get a big icon saying stone for instance, and if the attack breaks a part I usually crop it out, or redo the shot until I get it looking clean.
But yeah, I do wish that stuff could be turned off completely, apart from just being able to play with a nice clean image, it'll also save me a lot of time when doing these specific captures. XD

Bazels not so bad since the dive is pretty predictable and a common attack, once in the air it'll usually fly across twice dropping scales before the dive, for an attack like this I'll time how long it takes before the weapon would make contact, time how long it takes for Bazel from initiating the dive to being in range at the right time for the attack, and sync them up. So for instance, it takes 3 seconds for the HH to land after pressing the attack button, Bazel takes 5 seconds from when he turns in the air to being in range, so as soon as Bazel makes his turn I'll wait a couple seconds, then initiate the attack. Then it's just a matter of repeating the fight for about an hour until you get a cool shot. :D

The stuff that takes longer or can be a real pain is trying to capture something that involves specific attacks from a Monster that's not too common, might only get one try every 4-5 mins, plus if wanting to capture during daytime or certain lighting conditions it might only be like a 10 minute window before having to wait 20 mins to get the same lightning conditions again. That kind of stuff I spend about an hour or so trying to get the shot, drop it and try again another day, sometimes it's like 4-5 hours but spread over a week for one specific capture.

Then others are just part of my normal playthrough, I usually have the HUD disabled and capture continuously, so whenever there's a cool moment I turn those into GIFs when I can.

wow, dedication. Over the past few years I've become a 'no HUD snob',ie, I turn the HUD off as much as possible in any game I can. Always makes the experience much better.

my biggest pet peeve in games today is that they don't have enough HUD options. If I ruled gaming I would make it law that every game had a HUD toggle button. I would require it even to be mapped to a controller

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Its Rarity 8, so you have better chance with the much rarer Gold Melding Ticket. Its a pure luck thing with the bow deco. I got mine after about 200 or so hours from melding during the last holiday. AFter that the steamworks goes rubbish.

Gold melding tickets only gives 4 tier decos as far as I know, so no mighty bow there I'm afraid.

oldyella

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, SoH I don't know if it's too soon for you to hop online but if you want an invite for the squad here's the session id.

[Hidden content]

I'll be online, at least, for a couple of hours.
I'd like to get an invite too, if this room is still up. My PSN ID is oldyella

EDIT: I'm in the room but away for a little while; fixing up some grub for the family. Be back in a few

Last edited:

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh at this rate they won't get the servers fixed before the event is over. I have 70k fuel left I wanted to burn before it ended.

Ugh at this rate they won't get the servers fixed before the event is over. I have 70k fuel left I wanted to burn before it ended.
We'll definitely be compensated for the overdrive bonus rewards that we would have gotten, but it does suck to know that they really don't have a way of making up for how many potential VIP Gratitude Tickets you could have earned since that's entirely RNG.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me, or are Silver Rath investigations really rare? Have countless Gold Rath and even Rajangs already, but have a grand total of 1 Silver Rath and it's tempered.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
When you realize Shara's set trivializes both Savage Jho and Luna. Max Windproof, Tremor Res, Earplugs, and Flinch Free with like 95% mantle uptime is fun.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Is it just me, or are Silver Rath investigations really rare? Have countless Gold Rath and even Rajangs already, but have a grand total of 1 Silver Rath and it's tempered.
Just RNG, I got 13 silver rathalos investigations before I got gold rathian when I started getting them and I needed gold rathian A LOT more since I wanted weapon upgrades while I don't play elem builds(so silver rathalos is whatever).

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
When you realize Shara's set trivializes both Savage Jho and Luna. Max Windproof, Tremor Res, Earplugs, and Flinch Free with like 95% mantle uptime is fun.
My only two problems with the Shara set are that you have almost zero room for meaningful damage skills (especially for stuff like CB and Lance) and you never get to look at the set because you've always got a mantle on.

Yeah, make the coolest set in the game be the one that forces you to cover it up all the time. Nice going Capcom.

Oct 27, 2017
Which weapons make good use of element? I might dabble in some later on.

My only two problems with the Shara set are that you have almost zero room for meaningful damage skills (especially for stuff like CB and Lance) and you never get to look at the set because you've always got a mantle on.

Yeah, make the coolest set in the game be the one that forces you to cover it up all the time. Nice going Capcom.

I wonder if anyone made an invisible mantle mod on PC yet? That would be cool.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Do you maxed its research levels? I dont really have problems to get investogstions for most monsters

What's the best way to do this? Since it doesn't wander around I didn't know if it would be worth a lure just to do this or not.

Edit: NVM I didn't think it was maxed but just checked and it is. :/

Send your Palicos to MR Elder Recess. Got a bunch from that.

Been sending them there every time since before I even had seen one for the first time and nothing :/

RNG just isn't in my favor with this one.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
What's the best way to do this? Since it doesn't wander around I didn't know if it would be worth a lure just to do this or not.

Edit: NVM I didn't think it was maxed but just checked and it is. :/

Been sending them there every time since before I even had seen one for the first time and nothing :/

RNG just isn't in my favor with this one.
Have you fought him in an optional quest or just the GL? After I captured him in the GL I still couldn't get investigations for him until I fought him again in the arena. I assume any optional quest would work, though.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Have you fought him in an optional quest or just the GL? After I captured him in the GL I still couldn't get investigations for him until I fought him again in the arena. I assume any optional quest would work, though.

I've done the special arena and the Gold and Silver optional as soon as it was available. Just did it again for both LBG practice and hoping for parts I need.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The worst things about the frequent disconnects is the game taking all control away from you until you press through both prompts.

also who's idea was it to have the steam works take so long???? Let me press a button and it just finish instantly. 30k fuel and I'm just suppose to sit here and idle??? Bad game design.

Last edited:

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I might quit the game for a while if they show Furious Rajang winning turf wars with EDs, including Nergi. As someone who entered the series with MHW, and thus "grew up" with EDs like Nergigante, Vaal Hazak, etc. representing the most powerful monsters in the game, it has been severely off putting to see some overgrown gorilla come out of nowhere and tie with all of them (except Nerg I guess). Deviljho had this as well, but at least he would actually lose before Savage Jho made its entrance.

It feels cheap and for me it actually hurts the game because MHW is all about hunting in a world with an ecosystem that lives and feels natural.

I can see you did indeed start with World, because you're unfamiliar with what some of the Old World monsters are capable of, haha.

White Fatalis would fuck up any New World monster you threw at him, so be lucky it's not him (yet, anyway). He's basically the creator of all Elder Dragons in MH lore, and can literally disintegrate you with an instakill attack. As in, no KO and cart, you're just gone.

Nergi or Vaal couldn't do jack to a Fatalis, hell Safi would get washed.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo.. With the celebration winding down.

The fuck do I do with these 9 billion steam tickets? Make a monument to clockwork armor.. out of clockwork armor?