• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I can see you did indeed start with World, because you're unfamiliar with what some of the Old World monsters are capable of, haha.

White Fatalis would fuck up any New World monster you threw at him, so be lucky it's not him (yet, anyway). He's basically the creator of all Elder Dragons in MH lore, and can literally disintegrate you with an instakill attack. As in, no KO and cart, you're just gone.

Nergi or Vaal couldn't do jack to a Fatalis, hell Safi would get washed.
I mean, I'm not against this type of super strong DLC monster that can mop the floor with everything in World. Not per se. I've looked up Fatalis and he would be cool because he actually looks the part. Rajang doesn't, at all. He looks like a strong threat level 2 monster. Maybe borderline level 3 if I'm generious. Which would've been fine and I probably could have lived with Furious Rajang turning out to be ED level.

It doesn't help that he isn't actually that powerful. Mainly he's just cheap with zero recovery moves and an AI that blatantly reads your inputs. And he got a ton of base game and Iceborne monsters lined up and ready to job against him in turf wars.

You know which 5th generation monster also has tons of turf wars? Odogaron. You know who wins from some monsters, ties with others and actually loses badly against Elder Dragons like he's supposed to? Odogaron. You know who one of my favorite monsters is in World? Odogaron.

Another personal favorite, Bazelgeuse didn't get turf wars to begin with (except Deviljho, which at least is a tie) and, as mentioned, got his wings clipped and was confined to Elder's Recess in Iceborne.

I know the series is bigger than World and I know there is probably a basis for Deviljho and Rajang being as strong as they are. But Odogaron, Bazelgeuse, (Fulgur) Anjanath, even series mainstays like Rathalos and Diablos... these monsters were my introduction to Monster Hunter, they're the ones I have affinity with and who I am rooting for. And it sucks to see them all get thrown under the bus first against Deviljho and later against Rajang because they're supposedly the ultimate badasses.

Whereas I personally think it's a lot cooler to introduce a monster like Rajang and Deviljho alongside, say, a new 5th generation variant and have them duke it out and tie in their introduction scene. That would get me hyped. "Damn, this new Ornery Anjanath is actually strong enough to tie with a legend like Furious Rajang. Oh shit, what's that? Grumpy Radobaan goes toe to toe with Savage Deviljho. That's fucking badass, I can't wait to fight these guys."

What will actually happen is that Furious Rajang one-shots Shara, Safi and Kulve in his introduction cutscene. Then Fatalis arrives in May but we will never get to fight him because his introduction cutscene features Furious Rajang and together they will destroy the New World.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MHW consistently showed they were though. Every normal ED in World and Iceborne is threat level 3 and, in base MHW, every monster would leave town if an ED showed up. The only one that didn't (Odog in a optional quest I believe?) got wrecked by Vaal Hazak. Even Deviljho, who can dominate apex predators like Odog and Diablos as well, would still lose to an Elder Dragon. This changed a bit in Iceborne and now one monster will stick around, but even then they aren't really shown interacting and no monster is shown to pose a challenge... except Savage Deviljho and Rajang.

I get that there is a precedent of these two being ridiculously strong and perhaps even being on par with EDs. But imagine how it looks to me, a newcomer to the series. There's this established hierarchy but surprise, these DLC monsters, whose strength has reached memetic levels in the fandom, don't give a shit. Rajang even gets a turf war with everyone and their mom while a newcomer like Bazelgeuse, who is supposedly also ED tier gets confined to Elder's Recess. I say supposedly, because he has no turf wars with Elder Dragons.

That is part of my frustration as well: new monsters being shafted while old favorites get to hog the spotlight. I really hope the April update brings back invading Bazelgeuse and they give him more turf wars.
Furious Rajang and Raging Brachy are top G rank quests in terms of # of stars (difficulty) even in MHGU.

They've always been apex fights for the late endgame.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The soundtracks for the base game and Iceborne are discounted on Steam atm in case anyone's interested (and now purchasable without owning the game). Didn't know they were so meaty. Almost 150 tracks total! Wild.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
urgh I was doing so well in the 'Master Hunter Of The New World' MR200 quest I get ruiner negrigante onto its last legs only had about one more SAED about to hit him in the face and....time out :_(

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Uh, do you guys think the "patch-parity" between platforms may be a glimmer of hope for cross-save? Or did Capcom ruled that out?

I would go back and play Iceborne on PC but starting from scratch would be a total pain.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
So according to the road map we are supposed to get increased decorations drope rate(haven't notice any changes) increased MR points(also feels the same) and gold crown quests.
In regards to the last point, only 2 quests will be added with a total of 5 monsters that count towards getting the trophy so I assume that most of these quest will be added in march.

I' m curious about the Great spiritvein rewards that for some reason appears in February even though it says march in parenthesis below lol. The game has been really stingy with those gems so I want to see how they handle it.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
How should I handle monsters that aren't vulnerable on the head, like Barroth, Diablos or Nergigante when using a hammer?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
So according to the road map we are supposed to get increased decorations drope rate(haven't notice any changes) increased MR points(also feels the same) and gold crown quests.
In regards to the last point, only 2 quests will be added with a total of 5 monsters that count towards getting the trophy so I assume that most of these quest will be added in march.

I' m curious about the Great spiritvein rewards that for some reason appears in February even though it says march in parenthesis below lol. The game has been really stingy with those gems so I want to see how they handle it.
Pretty sure all of this is just quests, not actual increased droprates overall. So they've added crown quests, and MR farming quests, and they'll add the equivalent of jagras/laviasoth deco farming quests but that kinda slipped and might be in march now, same for the spiritvein. At least that was my understanding.

Overall deco is really the only thing I feel is needed. Other stuff I haven't had an issue with, great spiritvein you get a lot in GL, MR point is fine as it is and gold crown they're slowly adding.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
How should I handle monsters that aren't vulnerable on the head, like Barroth, Diablos or Nergigante when using a hammer?
Soften with claw, and then break their heads and smash off their horns, and then smash their broken faces, and then pulverise all the broken shards of their faces, and then watch the powdered remains of their once-proud heads scatter in the wind.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Was just struggling in the arena trying to get some stupid coins before the event finished and then the game crashed 🙃

~450 hours between the base game and Iceborne with no crashes, and now I get two today.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Pretty sure all of this is just quests, not actual increased droprates overall. So they've added crown quests, and MR farming quests, and they'll add the equivalent of jagras/laviasoth deco farming quests but that kinda slipped and might be in march now, same for the spiritvein. At least that was my understanding.

Overall deco is really the only thing I feel is needed. Other stuff I haven't had an issue with, great spiritvein you get a lot in GL, MR point is fine as it is and gold crown they're slowly adding.
we are problably getting a Greatest beotodus quest ,aren't we? They need to increased the amount of sealed feystones in tempered quests too. I've exclusively deco farming this past week and the most noteworthy jewels I've gotten are a tenderize/ vitality and a release/ vitality. It's really annoying to do a 5 box reward quest only to receive carved feystones.
And can you point me to the direction of that magical GL that's dropping great spiritvein gems cause I'm barely getting any.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
we are problably getting a Greatest beotodus quest ,aren't we? They need to increased the amount of sealed feystones in tempered quests too. I've exclusively deco farming this past week and the most noteworthy jewels I've gotten are a tenderize/ vitality and a release/ vitality. It's really annoying to do a 5 box reward quest only to receive carved feystones.
And can you point me to the direction of that magical GL that's dropping great spiritvein gems cause I'm barely getting any.
Don't know I tend to get at least 1 per elder dragon/other T3s(Rajang Bazel Silver/Gold Raths). I'm not drowning in them but don't need a huge amount of them either, 1 per augmented armor(which is a finite amount, once you have all the "basic" armor augmented you don't really need more) and then 2 per weapon(for now, I guess once Safi hits it might get a bit more messy since need 3 per safi weapon and kinda want like 5-6safi weapons for every weapon types and stuff).

Was just struggling in the arena trying to get some stupid coins before the event finished and then the game crashed 🙃

~450 hours between the base game and Iceborne with no crashes, and now I get two today.
Coins are a permanent feature, not tied to events. You can always do arenas, and challenge quests rotate every few weeks but only drop the same coins arena quests do. Only thing tied to events in that are the Barioth 50shades of white tickets for guild palace weapons, the royal weapon upgrades and the guild palace armor are all stuff you can get at any time.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Coins are a permanent feature, not tied to events. You can always do arenas, and challenge quests rotate every few weeks but only drop the same coins arena quests do. Only thing tied to events in that are the Barioth 50shades of white tickets for guild palace weapons, the royal weapon upgrades and the guild palace armor are all stuff you can get at any time.
Thank you for letting me know, now I can relax lol.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Don't know I tend to get at least 1 per elder dragon/other T3s(Rajang Bazel Silver/Gold Raths). I'm not drowning in them but don't need a huge amount of them either, 1 per augmented armor(which is a finite amount, once you have all the "basic" armor augmented you don't really need more) and then 2 per weapon(for now, I guess once Safi hits it might get a bit more messy since need 3 per safi weapon and kinda want like 5-6safi weapons for every weapon types and stuff).
I guess my problem is that I use too many weapons and armor cause that drop rate is even lower than mine 😅.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I guess my problem is that I use too many weapons and armor cause that drop rate is even lower than mine 😅.
Well I use many weapons but I haven't upgraded everything with slots because I don't NEED the affinity on a bunch of them(most rathian weapon with base affinity for example).

I did upgrade like half a dozen or so, off the top of my head, 4 lances, 1 switch axe, 1 longsword, 1 insect glaive, 1 HH, other than lances it's goldian/royal weapons so no real need for others. Haven't upgraded my SnS because I don't bother with health augment since I run free meal secret on my SnS build, haven't upgraded GS/CB because I barely play them, haven't upgraded bows/gunlance/hammer because I only made some to test the weapons but don't care about them, haven't upgraded HBG/LBG because I'm only using stickies so health augment alone is enough. Haven't crafted a single DB yet so no upgrade there either.

Armor wise I have teostra, zorah, silver rath, gold rath augmented(the parts that are good for each), with the few great random pieces(rajang helm, brute tigrex chest, garuga legs, the usual). I have velkhana armor that I haven't augmented but past that I think that's about it for armor I use(that's R12).

If you play bow/db though I could see how you'd need a ton more for each element. Only close thing for me is lances but even then I don't play all of the elements cause there's no good ones(lightning) and the water set is the same as the raw(royal).

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Barroth: hit the hands
Diablos: after the horns are broken the head is the second best impact hit zone at 57. The stomach is 70 so aim for that when it's down.
Nerg: the head is the best impact hit zone so I'm not sure what to say. If the spikes are black you should focus on whichever fore leg has white spikes.

And, as always, tenderize.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone please confirm if the event (and I assume Safi) will disappear today at 6PM ET (in six hours) in 30hours for tomorrow's cycle.

I'm asking about the PS4 version.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i've played bow for ~250 hours, so for a change i picked up hunting horn for the hell of it crafted the acidic glavenous (rasping ballad) and made a set with 3x teostra, and 2x garuga. i will try to get the brute tigrex chest at some point to replace the garuga.

obviously i'm not as good at HH as the bow given the vast disparity in hours spent so i have some questions about the basics

i know the idea is to hit the monster's head if possible, but once you do get the monster knocked down, what is the optimum damage combo to do if you don't need to play any melodies? are you supposed to use the new iceborne move? echo wave -- the one you get with left trigger? depending on how much time i have i usually only am able to get in a circle/B + left trigger attack.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
326 hours without a Trueshot gem and I get two of them in one batch of silver tickets. Along with Forceshot and Handicraft gems. Jesus lol

326 hours without a Trueshot gem and I get two of them in one batch of silver tickets. Along with Forceshot and Handicraft gems. Jesus lol
I swear if anyone has been looking for Crit Boost or Crit Draw decos and wonder why they can't seem to get them ever, it's because I have all of them. I'm drowning in those after all the silver tickets I've gotten.

voidecker

Oct 27, 2017
obviously i'm not as good at HH as the bow given the vast disparity in hours spent so i have some questions about the basics
Someone here might be able to summarize some good HH tips better than I can, but I thought I'd throw this deep-dive into HH for ya, though fair warning it's 40 minutes, which might (understandably) be overkill.

youtu.be

[MHW] Hunting Horn Masterclass Definitive Edition

For you.🔥Links to everything☞amaDeus225https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCopbIVMb0JlMRDffKoSwEAQOlgahttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxoXM8VsJBgcJPzuRQ59NpAG...

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I know the idea is to hit the monster's head if possible, but once you do get the monster knocked down, what is the optimum damage combo to do if you don't need to play any melodies? are you supposed to use the new iceborne move? echo wave -- the one you get with left trigger? depending on how much time i have i usually only am able to get in a circle/B + left trigger attack.
Correct, once monster is down, the best combo is B -> LT -> B -> LT, repeat ad nauseum. I usually start the positioning with Forward + Y because my analog stick can be a bit weird sometimes and turn me around if I try to do standard B as the first attack in a hurry.

The combo is about 5-10% better dps than anything else you could do during that time, even replacing standard B with a backwards note stab for faster echo spam.

The one combo that might be better DPS is forward Y into impact/dragon echo x3 and forward encore, but that requires hell of a long opening. The shorter impact echo combos aren't quite as good since the 2nd and 3rd encore blasts are "free"

Oct 25, 2017
I procrastinated for so long, I've practically missed out on this event. I did get enough Fest tickets for two Guild weapons. And I think I got enough tickets for everything except for the layered armor.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Vip Gratitude ticket farming.

get that layered armor. Does'nt take long.
That's what I've deen doing to get those last event pendants I wanted.

Wearing the regular set almost guarantees a VIP Ticket and my current record for the Ice Bloom quest is 45 seconds. You could do the pinguin quest as well, but that leaves you with a ton of pinguins in your pet inventory, so I prefer this. Don't forget to slot in Geologist to gather one extra time and wear the Master Gatherer charm to speed things up even more.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Correct, once monster is down, the best combo is B -> LT -> B -> LT, repeat ad nauseum. I usually start the positioning with Forward + Y because my analog stick can be a bit weird sometimes and turn me around if I try to do standard B as the first attack in a hurry.

The combo is about 5-10% better dps than anything else you could do during that time, even replacing standard B with a backwards note stab for faster echo spam.

The one combo that might be better DPS is forward Y into impact/dragon echo x3 and forward encore, but that requires hell of a long opening. The shorter impact echo combos aren't quite as good since the 2nd and 3rd encore blasts are "free"

when you say impact/echo x3 you mean that's with the 3 songs stocked on the upper left, then doing the RT recital? what do you mean when you say the encore 2nd and 3rd blasts are free? is that when you press RT once and let all three songs play then press RT again after the first recital is complete?

i still have to figure out which moves (and directional variations on moves) are best in which situations, but i think that's more of a thing that comes with time and practice. luckily i am familiar with most monsters at this point (well maybe not rajang or the special guiding lands ones) so that's half the battle.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
when you say impact/echo x3 you mean that's with the 3 songs stocked on the upper left, then doing the RT recital? what do you mean when you say the encore 2nd and 3rd blasts are free? is that when you press RT once and let all three songs play then press RT again after the first recital is complete?
You got it right

When I say "2nd and 3rd blasts are free", I mean that recital's encore, when you press that RT the second time, triggering all 3 previously played songs at once is good for DPS, when you have Impact Wave Echo, or Echo Wave "Dragon" songs all lined up. Rasping Ballad has both. Just doing a single or double explosion with your encore, is relatively mediocre and you are likely better off spamming B into LT loop.

i still have to figure out which moves (and directional variations on moves) are best in which situations, but i think that's more of a thing that comes with time and practice. luckily i am familiar with most monsters at this point (well maybe not rajang or the special guiding lands ones) so that's half the battle.
One thing I'll say right now, Forward + Recital is terribly slow if you do it raw, rather than as a follow-up to 2 of your downward slam attacks, Forward Y or Forward Y+B.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
So Safi left? Kind of relieved actually even though I didn't get to finish my ice bow. Was getting kind of sick of that fight. Back to Guiding Lands now I guess...

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I've been waiting for a 3rd Tenderizer jewel for literally hundreds of hours now and in the last hours of the event the game decides to throw three (!) at me after an average Steamworks haul. Two of them were from Steel Tickets even.

Also got a Sleepcoat deco that I didn't have yet. Doubt I will ever use it, but hey. Still no Guard Up or Steadfast+, though...

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I really like HBG, but man is it a pain repositioning yourself to the right place. Is there a guide on movement with HBG, or even some practical advice?

I'm using a Spread build, in case it matters.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really like HBG, but man is it a pain repositioning yourself to the right place. Is there a guide on movement with HBG, or even some practical advice?

I'm using a Spread build, in case it matters.
Max evade extender is fun, you roll for like a mile lol. Fully dodge anything and get right back to shooting. Not sure if you were already utilizing it. Might not be great for spread I suppose.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I swear, there're several mechanics that the devs added just to annoy the player.
Super aggressive, suicidal small monsters that prevent you from carving, vespoids near gathering sites that paralyze you with one hit, that one area in the Elders Recess where those spikes constantly fall from the ceiling...