• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
a
I really like HBG, but man is it a pain repositioning yourself to the right place. Is there a guide on movement with HBG, or even some practical advice?

I'm using a Spread build, in case it matters.
are you using a shield? cause there's no need to reposition if you are using one. if you are not is just a matter or timing your rolls correctly as Dark knight said evade extender helps a lot.

Kaffeemann You don't have to swear that's the only reason small monsters exist. Vespoids have always been annoying as hell and thanks god they didn't include konchus in this game cause those are the worst of the worst.

Last edited:

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
a
are you using a shield? cause there's no need to reposition if you are using one. if you are not is just a matter or timing your rolls correctly as Dark knight said evade extender helps a lot.

Kaffeemann You don't have to swear that's the only reason small monsters exist. Vespoids have always been annoying as hell and thanks god they didn't include konchus in this game cause those are the worst of the worst.
No shield, I don't want to compromise any of the HBG skills I'm using (i'm not at home so I can't check, but iirc it's 3 reload, the close-up bonus, and a wyvernfire bonus).

I'll have to give Evade Extender a test run at the very least. Certainly couldn't hurt.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I swear, there're several mechanics that the devs added just to annoy the player.
Super aggressive, suicidal small monsters that prevent you from carving, vespoids near gathering sites that paralyze you with one hit, that one area in the Elders Recess where those spikes constantly fall from the ceiling...
Man fuck those spikes!

From a realism perspective I don't understand why small monsters don't immediately run away from most danger. You'll be fighting 2 giant monsters at once and fucking Gastodons will still charge you of all things. Like really???

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an updated rarity % list for decos that is reliable? I haven't checked in since Iceborne released. Curious what ultra rare thing I might have 4 of and just have no need for, and what I am missing.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Still an hour left, but I'm calling it quits on this event. I have been able to do pretty much everything I wanted to do and craft everything I wanted to craft, so it's been a good run.

I will spend the next couple of days with SFV and Seth, but I'll be back after the weekend for those AT Kulve runs with Zhao_Yun and xEik. (Anyone else who is interested: feel free to join!)

I swear, there're several mechanics that the devs added just to annoy the player.
Super aggressive, suicidal small monsters that prevent you from carving, vespoids near gathering sites that paralyze you with one hit, that one area in the Elders Recess where those spikes constantly fall from the ceiling...
Those Barnos in Elder's Recess, man. Flying pieces of shit. It's bad enough in that area in the north with the big slope, but they're even worse close to the first camp when they decide to follow you into the large central cavern and keep harassing you. You knock down a monster with the falling boulders and you're about to go ham on its head, but just at that moment a Barnos decided to makes you trip. I honestly don't think it's coincidence.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

My favorites include random gajalaka darts paralyzing you and sleep/paralysis toads you didn't see because the monster was blocking them and now you're fucked.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I literally got dragged here..
K67qczE.gif

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
I really like HBG, but man is it a pain repositioning yourself to the right place. Is there a guide on movement with HBG, or even some practical advice?

I'm using a Spread build, in case it matters.
Typically when you're playing the all in Spread 3 build it's more about timing staggers than any type of movement as the roll is trash and not much is going to change that, although evade mantle can help somewhat. However you'll probably need to drop the wyvernfire and some of those reload mods for more close range mods (or even embrace the scope) to get the output needed for that playstyle. Impact mantle is great with spread as you can usually get 2 KO's with the first activation, giving you some long opportunities to fill the monster with more buckshot. Otherwise the best bet is making the shield build and sacrificing damage for safety.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Typically when you're playing the all in Spread 3 build it's more about timing staggers than any type of movement as the roll is trash and not much is going to change that, although evade mantle can help somewhat. However you'll probably need to drop the wyvernfire and some of those reload mods for more close range mods (or even embrace the scope) to get the output needed for that playstyle. Impact mantle is great with spread as you can usually get 2 KO's with the first activation, giving you some long opportunities to fill the monster with more buckshot. Otherwise the best bet is making the shield build and sacrificing damage for safety.
i'm gonna be honest, i love wyvernfire far too much to give it up at all

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017

Oh man...a lot of annoying stuff has been present since the start of the series.

It used to be much much worse in the old games (particularly the 1st/2nd gen games).
  • Bullfangos (often in packs!) running around charging at you while you're trying to fight a Large Monster.
  • Vespoids doing their same 'ol crap, but in the middle of a fight (and just in general).
  • Crabs in 2nd Gen; these bastards liked to hide in the ground and then pop up right on you when you stepped on them!
  • EGG QUESTS (Fuck those quests. Was super bad in 1st Gen since they were Mandatory.)
  • Rathalos doing his "fly around the world" schtick or flying into places that you (the player) couldn't actually reach. (MHF1 Volcano comes to mind.)

Oh man...a lot of annoying stuff has been present since the start of the series.

It used to be much much worse in the old games (particularly the 1st/2nd gen games).
  • Bullfangos (often in packs!) running around charging at you while you're trying to fight a Large Monster.
  • Vespoids doing their same 'ol crap, but in the middle of a fight (and just in general).
  • Crabs in 2nd Gen; these bastards liked to hide in the ground and then pop up right on you when you stepped on them!
  • EGG QUESTS (Fuck those quests. Was super bad in 1st Gen since they were Mandatory.)
  • Rathalos doing his "fly around the world" schtick or flying into places that you (the player) couldn't actually reach. (MHF1 Volcano comes to mind.)
  • Plesioth: exists

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Egg Quests are a right of passage and they are cowards with their continual reduction in cruelty.

We were all made equal by the egg.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wow, lots of nuttiness for the first MR crown quest. Luckily they are still reduced health with 5 of them, but still a packed lineup.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
People who want Egg quests back are the same kind of people that value things like hazing.

Just because we had to suffer, it doesn't mean that new players should share the same fate.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Do we know if they've increased the droprate for Great Spiritvein Gem yet?

No they haven't. And this is the first quest coming up in a week for the "increased decorations":

When the Swift Meets the Roar
Duke it out against a Tigrex and Nargacuga in a quest great for obtaining Ancient Feystones!

Ancient Feystones?!?!? Are you fucking kidding me? Who cares!!!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
No they haven't. And this is the first quest coming up in two weeks for the "increased decorations":

Duke it out against a Tigrex and Nargacuga in a quest great for obtaining Ancient Feystones!

I mean, MR3 so it's just a regular Narga and Tigrex, right? Seems you can hunt them relatively fast and depending on the amount of feystones, it might actually worth the effort.

If there's going to be one with Sealed Feystones, or whatever is the highest rank, than it will probably have you hunt multiple EDs, likely tempered.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I mean, MR3 so it's just a regular Narga and Tigrex, right? Seems you can hunt them relatively fast and depending on the amount of feystones, it might actually worth the effort.

If there's going to be one with Sealed Feystones, or whatever is the highest rank, than it will probably have you hunt multiple EDs, likely tempered.

Certainly, but at this point, there needs to be a higher drop rate for rarity 12s other than a god damn 3% chance from sealed feystones.

Bring on crazy challenges but make it worth our while! Does anyone care about an increased ability to get rarity 10 decos?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
No they haven't. And this is the first quest coming up in a week for the "increased decorations":

It feels like a lot of these quests should've come out in September or October, not now.

If all of the post-launch monsters are endgame only, why are none of the events?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Amazing, I bitch hard about the drop rate and I just snagged another Expert+ in my last hunt.

God damn it! Why don't I have any Challenger + decos yet even though they are 11s?!?!? How unfair game!!!! (Let's see if it works this time).

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I'm glad they have finally decided to add the quests to get Gold crowns!
Each week from now on we will get a new one, starting with the forest right now.

Only sour note for me here is they decided to put 2 older monsters and only 3 iceborne-only ones in this round. I hope the other quests are not going to follow that trend.

I'm pumped to farm those to death until I get all the crowns for non-Elder monsters (as I'm assuming they will leave those out like they did in the base game).

Joshbob1985

Jan 12, 2018
I fancy trying something a bit different with my CB so I'm going to make a paralysis + KO set. Does anyone have any advice on how to do it best?

Skill wise Slugger and paralysis attack seem obvious, presumably Artillery helps (does it increase KO or just damage?). Punishing draw is probably going a bit too far.

As for how to play it, I assume all attacks apply paralysis, with faster attacks applying it more quickly. Only the phial explosions apply KO, and I'm not sure which attacks will build it up fastest. Charged sword? Savage Axe? Guard Points with charged shield? AED? SAED? I feel like it will be hard to make all the explosions from a SAED hit the head, whereas other attacks phial explosions seem to stick to the area you hit.

I play solo mostly, which probably helps this play style.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I fancy trying something a bit different with my CB so I'm going to make a paralysis + KO set. Does anyone have any advice on how to do it best?

Skill wise Slugger and paralysis attack seem obvious, presumably Artillery helps (does it increase KO or just damage?). Punishing draw is probably going a bit too far.

As for how to play it, I assume all attacks apply paralysis, with faster attacks applying it more quickly. Only the phial explosions apply KO, and I'm not sure which attacks will build it up fastest. Charged sword? Savage Axe? Guard Points with charged shield? AED? SAED? I feel like it will be hard to make all the explosions from a SAED hit the head, whereas other attacks phial explosions seem to stick to the area you hit.

I play solo mostly, which probably helps this play style.
Phial explosions with impact phial don't do element/status. You'll get the status application from the axe hitting the monster but not get status application from the phials bursting. Artillery only affects damage for impact phial, doesn't affect KO or element phials.