• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
So is bow really awful for Safi Siege, i read that but maybe that's just a meta/speed thing ? Maybe i will try tonight but as a Bow main well guess it could be the occasion to play another weapon.

I have also a decent Hammer Set if ever but i was going to build a LS set too. Safi weapons seem pretty dope anyway.
Nothing is awful for Safi siege. It's a straightforward fight and all weapons are viable and fun.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
So is bow really awful for Safi Siege, i read that but maybe that's just a meta/speed thing ? Maybe i will try tonight but as a Bow main well guess it could be the occasion to play another weapon.

I have also a decent Hammer Set if ever but i was going to build a LS set too. Safi weapons seem pretty dope anyway.
Bow struggles a little bit just because the only parts of Safi's body that are weak to shot-type damage are its wings, which can't reliably be hit with spread shots. But Bow puts out enough damage that you can still easily contribute to the fight.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Can use any weapon for Safi pretty easily yeah, although some are worse than others(SnS can't reach most stuff besides legs, bow can't reach wings, it's harder to get consistent head hits with hammer/HH and such).

For bow I'd recommend hitting the head, bow can easily weave left and right dodging attacks when you have aggro, while still outputting full damage on the head. That's what I do when I'm done breaking wings with LBG, can use the sliding reloads to dodge stuff and honestly most attacks are pretty easy to avoid. It might be harder to gear properly for the grabs with bow however since 4pc silverlos is so restrictive, on my LBG build I have health boost 3 AND divine blessing 5 and also 20+ fire res(via decos, could use food instead though if needed) so basically if I get grabbed even if everyone else is sleeping I won't die. Might be worth running a lower damage build with normal crit ele, especially since you kinda want partbreaker 3 anyway and you can't fit that in standard bow builds. Normal crit ele with partbreaker is a lot better than true crit ele for this I think.

Generally I wouldn't focus legs at all unless that's the only thing left. If using slashing weapons you want to go tail first, if using guns you want to shoot wings first(and back to make it easier to break), if using other stuff you should focus head. The wings at 50points each, the tail is 140 points or something iirc, the back is 100points(easy to break with ranged and mounts) and the head is 200 for the 2 breaks, and the chest is like 120 but can only break during phase 3. Meanwhile legs are 20 each, so pretty much any other parts(assuming you count wings as one part, they're easy to break both solo) is more points than all 4 legs together, and legs aren't even easy to break they're pretty tough. So even with shittier HZV it's better to focus the head imo.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, its finally happening! LS users rejoice.

wLutrIk.jpg

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I hope MT Kulve Taroth will also drop the items that is needed for its HR layered Armor. And I selfishly hope that the upgraded KT weapons won't be so good, since I never bothered to grind the best weapons during Vanilla MHW.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm glad I at least saved all the R8 Kulve weapons I collected, even though I did get rid of the R7 and R6 ones.

I hope MT Kulve Taroth will also drop the items that is needed for its HR layered Armor.
This, too. I still need 5 more nuggets. We never got around to farm them one last time last month, haha.

It would make some sense, given that the rest of the layered HR sets need endgame MR mats whereas Kulve is currently the only one that needs you to do a limited time HR event. That said, I'm not sure if MR Kulve will be a permenent addition or another limited time only event quest, much like EXBehemoth and Ancient Leshen.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
The people I play with and I are so excited for the layered weapons. We've constantly been talking about how cool it would be to have that feature and now we're finally getting it. Alatreon looks really cool as well.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't think I will use it much for hammers, since all of my favorite hammers (Shara, Safi, Velkhana, Nergi...) look good enough as is.

That said, I am probably the only person on this planet that actually likes the 3rd tier bone look, at least as far as hammers are concerned, so maybe I will use those more often now.

Whereas I hate the bone/iron look for bows, yet those tend to be the best for elemental damage. Now you can use, say, the Coral Pukei-Pukei bow for the water damage but make it look like the Namielle bow. Pretty great.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow title update 3 is today???

Did they already datamine the new monsters gear/weapons? I just can't imagine any new weapon beating out Safi unless their stats are straight up overbudgeted like they were essentially rarity 13.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I like how they handled the Kulve Taroth Master Rank stuff. Now everyone who started with Iceborne and never farmed the HR version has to do it now with the overpowerd MR gear which is not my idea of fun.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I like how they handled the Kulve Taroth Master Rank stuff. Now everyone who started with Iceborne and never farmed the HR version has to do it now with the overpowerd MR gear which is not my idea of fun.
They said they're going to adjust the drop rates of Kulve Weapons, so hopefully it'll be way less farming. And I think they also said you could meld weapons with MR Kulve materials.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to the PlayStation Blog the update is tonight (in about 3.5 hours from this post), not tomorrow. Dope!

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that these new monsters are "just" variants and that the PC version will soon be up to par with the rest makes me not angry about this update for once.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Hey ya'll. Jumping back into this and trying to co-op with a friend from the start. I searched about how exactly the online works, but all I got were variants of "use SOS flares for now, but it should be patched soon" back from like 2018.

So my understanding now is such:
  • You can SOS flare after viewing some cutscenes(?) on story quests.
  • You cannot party up for expeditions with story elements in them.
  • All other quests/assignments/etc. should be partyable from the online session menu while still in the home base.
Is that about right?

Also, will we be missing anything crucial if we don't have Iceborne? I know there's a grappling hook, but eh don't care too much about that. Anything else like the QoL changes from the OP?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Hey ya'll. Jumping back into this and trying to co-op with a friend from the start. I searched about how exactly the online works, but all I got were variants of "use SOS flares for now, but it should be patched soon" back from like 2018.

So my understanding now is such:
  • You can SOS flare after viewing some cutscenes(?) on story quests.
  • You cannot party up for expeditions with story elements in them.
  • All other quests/assignments/etc. should be partyable from the online session menu while still in the home base.
Is that about right?

Also, will we be missing anything crucial if we don't have Iceborne? I know there's a grappling hook, but eh don't care too much about that. Anything else like the QoL changes from the OP?

You DO NOT need to SOS flare unless the quest is considered an expedition story mission

I realize thats confusing but there are several story missions that have you encounter monster on expedition and some where you encounter them on normal quests

Under most circumstances, if you and your friends are in the same session (and you should be) all you have to do is have all of you trigger the cutscene then have one of you stay in while the others drop out and join in

You only have to do this for story missions and you all get credit for the completion

Outside of that annoyance progression is smooth

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Each of the weapons gets a couple extra moves that you can only use with Iceborne. I want to say most if not all of the QoL changes get applied to the base game even if you don't have IB, but it's been a while.

Also, if you plan on playing co-op with a friend exclusively, you might want to hold off on using SOS flares. Those open up the quest to the whole world (which will probably lead to Iceborne players coming in and finishing the quest in a minute or two). Once you get the option to use the SOS flare, just back out of the quest and return to base. Then you can both start the quest at the same time.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
The new moves are pretty crucial for some weapons though. Playing Hunting Horn without the spin is zzz. For some others it's kinda whatever, like Lance it's the same thing pretty much the only new move is just a modified claw move. Can definitely play through the game without Iceborne though, just some weapons were improved quite a lot by the new moves imo(Hunting Horn, Longsword, SnS and Greatsword I think specifically).

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You DO NOT need to SOS flare unless the quest is considered an expedition story mission

I realize thats confusing but there are several story missions that have you encounter monster on expedition and some where you encounter them on normal quests

Under most circumstances, if you and your friends are in the same session (and you should be) all you have to do is have all of you trigger the cutscene then have one of you stay in while the others drop out and join in

You only have to do this for story missions and you all get credit for the completion

Outside of that annoyance progression is smooth
Gotcha, thanks. Just to be clear, what cutscene do we need to trigger in those cases?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Update's live on consoles. 1.4 gb.

Should be able to play in 2 weeks given terrible PS4 is about copying files for updates.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Furious down. Maybe going with Sticky 3s made it too easy? I only got hit once...

Edit: Ooh! Got a heart on my 1st capture!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Furious Rajang stuff is... interesting.

Armor gets Max Might secret with 2 pieces (chest and waist give all points with good slots) and the new skill is Heroics Secret at 4 pieces (which gives a 40% boost to attack when active).

Weapons have less raw than the regular Rajang ones, but a bunch of natural purple, positive affinity, and decent element. I'm betting none of them compete with Safi's stuff.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Quest failed: elapsed time 9:46 lmao

I figured I would be rusty after not playing the game for a month, but damn that's too much. I'm going to bed.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Raging down as well. Immortal Reactor from the quest rewards too, so I'm 2 for 2 with mantles.

Agitator Secret and Artillery Secret is pretty cool tbh. Helm immediately replaces the regular Rajang one for people not running Kaiser B+, and the rest of the pieces look good as well, but man, 4-piece set bonuses are so restrictive.

Brachy weapons look great stat wise. Higher raw than Ruiner Nerg, all seem to get natural purple (but can't use Handicraft), but holy shit the slots on them. Level 4 and a level 3!

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Raging down as well. Immortal Reactor from the quest rewards too, so I'm 2 for 2 with mantles.

Agitator Secret and Artillery Secret is pretty cool tbh. Helm immediately replaces the regular Rajang one for people not running Kaiser B+, and the rest of the pieces look good as well, but man, 4-piece set bonuses are so restrictive.

Brachy weapons look great stat wise. Higher raw than Ruiner Nerg, all seem to get natural purple (but can't use Handicraft), but holy shit the slots on them. Level 4 and a level 3!

I understand why they said gunlance users will love it, but funny that it doesn't actually come with artillary!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the Raging Brachy armor more and I wonder if it'll be part of the new melee meta.

Imagine:
Kaiser B+
Raging B+
Kaiser B+
Kaiser B+
Raging B+

Raging Chest is as efficient as Damascus, and the Legs are as good as Garuga, so it's no big deal to swap them out, and in exchange you get Agitator Secret. You can easily get Agitator 7 with the new Challenger V charm (Chest + Charm is 7 points, or you can use Challenger+ jewels if you have them).

Something to think about.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Raging Brachy is something else man.... I love it. Furious Rajang is... ok I guess. Not hugely different, just more active and 2 new moves (not counting the pin). Raging Brachy took a couple tries whereas Furious Rajang was first try.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
New CB set
All pieces B+
Safi Shattershield - Attack VI/Attack V/Attack V/Attack V/Teostra Technique, Guardian/Attack Jewel
Safi Helm - Guardian/Attack Jewel, Attack Jewel, Expert Jewel
Raging Brachy Chest - Guardian/Attack Jewel, Charger Jewel, Artillery Jewel
Kaiser Arms - Critical/Vitality Jewel, Magazine Jewel
Kaiser Waist - Charger/Vitality Jewel, Critical Jewel, Artillery Jewel
Raging Brachy Legs - Charger/Vitality Jewel, Ironwall Jewel, Artillery Jewel
Challenger Charm V

Only 1 point of guard, but I get all of the core CB skills (Focus 3, Artillery 3, Offensive Guard 3), 95% affinity (Agitator 7, WEX 3, Attack 4, Expert 1, and an affinity augment on a Safi weapon), Master's Touch w/ Crit Boost 3, AND the massive +28 raw that you get from Agitator 7.

With food and item buffs, I got SAED phial bursts of about 150 damage a pop. I figured you needed Artillery Secret for that!

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the Raging Brachy armor more and I wonder if it'll be part of the new melee meta.

Imagine:
Kaiser B+
Raging B+
Kaiser B+
Kaiser B+
Raging B+

Raging Chest is as efficient as Damascus, and the Legs are as good as Garuga, so it's no big deal to swap them out, and in exchange you get Agitator Secret. You can easily get Agitator 7 with the new Challenger V charm (Chest + Charm is 7 points, or you can use Challenger+ jewels if you have them).

Something to think about.

I'm drooling at the thought of this. PC update can't come soon enough.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Got all I needed. 2 brachy armor pieces, upgrades all my charms and my armor sets to the max now I'm super poor. I have like only 27k gold now :(
The fights have been easy tbh but I can only imagine how dreadful the tempered versions will be.