• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Ah... high rank vaal hazak... i still need your teeth...
I feel this in my soul. It's insane how much harder it is to get these than gems. Not to mention most things you craft need 5 of them and not just 1. MHW and Iceborne have effectively turned 2 star item rarity into the real struggle.

Shara Ishvalda is fucking terrible, the fuck are you on?
Why do you hate it so much? The first phase is kind of boring, that's my only real complaint. Second phase is wild and I love how it uses sound.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh look, a giant rock monster that takes forever to break out of it's shell.
Oh look, now the giant rock monster is an ugly tornado monster with horrible teeth. The only new monster they added in Iceborne that I liked was Namielle.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Shara Ishvalda is fucking terrible, the fuck are you on?
Really liked it, one of the better MH final bosses.

Oh look, now the giant rock monster is an ugly tornado monster with horrible teeth. The only new monster they added in Iceborne that I liked was Namielle.
I guess it ultimately comes to one's own experience, because you can break it out of rock form in under 5 minutes comfortably just by using CC to both tenderize parts and wall slams. And this is with regular pre Shara weapons.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this in my soul. It's insane how much harder it is to get these than gems. Not to mention most things you craft need 5 of them and not just 1. MHW and Iceborne have effectively turned 2 star item rarity into the real struggle.

I can help out in the future. I have an awesome Partsbreaker Sticky LBG build and I break so many parts. I do have shit luck with Gems tho.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
HHs continue to be quite rare to see. I might get back into using HHs again but having too much fun with LBGs in Iceborne.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
You need to run the giant rock monster against walls with the cluch claw to break the rocks really fast

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
1st phase sucks I agree, 2nd phase is great. Then again Namielle might be the only new monster I disliked that they added to iceborne, so different strokes I guess.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
According to First Wyverian.

Longsword is the most popular weapon with 18%
Bow is #2 at 11%
GreatSword #3 at 10%
CB #4
Dual Blade #5 at 8%
IG #6 at 8%
LBG #7
HBG#8
Hammer #9 at 5%
Swax #10
Gunlance #11 at 4%
SnS #12 at 3%
Lance #13
HH #14

Crazy that Bow and Greatsword combined barely outnumber Longsword.

Interesting that despite getting massive buff, Swax/HH/Gunlance popularity doesn't seem to be affected much.

Every time I talk to someone else's cat in the research place they proudly state that their meowster prefers the longsword. Even people I've never seen use a longsword. Exposed.

Wild that bowguns have passed hammers and switchaxe now. They were extremely rare in older games, presumably due to obtuse ammo mechanics and requiring specialized gunner armor.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Bow is #2 at 11%
GreatSword #3 at 10%
CB #4
Dual Blade #5 at 8%
IG #6 at 8%
LBG #7
HBG#8
Hammer #9 at 5%
Swax #10
Gunlance #11 at 4%
SnS #12 at 3%
Lance #13
HH #14

Interesting that despite getting massive buff, Swax/HH/Gunlance popularity doesn't seem to be affected much.
LS getting the coolest looking moves in the game added to the dlc for no reason whatsoever will do that. the weapon wasnt weak, it doesnt have to switch states for meter management, it has a badass defensive option and they gave it the new anime slash as another offensive option.

Its bullshit and I wont be silenced! Justice for the rest of us! Down with the longsword bourgeoisie!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
In the pantheon of MH final bosses, Shara is at least way better than Ceadeus, Xeno, and Narkarkos (though it gets the better reveal/twist). I didn't play enough of 3U to know if Dire Miralis is better or not.

It's no Shagaru or Gog, but that just shows how stupidly good 4U was in all aspects. Shara's not bad.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
In the pantheon of MH final bosses, Shara is at least way better than Ceadeus, Xeno, and Narkarkos (though it gets the better reveal/twist). I didn't play enough of 3U to know if Dire Miralis is better or not.

It's no Shagaru or Gog, but that just shows how stupidly good 4U was in all aspects. Shara's not bad.

I remember Dire Miralis being just really boring.

Shara isn't as scary as Gog, and lacks the cool setpiece dragonator stuff, but I think I have more fun fighting it. Unless I forget Mirewalker then it's awful.

banter

Jan 12, 2018

Dire miralis and gogmazios were endgame bosses (like Ruiner Nergigante and Ahtal Ka), not story bosses.
Dire Miralis was pretty mediocre. Not terrible like Ceadeus, Narkarkos, and Xeno, but not great.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Dire miralis and gogmazios were endgame bosses (like Ruiner Nergigante and Ahtal Ka), not story bosses.
Dire Miralis was pretty mediocre. Not terrible like Ceadeus, Narkarkos, and Xeno, but not great.
Things are a bit different in world since they have a narrative going all the way through, but in my head I associate Nergi with the end of story bosses, Xeno with the true final boss in world. In Iceborne, Velkhana with the story final boss, Shara with the true final boss.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Things are a bit different in world since they have a narrative going all the way through, but in my head I associate Nergi with the end of story bosses, Xeno with the true final boss in world. In Iceborne, Velkhana with the story final boss, Shara with the true final boss.
I view it like it it was in Tri.

You had Lagi as the flagship, and then the game went "Actually, Ceadeus is the REAL final boss." Same with Nergi > Xeno and Velk > Shara.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Shara Ishvalda is a terrible boss, if only because it's a lumbering giant fought in a glorified arena in a game that is all about hunting monsters, all with their own dynamic movesets and animations, in large, living ecosystems.

It looks decent, I like what they did with the eyes following the camera, and the music is great. But the fight itself is a frustrating mess. Fuck its beam/AoE spam, fuck its hitboxes and fuck the mechanics behind obtaining its rare materials.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I go by when the credits roll for story final boss, and that's xeno for world and shara for iceborne. Goldbeard ceadeus for 3U, for 4U I honestly don't remember who the credits rolled after but I know gogmazios is after that in G rank multiplayer only, narkarkos for gen, valstrax for gen U.

Shara Ishvalda is a terrible boss, if only because it's a lumbering giant fought in a glorified arena in a game that is all about hunting monsters, all with their own dynamic movesets and animations, in large, living ecosystems.
In fairness, it seems to live mostly underground which is not really a place to fight monsters since hunters can move around underground like that.

Oct 28, 2017
I know that when I think of my favourite boss fights I always think about the ones that alternate between hiding underground, or shooting one hit kill projectiles.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
What do I need to do for the Mighty Bow jewel man, fuck. 360 hours and counting...

you probably going to get it soon but I wonder if your success will be better if you get those 5 purple box investigations...

Over 1700+ hours here...
n5Rpwe6.png

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018
I don't really mind shara that much. Well, at least relative to other super bosses. He dies in about 15 minutes if you're going for a straight kill, I think that's a healthy time for a monster. Having the clutch claw is really great for a fight like this. If you're having trouble you can just soften his hind legs and go to town. Not being an HP sponge helps a lot when it comes to final bosses imo. For my final boss ratings I would probably say: Atah Kal > Alatreon > Shagaru Magala > Amatsu > Dalamdur/Shah Dalamdur > Shara Ishvalda > Dire Miralis > Ukanlos > Akantor > Goldbeard Ceadeus > Xeno > Narkarkos > Gogmozios > Ceadeus >>>>>>>>>>>>> Lao Shan Lung

My definition is of a final boss is pretty broad though. Basically a unique monster fought at the end of low/high/G rank without any special unlock criteria (Like a specific hunter rank or doing all the quest/multi monster quests)

Ada

Nov 28, 2017

Bow is #2 at 11%
GreatSword #3 at 10%
CB #4
Dual Blade #5 at 8%
IG #6 at 8%
LBG #7
HBG#8
Hammer #9 at 5%
Swax #10
Gunlance #11 at 4%
SnS #12 at 3%
Lance #13
HH #14

How is GL higher than lance. The guard is a joke compared and the only way to get real damage out of the weapon is shelling 100%. Feels like playing a tank firing pellets.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I dunno about 5 minutes is not forever... Shara is just a boss that shows who is a true hunter. This boss telegraphes his attacks about half an hour before it starts.

How is GL higher than lance. The guard is a joke compared and the only way to get real damage out of the weapon is shelling 100%. Feels like playing a tank firing pellets.

Gunlance has been buffed and is way stronger than lance nowadays.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Two Shara fights, 5 tenderplates and two gems. Not too shabby. This time I went with a lower DPS weapon (+ Elderseal, although I doubt it had an effect) and focused on the head until the scalp broke off. Then I carved it immediately the next time I KO'd it. I wasn't letting it disappear on me again.

Still a shit fight otherwise. Glad I have the materials for the arm piece, two of its weapons and plenty of tenderclaws for the other ED weapons.

In fairness, it seems to live mostly underground which is not really a place to fight monsters since hunters can move around underground like that.
If Shara living underground is going to present problems for its boss fight, then the obvious solution would be not designing it as living mostly underground.

And even then there were plenty of opportunities to do something different with it. The Guiding Lands would have been a perfect stage for a boss fight (with some alterations perhaps) with plenty of environmental interaction for player and final boss alike to work with. It would have been sense from a story perspective, too, since the corpse of Zorah Magdaros could still be a prime target for a monster that destroys (new?) ecosystems. Lastly, fighting it in the Guiding Lands first would have been a perfect bridge to opening the Guiding Lands for expeditions, thus establishing the endgame.

Shara is just a boss that shows who is a true hunter.
giphy.gif

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Two Shara fights, 5 tenderplates and two gems. Not too shabby. This time I went with a lower DPS weapon (+ Elderseal, although I doubt it had an effect) and focused on the head until the scalp broke off. Then I carved it immediately the next time I KO'd it. I wasn't letting it disappear on me again.

Still a shit fight otherwise. Glad I have the materials for the arm piece, two of its weapons and plenty of tenderclaws for the other ED weapons.

If Shara living underground is going to present problems for its boss fight, then the obvious solution would be not designing it as living mostly underground.

And even then there were plenty of opportunities to do something different with it. The Guiding Lands would have been a perfect stage for a boss fight (with some alterations perhaps) with plenty of environmental interaction for player and final boss alike to work with. It would have been sense from a story perspective, too, since the corpse of Zorah Magdaros could still be a prime target for a monster that destroys (new?) ecosystems. Lastly, fighting it in the Guiding Lands first would have been a perfect bridge to opening the Guiding Lands for expeditions, thus establishing the endgame.

giphy.gif

Getting killed by Shara should make you self reflect :P

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Then I carved it immediately the next time I KO'd it. I wasn't letting it disappear on me again.
If you're worried about not being able to carve the scalp in time, just use a farcaster and go get your Ghillie Mantle from the camp. Lets you carve in peace and not have to worry about Shara killing you while you do it. Then you can farcaster again to get your useful mantles when you're done.

Yeah it takes time, but way less then hunting Shara again if you miss the carves.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Getting killed by Shara should make you self reflect :P
You jest, but I legimately hate how it's able to knock you down with one attack, then follow up with either a beam cannon or AoE explosions next. No matter how quick or slow you rise, you are going to eat the second attack and faint.

Plus there are the times I am still swinging at its head and it activates its beam cannon faster than my swing animation ends, thus catching me with the initial blast. This doesn't count as a full knockdown, so my character instantly rises and eats the remainder of the blast, fainting.

So frustrating.

If you're worried about not being able to carve the scalp in time, just use a farcaster and go get your Ghillie Mantle from the camp. Lets you carve in peace and not have to worry about Shara killing you while you do it. Then you can farcaster again to get your useful mantles when you're done.

Yeah it takes time, but way less then hunting Shara again if you miss the carves.
This "break the scalp, KO it, carve in peace" has worked well so far, but I hadn't thought of this yet. I might do this instead just to be certain I won't miss the carve opportunity. Thanks!

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017

Bow is #2 at 11%
GreatSword #3 at 10%
CB #4
Dual Blade #5 at 8%
IG #6 at 8%
LBG #7
HBG#8
Hammer #9 at 5%
Swax #10
Gunlance #11 at 4%
SnS #12 at 3%
Lance #13
HH #14

Surprised to see the IG that high, I rarely see anyone using it.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
I don't really mind shara that much. Well, at least relative to other super bosses. He dies in about 15 minutes if you're going for a straight kill, I think that's a healthy time for a monster. Having the clutch claw is really great for a fight like this. If you're having trouble you can just soften his hind legs and go to town. Not being an HP sponge helps a lot when it comes to final bosses imo. For my final boss ratings I would probably say: Atah Kal > Alatreon > Shagaru Magala > Amatsu > Dalamdur/Shah Dalamdur > Shara Ishvalda > Dire Miralis > Ukanlos > Akantor > Goldbeard Ceadeus > Xeno > Narkarkos > Gogmozios > Ceadeus >>>>>>>>>>>>> Lao Shan Lung

My definition is of a final boss is pretty broad though. Basically a unique monster fought at the end of low/high/G rank without any special unlock criteria (Like a specific hunter rank or doing all the quest/multi monster quests)
lao shan is just a lr boss. fatalis is the last final boss for mh hr

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Shara was quite fun and satisfying to fight. Been farming it for parts for the armor and weapons. First phase ain't bad with randoms who know the fight. Hit the wall twice for massive dmg. Goes down pretty quickly. The fastest I did with randoms was around 5-6 min for the first phase with the in-game timer. Second phase is really fun and unpredictable at times. Always moving around.

I was quite bored with Xenos in comparison for story bosses.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

Bow is #2 at 11%
GreatSword #3 at 10%
CB #4
Dual Blade #5 at 8%
IG #6 at 8%
LBG #7
HBG#8
Hammer #9 at 5%
Swax #10
Gunlance #11 at 4%
SnS #12 at 3%
Lance #13
HH #14

GS being top 3 is not too surprising. So many amazing builds for massive damage.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
I dunno about 5 minutes is not forever... Shara is just a boss that shows who is a true hunter. This boss telegraphes his attacks about half an hour before it starts.

Gunlance has been buffed and is way stronger than lance nowadays.
just notice lance got a counter claw after i first use it on diablos. guess its a better way to soften or slam to wall? probably gonna try a little more how it works. but atleast for lance it only takes one time to soften.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
How is the Shara LBG? What is the general battle plan with it? It looks really cool, but I'm kind of disappointed by the lack of rapid fire on any of the ammo types.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
just notice lance got a counter claw after i first use it on diablos. guess its a better way to soften or slam to wall? probably gonna try a little more how it works. but atleast for lance it only takes one time to soften.

Counter claw is amazing man, not only you can take a hit like a champ you also get free wound on a monster ;)

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
So what's everyone's favorite Great Sword?
I crafted the last Chrome tree sword and am using it with Elementless and I like the 2 lvl 1 slots.
Looking to craft the Pukei one because also nice slots and poison, which is nice for almost anything, but it hasn't the heftiest of attacks.
Is Acidic Glavenus GS the way to go? This one is always coming up on reddit, but it barely has any sharpness purple/white sharpness and I'm not sure if I want to rock Master's Touch....

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I crafted the last Chrome tree sword and am using it with Elementless and I like the 2 lvl 1 slots.
Looking to craft the Pukei one because also nice slots and poison, which is nice for almost anything, but it hasn't the heftiest of attacks.
Is Acidic Glavenus GS the way to go? This one is always coming up on reddit, but it barely has any sharpness purple/white sharpness and I'm not sure if I want to rock Master's Touch....
The final boss one, Acidic Glav, or the Nergigante one are the three that have the most potential. Unless you go elemental crit draw, which is pretty cool.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Counter claw is amazing man, not only you can take a hit like a champ you also get free wound on a monster ;)
It's good, but don't assume it's a free wound. You basically get Rocksteady while on the monster, but you aren't invulnerable so if you latch on at the wrong time (like when Jho starts his rapid flailing like a lunatic) you can still die.
Shara GS is the go-to if you can't get all of the augments for the Acidic Glav one or you're worried about the 10 points of purple.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shara was really getting to me. Didn't take as long as Velkhana, not by a long shot, though.

I thought it was actually a pretty fun fight, but I play Lance and the first half is a fun, fairly easy, rock-breakathon.

Second half is where all the wipes happened, of course. Main things that would get me were the quick front beam, as well as occasionally getting caught with my pants down when it does the walk back and I'm under its belly. Lance has pretty decent mobility, though, so a leaping thrust move will usually quickly get me out of the way. Only beat it when I just started being extra cautious if I was out in front of it or it seemed likely to reposition.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shara, Acidic Glavenous and Ruiner Nergigante are the best ones. Tigrex one isn't too bad either.

There are also elemental options now for GS thanks to the Velkhana set bonus which allows you to go elemental Crit draw. This makes the Velkhana GS really good in certain match ups and the Ruiner Nergigante one as well because it has Dragon element and HIGH Elder seal. Ruiner Nergigante GS also has a metric ton of white sharpness meaning no need for Handicraft or Masters Touch unlike Acidic Glavenous which requires both.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Shara was really getting to me. Didn't take as long as Velkhana, not by a long shot, though.

I thought it was actually a pretty fun fight, but I play Lance and the first half is a fun, fairly easy, rock-breakathon.

Second half is where all the wipes happened, of course. Main things that would get me were the quick front beam, as well as occasionally getting caught with my pants down when it does the walk back and I'm under its belly. Lance has pretty decent mobility, though, so a leaping thrust move will usually quickly get me out of the way. Only beat it when I just started being extra cautious if I was out in front of it or it seemed likely to reposition.

I just would wound the tail and go to town

With my blast build and using a farcaster for his ultimate its actually kind of an easy fight lol

Despite my vile cowardly tactics I think the fight is fun and fair. Shara has huge wind ups and tells for pretty much all of its attacks and plenty of places to escape to

Even with its super though Farcaster is by far the best tactic especially since you can restock healing items

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Shara, Acidic Glavenous and Ruiner Nergigante are the best ones. Tigrex one isn't too bad either.

There are also elemental options now for GS thanks to the Velkhana set bonus which allows you to go elemental Crit draw. This makes the Velkhana GS really good in certain match ups and the Ruiner Nergigante one as well because it has Dragon element and HIGH Elder seal. Ruiner Nergigante GS also has a metric ton of white sharpness meaning no need for Handicraft or Masters Touch unlike Acidic Glavenous which requires both.
For Crit Element, I think the Coral Pukei GS would also be pretty good just because it starts with high element and gets custom mods.

Not sure which GS are good for the other elements though.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Anyone else feel like custom mods are kind of a consolation prize for having a weapon of generic design? 🤣