• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Elemental generally adds a flat damage number per hit (some attacks have elemental modifiers, but flat damage is a general rule).
So let's just imagine that a high element bonus adds 10 elemental damage per hit.
For hammer or GS it's not much, since your regular attacks are hitting for 100+ raw damage. Doing an extra 10 damage on a 300 damage "golf swing" attack isn't a big deal.
For dual blades it's huge since you are doing loss of little attacks at about 30 raw damage, so adding 10 more is a big deal.
The elemental damage in the weapon stats is usually higher on hammers than dual blades, but not enough to offset the "hit rate".

I think elemental weapons and damage got some buffs in iceborne. I heard that GS got some big elemental damage modifiers added to some charged attacks but I don't know about hammer. However, raw damage is still best once you factor in the critical hit modifiers in most builds. Criticals don't affect elemental damage unless you use special "critical element" armour set bonuses.

Is there somewhere I can find calculators for how much elemental damage adds per attack?

For instance if a hammer has 1300 raw + 600 thunder, how do I find out if the 600 thunder. If the 1300 raw alone is doing say ~200 damage on big hit, would activating the 600 thunder make that ~300 damage per big hit, or would it add something like 20 damage making it do 220 on a big hit.

Would be helpful to know at what point elemental # is bigger than raw #, for instance which would do more damage:

A 1600 damage raw hammer or a 1300 damage w/600 thunder hammer.

I played through XX and through MHW and now like halfway through Iceborne and I still don't understand how elemental damage works in Monster Hunter. This stuff is really confusing when trying to figure out the best weapon at any given tier while progressing. Even like status ailment ones are hard to decide. If you can get 2 sleeps in per battle, is the damage you get in 2 sleeps > than a higher damage raw weapon throughout the fight. Or poison etc...

I almost feel like the game is better to not try to worry about min-max DPS and just pick whatever element/status effect you like applying.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
There's a new level of custom augments for your r10 and r11 weapons. Now optimized GS is even uglier than before with the Zorah mod.

Is there somewhere I can find calculators for how much elemental damage adds per attack?

For instance if a hammer has 1300 raw + 600 thunder, how do I find out if the 600 thunder. If the 1300 raw alone is doing say ~200 damage on big hit, would activating the 600 thunder make that ~300 damage per big hit, or would it add something like 20 damage making it do 220 on a big hit.

Would be helpful to know at what point elemental # is bigger than raw #, for instance which would do more damage:

I played through XX and through MHW and now like halfway through Iceborne and I still don't understand how elemental damage works in Monster Hunter. This stuff is really confusing when trying to figure out the best weapon at any given tier while progressing. Even like status ailment ones are hard to decide. If you can get 2 sleeps in per battle, is the damage you get in 2 sleeps > than a higher damage raw weapon throughout the fight. Or poison etc...

I almost feel like the game is better to not try to worry about min-max DPS and just pick whatever element/status effect you like applying.

I think there's a calculator somewhere, I just forget where it is. 600 Thunder is more likely to add 20 damage per hit than 100. Rule of thumb is that big slow weapons don't work well with element and can be made somewhat useable with Velk 4pc, but even then that playstyle gets out damaged by the standard raw builds.

Dual Blades, Bows, and now Charge Blade use element the best. IG and SnS do it decently. Switch Axe does okay but not optimal since Power Phial gives you a 17% increase in amped Sword mode. Lance is...up in the air since it got an elemental modifier nerf in IB for some reason. I wouldn't bother with element on anything else.

Last edited:

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Easy-Cheesy Shara Tenderplate Guide!

What:
Shara tenderplates are a super-rare material that almost never drops as a quest reward/carve
Why: They are essential for crafting all shara weapons.
How: You get a guaranteed drop by breaking the head (twice) in the 2nd phase. A scalp will drop off, which you can carve like a tail (unlike a tail, you can break it off with blunt, sever and/or bullet damage).
Sounds easy, right? Nope, the head can take 50% of the total monster's health before it breaks off. It can be hard to reach, and standing next to the head is a dangerous place.
Sounds impossible, right? Nope, literally any player can use this guide with no need to be a hammer expert and no need for endgame weapons/armour/gems.

Tactics: Use a hammer and do nothing but clutch-claw weapon attacks on the head. Hammer does good damage on claw attacks with extra KO/stun/exhaust damage, so you'll get more knockdowns (use the big bang combo during knockdowns). You can easily clutch an arm and jump to the head instead of dodging tentacles and sonic blasts around the head itself. Use the farcaster to restock on items.
Note that the first phase doesn't affect the second, so use whatever build you like best and farcaster back to base to switch gear in the second phase.

Weapon: Hammer (high raw, ice element is okay too, Velkhana has both and worked well for me)
Armour: Any, but look for a good selections of the useful skills. High defence is important, elemental weaknesses don't matter. Tigrex 3-piece eating bonus is very useful since you'll take a lot of hits and want to keep your health maxed. Teostra masters touch might be ideal for the "max deeps" people.
Equipment: Temporal mantle is essential since it makes you immune to being shaken off. Glider mantle gives you two extra 4-slot skills with a high uptime/short recharge. Vitality mantle is useful, but might not last long. Rocksteady is probably useful too.
Palico: Lily of the valley rod (paralyze) is extremely good. Vigorwasp is always good and gets you one faint-saving rescue. Shieldspire stooge can distract the boss.
Items: FARCASTER plus the usual mix of potions and drugs. I didn't use bombs, but they might be useful for damage during knockdowns.
Skills:
Essential:
Health boost 3 and stun resist (you can get hit/shaken off a lot). Weakness exploit 3 (all your attacks will be on a weakened weak spot!)
Useful extra defence: Mirewalker, tremor resistance, divine protection, gobbler, satiated, mushroomancer 3 (for mandagora=max potion)
Useful attack skills: Critical boost and crit eye. Speed sharpening/felyne polisher. Slugger might get you an extra knockdown.

It took me between 30-35 minutes to kill the boss, and my run was full of mistakes (no faints but I did use the vigorwasp save). I was also pretty slow in phase 1 (IMO, hammer is not a great weapon for phase 1).

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017

JinJinx and Tuna's (monster hunter math) youtube channel has a lot of videos on the damage formula.

There are a lot of factors involved, which make it hard to compare raw and element.
My super-rough rule-of-thumb when choosing weapons is that 10 points of element are worth about 1 point of raw* if the monster has a 2* or 3* weakness.
I haven't done the maths to confirm if this is accurate!
If anyone has some better rules of thumb, I'd love to hear them.

*using the "bloated" raw values in the weapon stats, not the "true raw".

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
JinJinx and Tuna's (monster hunter math) youtube channel has a lot of videos on the damage formula.

There are a lot of factors involved, which make it hard to compare raw and element.
My super-rough rule-of-thumb when choosing weapons is that 10 points of element are worth about 1 point of raw* if the monster has a 2* or 3* weakness.
I haven't done the maths to confirm if this is accurate!
If anyone has some better rules of thumb, I'd love to hear them.

*using the "bloated" raw values in the weapon stats, not the "true raw".

Thanks your rule of thumb was what I was looking for and will be helpful comparing weapons.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Where do I get the skin for the Leather layered set? And I assume the ore is Forest lvl 1 and I'm already 3 and get something else :(

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Where do I get the skin for the Leather layered set? And I assume the ore is Forest lvl 1 and I'm already 3 and get something else :(
Uh don't be afraid of that. Just keep farming ore in Forest and the level will reset allowing you to get low level material again.

Ore/bone level is separate from region level.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Is it just me or did they make endemic life way more aggressive in this? I definitely don't remember being attacked by so many birds/mosquitoes in the base game

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me or did they make endemic life way more aggressive in this? I definitely don't remember being attacked by so many birds/mosquitoes in the base game

I can't tell you how many times I laid on the ground because of some little fucker that pecked my ass with it's stinger. I feel this way too.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No special monster for lvl 6 volcanic region. Tempered Rajang can be encountered at lvl 7 however.

Tempered Kushala is THE worst fight in the game, period. I almost broke down today.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
finished the Rajang mission.

i didn't expect him to be so tiny after that over top planet punching cutscene. I was using sword&shield and it seemed pretty fair after i learned to avoid his dive. It was a fast paced fight but lucky i was equipped with a fast weapon as well. He got me good the first time. Somehow perfectly dodged everything 2nd try without any augments. Forgot to mention he was spewing poison almost the entire fight. He even poisoned himself in that one area all the time.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017

Not only that but I think they made some small monster behave too irrationally.

Can't tell you how many times I'm about to launch a thousand dragons with the bow and suddenly a Aptonoth gets in the way and absorbs all the hits.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Not only that but I think they made some small monster behave too irrationally.

Can't tell you how many times I'm about to launch a thousand dragons with the bow and suddenly a Aptonoth gets in the way and absorbs all the hits.
That's how it always has been.

Fighting a huge elder dragon? Small wildlife is gonna figure it's the best time to tackle a pesky hunter, despite all the explosions.

Siegmeyer

Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone know when the final armour upgrade limit removal happens? I'm MR 92 and hadn't thoughtto check the augment option at the smithy until just now. I removed the limit on my Garuga greaves and then fully upgraded them and it took a ridiculous amount of spheres, so many that it feels like there is another 'armour upgrade limit has increased' message that I've yet to see. Maybe when I reach MR100?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know when the final armour upgrade limit removal happens? I'm MR 92 and hadn't thoughtto check the augment option at the smithy until just now. I removed the limit on my Garuga greaves and then fully upgraded them and it took a ridiculous amount of spheres, so many that it feels like there is another 'armour upgrade limit has increased' message that I've yet to see. Maybe when I reach MR100?

99 is the last cap, iirc.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
There isn't a removable cap after augmenting, that's all they've got.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Well they certainly didn't hold back on Rajang's damage output. I'm picturing a tempered SSJ2 Rajang that could probably one shot you just by looking at you.

Had almost no time to mess with him, and I didn't finish my anti-Rajang set in time. I know he's traditionally easiest with a bow but I've only ever had luck fighting him with a GS with hit-and-run tactics. And I figured with the changes to elemental GS it would be fun to build a set for that. I've almost never used a GS in MHW but all I'm doing is uncharged draw attacks unless he's knocked over.

Well, I've got my speartuna GS and 4-piece Velkhana but I have basically nothing in terms of focus/critdraw gems and charms so I'm really limited in else I can add. Also I forgot to put on tremor resist and had a bad time as a result.

Was doing around 220 damage for an uncharged, un-softened hit to the horns though, that'll get the job done. I'm sure people with fancier sets can do better but it's just gonna be me and my fish.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Well they certainly didn't hold back on Rajang's damage output. I'm picturing a tempered SSJ2 Rajang that could probably one shot you just by looking at you.

Had almost no time to mess with him, and I didn't finish my anti-Rajang set in time. I know he's traditionally easiest with a bow but I've only ever had luck fighting him with a GS with hit-and-run tactics. And I figured with the changes to elemental GS it would be fun to build a set for that. I've almost never used a GS in MHW but all I'm doing is uncharged draw attacks unless he's knocked over.

Well, I've got my speartuna GS and 4-piece Velkhana but I have basically nothing in terms of focus/critdraw gems and charms so I'm really limited in else I can add. Also I forgot to put on tremor resist and had a bad time as a result.

Was doing around 220 damage for an uncharged, un-softened hit to the horns though, that'll get the job done. I'm sure people with fancier sets can do better but it's just gonna be me and my fish.

Yea, I think I'll build a Bow build for him. I haven't played Bow since vanilla but I think it's time. Not a fan of using LBGs/HBGs with him.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The main things to consider for element are:
The weakest point on a monster is usually a 30 hitzone for element, usually 25. Raw sees anywhere from .45 to .9 for weak spots.
True element damage is actually the displayed element divided by 10.
Hammer has a 1.0 element modifier on pretty much every attack is has, even though it attack very slowly.
Sharpness modifiers for element are 1.15x for white, 1.25x for purple (compared to 1.32x/1.39x for raw)

Example of hitting a part that is really weak to thunder with a 600 thunder weapon:
(600 / 10) * 1.25 * 0.3 = 22.5

So you are looking at about a 20 damage gain per hit from 600 thunder in perfect conditions. Most of the attacks you should be trying to prioritize are hitting for upwards of 400 damage. All this adds up to element being a non-factor for hammer. Status can be good or even better than stacking raw in some very niche situations.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Oh right, probably been discussed already but how do you find the World layered gear? I can craft like ten sets with just Tzizi and Barroth as large monster gear.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Things I like about the update:
  • Guiding lands updates. Leveling is easier, theres no more 18 level maximum cap on the levels. Locking levels is great.
  • They didn't fix the double loot from geologist, cap and quit still works, and there's a new leveling strategy where you just equip scholar spam 4 traps on the monster in rotation and then farcaster and repeat. You can go from 2-7 in like an hour or 2 with a full group doing this.
  • Rajang armor is strong in the right circumstances. It's not a complete wash like Jho armor was and is.
  • Rajang weapons are contenders for the top spot on some weapons, but they don't blow anything out of the water
  • Rajang is an okay fight, not good, not great. I prefer his old version so far, but my opinion could change with more time I suppose.
  • Tempered Rajang, Silverlos, Goldian are added to the tier 3 tempered list for investigations, so more non-elder options for deco grinding is great.
  • Layered armor is cool, wish they expanded it to more armors though. I'm guessing they will slowly roll those out in each update to keep everyone coming back even though they could just flip a switch and activate it now.
Things I don't like about the update:
  • No optional quest for rajang, so I can't practice the monster at all without resetting guiding lands. Also means I can't speedrun it. Bummer that they did this for yet another monster in this game.
  • I hate like 90% of the volcanic region monsters, but this was expected going in.
Overall, I'm happy with the update. Much more content filled than the first update of world, and it also came out quicker if I recall correctly. Seems like they have learned and improved from their experience with post-release support for world.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I haven't been following the patch notes or anything re the update.

If you already have 2 areas that are maxed is it possible to have this Volcano maxed out too? or do I have to let an area go to rot?
They removed or raised the 18 level limit. I saw a screenshot with 3 regions at level 7.
do we know what the new monster at max level volcano is?
There's no new exclusive monster, just tempered rajang, tempered seething bazel are the new tempereds at level 7.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
All I have to say is, the Rajang vs Rathalos turf war does not disappoint. Savage jho one is meh however. I had a tempered Gold Rathian with Rajang in my guiding lands last night and... no turf war sadly.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
All I have to say is, the Rajang vs Rathalos turf war does not disappoint. Savage jho one is meh however. I had a tempered Gold Rathian with Rajang in my guiding lands last night and... no turf war sadly.
Have you seen the kirin one? Is basically his intro cutscene as a turf war. Never thought I'd feel bad for kirin..
Right, that's what I saw in the diary but I didn't see any of those at the smithy... I'll check again I guess.
You need their materials (or at least some of them) for them to show up, pretty sure I'm missing some of them myself.