• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I've given these fucking Bugtrappers 15 gifts and they still won't give me the next treasure tip.

I got at least 1 tip per trip to the Boaboa. Fuck these stingy cats.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've given these fucking Bugtrappers 15 gifts and they still won't give me the next treasure tip.

There was a period where I gave like 30 gifts to the Protectors and they didn't give me a damn thing. Sometimes it seems to just get "stuck." I had some luck (maybe just placebo) trying to offer things that were completely different than what I had ever offered before.

banter

Jan 12, 2018

That's the plunderers for me. I've finished the boaboa, gajalaka, bugcatchers, and shieldbearers. Almost done with the troupers, but the fucking plunderers just won't give me tips.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Just responded to an SOS for regular Vaal but used MR gear, felt like cheating but so satisfaying lol.

Quest leader died twice tho, he probably needed someone that tanked that beast (it's what I say to myself).

In any case, I needed the mats.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So a miracle happened. I finally join a session where the party leader will post a black blos, the final material I haven't seen in GL. Turns out, it was a small gold crown and all I was missing from the old miniature trophy. I spent way to long caring about that bullshit. Now I'm just missing arena for the platinum, which I hate.

I've learned not to care about platinums, but it always irked me to play a game as much as this one and not have it

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Time for the tried and true bitch about it online and watch it happen method because I'm stuck otherwise.

I want my beautiful gold rath sword. I've hit MR 95 and have spent the last 25 levels trying to unlock an investigation to get the parts. Unlocked in GL, leveled to research 4, picked up a ton of tracks and broken parts there. No investigations of her. Run through Elder's Recess creepily following Jho, Bazel, Ranj multiple times. Probably a good 60 or so investigations. None of her. Proc that Feline Researcher and somehow got all 3 of those in a 35 minute investigation. Run out the time stalking and sniffing the impressions of their feet. No investigations of her.

It's time game.... it's long past time.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Time for the tried and true bitch about it online and watch it happen method because I'm stuck otherwise.

I want my beautiful gold rath sword. I've hit MR 95 and have spent the last 25 levels trying to unlock an investigation to get the parts. Unlocked in GL, leveled to research 4, picked up a ton of tracks and broken parts there. No investigations of her. Run through Elder's Recess creepily following Jho, Bazel, Ranj multiple times. Probably a good 60 or so investigations. None of her. Proc that Feline Researcher and somehow got all 3 of those in a 35 minute investigation. Run out the time stalking and sniffing the impressions of their feet. No investigations of her.

Couldn't you just search for SOS (assuming you have PSPlus/XGold) ? That's how I gather materials for her armor sets.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Couldn't you just search for SOS (assuming you have PSPlus/XGold) ? That's how I gather materials for her armor sets.

That would be the easiest. Slightly sad to me because I've completed everything solo first (except the siege monsters) since the launch of the base game and have only gone online for fun/helping others/trophies/etc, but I suppose it's time to ditch that hang up and just get it done! Besides, if I've beaten her a lot in GL, I suppose that should "count", right?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Have you captured her and fought her in the arena? I was in the exact same spot as you, spent multiple hours gathering tracks without success, until I did her optional arena quest yesterday. Since then I've gotten like 3 investigations on a total of about 25 or so. Same for Silver Rathalos.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Have you captured her and fought her in the arena? I was in the exact same spot as you, spent multiple hours gathering tracks without success, until I did her optional arena quest yesterday. Since then I've gotten like 3 investigations on a total of about 25 or so. Same for Silver Rathalos.

Yeah I saw that before in the thread (which is why I asked where you got the investigation you posted about).... I suppose I should try the arena and see! Weird though because I've gotten about 4 Brute Tigrex investigations without doing his arena yet.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Rocksteady Mantle sucks, gets people killed most of the time , and removes the ever important floor invulnerability.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Not an unpopular opinion in my opinion lol
I never use it anymore and my friends who do choose to use it get carted accidentally due to its mechanics.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah I saw that before in the thread (which is why I asked where you got the investigation you posted about).... I suppose I should try the arena and see! Weird though because I've gotten about 4 Brute Tigrex investigations without doing his arena yet.

Holy shit ClearMetal it worked. Did the arena, did another butt sniff run around with Jho and got an investigation! That's nuts. Thanks!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think Rocksteady Mantle sucks, gets people killed most of the time , and removes the ever important floor invulnerability.
Rocksteady is match up and weapon specific.

Rocksteady sucks against Bazelgeuse and Vaal Hezak. Anything with a damage over time or attacks in rapid succession (like Scarred Yian Garuga point blank fire attack can instantly gib you if you have Rocksteady while latched on to its head). Also not good against Brachydios.

However any slower monster Rocksteady does a ton of work. You can really do a lot of damage as something like Great Sword sitting in front of the monster charging up your sword and getting uninterrupted True Charge Strikes. And against even weaker monsters it's a massive blow out.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Rocksteady is match up and weapon specific.

Rocksteady sucks against Bazelgeuse and Vaal Hezak. Anything with a damage over time or attacks in rapid succession (like Scarred Yian Garuga point blank fire attack can instantly gib you if you have Rocksteady while latched on to its head). Also not good against Brachydios.

However any slower monster Rocksteady does a ton of work. You can really do a lot of damage as something like Great Sword sitting in front of the monster charging up your sword and getting uninterrupted True Charge Strikes. And against even weaker monsters it's a massive blow out.
My statement was more temporary rage when I see randos using it against Shara :/

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Holy shit ClearMetal it worked. Did the arena, did another butt sniff run around with Jho and got an investigation! That's nuts. Thanks!
Yo, that's great to hear!

Still strange how discovering (and even fighting them) in the GL alone doesn't work. It's like the game doesn't acknowledge you discovering/fighting them until you do it in an official assignment. Could be a bug.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Rocksteady is great if only for getting a free wall knock.

Evasion Mantle is still the best IMO, with Impact being up there too for specific weapons.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Did Namielle with my thunder hammer because it's the only high rarity hammer I have. Namielle is rated "x" for hammer and definitely felt it. Was doing like 30-40 damage a hit. Had a guy join me and we beat it, but took 41 mins so yeah, my damage output was terrible even though I got a lot of hits in.

Fun fight. All the electric water/tsunamis/divebombs reminded me of some of the older more fantastical fights. Looking forward to fighting Namielle again someday with a not thunder weapon :P

Got to Nerg and luckily damage with my end of bone hammer tree Earth Ender III (~1500 atk, ~500 thunder) seems fine against him, so will do that next time and then take on the final boss. Been playing casually since launch and it's nice that the end (of at least the main game) is getting in sight :) Looking forward to the post-game and grinding out better weapons/gear after the ending.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That would be the easiest. Slightly sad to me because I've completed everything solo first (except the siege monsters) since the launch of the base game and have only gone online for fun/helping others/trophies/etc, but I suppose it's time to ditch that hang up and just get it done! Besides, if I've beaten her a lot in GL, I suppose that should "count", right?

Nobody cares but you if youve done it solo. Most people play multiplayer all day all the time. I mean why even waste so much time? Could have gotten everything way way quicker. Nobody will ever see that youve done stuff solo and Nobody will ever care so join us hunters in MP so you can finally get your stuff. Most people also have the experience now and it's fun to wreck Gold or Silver Rath lol

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Did Namielle with my thunder hammer because it's the only high rarity hammer I have. Namielle is rated "x" for hammer and definitely felt it. Was doing like 30-40 damage a hit. Had a guy join me and we beat it, but took 41 mins so yeah, my damage output was terrible even though I got a lot of hits in.

Fun fight. All the electric water/tsunamis/divebombs reminded me of some of the older more fantastical fights. Looking forward to fighting Namielle again someday with a not thunder weapon :P

Got to Nerg and luckily damage with my end of bone hammer tree Earth Ender III (~1500 atk, ~500 thunder) seems fine against him, so will do that next time and then take on the final boss. Been playing casually since launch and it's nice that the end (of at least the main game) is getting in sight :) Looking forward to the post-game and grinding out better weapons/gear after the ending.

Hitting Namielle anywhere other than head, foreheads, and tails generally gives you nothing for damage. I liked the fight at first but now its just so tanky,

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I like Namielle because it's one of the few MR Monsters that doesn't move left and right like if she was high so I can consistently helmsplitter his head :P

Sep 23, 2019
Theory for the december update:
It may actually be Alatreon
Alatreons "amazing" special attack is based on his ice element
Maybe he comes to the GL freezes an entire area therefore is a problem and we got to take care of him
We kill it but some of him remains so that zone remains frozen.
Boom new monster and a new snowy GL zone
It could definitly work imo

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Crit Draw GS is so boring, I don't know how anyone likes this playstyle compared to TCS or just using Hammer instead.

Hahaha, seen a couple of people using it, seems ill-suited for fighting it.

Also, fought Shara several times and each time a Lance user always eats a faint, sometimes causing mission failure too. Don't know why, but Lance users I went with always got destroyed, haha.

If I were to guess it's because they tried guarding its beams and I think you may need Guard Up for those, if it can even block them at all without being chipped.

Lance feels gimped in IB, I never really see anyone use it anymore. That and SnS didn't get the changes they needed to become more popular IMO.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Theory for the december update:
It may actually be Alatreon
Alatreons "amazing" special attack is based on his ice element
Maybe he comes to the GL freezes an entire area therefore is a problem and we got to take care of him
We kill it but some of him remains so that zone remains frozen.
Boom new monster and a new snowy GL zone
It could definitly work imo
I rather they add Valstrax than Alatreon, but I know that's not happening. What a waste also a cool designed dragon.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Crit Draw GS is so boring, I don't know how anyone likes this playstyle compared to TCS or just using Hammer instead.
But you can build for both at the same time, you're just improving your draw attack damage, and in certain cases like Rajang and Kirin it's huge improvement to your poke attacks.

Ie, even with crit draw builds, you will still be using TCS.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Met Scarred Yian and Brute Tigrex today. Both great fights! I made the Ebony Odogaron insect glaive to replace my Shara one. No purple sharpness but it puts my affinity to 100% so with master's touch the white never ends. Also got the mats for a health augment. I feel extremely badass and ready to meet Ruiner.

By the way:

Which monster eats a strictly kosher diet?
Hasidic Glavenus

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Met Scarred Yian and Brute Tigrex today. Both great fights! I made the Ebony Odogaron insect glaive to replace my Shara one. No purple sharpness but it puts my affinity to 100% so with master's touch the white never ends. Also got the mats for a health augment. I feel extremely badass and ready to meet Ruiner.

By the way:

Which monster eats a strictly kosher diet?
Hasidic Glavenus

I was prepared for the worst when fighting Brute Tigrex for the first time (I really loathe Tigrex). To my surprise, B.Tigrex is pretty amazing.

They really did a great job in designing the subspecies for IB tbh, they feel really different than their standard counterpart (unlike Azure Rath, Pink Rath and Black Diablos).

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I finally put together a proper guiding lands set and I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll probably ditch the attack boost and put in partbreaker or something else instead but it's a really good blend of attack power and defense. In case you didn't know, if you have at least one level of geologist you can pick up the shinies that drop from monsters twice so every monster drop gives you 2 materials.

a4376661-e6af-449e-b41a-8c65440f7ca5.PNG

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
I hit MR100 earlier, so now I'm farming up the stuff I need for some of the new Nerg weapons (I'm going for the hammer, SA, GS, HH and lance). The only issue with this is that I only had the original Nerg SA, which means farming up all the other old stuff. I've basically spent all morning beating up the HR Nerg with my MR builds, which has been a fun little exercise - the fights take under 3 minutes at this point, which is hilarious. I've got all the HR Nerg materials I need at this point, but now I need multiple Xeno horns, which is giving my flashbacks to farming for the Luna/Xeno weapons back in the day. Massive pain in the neck. Still, I'm using it as an opportunity to help some HR kids out and get myself a nice pendant.

I've also been playing with the LBG and HBG stuff people recommended to me earlier and having a great time. The Zinogre HBG is a beast, and using the Garuga LBG for rapid sticky madness is fantastic (and is also how I've been farming my Xeno horns). I'm gonna farm up both the Rajang guns later, I think. Maybe the Jho HBG too. I'm also gonna take a crack at the AT Zorah quest - I missed it before and I want that layered armour, so I've watched a video on how to solo it and I'm hoping my MR gear makes things even easier.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm also gonna take a crack at the AT Zorah quest - I missed it before and I want that layered armour, so I've watched a video on how to solo it and I'm hoping my MR gear makes things even easier.
It's easy now. Just slot some Heavy Artillery decos, and don't take too long scaring off Nerg in phase 1. Oh and make sure to interrupt Zorah when he attacks the barrier. I failed my first try because he knocked it down.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely found the upper-tier non-dragon tempered monsters easier to kill after going def +6. Really not sure why I wasn't doing it before, tempered Scarred Yian Garuga would kick my ass but it's 0 carts now with higher defence.

I really need to start farming for the R11+ augmentation gems, getting kinda bored sitting on level 5 upgraded armor.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
All of this guiding lands grinding is leaving me broke, I had almost two million zenny when I started iceborne and now in down to just 100k.
I wish they'd give a least some trade in items for doing guiding lands stuff.