• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to fight Kushala with anything other than Zin HBG. It's still a complete slog, but at least I'll die less often and get to do some actual damage in the handfuls of openings that it gives you.

Everything about Kushala just makes me mad that it got to be a flagship and Teostra didn't. Teostra's one of the best fights in this game, whereas Kushala's always been terrible.

Probably because Teostra is too similar to Rathalos...

Join the sticky ammo brigade. They pierce through the wind to stick and explode for flat damage that's easy to max 75% to the cap before you eat buffs. All you need is to set up your quick selection to quickly craft more ammo between reloads.

Strafing while reloading and firing make dodging all of his moves very very easy.

Shit I forgot I actually tried this on normal Kush before and it absolutely wreck him.

I just can't get a successful mount on Teostra. The game does not allow it.

My latest four attempts:
1. Blastblight triggers mid-mount
2. Blastblight triggers mid-mount
3. Teostra falls down before I can deal the big, final blow
4. I randomly get thrown off mid-mount despite being at full stamina and wearing Fireproof mantle (so no blastblight explosion this time).

The last one was especially baffling and honestly exemplary of the way the computer screws you over in Master Rank.

The final one probably happen because it flies to close to the inaccessible lava part of the area (its dumb and they should address it). It happen to me too in High Rank, just avoid mounting him on lava area.

So like, imagine this.

200 hp. 20 ice elemental resist. Using a bow which means extra elemental defense. Wearing ice proof mantle plus.

And yet Guiding Land's Velkhana Temper's ice laser breath STILL killed me in ONE SHOT.

I mean, that kinda damage seems incredibly unfair, ain't it? :/

I feel like GL monster hits harder (maybe to compensate the unlimited cart ?) than quest monsters. Normal goldian tail uppercut took 95% of my health with 860 Def and 200 health...

Encountered my first diablos and he is still not fun to fight. He already was one of my least favorite monsters in tri ultimate. Despite his size he is quick and he can almost oneshot me with the burrow attack. The face horns protect him very well because they take ages to destroy.

I refuse to fight Diablos without Lance or Light Bowgun (both completely destroy him).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Probably because they don't want another fire monster to be the flags

Probably because Teostra is too similar to Rathalos...

Shit I forgot I actually tried this on normal Kush before and it absolutely wreck him.

The final one probably happen because it flies to close to the inaccessible lava part of the area. It happen to me too in High Rank, I refuse to mount Teo/Luna in lava area.

I feel like GL monster hits harder (maybe to compensate the unlimited cart ?) than quest monsters. Normal goldian tail uppercut took 95% of my health with 860 Def and 200 health.

I mean when you took all the necessary precaution to mitigate damage and still it doesn't matter since the damage is incredibly overbearing, that's just really lame. I might even call it terrible game design, being difficult just for the sake of being difficult.

Monster Hunter is all about being prepared. If you are being prepared and yet it still one shots you, then blegh...

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I don't care what most people say about it but Ancient Leshen is wayy harder than Extrreme Behemoth.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So like, imagine this.

200 hp. 20 ice elemental resist. Using a bow which means extra elemental defense. Wearing ice proof mantle plus.

And yet Guiding Land's Velkhana Temper's ice laser breath STILL killed me in ONE SHOT.

I mean, that kinda damage seems incredibly unfair, ain't it? :/

What is your overall defense? Anything less than 900 against tempered elders is not advised. Take a full hit of a special under rage mode, basically wipes out any elemental defense boost. That's why if your playing solo, going for the wall bang and straight back into rage mode is not always advised. Sometimes fighting for a few minutes in relative saftey is much better than a flinch shot

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Couldn't capture fulgur Anjanath with shock trap for some reason and then he killed me :(
I know Zinogre and Rajang can become immune to shock traps when charged up, fulgur might be the same way. It could just be a glitch too though, I had a capture glavenus investigation a while ago that I couldn't complete because it wouldn't get trapped.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
My new favorite set. I had been trying to fit agitator into more builds. The hammer has a health augment too which pairs nicely with the nerg set bonus. Plus it's pretty flexible charm wise, you can easily take out the attack charm and just put in one attack jewel to get it up to 4.

ef5374de-3426-4c04-9c0e-d0a218f03096.PNG

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I mean when you took all the necessary precaution to mitigate damage and still it doesn't matter since the damage is incredibly overbearing, that's just really lame. I might even call it terrible game design, being difficult just for the sake of being difficult.

Monster Hunter is all about being prepared. If you are being prepared and yet it still one shots you, then blegh...

I sort of disagree. I wouldn't say MH is about being prepared. It's about learning what you can get away with and adapting to it. You should be playing more cautious when a monsters in rage. When you can sense the ultimate looming. When you've been hit twice in the last 30 seconds and could be close to a stun. You shouldn't be able to just spam an infinite combo without risk. With out tempered scaling, it gives no reason for all the augment and efficient deco farming that make up the endgame. Otherwise everything is a walk in the park.

I get my share of frustration with elders, but it is almost always my fault and I know what I could have done different.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Some pretty neat numbers in PS4 Trophies imo:

58.8% finished the story and 58.1 reached the GL

15.8% leveled a GL area to lvl7 (I did this today and I've been playing non stop since release).

21.4% Slayed Ruiner Nergigante (which means being MR100)

45.5% of hunting 100 large monsters
and 45.9% for capturing 50.

15.3% for salying 50 Elder Dragons (I don't have this trophy yet).

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I sort of disagree. I wouldn't say MH is about being prepared. It's about learning what you can get away with and adapting to it. You should be playing more cautious when a monsters in rage. When you can sense the ultimate looming. When you've been hit twice in the last 30 seconds and could be close to a stun. You shouldn't be able to just spam an infinite combo without risk. With out tempered scaling, it gives no reason for all the augment and efficient deco farming that make up the endgame. Otherwise everything is a walk in the park.

I get my share of frustration with elders, but it is almost always my fault and I know what I could have done different.

I mean, it's not even her ultimate attack and she pulled that one so often it is basically a part of her basic moves, not really the 'ultimate' one. This is basically 'don't get hit by her attacks even just once' territory, which is I don't know, veer into beyond 'this is really challenging' to 'bullshit' territory.

I mean, I am not a perfect player, but I managed to complete all MHW content so far from AT Elders to Extreme Behemoth to Ancient Leshen and everything in between and this is one of the rare times I actually said, wow, such BS, hahaha.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It's a fun fight when you build for it. Also, remember you can farcast out and change weapon sets for the second phase. Going in with a pierce HBG for Rocky phase, then something to stun with the second can work wonders.

Also, one point of mirewalker makes the sand effect null
none of that was the issue, the issue is that he has way too much health

say what you want about xeno in comparison, but at least that fight didn't feel like i was fighting an HP sink for 2 phases

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018

say what you want about xeno in comparison, but at least that fight didn't feel like i was fighting an HP sink for 2 phases
Shara doesn't have that much more health , he is not bad if you are willing to try bowguns , his movies are super telegraphed.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I just fought AT Xeno for the first time. What the fuck were they thinking? Who designed this dumpster fire of a fight? Who greenlit it?

And this was with endgame MR gear. I can only imagine the hell it must have been with HR gear.

And just to rub it in, I fought it twice, I broke its horns twice, but did I get the single horn I needed? Of course I didn't.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

It can definitely feel that way the first few times. Where you solo or multi? Wall banging him into the rocks that fall, indicated by markers on the map can take 10% of it's health right off the bat each and be done twice a phase

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I just fought AT Xeno for the first time. What the fuck were they thinking? Who designed this dumpster fire of a fight? Who greenlit it?

And this was with endgame MR gear. I can only imagine the hell it must have been with HR gear.

And just to rub it in, I fought it twice, I broke its horns twice, but did I get the single horn I needed? Of course I didn't.

The reaction to it was actually positive. AT xeno was by far the best one they've done and looked like they actually took feedback to the underwhelming AT system they've used to fluff out content. He uses new moves and old ones are decently modified instead of just hitting harder.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It can definitely feel that way the first few times. Where you solo or multi? Wall banging him into the rocks that fall, indicated by markers on the map can take 10% of it's health right off the bat each and be done twice a phase
i knew about wall banging already

and it doesn't matter anymore because i never have to fight that thing again since i don't need any of its mats for anything

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Is no one playing on ERA squad anymore ?

Logged in right now and no one playing (again), and typically in sunday morning here the room is fairly populated.

Or is my connection broken ?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The reaction to it was actually positive. AT xeno was by far the best one they've done and looked like they actually took feedback to the underwhelming AT system they've used to fluff out content. He uses new moves and old ones are decently modified instead of just hitting harder.
I'm surprised to hear that. In my opinion they took a badly designed boss and instead of fixing the bad parts, they doubled down on them.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Is no one playing on ERA squad anymore ?

Logged in right now and no one playing (again), and typically in sunday morning here the room is fairly populated.

Or is my connection broken ?
Personally I haven't been playing lately because I'm catching up on some other games like Code Vein. I still browse this thread and see if anyone needs help but I wouldn't be surprised if everyone else has kinda been playing less considering the games been out awhile.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Getting research levels for Lunastra has to be one of the worst things in the game.

She aggros on sight, so you need the Ghillie Mantle to follow her to get tracks, but also she doesn't leave a bunch of tracks. And because she's an elder, you can get a bunch of bar for capturing her. And of course her fight's terrible. That goes without saying.

It was bad in the base game, but now the game is way more likely to drop you in front of her at the start meaning she's immediately pissed off and you can't ghillie around her to get tracks. This sucks.

Edit: Right after I posted this I get dropped right in front of her a 2nd time in a row. Guess I have to abandon AGAIN to have any hope of sniffing tracks.

Edit again: 3rd time in a row. Kill me.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Getting research levels for Lunastra has to be one of the worst things in the game.

She aggros on sight, so you need the Ghillie Mantle to follow her to get tracks, but also she doesn't leave a bunch of tracks. And because she's an elder, you can get a bunch of bar for capturing her. And of course her fight's terrible. That goes without saying.

It was bad in the base game, but now the game is way more likely to drop you in front of her at the start meaning she's immediately pissed off and you can't ghillie around her to get tracks. This sucks.

Edit: Right after I posted this I get dropped right in front of her a 2nd time in a row. Guess I have to abandon AGAIN to have any hope of sniffing tracks.

Lunastra is the most insecure elder dragon. She aggros at the sight of a human. Shameful. Just take her out the game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Just curious but why are you trying to pick up tracks to begin with? Investigation hunting? If you're trying to max research levels you can just fight it right?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious but why are you trying to pick up tracks to begin with? Investigation hunting? If you're trying to max research levels you can just fight it right?
Fighting Luna is fucking awful though. I had what looked like 20-25 points before I got toe level 7 so why bother fighting when I can pick up 2 tracks.

I didn't figure that would also be fucking awful.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like females are the dominant ones in the Monster Hunter World. Black Diablos? (gold)Rathian? Lunastra? Don't mess with 'em.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Fighting Luna is fucking awful though. I had what looked like 20-25 points before I got toe level 7 so why bother fighting when I can pick up 2 tracks.

I didn't figure that would also be fucking awful.
I guess there's no easy way out with Luna :/

Seems like females are the dominant ones in the Monster Hunter World. Black Diablos? (gold)Rathian? Lunastra? Don't mess with 'em.
Black Diablos is the one I tend to stay clear of haha

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised to hear that. In my opinion they took a badly designed boss and instead of fixing the bad parts, they doubled down on them.

I can understand where your coming from, but I disagree in this case.

Bullshit like jagra swarms when trying to solo leshen and his constant teleporting before it was fixed, I consider bad design. You have to suffer through.

AT xeno making us play the floor is lava and earthquake city have, both of which have hard skill counters that reward prep and planning I think is good. His original version was so piss easy and boring that I have to imagine this was close to the original vision of a world ending monster

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018

Bullshit like jagra swarms when trying to solo leshen and his constant teleporting before it was fixed, I consider bad design. You have to suffer through.

AT xeno making us play the floor is lava and earthquake city have, both of which have hard skill counters that reward prep and planning I think is good. His original version was so piss easy and boring that I have to imagine this was close to the original vision of a world ending monster
Clear mind charm is your friend against him.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
What are good augments for Crimson Kadachi Lion (pierce HBG)?

2 more affinity for a passive 30%, meaning on top of 30 from max might and then 40 front max crit eye, all your pierce benefit from crit boost as it travels through the hit box saving you the need the need to run WeX. After that you can try an attack, or multiple defense in case you don't run guard.

I highly recommend running 3 naraga. The head gives peak and one rank of Pierce, and true sparsp shot on a 5+ pierce 3 clip is bliss and will astound you at what damage you can put out on anjas, gaans, and bazel. Especially with power barrel. It's amazing and with no need for ballistics, meaning your charm can run something more efficient, like agitator.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
2 more affinity for a passive 30%, meaning on top of 30 from max might and then 40 front max crit eye, all your pierce benefit from crit boost as it travels through the hit box saving you the need the need to run WeX. After that you can try an attack, or multiple defense in case you don't run guard.

I highly recommend running 3 naraga. The head gives peak and one rank of Pierce, and true sparsp shot on a 5+ pierce 3 clip is bliss and will astound you at what damage you can put out on anjas, gaans, and bazel. Especially with power barrel. It's amazing and with no need for ballistics, meaning your charm can run something more efficient, like agitator.
I run Narga :) so affinity and defense it is then ?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I run Narga :) so affinity and defense it is then ?

If your good with rolling and not blocking with a shield, then I would run defense because it's cheap and easy to fill those final slots, especially because you get so many at rank 10. You take more from physical so it could be the difference between an uragaan roll getting you. Especially because max narga defense will be lower than the probably rank 12 armor pieces you'll wear to fill it out. But that all comes down to your comfort. But if you gem in peak and agitator, you have enough attack up not to sweat missing the attack augment at all

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
If your good with rolling and not blocking with a shield, then I would run defense because it's cheap and easy to fill those final slots, especially because you get so many at rank 10. You take more from physical so it could be the difference between an uragaan roll getting you. Especially because max narga defense will be lower than the probably rank 12 armor pieces you'll wear to fill it out. But that all comes down to your comfort. But if you gem in peak and agitator, you have enough attack up not to sweat missing the attack augment at all
I finally got lucky and got a pierce deco

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

If it was only the lava and tremors I wouldn't have such a problem with it. But its only vulnerable parts that you can reliably hit with a melee weapon like a Hammer are its front legs and sometimes its head. But AT Xeno doesn't let you reach them because it either turns aways, flies up or spams AoE blasts. I ran the 5 piece Shara set bonus against it and still I couldn't get close to it.

There will always be weapons that do better than others against certain monsters. But a final boss that flat out can't be fought with certain weapons is bad design. That is what I meant with the devs doubling down on it with AT Xeno. They could have made its hindlegs more vulnerable, they could have forced its head lower to the ground, they could implemented area traps that gave you an opportunity to knock it out. They didn't do any of that. Instead they just made it even harder to hit.

I don't like Shara Ishvalda very much either, but at least it shows Capcom learned from Xeno. Aside from being smaller, you also have the option to soften its hindlegs if you want to play it safe and once you get a feel for its wing sweeps and beam attacks, you can actually use those as an opening to hit its vulnerable frontlegs or even its head. There are multiple area traps, provided it doesn't destroy them with its beams. There is even a prolonged KO if you manage to break its frontlegs. Every weapon can do well against it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Also, is AT Xeno even capable of dropping its horn? I've broken its head four times and I've gotten just as many Veils as a reward. According to the monster log that shouldn't even be possible.

Unless you need to break it twice like Shara.