• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Yup, at level 5 each biome gets a chance to spawn a rare moly variant. I've also read that they only spawn at sunrise/sunset, but I definitely caught more than few during both day and night.

They may rotate spawns at sunrise and sunset though, I'm not sure. I suspect they will add a hoarfrost reach area into guiding lands sometime next year. That way there will be a space for each moly.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Yup, at level 5 each biome gets a chance to spawn a rare moly variant. I've also read that they only spawn at sunrise/sunset, but I definitely caught more than few during both day and night.

They may rotate spawns at sunrise and sunset though, I'm not sure. I suspect they will add a hoarfrost reach area into guiding lands sometime next year. That way there will be a space for each moly.
This video goes into great detail about moly spawns. In their testing the molies could spawn at any time of day, but were much more likely at sunset.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Tips on how to defeat rajang?? And what the heck is moly?
A moly is a rare pet that spawns in Guided Lands. There's a regular one found all over, and then each region has a special rare one.

Hit Rajang with weapon until dead.
I need stun resistance for Rajang. I need it for most fights tbh.
And I have to resist the urge to use clutch claw on him, because unless you time it right he will just throw you off and damage you.

edit: also the palico shield gadget is good, especially if you have levelled it up.

Plexippus

Jun 11, 2019
Quite a productive weekend, finally got three level 7s in the guiding lands:

Hxoq0eo_d.jpg

But here's the real endgame:

lyLSx2d_d.jpg

How can i achive 3 level7 biomes? T_T

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Tested out my HHorn against a Master Rank Lunastra, and it worked out great! Two deaths were from player error, which sucks, but nobody died during her dumb supernova at least.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the hunting horn support yesterday xeik! I probably couldn't beat nergigante without it since it was my first real encounter with it. Never seen a hunting horn player beeing that supportive! Oh and sorry for the barrel bomb mess at the end. I didn't have any slinger ammo left so I had to trigger it directly. Was a lot of fun though.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Thanks for the hunting horn support yesterday xeik! I probably couldn't beat nergigante without it since it was my first real encounter with it. Never seen a hunting horn player beeing that supportive! Oh and sorry for the barrel bomb mess at the end. I didn't have any slinger ammo left so I had to trigger it directly. Was a lot of fun though.
I saw you were online so I figured joining your session to invite you to the squad would be faster than having you join the squad session.

The Tigrex armor has a bonus that makes you not use your consumables most of the time. Paired with Wide Range, which applies what you eat to party members, it makes a set where one can heal and buff almost non-stop. Nergigante is a fight where attacking continuously kills him much faster than having to stop to heal because white spikes are weak spots that trip him when broken but taking too long and those converting to black spikes means you inflict very little damage until he breaks them with his dive-bomb.

On the barrels, no need to worry, as long as people bring them that's enough. I'm just not used to the distance for wake up with a Hunting Horn but most of the time with a hard hitting weapon like a Great Sword or a Hammer I use a charged attack that also triggers the barrels. Before World barrels inflicted a lot of damage on players but now one just takes the hit while taking advantage of the extra barrel damage.
I'm not to sure which attacks are better than barrels to use as a wake up but if the weapon has have a big charged attack I use it. For others like Dual Swords or Long Sword, yeah, waking up with the barrels will probably always be better.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
How can i achive 3 level7 biomes? T_T

Yeah, it's a real pain trying to balance 3 zones.

In general, you want to go for region specific monsters and not really tempered elder dragons. Check your lures to know what's areas the monsters can spawn in.

Rajang and savage Jho don't give anything since they're in all zones.

Here's a translated image with how monsters affect each zone (pre-volcanic region):

EFmpnRwU0AEcKy1.jpg

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit..managed to beat the HR200 quest with 1 minutes left on the timer...

The one that gives me trouble the most is Ruiner Nergigante, completely exhausted by the time he arrived, and with only 12 minutes left on the clock, I pretty much can't focus anymore and just go full YOLO.

Carted againt Teostra on like the first 4 minutes due to stupid mistake, but in the end the Fortitude effect ended up saving the day lol.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The Gold Rathian and Silver Rathalos events are pretty useful, since I'm ages away from finding them in the guiding lands. Gold rath armour seems really good and I can't wait to get enough parts. Silver los, not so much - though his weapons seem the best for fire element.
Gold rath surspikes seem rare as hell though. I guess you need the tail sever, which probably means going solo, or at least making sure all your partners have sever weapons. Her weapons require a huge number of them.

I used a highly defensive lance build to be safe. 25 mins solo. I'm sure that's not great, but it works for me. I prefer playing lance aggressively with a safe build. I think an aggressive playstyle boosts my DPS more than if I went master's touch and tried to never get hit. Especially if I'm still learning a monster's moves.
The gold/silver rath are a fun fight too (not sure I fancy them both at once in guiding lands though). I think Azure rath is more annoying with the constant flying around and fireballing. Gold and silver rath seem to fly lower, stay still, and not screech so often but maybe that's just a lower ceiling in Nerg's nest area that keeps them in perfect high-poke range.
Lance is very useful for weakening parts with counter claw since the attacks are well telegraphed. And for not fainting.

It took 20 mins with the same build in multi, so I don't think I was holding anyone back (it should take about 15 minutes if everyone was DPS'ing at my solo rate). I probably get about the same DPS in multi, since I don't lose much uptime in the Nerg nest area and I gain some easy tailstabs while she's fireballing someone else.
I think some poor sod was using S&S, which must be horrible against a flying monster. He wasn't even playing support! I think a sticky LBG was doing the most DPS, but he fainted once so I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Gold rath surspikes seem rare as hell though. I guess you need the tail sever, which probably means going solo, or at least making sure all your partners have sever weapons. Her weapons require a huge number of them.
Try and get investigations for Gold Rath. It takes forever to cut the tail and you can get a bunch of surespikes from gold boxes if you're lucky.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People use 4 pc Silver Rathalos set for Elemental Bow builds. It's quite powerful. Standalone they aren't that good though.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Try and get investigations for Gold Rath. It takes forever to cut the tail and you can get a bunch of surespikes from gold boxes if you're lucky.

Does the gold rathian tail work like some elder dragons where you can only get the tail cut when it's below a certain hp threshold? I swear there have been runs where I do nothing but attack the tail and it only comes off right before she's in capture range, if that. Silver rathalos tail comes right off though.

Or does the tail just have that much hp?

Investigations are the way though considering how much sure spikes you need.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Does the gold rathian tail work like some elder dragons where you can only get the tail cut when it's below a certain hp threshold? I swear there have been runs where I do nothing but attack the tail and it only comes off right before she's in capture range, if that. Silver rathalos tail comes right off though.

Or does the tail just have that much hp?

Investigations are the way though considering how much sure spikes you need.
I think the tail just has a lot of hp. I've gotten a tail quite early (before slinger ammo drops) by going solo with GS and only hitting the tail.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That tail has a lot of HP. You need to be focusing exclusively on the tail to get it even in solo.

In group we had 3 out of 4 ppl focusing on the tail and still couldn't cut it. Also attacking Gold Rathian from behind is super risky as well due to its spinny tail attack that does a lot of poison damage especially when tempered. Also has a very specific hit zone, you want to hit the tip of the tail for bigger damage not where it starts.

Investigations with a good amount of gold rewards is the way to go. I got two from a hunt and that was enough to craft the Waist piece which are godlike.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Does Gold Rathian have a specific surspike or is it the same material for all Rathians? If the second, wouldn't it be smarter to do your surspike farming on regular non tempered green Rathians? At least once you have all the other gold materials you need.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does Gold Rathian have a specific surspike or is it the same material for all Rathians? If the second, wouldn't it be smarter to do your surspike farming on regular non tempered green Rathians? At least once you have all the other gold materials you need.
It's a Golden Surspike, can only be gotten from a Gold Rathian.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
You can still get non-surspike loot from the tail, which makes it even more infuriating. I hated hunting for those lol.

Nov 7, 2017
Is there still even a desire sensor in mhw? I cant recall ever having to grind a monster more that a couple times for any specific part with investigations and melding now. Compared to like mh3u where u had to kill zinogre 90 times to get a gem

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Is there still even a desire sensor in mhw? I cant recall ever having to grind a monster more that a couple times for any specific part with investigations and melding now. Compared to like mh3u where u had to kill zinogre 90 times to get a gem
Instead of needing very few of an extremely rare material, we suffer from needing a ton of non meldable materials that can only be carved, gotten from breaking parts or investigation boxes but not from regular quest rewards. I'm looking at you Vaal Hazak Fangs.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
what are your favorite monsters to fight with your weapon(s) of choice

for me its:
Lance vs Namielle and Zinogre (Zin does that stomping attack and getting all the counters as he's changing his cadence is so badass)
Great Sword vs Shara
Long Sword vs RuiNerg
SnS vs Rajang

edit: omg i almost forgot Insect Glaive vs Velkhana, the changing terrain lets you use all your abilities in cool ways

banter

Jan 12, 2018
what are your favorite monsters to fight with your weapon(s) of choice

for me its:
Lance vs Namielle and Zinogre (Zin does that stomping attack and getting all the counters as he's changing his cadence is so badass)
Great Sword vs Shara
Long Sword vs RuiNerg
SnS vs Rajang

edit: omg i almost forgot Insect Glaive vs Velkhana, the changing terrain lets you use all your abilities in cool ways
Hammer vs ruiner nergi
Bow vs kushala daora
Hbg vs xenojiiva
Great sword vs kirin
Hammer vs rajang (something really satisfying about when he tumbles backwards from an uppercut to the face)

Plexippus

Jun 11, 2019
Yeah, it's a real pain trying to balance 3 zones.

In general, you want to go for region specific monsters and not really tempered elder dragons. Check your lures to know what's areas the monsters can spawn in.

Rajang and savage Jho don't give anything since they're in all zones.

Here's a translated image with how monsters affect each zone (pre-volcanic region):

Thanks bro! will this ensure that hunting region specific monster will not decrease another level 7 biome?

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Something about Shara makes me really excited for next gen games lol (not just monster hunter). All of the effects and sounds are crazy good

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the asshole for kicking Gunlance user who hold block (with occasional shelling) until they can use Wyvernfir and send me and the other players flying several times in the span of few minutes (they use Artillery 5) ?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I just got teamed up with someone who tried to flash bomb Kushala at least 5 times, and trap it 3 times.

I swear to fuck every time I try and fight that thing I end up cursed somehow.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Thanks bro! will this ensure that hunting region specific monster will not decrease another level 7 biome?

It will sometimes decrease it depending on what monster you hunt. You can look in your guild card to see how much of the level 7 bar you have left and I think the total levels you can have at any given time is 23. So three level 7s and two level 1s.

Pro tip: leave the expedition as soon as you see your last level6 -> level 7 biome pop up on the side, as more than not if you finish killing that monster it will decrease another biome. Lock those region levels and be done with it.

Last edited:

Plexippus

Jun 11, 2019
It will sometimes decrease it depending on what monster you hunt. You can look in your guild card to see how much of the level 7 bar you have left and I think the total levels you can have at any given time is 23. So three level 7s and two level 1s.

Pro tip: leave the expedition as soon as you see your last level6 -> level 7 biome pop up on the side, as more than not if you finish killing that monster it will decrease another biome. Lock those region levels and be done with it.

it is very hard for me. but i will try this! Thank you very much bro.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
since we're talking gunlances: what are the big differences between the three types?

Shell capacity Normal > Long > Wide.
Since normal has the most, doing an attack combo that leads to the big "unload every shell" slam is ideal. Long Shells do the most damage when you charge them up, Wide do the most damage just using a shell attack quickly and without charging. So whichever type you use denotes which gunlance play style you should follow.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Hunted a high rank radobaan yesterday with my trusted longsword and I have to say that this is a very good designed monster. It has cool moves, you can trip it when it is exhausted and rolling, the breakable parts are clearly visible and it feels very satisfying to break one part, the fight gets hectic when he is in rage mode, he has a special sleep attack and so on. One of my favorite fights!

Oct 29, 2017
Shell capacity Normal > Long > Wide.
Since normal has the most, doing an attack combo that leads to the big "unload every shell" slam is ideal. Long Shells do the most damage when you charge them up, Wide do the most damage just using a shell attack quickly and without charging. So whichever type you use denotes which gunlance play style you should follow.
Thanks, I get it now!