• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Shell capacity Normal > Long > Wide.
Since normal has the most, doing an attack combo that leads to the big "unload every shell" slam is ideal. Long Shells do the most damage when you charge them up, Wide do the most damage just using a shell attack quickly and without charging. So whichever type you use denotes which gunlance play style you should follow.
There's a lot of other changes that each type gets to the numbers as well.

Normal also gets a damage bonus to full-burst, in addition to being better because of more shells, and Wide gets damage bonuses for Wyvern's Fire and Wyrmstake. Also, each type gets different damage off of Wyrmstake Blast even when they use the same shell attacks, but I don't remember the numbers

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Is there still even a desire sensor in mhw? I cant recall ever having to grind a monster more that a couple times for any specific part with investigations and melding now. Compared to like mh3u where u had to kill zinogre 90 times to get a gem

Throughout this entire expansion I've never had to grind anything to make gear. Unless you count needing the highest level gems from tempered elder dragons in the Guiding Lands which are used for the highest augments. Had to fight a few to get all the ones I needed.

Thanks, I get it now!
There's a lot of other changes that each type gets to the numbers as well.

Normal also gets a damage bonus to full-burst, in addition to being better because of more shells, and Wide gets damage bonuses for Wyvern's Fire and Wyrmstake. Also, each type gets different damage off of Wyrmstake Blast even when they use the same shell attacks, but I don't remember the numbers

Yup. All this too.

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
This game's shitty matchmaking really gets me down. Can't find a single SOS for Yian Garuga.

I like Kirin too. It's a comfortable fight with crit draw GS.
That movement style coupled with one usable hitzone on a small target makes it a nightmare for melee. I admit to being part of the group of people that yelled, WHY, when he was announced. But as a sticky ammo fan, I've come to not worry about him at all
Aye, it's a fun fight with hammer.

I just love how distinct it is from the rest of the lizards/dragons/dinosaurs.

He is too perfect of a monster. High hp, high defense, super speed. It doesnt make any sense

It makes about as much sense as a small white horse that can harness the power of raw lighting ha ha. Nothing wrong with a strong monster.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
i use bow & arrow for everything, but sometimes i bring out my longsword and fuckin LOVE IT when everything clicks and you do a full spirit slash combo into sheathe and keep going

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Double post, but whatever. Can someone give some advice on what would be some good gear to help my roommate get through to the endgame? They mainly use Insect Glaive but they've been neglecting to keep up with getting mats. They also don't have a ton of decos, so they'd have to rely on armor skills.

I've been helping them through some missions when I can, but this would be to help them stand on their own.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played MHW since release, and even then I only reached the second area. I blame my friend for flaking badly on me and leaving me without anyone to play with (which is what convinced me to buy it to begin with), but I did play enough to know I do actually like it.

So, with time finally available to me, I'm considering giving this another genuine shot .That said, with all the Iceborne content having long since dropped, I'm wondering what's the best way to tackle stuff for someone who essentially could still be classed a newcomer; Should I just make my way through the base game as normal and seek assistance as necessary? I largely played alone before, but am not all opposed to having people to play alongside with.

Any (and all) words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played MHW since release, and even then I only reached the second area. I blame my friend for flaking badly on me and leaving me without anyone to play with (which is what convinced me to buy it to begin with), but I did play enough to know I do actually like it.

So, with time finally available to me, I'm considering giving this another genuine shot .That said, with all the Iceborne content having long since dropped, I'm wondering what's the best way to tackle stuff for someone who essentially could still be classed a newcomer; Should I just make my way through the base game as normal and seek assistance as necessary? I largely played alone before, but am not all opposed to having people to play alongside with.

You can do that. If you don't want to spend too much time in World vanilla content I think you get the Guardian armor set for free as a reward (check with your housekeeper cat). This armor set will last you until Master rank/Iceborne, so you just need to craft the weapons you like, and don't have to bother with crafting any armor. It will reduce the chance of burnout if you wanna continue with Iceborne later.

Either way, playing as normal is fine.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Double post, but whatever. Can someone give some advice on what would be some good gear to help my roommate get through to the endgame? They mainly use Insect Glaive but they've been neglecting to keep up with getting mats. They also don't have a ton of decos, so they'd have to rely on armor skills.

I've been helping them through some missions when I can, but this would be to help them stand on their own.

For a great catch all set throughout all of Iceborne I recommend they get the Tigrex gear assuming they're that far along. That Free Meal lv3 skill is ridiculous for staying alive and soloing. Regardless if they use other weapons the Tigrex gear is useful no matter what. It has good enough defense to as long as they're upgrading it.

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
For a great catch all set throughout all of Iceborne I recommend they get the Tigrex gear assuming they're that far along. That Free Meal lv3 skill is ridiculous for staying alive and soloing. Regardless if they use other weapons the Tigrex gear is useful no matter what. It has good enough defense to as long as they're upgrading it.
pretty sure they are, yeah. we fought it once for the story and I remember them playing against the first velkhana fight. i don't mind grinding regular tigrex with them. thanks!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Another decent mid/early IB set is the Narga set. No one likes sharpening or reloading and the points in evasion are good at keeping you alive.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got a Guard Up decoration after hundreds of hours playing this game... goodbye Bulwark charm

i feel free 😭😭😭

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
This game's shitty matchmaking really gets me down. Can't find a single SOS for Yian Garuga.

I just love how distinct it is from the rest of the lizards/dragons/dinosaurs.

It makes about as much sense as a small white horse that can harness the power of raw lighting ha ha. Nothing wrong with a strong monster.
I am actually more interested if it has a subscpecies version like Burning Kirin as an example. Kirin with flame but slower

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Play normally.

Also try to solo each monsters at least once (at this point, people who join your SOS most likely will be Master Rank players who will wreck the monsters in minutes, probably to fill the "help LR/HR players" quota for the Trophy). I also against using Guardian Armor sets from the get go (save it for the final few monsters).

Also don't forget to learn the basic of your weapon of choice, you don't want to be that guy who already on Master Rank but still don't understand the basic of your weapon (ex : Insect Glaive users who don't extract any buff and just spam vault attack, or Charge Blade users who don't know the whole shield-charging mechanic).

Imo relying on high level players and Guardian Armor sets for Low/High Rank will backfire once you get to Master Rank.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I was so annoyed yesterday because i failed fighting blackveiled hazak. All matches i joined are failures. Hazak kept using his smokey burst literally 10 times in a row without stopping. Thats bullshit. And the quest leader just kept strolling around because he was too afraid to lose the fight. I blocked him at the end

rahji

Oct 25, 2017

I also started with the master edition a few weeks ago and it is no big deal. Play normal, learn the monsters and your weapons and have fun. So far I am still in high rank and I haven't even reached the iceborne content yet because I take my time with the optionals. I also didn't use the armor that you get as a gift because it looks ugly as hell.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
what are your favorite monsters to fight with your weapon(s) of choice

for me its:
Lance vs Namielle and Zinogre (Zin does that stomping attack and getting all the counters as he's changing his cadence is so badass)
Great Sword vs Shara
Long Sword vs RuiNerg
SnS vs Rajang

edit: omg i almost forgot Insect Glaive vs Velkhana, the changing terrain lets you use all your abilities in cool ways
Shara LBG for everything now , I love it.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Seconded. Tigrex got me through the campaign.
There are some power prolonger armours that will help with glaives too. Maybe it was barioth, but I'm on my phone so I can't check.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter frontier has some ugly ass designs, but it definitely has some gems in the mix.

There was a fire rajang that look amazing.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
i know how that feels, i was really looking for my first ore for charm upgrade it really takes it's time until i get one. But now when i check my item i've got more than 20.

Speaking of shadowcore, can it be obtained from quest rewards of any temp threat 3 investigation/monster (e.g. Temp Savage Jho) or does it have to come from a temp elder dragon?

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Just got to MR70 in time to do the silver and gold rath quests. Silver Rath is dope as hell, but what in the world is up with Gold doing all those tatsu spins for lmao

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I recall in dev diary 3 they showed Val Habar and Moga them3 in music player, are they in the game, maybe unlocked or something ? Or are they in the video for showcase only ?

Also I really like Tales Spun through Song, listening it make me wish for a more story focused spin off set in MH universe (kinda like MH Stories but with the mainline game tone/direction).

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Holy Shit

This has to be a tease at parts. Mainly pay attention to the monsters shown that are animated and rendered

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Was nice seeing fully animated and rendered versions of Lagiacrus (which we knew existed since OG MHW) and Seregios and Gore Magala. GAWD we need Gore in the game
Yeah, for sure. Gore is one of my most wanted monsters that never ended up in Iceborne. I wish we would've gotten more gen 4 monsters, there are so many good ones.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if we got Gore, Seregios, and Valstrax

Also god damn that Fatalis render. Fucking WHENNNN

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I've said for a while that our next monster will be Fatalis and it'll be a siege battle like Kulve was.

Everyone whined about the random drops, but I'm sure Capcom looked at the numbers and saw that every time Kulve was up for months after she got added, a huge number of players would jump back in to try and get her weapons. Plus, they didn't add the Dragon Razor just for that one non-fight with Velkhana.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Kinda disappointed in this style of size comparison vid compared to the last one, but it's understandable I guess since it would be a lot more work to make new renders for nearly every monster.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Watching it with sound now.

Why'd they throw in Mizutsune's theme? I'm not complaining because it's a great theme, but it's not the main theme of Generations nor is it the main flagship's theme.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Temporal Mantle made Kirin alot easier and also more fun.

A shame it doesn't work on Behemoth's super meteor attack tho.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
That whole last bit with the crimson fatalis, white fatalis, dire miralis, alatreon, and the fully rendered normal fatalis (all of the black dragons basically) seems like a HARD tease.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas