• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips from Bow users on how to maximize damage? Only just starting to try it out, and I'm getting through MR hunts okay with no carts, but my hunt times are a bit higher than I'd like. Right now I'm mostly just bow dancing and throwing in the odd arc shot or dragon piercer when I see an opening. Running Constitution 5 and Normal Shots 2 right now (alongside some other less important skills), and using a Brachy bow.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I mean the weaker of the two also get guaranteed pods that two knockdowns before it enrages. With heavy weapons you're only getting what you have on you for the most part.
Can't underestimate 100% uptime on the tenderize. Light weapons have a lot of trouble maintaining it currently. There's also so much slinger ammo in the environment in the new maps that the benefit of of free slinger ammo drops is diminished by quite a bit.

They should probably balance it out based on how long the clutch claw weapon attack animations are. Heavy weapons get longer animations, so they're less safe to use, while light weapons do it faster and can be thrown out more often.

You know, like how the weapons have always worked.

But instead it feels like the weapons are mostly the same in terms of attack animation duration, with a couple of the light ones feeling unnecessarily slow and some of the heavy ones feeling surprisingly fast.

That could be a place to start, yeah. IG has a super hard time with it because their clutch attack is one of the longest and they have to go through extra inputs and animations to actually use the thing instead of shooting their kinsect.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
OK, now I love my new house.

monsterhunterworld_ictskcl.jpg

Those things are adorable. They even react if you frolic.

I like how you can select multiple of each animal now, though this does mean I have to go back into the wilds and catch some more critters.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea of the claw but kind of hate how it implemented specially for solo play, feels like they increased the monsters HP to balance this new mechanic but didn't take into account that pulling it off solo sucks since any attack can throw you off.

Clutch Clawing onto a monster becomes way more consistent once you realize that while any attack can throw you off, that's not the same as every attack. Besides going for the super obvious exhausted tell to get your wounds in or trying to combo a slinger shot->confirm a flinch->clutch claw, you can also try to bait out specific monster attacks to take advantage of their long animations and target specific parts that aren't related to that attack. So if a monster starts winding up for a tail whip, that's usually a great time to start moving to the head to get that head wound. Similarly, big fireball/breath attacks are usually a great time to target literally any other part of the body.

It takes a lot of getting thrown off to get to that point where you understand what parts of a monster are safe to mount during specific attacks, but those opportunities exist and they're very consistent to exploit once you understand where they are.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips from Bow users on how to maximize damage? Only just starting to try it out, and I'm getting through MR hunts okay with no carts, but my hunt times are a bit higher than I'd like. Right now I'm mostly just bow dancing and throwing in the odd arc shot or dragon piercer when I see an opening. Running Constitution 5 and Normal Shots 2 right now (alongside some other less important skills), and using a Brachy bow.

If you have a Mighty Bow jewel, do quick shot, normal shot, power shot, normal shot, power shot (Circle -> R2 -> Circle -> R2 -> Circle). After this combo, if you still have stamina, dash dance to keep the charge level up. If you don't have Mighty Bow, do quick shot, power shot, normal shot, power shot. Constitution 5 is largely overkill, Constitution 3 is fine. Don't ever use dragon piercer because it's terrible. Focus on using elemental bows (Legiana for ice, Anjanath for fire, Tobi for thunder, water element tree for water, dragonbone for dragon) and match the element to the monster's weakness. Try to get a Mighty Bow jewel if you can, the DPS increase is signficant. Also look for Weakness Exploit, Critical Eye, Stamina Surge, elemental attack increase, and Critical Element from the two-piece Velkhana set bonus.

This is the set I came up with and am using currently, but it requires elder dragon stuff.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Does the addition of Iceborne give Monster hunter world more content than 4U and generations now?

Iceborne is closing in on Gen/4U (which has 73/75 large monsters)

So the current content race is

1 - GenU with a whopping 93 Large monsters
2 - MH4U with 75
3 - Generations with 73
4 - Iceborne with 64

With the rest of the mainlines being below this number

I could see Iceborne potentially catching up to Generations and 4U depending on how deep the DLC will go!

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017

2 - MH4U with 75
3 - Generations with 73
4 - Iceborne with 64

I could see Iceborne potentially catching up to Generations and 4U depending on how deep the DLC will go!

That's really impressive considering the difference in scope of World compared to its predecessors.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

2 - MH4U with 75
3 - Generations with 73
4 - Iceborne with 64

64*

*like 6 or so of the monsters that are in high rank are not in master rank

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a Mighty Bow jewel, do quick shot, normal shot, power shot, normal shot, power shot (Circle -> R2 -> Circle -> R2 -> Circle). After this combo, if you still have stamina, dash dance to keep the charge level up. If you don't have Mighty Bow, do quick shot, power shot, normal shot, power shot. Constitution 5 is largely overkill, Constitution 3 is fine. Don't ever use dragon piercer because it's terrible. Focus on using elemental bows (Legiana for ice, Anjanath for fire, Tobi for thunder, water element tree for water, dragonbone for dragon) and match the element to the monster's weakness. Try to get a Mighty Bow jewel if you can, the DPS increase is signficant. Also look for Weakness Exploit, Critical Eye, Stamina Surge, elemental attack increase, and Critical Element from the two-piece Velkhana set bonus.

This is the set I came up with and am using currently, but it requires elder dragon stuff.

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. I'll definitely keep an eye out for a Mighty Bow jewel (though I get the feeling it'll be like the Guard Up jewel and RNG will just never give it to me =/).

Just did MR Odogaron in the arena with Bow just to check my time again. 25 minutes (could have been faster but I didn't use the Dragonator or rock trap since I wanted it to be as close to normal hunt conditions as possible). Yeah, gonna want to take at least 5 minutes off that, if not a bit more, for something like Odo.

Last edited:

banter

Jan 12, 2018
That's really impressive considering the difference in scope of World compared to its predecessors.
If you count world and iceborne as one game (which it is) it has an advantage that it had both MH dev teams on it as opposed to just one like all previous titles.
If we are going to exclude rank specific monsters i would call out that GenU also does this which is why i dont bother using that metric
what monster in genU doesn't have a G rank version?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If you count world and iceborne as one game (which it is) it has an advantage that it had both MH dev teams on it as opposed to just one like all previous titles.

what monster in genU doesn't have a G rank version?

Oh i got confused.. He means in reverse

Which ones dont show up yet in master rank again?

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
If we are going to exclude rank specific monsters i would call out that GenU also does this which is why i dont bother using that metric
Everything is fightable in G rank GU. I'm just talking about stuff that was not even carried over into the rank where you will spend 95% of your time, not stuff that was introduced at g rank and isn't in low/high rank.
Bazel, Jho, Nergi, Xeno'jiva, Vaal, Zorah are all missing in master rank or only represented by their variant. I don't see a point in counting stuff you will never fight in Iceborne, but that's just me. I'm sure we will see Kulve return and probably something Xeno related as well. Also Leshen and Behemoth, but those are sort of a special case.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Everything is fightable in G rank GU. I'm just talking about stuff that was not even carried over into the rank where you will spend 95% of your time, not stuff that was introduced at g rank and isn't in low/high rank.
Bazel, Jho, Nergi, Xeno'jiva, Vaal, Zorah are all missing in master rank or only represented by their variant. I don't see a point in counting stuff you will never fight in Iceborne, but that's just me. I'm sure we will see Kulve return and probably something Xeno related as well. Also Leshen and Behemoth, but those are sort of a special case.

The missing monsters could still show up as event quests or investigations right?

Ill have to double check if my count excluded Leshen and Behemoth

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The missing monsters could still show up as event quests or investigations right?

Ill have to double check if my count excluded Leshen and Behemoth
I could see them coming back in events for sure. Especially Xeno who is completely missing and doesn't even have a variant to replace. Pretty sure we would have seen investigation exclusive monsters if that were the case already.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an endgame Xeno set that comes from Guiding Lands stuff, like the endgame Zorah set?

If not, seems like a decent sign that we could see an event only MR Xeno.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zorah coming back would be kind of weird narratively considering his dead body is an actual hunting region now lmao but who knows with this series

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Definetly starting to wish hunts took about 10 mins less to complete.

Fightning the elders is a drag and my weapons/decos can't get that much better.

Cant even imagine how a tempered elder is gonna be like

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Ill be more than happy if they dont bring Zorah back lol

That said Im not applying any disqualifiers to my monster count outside of the collabs

The count is 62 (64 if you count Behe/Leshen)

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take a second Zorah if it means we won't see Lao Shan Lung.

But their priorities should be towards adding the Magalas and Valstrax long before thinking about another Zorah.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Quick Question: I just hunt my first Barioth, and I'm thinking about upgrading my weapon, but I can't craft anything above rank 9, so my Diablo's CB is better than any other option available. How do I unlock the higher weapon ranks? Are they tied to the main quests, right?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Quick Question: I just hunt my first Barioth, and I'm thinking about upgrading my weapon, but I can't craft anything above rank 9, so my Diablo's CB is better than any other option available. How do I unlock the higher weapon ranks? Are they tied to the main quests, right?
There isn't a wall of unlocks like before, things unlock as you get the parts that can make them.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone please tell me that coalescense is actually good.
I need a justification for going with the alpha set instead beta..

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone please tell me that coalescense is actually good.
I need a justification for going with the alpha set instead beta..

It depends on how often your getting hit. If your up in a monster junk going ham in melee a bit reckless and having to constantly use a nullberry after an elemental attack, then it might be worth it. If your a ranged or Lance user and not getting hit and guarding, then it would be a waste.

I sure wouldn't build a set around getting hit though.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
It depends on how often your getting hit. If your up in a monster junk going ham in melee a bit reckless and having to constantly use a nullberry after an elemental attack, then it might be worth it. If your a ranged or Lance user and not getting hit and guarding, then it would be a waste.

I sure wouldn't build a set around getting hit though.
I know, I doesn't sound great. velkhana α set looks so much better though.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This cam up in my subscription. So i thought i'd post it in here. Some of you lovely people would find it helpful.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
So, I beat the final boss but jesus christ, I think that quest destroyed me. Took me 4 tries, about 3 hours to finally beat it. Randoms on multi were no help and each try was like 35+ minutes, so the thing was really, really tedious. Eventually I beat it solo, which was satisfying on its own I guess, but it's a fight I don't feel I want to revisit for a while.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
A hoonter must hoont!

hoontermusthoont8ojnr.jpg

And needlessly show her thighs.

Man, I love Pukei-Pukei.

It's not a half bad setup either if you're going for poison damage:

hoontermusthoont29qk46.jpg

Keep in mind I wanted to incorporate as many L4 decos I had (which isn't a lot) hence the bigger focus on support.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So tell me, does Iceborne have such lovely and memorable music as MHW? Because man, I just love the Astera theme so much. It's crazy how that theme just doesn't get old and we must have heard that a ridiculous amount of times now, lol.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So tell me, does Iceborne have such lovely and memorable music as MHW? Because man, I just love the Astera theme so much. It's crazy how that theme just doesn't get old and we must have heard that a ridiculous amount of times now, lol.

The soundtrack is better than the main game's. Monsters like Zinogre and Brachydios have awesome remixes, the Guiding Lands theme is great, etc.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of getting into the bow after how awful fighting Shrieking Legiana was. Been a CB, SnS and LS user thus far.

Looking for skill recommendations to look out for. Eyeing up the Mr Legiana set as a base armour set to start from? It's mostly to take out SL but I may try the class out generally.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seliana's theme is even better than Astera's. While I don't think there's a new battle theme as amazing as the Rotten Vale, all the new remixes are great (I especially love Brachydios's) and the final boss theme is particularly awesome.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of getting into the bow after how awful fighting Shrieking Legiana was. Been a CB, SnS and LS user thus far.

Looking for skill recommendations to look out for. Eyeing up the Mr Legiana set as a base armour set to start from? It's mostly to take out SL but I may try the class out generally.

Don't bother with the Legiana set, it gives you the Mighty Bow skill but the armor skills and slots don't make up for it. You need the jewel or just wear something else that gives you Weakness Exploit, Constitution, elemental attack, Stamina Surge, Critical Eye, etc.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Don't bother with the Legiana set, it gives you the Mighty Bow skill but the armor skills and slots don't make up for it. You need the jewel or just wear something else that gives you Weakness Exploit, Constitution, elemental attack, Stamina Surge, Critical Eye, etc.
Cheers, I'll bear that in mind. In like 2000 hunts I haven't tried ranged weapons more than once and I hated the guns. I'll have a look at building a set to experiment with tomorrow.