• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Also, the "ecosystem" talk in this game making me laugh.

Us, slaughtering animals by the hundreds or even thousands to use their skins and body parts for weapons and armor, "part of the ecosystem", lol.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is especially true for bows -___________________________-

It feels like melee players can optimize their build quite easily while bows.... can't as easily do that....
It feels like there are far more things that work for melee builds, so it gives players the options. Will bows and also the other ranged weapons, it feels like you have to build for the same things. I pretty much always run a crit, stamina regen and bow charge build, so sometimes I would get new items and can them because they do nothing for me haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
It feels like there are far more things that work for melee builds, so it gives players the options. Will bows and also the other ranged weapons, it feels like you have to build for the same things. I pretty much always run a crit, stamina regen and bow charge build, so sometimes I would get new items and can them because they do nothing for me haha.

For my part I wear Velkhana's Head + Armor, with Dober gauntlet, Namielle's skirt, and the last boss' leg armor, with Fitness Charm.

With decos, giving me stuff like Constitution 5, Stamina Surge 3, Weakness Exploit 3, Mushroomancer 3, Free Meal 1, Normal Shot 1, Spread Shot 1, Special Ammo Boost 2, etc etc.

I switch things up sometimes on the decos for earplugs, elemental resistances (hate blights, so I use Dragon Res for Deviljho, water for Namielle, etc etc) but the armor set itself, it's pretty much set and unchanged. I am already getting a bit bored with how my Hunter looks, haha, maybe I should try switching up for a melee weapon to freshen things up....

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For my part I wear Velkhana's Head + Armor, with Dober gauntlet, Namielle's skirt, and the last boss' leg armor, with Fitness Charm.

With decos, giving me stuff like Constitution 5, Stamina Surge 3, Weakness Exploit 3, Mushroomancer 3, Free Meal 1, Normal Shot 1, Spread Shot 1, Special Ammo Boost 2, etc etc.

I switch things up sometimes on the decos for earplugs, elemental resistances (hate blights, so I use Dragon Res for Deviljho, water for Namielle, etc etc) but the armor set itself, it's pretty much set and unchanged. I am already getting a bit bored with how my Hunter looks, haha, maybe I should try switching up for a melee weapon to freshen things up....
I must admit, not jumped into IB yet. So busy haha. I always spend way too long checking out items and seeing what works. Sometimes I do get a little lost and unsure what actually works with bow.

As much as I love Bow, I want to try something new but it's always a crazy slog to start fresh and get bodied by the lesser monsters at the start.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must admit, not jumped into IB yet. So busy haha. I always spend way too long checking out items and seeing what works. Sometimes I do get a little lost and unsure what actually works with bow.

As much as I love Bow, I want to try something new but it's always a crazy slog to start fresh and get bodied by the lesser monsters at the start.
You won't get bodied

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
FUCK Barioth!

Hardest, most unfun monster in the whole game until now IMO.

Nergigante in vanilla MHW was hard, but I always felt like I was learning the fight and making progress. I don't remember how many tries I had before I managed to down him for the first time but eventually I got really good at that fight and farmed him. Fighting him never bothered me.

The status heavy monsters in Iceborne can be a pain if you're not prepared but they can be dealt if you gear up accordingly.

Elder Dragons are fun, and a good challenge, even their superior forms.

Barioth is just not like any of those. He is so mobile that I had a hard time hitting him. I'm playing solo and if I hadn't found some tailriders hunters I would probably not have managed to kill him.

I know you can brake the spikes on his wings and he will trip a lot, but he gets up fast. Flashing him while he is flying is not that good because he isn't usually close when he does it.

I'm playing with a long sword and for the first time in the game I had problems to keep my spirit meter up because hitting him with the last move of the spirit combo was so fucking difficult. Never even tried a helmsplitter.

I felt like I was constantly running after him instead of doing the fun stuff you know...fighting and dodging.

I think I was well prepared for the fight (full banbaro gear upgraded to the max, and that master rank anjanath sword, plus some fitting decos) but he still hit like a truck and took too little damage...I almost lost because of a time out. And he had a habbit of hitting me just as I was getting up. All my revives were useless because it took so long to get up that he just hit me again before I had a chance to react.

It seems tigrex and nargacuda are barioth reskins and if they fight like he did I hope this won't sour me on the game.

No one answered my SOS as well.

I realize that my frustration probably made the fight a lot harder than it should be, but Barioth seems to be designed to annoy me... :-(

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK Barioth!

Nergigante in vanilla MHW was hard, but I always felt like I was learning the fight and making progress. I don't remember how many tries I had before I managed to down him for the first time but eventually I got really good at that fight and farmed him. Fighting him never bothered me.

The status heavy monsters in Iceborne can be a pain if you're not prepared but they can be dealt if you gear up accordingly.

Barioth is just not like any of those. He is so mobile that I had a hard time hitting him. I'm playing solo and if I hadn't found some tailriders hunters I would probably not have managed to kill him.

I know you can brake the spikes on his wings and he will trip a lot, but he gets up fast. Flashing him while he is flying is not that good because he isn't usually close when he does it.

I'm playing with a long sword and for the first time in the game I had problem to keep up my spirit meter up because hitting him with the last move of the spirit combo was so fucking difficult. Never even tried a helmsplitter.

I felt like I was constantly running after him and instead of fighting and dodging.

I think I was well prepared for the fight (full banbaro gear upgraded to the max, and that master rank anjanath sword, plus some fitting decos) but he still hit like a truck and took to little damage...I almost lost because of a time out. And he had an habbit of hitting me just as I was getting up. All my revives were useless because it took so long to get up that he just hit me again before I had a chance to react.

It seems tigrex and nargacuda are barioth reskins and if they fight like he did I hope this won't sour me on the game.

I realize that my frustration probably made the fight a lot harder than it should be, but Barioth seems to be designed to annoy me... :-(
Trigex and Naga aren't reskins. Just send me your psn stufg

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
FUCK Barioth!

I'm playing with a long sword and for the first time in the game I had problems to keep my spirit meter up because hitting him with the last move of the spirit combo was so fucking difficult. Never even tried a helmsplitter.

I felt like I was constantly running after him instead of doing the fun stuff you know...fighting and dodging.

I think I was well prepared for the fight (full banbaro gear upgraded to the max, and that master rank anjanath sword, plus some fitting decos) but he still hit like a truck and took too little damage...I almost lost because of a time out. And he had an habbit of hitting me just as I was getting up. All my revives were useless because it took so long to get up that he just hit me again before I had a chance to react.

Are you on PSN i can help you with the upcoming battles when you want. Just leave me a pm.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018

To me the most important part of Monster Hunter is to try everything, I have a friend who only uses bow and I couldn't bring my self to stick to just one. with every new game I always pick one main weapon but then branch out once I start farming or get a little bored.

Arena is a great place to start trying new sets and I'm always up for arena if you are on.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone know the mats for awakening charm 3? I'm guessing the first 2 are from MR Kirin but what about the other 2? I can't find anything online.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Trigex and Naga aren't reskins. Just send me your psn stufg

Are you on PSN i can help you with the upcoming battles when you want. Just leave me a pm.

Thank God they are not reskins, they lookeded similar to me, I will avoid Barioth like the plague and hope no other monster is as fast as that...he looks like a ping pong ball!

Thanks for the offers guys, I managed to beat him on my own in the end and will log out for the night! If I have trouble again in the future I will PM you both! Cheers!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
My MH life is now complete.

fcUFQTB.jpg

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FUCK Barioth!

I think I was well prepared for the fight (full banbaro gear upgraded to the max, and that master rank anjanath sword, plus some fitting decos) but he still hit like a truck and took too little damage...I almost lost because of a time out. And he had a habbit of hitting me just as I was getting up. All my revives were useless because it took so long to get up that he just hit me again before I had a chance to react.

Just join a SOS yourself and do it like that. Barioth is really not that difficult in comparison to what awaits you though. :)

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
FUCK Barioth!

You're gonna have to rely more on Foresight Slash to level up your spirit meter because yeah, doing the wombo combo is hard on these IB monsters. Remember to use the 2 iai attacks, both are pretty useful (one for raising meter and other for dealing decent damage).

And yep, there's harder/faster monsters awaiting you, although Barioth gave me a lot of problems compared to other faster monsters, but I think it's because I got used to them.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Just join a SOS yourself and do it like that. Barioth is really not that difficult in comparison to what awaits you though. :)

No monster in vanilla MHW got under my skin like Barioth not even arch tempered elder dragons. I just hope later monsters in iceborne are difficult like then or how Nergigante was, a fight that you could learn and improve with each try. Never got that feeling with Barioth. I just don't like the constant jumping around.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No monster in vanilla MHW got under my skin like Barioth not even arch tempered elder dragons. I just hope later monsters in iceborne are difficult like then or how Nergigante was, a fight that you could learn and improve with each try. Never got that feeling with Barioth. I just don't like the constant jumping around.

Just fuck his legs up. There are way worse monsters and I hope it's just that you were too afraid of that baby. Brute Tigrex would fuck your life up and down a hundred times. Also use the claw. it's magic :) Have you ever fought AT Nergi? That was some bullshit.

You can do it! It's not as bad in the future :)

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
My MH life is now complete.

fcUFQTB.jpg
there are 2 more poogie costumes for iceborne at the least
pretty in pink and fluffy fairy

found them after poogie came to seliana, seems like it's much easier for it to find new items in seliana instead of astera
i've found some room decorations stuff as well

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Lol! I'm already dreading the next monsters thanks guys! :-)

You're gonna have to rely more on Foresight Slash to level up your spirit meter because yeah, doing the wombo combo is hard on these IB monsters. Remember to use the 2 iai attacks, both are pretty useful (one for raising meter and other for dealing decent damage).

And yep, there's harder/faster monsters awaiting you, although Barioth gave me a lot of problems compared to other faster monsters, but I think it's because I got used to them.

This is good advice. i have gotten considerably better with the foresight slash in Iceborne. When I first played the game I kinda looked over it and still managed to go through the game without much problem. I have tried to improve now and I feel like I'm playing much better.

I just didn't find a good way to put it to use in that Barioth fight probably because I was over commiting a lot when I managed to get a chance to attack since constantly running after him pissed me off a lot lol!

And I will try to remember to use the normal iai attack to build meter! Thank you for the tips!

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank God they are not reskins, they lookeded similar to me, I will avoid Barioth like the plague and hope no other monster is as fast as that...he looks like a ping pong ball!

Thanks for the offers guys, I managed to beat him on my own in the end and will log out for the night! If I have trouble again in the future I will PM you both! Cheers!
They're not just reskins, but they're all still speedsters. If you're having trouble keeping up with them, you probably need to Foresight Slash more regularly for building your spirit gauge levels instead of trying to execute the full spirit combo.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Velkhana's fight goes from "how the hell am I supposed bto deal with this" to never getting hit in a few tries. But Barioth is also that kind of fight, it just didn't click for you yet. Most obvious tip is, stop chasing after its head and break his arm/wing first. Makes the chase so much easier.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

This is good advice. i have gotten considerably better with the foresight slash in Iceborne. When I first played the game I kinda looked over it and still managed to go through the game without much problem. I have tried to improve now and I feel like I'm playing much better.

I just didn't find a good way to put it to use in that Barioth fight probably because I was over commiting a lot when I managed to get a chance to attack since constantly running after him pissed me off a lot lol!

And I will try to remember to use the normal iai attack to build meter! Thank you for the tips!

no problem! I feel your pain because I relied to much on the combo too lol (well...and sometimes I still do >_<)

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Just fuck his legs up. There are way worse monsters and I hope it's just that you were too afraid of that baby. Brute Tigrex would fuck your life up and down a hundred times. Also use the claw. it's magic :) Have you ever fought AT Nergi? That was some bullshit.

When he was limping I clawed his face a dozen times and still didn't manage to break it or even wound it. I didn't get the 4 triangle damage numbers. The other monsters only took 2 tries to wound a part.

Also, anyone knows why I can't forge a Barioth sword yet? Even though I just killed one? Not even the parts show up when I look at it.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

I personally thought Barioth to be one of the best monster so far in the expansion...

Use flinch shot, trap, mount, etc to create opening, then focus on one of its wing arm ASAP to break it, it will really gimp its mobility (it will "slip" everytime it jump or leap).

Also you will absolutely "love" Tigrex. Edit : and Shrieking Legiana.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When he was limping I clawed his face a dozen times and still didn't manage to break it or even would it. I didn't get the 4 triangle damage numbers. The other monsters only took 2 tries to wound a part.

What is your equipment? I mean, you use the flinch shot right? It's free damage and you can wreck monsters easily by doing that. When he lies on the ground you can also fuck his legs up more and also one of his wings so he starts tripping every time (and then... it's just an onslaught for you). You should learn to flinch shot or else Tigrex or other monsters will give you way way more problems.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
there are 2 more poogie costumes for iceborne at the least
pretty in pink and fluffy fairy

found them after poogie came to seliana, seems like it's much easier for it to find new items in seliana instead of astera
i've found some room decorations stuff as well

Thanks, it's hunting time!

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
LS in Iceborne is very different from before. In the base game you could play sub-par and still do decent damage. Now you need to weave the new tools that break up your recovery times into everything. It is a glorious dance if you know how to do it. If you don't know how to do it you would be better off using HR ranged weapons naked because you will do literally no damage.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017

LOLOLOLOL this video is killing me! Pepega in portuguese sounds exactly like a nickname for pussy, so everytime the guy said Nergigante pepega slam I was in stiches! I even woke my wife!

I didn't try arch tempered elders in vanilla, I bailed before that. But I could do all elders and tempered as well!

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017

Us, slaughtering animals by the hundreds or even thousands to use their skins and body parts for weapons and armor, "part of the ecosystem", lol.
Actually i think it would be more better if there is a post battle scene like "ANDDDD.... CUT!!!!" and the monsters come back alive and they are all just people pretending to be monsters

banter

Jan 12, 2018

Gotta maintain that balance (most of the time they say you should capture so they can better research the specimen)! 😂🤣

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone else feel like they made it harder to make an "optimal" armor set in master rank? So many pieces with skills I want also have skills completely irrelevant to the build I'm going for tacked on. It felt like the HR armor sets were more focused if that makes sense.
Yeah we were spoiled with HR Drachen sets which just did everything you would want. Endgame Iceborne ends up matching that efficiency though.

Last edited:

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Don't worry, I found Barioth to be really annoying on a level above most other monsters in the game. I've never been a fan of him because he just jumps around constantly. Only redeeming factor is his armor looks fantastic, except they didn't even bring it over into this game... You'll do fine going forward.
Yeah we were spoiled with HR Drachen sets which just did everything you would want. Endgame Iceborne ends up matching that efficiency though.
Yeah, it's pretty close to drachen skill efficiency in the endgame, but most of my sets are still a bit behind drachen. I'm even using drachen arms in like half of my sets at endgame because that piece is so damn broken.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate how a lot of the best set bonuses come from sets with not so great built in skills.

It's like how it was at that the start of the base game's life. You want Master's Touch? You better be OK with having some points in Latent Power and Blast Attack.

What do you mean? That you don't have access to it at all time? You can always search for an SOS with the final boss as the target, you'll just have to deal with randoms that way.
Breaking Shara's head twice is hard enough solo. I can't imagine how tough it is to get tenderplates with a couple players that don't necessarily know what they're doing.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Wow I didn't have too much trouble with Viper Tobi or Barioth but Rathalos f'd me up good yesterday. Twice.
And I want that hammer really bad.
Also I wanted to get through the IB main story in two weeks since I'll be away until mid-November and I only just reached 3 star MR quests. In like 40 hours lol. Damn those optional quests.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta maintain that balance (most of the time they say you should capture so they can better research the specimen)! 😂🤣

Considering the captured monster usually has his/her tail chopped and basically mauled from top to bottom I'm not sure it would be a good research anyways...