• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
LS in Iceborne is very different from before. In the base game you could play sub-par and still do decent damage. Now you need to weave the new tools that break up your recovery times into everything. It is a glorious dance if you know how to do it. If you don't know how to do it you would be better off using HR ranged weapons naked because you will do literally no damage.
I'm not using Iai stuff at all and I'm doing just fine.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Does anyone know the mats for awakening charm 3? I'm guessing the first 2 are from MR Kirin but what about the other 2? I can't find anything online.
Most of the final charm upgrades are materials from the
Guiding Lands
Oh my god how rare are these god damn mantles
They're the MR equivalent of gems, so as rare as those used to be. I wouldn't even bother trying to farm for them without at least a gold box investigation.
Wow I didn't have too much trouble with Viper Tobi or Barioth but Rathalos f'd me up good yesterday. Twice.
And I want that hammer really bad.
Also I wanted to get through the IB main story in two weeks since I'll be away until mid-November and I only just reached 3 star MR quests. In like 40 hours lol. Damn those optional quests.
There are more 3 Star optional than any other rank. Like 3 whole pages of quests.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Do we get anything from doing all of the optionals? Like a better rainbow pigment (not a fan of the one we have now)?

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
Is there a typically recommended HR or recommended stats, etc. for starting the Iceborne content?

A friend and I kicked it off last night, and got through the first couple of expeditions, but had a pretty rough time of it.
I'd only just finished the main MHW story and am still rocking Anjanath armour, but my buddy was kitted out with full end game gear and still struggling.

Sorry if this is known info. We've been huge MH fans since Freedom, but like to go into each iteration on our own, without much outside help. Perhaps due to that we were a bit naive, and surprised by the difficulty spike, particularly how long the first compulsory expeditions took to finish.
wasnt mp scaling was basically either on or off. ie, 2ppl still gets the same mp scaling as for 4ppl. thus 2ppl coop is harder than 3 or 4?
tho theres palico

it was something like that in early mhw beta or something. not sure how mp scaling goes now

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I want to fking shoot myself farming this god forsaken Shara Ishvalda.

Fight takes forever even with a good team and you have to break the head (which is annoying to hit) for the tender plates but they're not even guaranteed, i've gotten more gems than tenderplates thus far which is exactly 2.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
You're gonna have to rely more on Foresight Slash to level up your spirit meter because yeah, doing the wombo combo is hard on these IB monsters. Remember to use the 2 iai attacks, both are pretty useful (one for raising meter and other for dealing decent damage).

And yep, there's harder/faster monsters awaiting you, although Barioth gave me a lot of problems compared to other faster monsters, but I think it's because I got used to them.
what i find odd was that they made u fight barioth first then narga and tigrex. i totally find barioth is the tougher ver of those 3. its like they set you up for a hurdle then its just flat grounds after lol
but then again, ib playthrough i havent used a hammer at all. if i do use it, its probably be easy mode with how impact dmg exhaust monster quick.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to fking shoot myself farming this god forsaken Shara Ishvalda.

Fight takes forever even with a good team and you have to break the head (which is annoying to hit) for the tender plates but they're not even guaranteed, i've gotten more gems than tenderplates thus far which is exactly 2.
Are you saying you have 2 gems? I guess you've only broken the head once?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
what i find odd was that they made u fight barioth first then narga and tigrex. i totally find barioth is the tougher ver of those 3. its like they set you up for a hurdle then its just flat grounds after lol
but then again, ib playthrough i havent used a hammer at all. if i do use it, its probably be easy mode with how impact dmg exhaust monster quick.

I also found Bariot the harder of the bunch but from what I read people tend to have the most problems with Tigrex.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
2p has it's own scaling level now.
And I'm thankful for that. Before, joining an open quest with one player just made it a lot longer if no third or fourth hunters joined. It kind of felt bad and made you reluctant to join an ongoing open quest.
The consequence was people on full public sessions limiting quests to a single player (why be in a public session at that point?) and I remember being booted from a quest as soon as I joined even if my equipment was more than enough, probably because that person forgot to limit the number of hunters to one. Joke's on them because kicking me didn't lower the increased difficulty and the player had no way of knowing if I'd be the kind of random to ruin his hunt by carting thrice.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
LS in Iceborne is very different from before. In the base game you could play sub-par and still do decent damage. Now you need to weave the new tools that break up your recovery times into everything. It is a glorious dance if you know how to do it. If you don't know how to do it you would be better off using HR ranged weapons naked because you will do literally no damage.

The only way you do no damage with LS is if you never hit the monster lol. Iai slash and Iai spirit slash are actually really good for decreasing recovery time not really sure what you're talking about there. Example being usually after the spirit slash combo you're character gets does that resheathe animation that leaves you exposed, you can hit R2+X (iai stance) to immediately cancel that nonsense.

Then you can immediately hit triangle to do a iai slash that fills your meter. I tell most people don't bother with spirit slash because it's better used as a counter than as an offensive move (using it as a counter it does slightly more damage and it doesn't consume your spirit gauge)

LS like pretty much every other melee weapon in the game shines if the player take the time to figure out how it works past spamming triangle or circle and hoping for the best, it's toolkit is pretty accessible if you're willing to learn.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Sometimes I wonder what caused the localization team of MH to give two monsters who look nothing alike and who were introduced on the same game basically the same name save for one letter.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Tailriders is so fucking amazing. Fuck the Ancient Forest when hunting Rathalos lol

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
wasnt mp scaling was basically either on or off. ie, 2ppl still gets the same mp scaling as for 4ppl. thus 2ppl coop is harder than 3 or 4?
tho theres palico

it was something like that in early mhw beta or something. not sure how mp scaling goes now

Scaling is supposed to be changed, so 2-player has less health than 4-player. But I can't find out what the scaling factors are. I think that the more players there are the faster the hunt will be.

SOS is definitely your friend for ticking off the optional quests. I think 4-player hunts are still 2.2x or 2.4x the monster health, with 4 players they go down much faster. I usually check the SOS board for any "speech-bubble" quests, then check the investigations for any monster parts I want, then return to optionals for any I haven't completed.
I generally don't SOS into assignments, since the rewards are poor, you are likely to be with a player who doesn't know the fight and frankly - players should be able to beat the assignments by themselves. If they can't handle a main quest, then carrying them will just mean they get the next level of quests that are even harder for them to complete. Though I'll help people with an assignment if they're on voice chat where I can actually help and advise, rather than just carrying them.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
totally, i never bothered with them.
They should still try to rework them for the next MH. They work even if you have aggro and need no friendship levels, you cannot consume items or sharpen but they would allow for faster verticality when a wyvern flies to an area just above or just below. Just like that they become useful for certain situations where the tailraiders seem cumbersome.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
The only way you do no damage with LS is if you never hit the monster lol. Iai slash and Iai spirit slash are actually really good for decreasing recovery time not really sure what you're talking about there. Example being usually after the spirit slash combo you're character gets does that resheathe animation that leaves you exposed, you can hit R2+X (iai stance) to immediately cancel that nonsense.

Then you can immediately hit triangle to do a iai slash that fills your meter. I tell most people don't bother with spirit slash because it's better used as a counter than as an offensive move (using it as a counter it does slightly more damage and it doesn't consume your spirit gauge)

LS like pretty much every other melee weapon in the game shines if the player take the time to figure out how it works past spamming triangle or circle and hoping for the best, it's toolkit is pretty accessible if you're willing to learn.
i use it cause it's flashy :P

Last edited:

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
Are you saying you have 2 gems? I guess you've only broken the head once?
As far as i know just breaking the head is the requirement for a chance to get a gem like with all the other monsters.

And yes, i get atleast 1 head break per fight and am aware you can get 2 but it's proving diffcult to break more than once even while im using hammer + partbreaker

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Is there another round of arena quests that are opened by capturing a monster? In the base game it was really frustrating not knowing which monsters I'd fought in an arena since the quests fall off the list if you haven't caught one since beating it. Going through on PC I opted to just not do the arena quests until I'd caught one of everything.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Finding good female helms/armor is near impossible. Might finally switch to a male just to have good looking armor.

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any special or crossover layered armor you can get currently or do I have to wait for a festival? Trying to cover up the Teostra B helm and nothing looks good.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Are there any special or crossover layered armor you can get currently or do I have to wait for a festival? Trying to cover up the Teostra B helm and nothing looks good.
The ones you can get right now are what you get from Kulve, the AT elder dragons available right now and the glasses that are available in MR (I don't remember what gives the materials for glasses because I could craft them right away).

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
The ones you can get right now are what you get from Kulve, the AT elder dragons available right now and the glasses that are available in MR (I don't remember what gives the materials for glasses because I could craft them right away).

There's also the Hot Springs layered that you can get from an optional quest (the one that has you delivering two hot springs stones).

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
For the AT elder dragon ones, do I simply hunt them or is there a specific quest?

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
They are even quests. The ones where the dragons appear as an orange glowing icon. If you haven't done them, they are among the hardest HR content. Tackling them with MR equipment will lower their difficulty.
Great, thank you. I'll probably try and give AT Vaal Hazak a go and see if I can get its layered armor.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
As far as i know just breaking the head is the requirement for a chance to get a gem like with all the other monsters.

And yes, i get atleast 1 head break per fight and am aware you can get 2 but it's proving diffcult to break more than once even while im using hammer + partbreaker
If you do the second break, a piece falls off whoch you can carve teice. The ONLY things you can carve from it are gems and tenderplates.