• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
wow the fact that level 6 guiding lands monster never show their mugs combined with the threat of your areas deleveling if you do anything at all is extremely good and by extremely good I mean *vomits blood*

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
wow the fact that level 6 guiding lands monster never show their mugs combined with the threat of your areas deleveling if you do anything at all is extremely good and by extremely good I mean *vomits blood*
And they removed the best workaround to this happening too. Now the best you can do is cycle via expeditions, which if you don't have an SSD I feel bad for you.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So I leveled the forest area to level 4 in the Guiding Lands and looks like it's capped there. How long until the cap is raised?
You need to keep increasing your MR and eventually you'll get a quest in town to do a new assigned quest.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

A lot of the Guiding Lands materials can be traded at the melder for other ones from different monsters so I found it's worth while to hunt everything anyway. Also, if you're looking for specifics you can search via guiding lands sos. Even if you don't see what you want, you can see other people's Guiding Lands ranks and hop in when you see there's a fresh one made at the ranked area you want. I didn't have a single problem with the structure at all and honestly really enjoyed it. If you're looking for something really specific maybe era can help you too.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
MORE LIKE GRINDING LANDS AMIRITE

jk, I haven't put in much time yet. Only now leveling up one zone is actually de-leveling another one, and it seems to be just a minimal amount. Does the de-leveling get progressively worse?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
MORE LIKE GRINDING LANDS AMIRITE

jk, I haven't put in much time yet. Only now leveling up one zone is actually de-leveling another one, and it seems to be just a minimal amount. Does the de-leveling get progressively worse?

I think you can lock in zones when you max them out though

So the idea is to max them out one at a time?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I don't fucking understand this GL leveling. Two fucking elder dragons and I get 1/20th of the bar each?! Are you shitting me?

Forest and Wildspire rank 5 where NO where near this bad. This is awful

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't fucking understand this GL leveling. Two fucking elder dragons and I get 1/20th of the bar each?! Are you shitting me?

Forest and Wildspire rank 5 where NO where near this bad. This is awful
Collecting tracks is better than actually fighting stuff.

I think you can lock in zones when you max them out though

So the idea is to max them out one at a time?
You can't. And the deleveling gets really bad when you're dealing with level 6 and 7 zones.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn. ps4. That cross play future can't get here soon enough.
For real. Loved it in Dauntless, but that game doesn't really compare in the long run.
I just finished this fight myself earlier this evening, using the lance. On one hand it's definitely tough because it feels like it's hard to get opportunities to really pour on damage, but getting enough guard-related skill means you also can get away with not having to worry too hard about a lot of Velk's nonsense either. You can guard through the floor-icicle attacks and having the Uragaan armor Guard Boost bonus means you can block the ice breath stuff too, of course along with all the tail-stabs as well.

The big problems are:
1. That circular "ice pool" thing it can occasionally do that is unblockable as far as I can tell, and basically guarantees a free hit on you
2. On the occasions where you do take a hit, having a good opportunity to sheathe and recover suddenly becomes that much tougher

I took in my Glavenus lance in hopes that the fire damage would help out, and wound up clearing the fight with a little over 4 minutes to spare. From the fight I wound up in after that, it feels like Velkhanna signifies another spot of the game where monster HP pools jump up another tier? Acidic Glavenus and Ebony Odo definitely didn't feel like they stood up to the same amount of beating that Velkhanna and what comes after it do.
Thanks for the advice--I forgot about the Uragaan bonus. Got 2 pieces and was able to tank all of its attacks.

So that made it easy for me to not worry about carting myself, but it still took 3 more tries until I found a group that nailed it.

It wasn't the hardest fight I've had in MHW, but it is easily the LONGEST it's taken to clear a boss for me (and group). So easy to get wiped by those ice blasts. Probably attempted it 20 times, if not more, before clearing it today.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Here's my endgame support set if anyones interested.

EFLoBPHUcAARMUz

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't help that you don't get optional quests for them either.

If you're unlucky with investigations and already did the arena quest then you're kinda shit outta luck.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Collecting tracks is better than actually fighting stuff.

You can't. And the deleveling gets really bad when you're dealing with level 6 and 7 zones.
But it's not consistent. I collected tracks for level 3, but then during level 4 the bar didn't move at all after 15 minutes of tracks. It just doesn't make sense

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
But it's not consistent. I collected tracks for level 3, but then during level 4 the bar didn't move at all after 15 minutes of tracks. It just doesn't make sense
None of the leveling makes sense. I read other people claiming collecting tracks was faster too but in my experience hunting levels the bars dramatically faster.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
A pukei pukei should not level the bar 3 times more than a velkhana. At this point, I'm never going to even see brute tigrex because this hunt for silver Los has broken me
If you need specifics I strongly recommend jumping into SOS in other people's lands. I have all my gear maxed and all materials I needed for weapon augments relatively quickly by doing so. I personally maxed Forest and Wildspire and ignored leveling the other two. It sounds like you're the opposite and need Coral and Rotten for Silver Los and Brute Tigrex. Once you encounter and cap them in other people's lands you can get arena quests for them too. So you really don't need to sweat it in regards to leveling your own Guiding Lands.

My personal method was hopping into a Guiding Lands where everyone was hunting in the zones I desire, killing a few things, going back to town. I'd see if my Guiding Lands had a rare elder or what have you, and if it did I'd start one of my own and SOS, put in the info that I was going for that specific hunt, and people would be there in seconds. If my Guiding Lands didn't have something special I'd just pop into someone else's. Rinse and repeat. It all worked like a charm.

NotSelf

Oct 26, 2017
Finally made it to MR 99 what a slog it was beat ruiner nergigante on the first try definitely having good players helped.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
this shit is pissing me off.

In the Guiding Lands mining and bone picking plus the odd monster loot. You will come to a point where you are foraging and you cannot pick anymore items up and I guess you have to return to your handler to report your findings and then can to continue to forage and mine so I return to the bone pile only to find out that it's no longer there.

This is really tiresome especially when you are foraging for bones in the forest area where they seem to be the most concealed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping with the new consoles having a SSD built in that with the next Mon Hun or BC Mon Hun that we get back those really quick loading times as a base experience.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
this shit is pissing me off.

In the Guiding Lands mining and bone picking plus the odd monster loot. You will come to a point where you are foraging and you cannot pick anymore items up and I guess you have to return to your handler to report your findings and then can to continue to forage and mine so I return to the bone pile only to find out that it's no longer there.

This is really tiresome especially when you are foraging for bones in the forest area where they seem to be the most concealed

What? Those go straight to the box. The only thing plugging your inventory are plants or bugs. Nothing should be stopping you from just doing collecting circuits of those.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
A lot of the Guiding Lands materials can be traded at the melder for other ones from different monsters so I found it's worth while to hunt everything anyway. Also, if you're looking for specifics you can search via guiding lands sos. Even if you don't see what you want, you can see other people's Guiding Lands ranks and hop in when you see there's a fresh one made at the ranked area you want. I didn't have a single problem with the structure at all and honestly really enjoyed it. If you're looking for something really specific maybe era can help you too.
Blidly hoping into other folks worlds after sitting through a five minute loading screen and hoping they have the monster you want isn't a solution, it's just marginally better than watching your hunter collect dust in your own GL

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
What? Those go straight to the box. The only thing plugging your inventory are plants or bugs. Nothing should be stopping you from just doing collecting circuits of those.

forgot to mention cat had plunder blade and used it on: Golden Rathalos/Lunastra/Tempered Tigrex/Tempered Black Diablos/Tempered Ebony Odogaron so I had parts for all of those and I should have turned them in before foraging for bones and mining..

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Blidly hoping into other folks worlds after sitting through a five minute loading screen and hoping they have the monster you want isn't a solution, it's just marginally better than watching your hunter collect dust in your own GL
You can change the settings and look for specific monsters. Also the guiding lands parts can be traded for other guiding lands parts so hunting anything is worth while. On top of every thing else you need to grind your MR rank regardless so you're not wasting your time hunting.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
You can change the settings and look for specific monsters. Also the guiding lands parts can be traded for other guiding lands parts so hunting anything is worth while. On top of every thing else you need to grind your MR rank regardless so you're not wasting your time hunting.
I'm looking for the hidden monsters at the moment, which I can't search yet because they haven't shown up yet

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm looking the hidden monsters at the moment, which I can't search yet because they haven't shown up yet
Have you roamed around long enough in any of the zones? Just be patient. Kill anything and everything because you need that MR rank to even progress. They'll show up eventually.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Have you roamed around long enough in any of the zones? Just be patient. Kill anything and everything because you need that MR rank to even progress. They'll show up eventually.
Yeah, like I figure I'd work on the wildspire since I got coral to 6, but that just tanks my coral level. So I'm left to assume they want you to either sit there and wait or just continually hunt monsters in the coral region, which is going to be a drag

Like why is the deleveling even a thing other than to drive players bananas

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah, like I figure I'd work on the wildspire since I got coral to 6, but that just tanks my coral level. So I'm left to assume they want you to either sit there and wait or just continually hunt monsters in the coral region, which is going to be a drag

Like why is the deleveling even a thing other than to drive players bananas
I really dislike the de-leveling also. I suppose the devs went that direction to force us to play in the community and utilize eachothers Guiding Lands. Take it or leave it this is the Iceborne end game grind. At least till you're done with that, then it's back to threat level 3 investigations in search for that perfect decoration set up.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PSA Get a SSD if you can. Just put one on a USB 3.0 adapter I had lying around and put the game on the external device. Loading times are bearable now. It's great and feels like a new game lol

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike the de-leveling also. I suppose the devs went that direction to force us to play in the community and utilize eachothers Guiding Lands. Take it or leave it this is the Iceborne end game grind. At least till you're done with that, then it's back to threat level 3 investigations in search for that perfect decoration set up.
The thing is they messed that up. Like seriously,, it's almost impossible to find an expedition that has the exact monster(s) you need to fight available.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm driving myself insane trying to find the rare endemic life Wintermoon Nettle.

It's at the peak of Hoarfrost. It only spawns at night, with a clear sky, no Velkhana on the map, and when the moon slugs are out. I think you can see it from area 14 by looking up but apparently it flies in from off screen so idk. Getting up there sucks ass, and it can despawn if the sun starts rising.

I dunno why I'm doing this the loading screens are so bad. At least I'm making progress in astral chain on my switch

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
PSA Get a SSD if you can. Just put one on a USB 3.0 adapter I had lying around and put the game on the external device. Loading times are bearable now. It's great and feels like a new game lol
I really need to get on this.
It's a game changer. Got one a few days ago and the difference is even bigger than I thought. I barely have enough time to eat and select my item load-out before a hunt is finished pre-loading, and the time to load the area afterwards is like 10 seconds or so. It used to be 45 - 60 seconds...

Returning from a hunt also takes about 15 seconds or so, even to Astera. Compare that to the 60 - 70 seconds it used to take.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The thing is they messed that up. Like seriously,, it's almost impossible to find an expedition that has the exact monster(s) you need to fight available.
Maybe we as an era community can help eachother out when looking for specifics. I know there's a discord somewhere but I'm reluctant to use it because I just dislike discord lol

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's a game changer. Got one a few days ago and the difference is even bigger than I thought. I barely have enough time to eat and select my item load-out before a hunt is finished pre-loading, and the time to load the area afterwards is like 10 seconds or so. It used to be 45 - 60 seconds...

Returning from a hunt also takes about 15 seconds or so, even to Astera. Compare that to the 60 - 70 seconds it used to take.
That's pretty damn impressive.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm driving myself insane trying to find the rare endemic life Wintermoon Nettle.

It's at the peak of Hoarfrost. It only spawns at night, with a clear sky, no Velkhana on the map, and when the moon slugs are out. I think you can see it from area 14 by looking up but apparently it flies in from off screen so idk. Getting up there sucks ass, and it can despawn if the sun starts rising.

I dunno why I'm doing this the loading screens are so bad. At least I'm making progress in astral chain on my switch
I feel your pain. I am still trying to catch more of those rare birds that live on the backs of Aptonoth and Apceros. I already have three, but you can deploy 5 at the same time in your house so I just need two more of them. If I start an expedition in AF or WW I make sure it's at night, but they never spawn. Until today when I was hunting a Diablos and I ran past some Apceros... and heard those damn birds scoot off as I did.

Speaking of Hoarfrost: there is this ridge in one of the northernmost sub-areas, but it seems impossible to actually get there. It's in area 14, on the southern edge, and has a drop-off point that leads to the big "ice hall" with the three geysers (where Barioth like to hang out):

Does anyone know how to get up there?

Oct 25, 2017
I feel your pain. I am still trying to catch more of those rare birds that live on the backs of Aptonoth and Apceros. I already have three, but you can deploy 5 at the same time in your house so I just need two more of them. If I start an expedition in AF or WW I make sure it's at night, but they never spawn. Until today when I was hunting a Diablos and I ran past some Apceros... and heard those damn birds scoot off as I did.

Speaking of Hoarfrost: there is this ridge in one of the northernmost sub-areas, but it seems impossible to actually get there. It's in area 14, on the southern edge, and has a drop-off point that leads to the big "ice hall" with the three geysers (where Barioth like to hang out):

Does anyone know how to get up there?

That's the peak. There are wedge beetles in cave of 13. I think theres 4 you do, then Get up onto a surface, then there should be a wall you can run up and then bounce to the other side then maneuver your way to the ice wall you can climb, which is very hard to do because its finicky.

The rest is simple. At the very top is where the wintermoon nettle spawns, and at the level before the top theres a secret that points towards a possible new monster variant. Not brand new, but not in world. If you look closely you should be able to tell what it is

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Guiding lands unlock system sucks. I've wasted almost 8 hours at level 6 coral and still no monster unlock. ??? Monster tracks/signs of a turf war seemed to have stopped spawning entirely. This artificial wall is infuriating and needs patching ASAP.

banter

Jan 12, 2018

It's awful isn't it. I was so happy when mine showed up. So a little "hint", if you get to the lower part of the summit (just before the Kushala husk) and you see a pack of moon slugs, that's a good sign. 50% chance it'll spawn when they're there. Moon slugs are always there when the Nettle is there, but just because Moon Slugs are there doesn't mean the Nettle will be there. I had 1 go where the slugs were there and the Nettle was not, the next time the slugs were there the Nettle was there.

Oct 25, 2017
It's awful isn't it. I was so happy when mine showed up. So a little "hint", if you get to the lower part of the summit (just before the Kushala husk) and you see a pack of moon slugs, that's a good sign. 50% chance it'll spawn when they're there. Moon slugs are always there when the Nettle is there, but just because Moon Slugs are there doesn't mean the Nettle will be there. I had 1 go where the slugs were there and the Nettle was not, the next time the slugs were there the Nettle was there.

Do you know if you can see the slugs with the camera from below or are they too small to load in properly