• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
Sorry if is already asked, but Digital Foundry invistigate on Iceborn ?

The MT Framework engine is upgraded. MHW: Iceborn is more stable (still few drops, but short), the reconstruction 1080p is much cleaner, the game is a bit sharper than MHW. Lightning effect is enhanced... all this on base PS4. Bravo Capcom.
But counterpart for this I notice the popup object more agressive.

I'm curious for the PS4 Pro / One X versions.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if is already asked, but Digital Foundry invistigate on Iceborn ?

The MT Framework engine is upgraded. MHW: Iceborn is more stable (still few drops, but short), the reconstruction 1080p is much cleaner, the game is a bit sharper than MHW. Lightning effect is enhanced... all this on base PS4. Bravo Capcom.
But counterpart for this I notice the popup object more agressive.

I'm curious for the PS4 Pro / One X versions.

only thing I dislike about the one X versions is the framerate chugs when players join as their data is loading it becomes a slideshow. After all players are loaded in its fine apart from the few drops here and there. Iceborne still has this issue.

Characters moving around feel a bit more tighter whereas in the vanilla it feels just a slight sluggish. I mostly play with framerate mode.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Viper Tobi on my first try yesterday and it felt pretty good.
From impressions I've read I was pretty sure he'd wreck me, because I had nothing but 5 herbal medicines on me, which I went through in the first encounter until he first ran away. Back to camp, stocked up on antidotes, Immunity Mantle and Cleanser Booster, went back and killed him pretty fast. Found no need to respec my build otherwise.

Switch Axe PSA: Anyone having trouble with him, craft the Rank 9 Jagras Switch Axe Sabre's Bite with the Exhaustion Phial. Tobi can't poison you when half the time he stares at a wall, drooling while getting his ass kicked and doing nothing. It's such a great weapon (again, just like the Jagras Raider 3 in vanilla World).

On the "long" hunts in MR, where people comlpain taking longer than 10 minutes for a hunt: I don't think that the hunts are taking longer - to me they feel just as long as the ones back in LR and HR when I first made my way through these difficulties. I think people have warped sense of how long a hunt is supposed to take during progression, because they grinded them with maxed gear and ideal skills hundreds of times in the last 18 months.

Last edited:

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Still using HR gear, just beat coral pukei, and beat every monster so far no faints. Beat diablos on an expedition with 2 carts, and apart from the monsters taking 15 minutes to kill, I'm not really feeling the difficulty yet.

There's a lot of cool looking armor but it's not better than my HR set skill wise, I wish they'd let every armor be layerable.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Lance users, what's a good MR set to go for? Me and my brother are up to 4* MR quests and haven't had too much problem in HR gear (kulve/teo max def) but figure I should upgrade at this point. I'm even still using my Odogaron lance.
I like the full banbaro armour for an early set. Offensive guard is cool, and resentment is nice because of how much chip damage power guard gives. Other than that the health boost is there if you need it and it has enough slots for tenderizer and some crit power up

Edit: nvm I didn't notice how far you were lol

A session with ERA users

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Join the session of an Era squad with players from all over the world who play at various times of the day.
The session welcomes all Era hunters, no matter the rank. The latest ID, which I refresh every time I'm online in case it has changed, is the following:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Don't hesitate to post your desired quests in the gathering hub and, rank permitting, we'll join you.
Mics are encouraged, specially if you want to coordinate strategies like sleep bombing or need healing mid-quest.
Help requests for specific quests posted in this thread can be fulfilled as long as an adequate time-frame is provided in advance. UTC formatting is preferred.

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Barioth first try, took me 35 mins with the new Kadachi LS. I'll try a new LBG on him next time

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
So, I spent most of last night doing MR1 hunts to gear up a bit before moving forward. It was really fun to just smash up some of the older monster with people for a while:

:)
Got a completely new MR set (minus gloves) and bow while keeping my skills mostly intact with maxed out attack boost, nearly maxed defence and my other key intact.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
If you time the iai with a monster attack you don't even lose spirit gauge!

I actually thought I timed it right in the gif when I recorded it but it seems the timing is a bit more strict than I anticipated. Still, when you do pull it off and keep the spirit gauge you just feel like a (and I know this is corny but) master samurai.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
XeOlT5E.gif

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woooo World story done after 51 hunts, I did some minor farming for my tobi kadachi sword, Iceborn here I come (at level 15 lol should be fun)

I guess it's time for the iceproof mantle huh

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Question about the Steamworks: Is it worth engaging with it? Does it give items I wouldn't get otherwise? I don't understand the point atm...

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Anyone else using the Narga LBG? Any recommendations for bowgun mods for it, or recommendations for good Iceborne LBGs?
I'd like to know this too. My LBG has always been the Karma. Great affinity and no deviation. But I'd like to know what a good end game LBG build would be. I don't want to wastes mats on stuff I'm not going to use.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Any LS users out there test and see if quick sheath effects the speed of the iai stance at all?

Which LS should I go for first? I have Divine Slasher rn.

If you need something quick to up your damage output, then the hornetuar LS tree (Abyss Piercer I & II) takes no time at all to get as long as you dont mind farming the bugs for it.

-Has a hidden element so it works with elementless boost which you should already have if your using Divine Slasher

-Purple Sharpness

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Motherfucker I just timed out on Nightshade Paolumu after timing out against Venom Tobi last night. I've gotten armored and charmed up to the point where these fights aren't brutally hard, I just don't have the DPS needed to end them in time

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Any LS users out there test and see if quick sheath effects the speed of the iai stance at all?

If you need something quick to up your damage output, then the hornetuar LS tree (Abyss Piercer I & II) takes no time at all to get as long as you dont mind farming the bugs for it.

-Has a hidden element so it works with elementless boost which you should already have if your using Divine Slasher

-Purple Sharpness
Quick sheath works with special sheath.

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
Question about the Steamworks: Is it worth engaging with it? Does it give items I wouldn't get otherwise? I don't understand the point atm...
I'd say it's worth it. There is a natural steam meter that builds up just as you play the game and when it says that it's full, go over and do the little mini game. Don't worry about dumping any of your materials into it if you don't want to besides dravanian coal.

You'll get a shit ton of free items like Max potions and dusts of life as well as Celestial Tickets if you manage to fill the steam all the way during the game. You can trade those tickets in for mantles and other master rank rares.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Fuck me, I have to grind Glavenus for that insect glaive. It's way too cool to pass up despite Fire still not being a fantastic element (so far).

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shara Ishvalda is another slog of a final boss. Big giant thing with a ton of HP and slow-moving attacks that will kill you instantly if you slip up but with the added bonus of quicksand all over the god damn arena for some reason.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I just had a player spam the hell out of a KILL DONT CAP FOR RARE MAT emote during a hunt

I'm assuming they meant mantles. Are they not in the cap rewards ? Are we going back to that bullshit? God I hope not. I have enough scars from all the silver Los I had to kill and not cap back in the trip g days

I felt bad as a Japanese player obviously didn't understand and capped it anyway

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, I think of Brachy as a glass cannon style monster in previous games like Tigrex where they aren't quite as durable health-wise but make up for that in relentless pursuit.

Here it took me until the last 5 mins, with capturing solo.
Granted I was having trouble getting in (he sure leaves wider goop pools now), also sturdy legs, dude doesn't fall over!

I keep forgetting clutch claw and between the more erratic movement of this guy and barioth compared to last gen, I guess I should be using it more to close gaps?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a player spam the hell out of a KILL DONT CAP FOR RARE MAT emote during a hunt

I'm assuming they meant mantles. Are they not in the cap rewards ? Are we going back to that bullshit? God I hope not. I have enough scars from all the silver Los I had to kill and not cap back in the trip g days

I felt bad as a Japanese player obviously didn't understand and capped it anyway
I 100% got a mantle from a capture, so if whatever they were saying is true, it doesn't apply to every monster.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Jobbed so damn hard to Tigrex for the first cart that I just opted to return to base, the absolute shame.

All of a sudden I'm having a lot of trouble with the big boys despite having games dating back to the PSP under my belt.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I 100% got a mantle from a capture, so if whatever they were saying is true, it doesn't apply to every monster.

I assumed the person used MAT as a short form of "Material". But you're both talking about mantles? New mantles can drop and they aren't strictly quest rewards anymore?

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
Any reason to complete optional sidequests that don't have a particular reward? I know the base game required you to for some high level missions.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the rarity 9 Iron Ore upgrade in Master Rank. Its surprisingly cheap and you get it very early on. I highly recommend getting it before getting the new Jagras Master GS.

Cheers, interesting. I farmed Jagras a few times the other day so should have the mats. I'll compare and see

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
There's so many optional quests in Iceborne that it feels like I'm starting a new character.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So have we figured out an optimal way to incorporate the Clutch Claw into our play? Because right now it feels like we should be gunning for constant wall slams whenever the resources/monster state allows (Which is made painless with Exhaust weapons, huzzah Jargas SA), but I don't know how much we ought to be pursuing applying weaken debuffs into our play and if that changes on a weapon-by-weapon basis

With a hammer, it's really easy to work a level 3 neutral charge attack->clutch->weaken, but I can't tell if it's a serious DPS gain because I'm getting more opportunities to extend these combos and sneak in part damage. So sometimes I'll end up with an entirely scarred up monster because it's so painless and with other targets around, monsters sure like to scramble. But with a Great Sword, it feels too cumbersome and slow just to apply the debuff to the places I'm trying to work. It's starting to drive me a little nuts.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
LOL, I don't know who hoofay is but if you had posted an open quest for 4 players instead of limited to 1 I would have joined you when I went out of the Smithy.
Friendly reminder that, with the new scaling, a player joining your quest and only being two hunters no longer destroys your group's damage output.
It's a shame that being in a menu blocks notifications of players entering the hub or posting missions.

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
Iceborne seems to have broken my Witcher collaboration event. The cats that supposedly progress the event are not in Astera anymore. Maybe they come back after progressing further but I'm kinda worried about it. They were there before starting Iceborne, with a blue marker, now they're gone. Hopefully my save is not ruined. I'm on PS4 btw, just went back to Astera after killing the poisonous Tobi Kadachi.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Iceborne seems to have broken my Witcher collaboration event. The cats that supposedly progress the event are not in Astera anymore. Maybe they come back after progressing further but I'm kinda worried about it. They were there before starting Iceborne, with a blue marker, now they're gone. Hopefully my save is not ruined. I'm on PS4 btw, just went back to Astera after killing the poisonous Tobi Kadachi.
That blue exclamation marker never left my Astera. I'm still walking past and ignoring those cats daily.