• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a soft cap for elements?

Like I know you can hit an actual cap for some weapons with how high their element can go but is there a point where the element increase isn't worth it?

I have the Hoarcry Rimespire, it's the second Legiana SnS and with Ice Attack at 6 it's 308 base with 640 ice... Is there any reason to actually get that ice all the way that high? Does it actually make a difference?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a soft cap for elements?

Like I know you can hit an actual cap for some weapons with how high their element can go but is there a point where the element increase isn't worth it?

I have the Hoarcry Rimespire, it's the second Legiana SnS and with Ice Attack at 6 it's 308 base with 640 ice... Is there any reason top actually get that ice all the way that high? Does it actually make a difference?

I think there was but its gone now. Not sure though.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
There's no cap that anyone has hit that I can tell. Do be wary about points 4-6 as they actually give less than 1-3 per point depending on the weapon since the percentage is taken from the base value. Either 3 or 6 seem to be the most efficient to slot for. It obviously all depends though.

banter

Jan 12, 2018

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Gear is a lot more interesting this time around. So many of the good sets have a forced utility/defensive skill and it makes "optimal" a lot more gray.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man, so annoying how a lot of weapons require Felwings which you often only get like... 1 per run if even that.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I got an amazing one for Azure Rathlos but only 20 mins... If this was HR that would be easy but I've been finding a lot of MR fights go 20 min plus.

Yeah it's still early and we don't have OP weapons yet. The Elder Dragon SOS that I've been joining run about 20-25 min(Teostra was like 10). I'm sure it's possible to dump on Azure Rath quicker than that. I'd be down to give it a go with you.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's still early and we don't have OP weapons yet. The Elder Dragon SOS that I've been joining run about 20-25 min(Teostra was like 10). I'm sure it's possible to dump on Azure Rath quicker than that. I'd be down to give it a go with you.

I'm on PS4 and the East Coast so if we could find the right time, I'd appreciate it.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Hmmm is it me or the way they implement clutch claw into mhw is pretty weird? The weapon just appears out of nowhere without no one in the game talking about it. They should add a tiny story about it like how the hunter ends up with that claw

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I'm on PS4 and the East Coast so if we could find the right time, I'd appreciate it.

I'm PS4 and West Coast. I'm usually home from work around 2pm PST and am available until close to midnight here.

Down to 3 Dash Juice. Lots of Diablos/Black in my future. Yuck.

Teostra got a few new scary moves, they're very telegraphed though. It's making me worried for Lunastra though if he does this much more damage.

Last edited:

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
who said still using high rank set on the master rank stuff?
went into the barioth story quest and got a reality check on my hr set. hit me about 125hp D;
tho I still beat it with just one cart but I gotta play safe O:

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Well that sucks. I play together with my buddies and one of them is the one that posted the quest for the final battle and in the in-between cutscene it shows his hunter instead of mine.

Kinda kills the mood and atmosphere for me to be honest. Can't believe they let slip something so stupid like that.

Oct 27, 2017
So how long is the base story mode? I'm breezing through it for the first time. Great game!

EDIT: I looked it up. Meaty!

Last edited:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm is it me or the way they implement clutch claw into mhw is pretty weird? The weapon just appears out of nowhere without no one in the game talking about it. They should add a tiny story about it like how the hunter ends up with that claw

There is some explanation in loading screen text. Something along how the Commission keep working on it's technology and Clutch Claw is the latest innovation.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I was debating it, but I don't have enough slots to make it work. I may not need then when I get max Constitution/Stamina Surge.

Haha as a Bow user I never leave home without mushroomancer 3. That dash juice effect is so beneficial and Devil's Blight can be cultivated, it's so convenient.

Plus now with the 75% free meal from Tigrex armor, you can basically have Mandragora for daysssssssssssss.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is MR Black Diablos hidden behind the post game area or am I just unlucky with spawn rates in the Wildspire Wastes? I need so many horns from her -_-
There's an optional quest to fight one once you have access to MR 4 Star quests. But yeah it sounds like bad luck, I can't hunt a regular Diablo without those two fighting it out.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I think im already done with guardian set? How long does it last into the iceborn? Any recommended set or combination for my next armor?

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if I'm working on the nargacuga insect glaive and 3 of the armor because it is good for where I am (literally just unlocked Nargacuga in the story) or because I just really like Nargacuga.

That purple sharpness mixed with the Narga skill that greatly reduces sharpness loss just sounds so good. Just need one more cutwing for the last insect glaive form with purple sharpness!

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
So for the hunt for elder dragons part, can i just go into low rank expeditions and just try and farm it there?

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Beat the game today. Ended up actually failing three missions along the way: Velkhana, Namielle and the final boss. Ran out of time on the second one (my own fault for taking too long to find him at the beginning and getting side-tracked). Triple carted against the other two which I guess is appropriate since they're technically both "final" bosses. I've really loved everything so far (except for certain weapon designs).

Loved the final boss too! Really interesting battle and design. Heading into the post-game after I complete all the five-MR-star and under optional quests. And I guess all of the optional expedition stuff they added with this update. Treasure hunting is surprisingly fun considering all of the rewards are crap. I usually get better stuff from Pawswaps.

Tigrex's set bonus is broken. I've hardly played S+S but decided to make a support build when I saw that set bonus and it's insane. I must have used at least 30 mega potions SOSing into an acidic glavenus quest but it only actually took 5.

98d2698b-c6ff-43b3-a0c8-efb64e339881.PNG

It's seriously insane. I had to avoid using it in single player because it was making me lazy about dodging anything. Reserve it for multiplayer support with my HH and it's stupid how I can carry teams that have no business in certain fights. One time I just healed two hunters constantly as they took on a MR Black Diablo and chugged what seemed like 100 mega potions while they would get repeatedly blasted. Still ended the battle with two left.

It should be 50% at maximum or even lower. 75% chance is ridiculous.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
So for the hunt for elder dragons part, can i just go into low rank expeditions and just try and farm it there?

You can pick up the tracks in about 10 minutes also. The first one go to Rotten Vale and start at the beginning and run all the way down to Vaal Hazzak's lair. If you pick up all the tracks you'll get it done.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I think im already done with guardian set? How long does it last into the iceborn? Any recommended set or combination for my next armor?

Just hunt some early M.Rank monsters (like G.Jagras) and craft their armor sets. Their base DEF completely outclass fully upgraded High Rank sets (we are talking about 116 DEF per piece).

G.Jagras and Kulu sets have some decent offensive skills (Attack Boost, Critical Eye and Critical Boost).

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Just hunt some early M.Rank monsters (like G.Jagras) and craft their armor sets. Their base DEF completely outclass fully upgraded High Rank sets (we are talking about 116 DEF per piece).

G.Jagras and Kulu sets have some decent offensive skills (Attack Boost, Critical Eye and Critical Boost).
Thank. I'll take note. Also, i think i also need fire resistance armor, i always find myself overwhelmed by fire monsters like bazelguese and teostra

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
You can pick up the tracks in about 10 minutes also. The first one go to Rotten Vale and start at the beginning and run all the way down to Vaal Hazzak's lair. If you pick up all the tracks you'll get it done.
Tyvm, i just got bodied by a teostra so i'm not to keen on fighting the elders so knocking this out with messing with em sounds much better

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
So I haven't played any of the earlier monster hunters enough to fight a Zinorge but does he always flee at the first sign of real damage?

I feel like the fight was 50/50 split between him running away and him breakdancing.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Dung pods are pretty much mandatory in master rank.
Not really, it's less of requirement than in HR, you can just use the clutch claw and slam the monsters against each others, they both fall and one of them leave when they get up, that plus a lot of damage to the monster you're hunting.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If you upgrade an augmented weapon into a new line in the tree, does it keep the old augments?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, it's less of requirement than in HR, you can just use the clutch claw and slam the monsters against each others, they both fall and one of them leave when they get up, that plus a lot of damage to the monster you're hunting.
Ah, I didn't realize you could slam them into each other. I thought it was just walls.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone here experience with the game running on a (small) external SSD? Debating if it was a good investment to get a small 128 or 256GB one. I just can't stand waiting more than 2 minutes to get from quest board into a hunt. I am used to this process taking less than 10 seconds on PC :(