• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already asked. But, do we have a good LS yet? The sharpness on my LS is killing me (I'm using bones set currently and barely have any decos)

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Already asked. But, do we have a good LS yet? The sharpness on my LS is killing me (I'm using bones set currently and barely have any decos)

Haven't played much yet. So for mid game I got the insect (hornetaur) path LS together with the Narga set you will never run out of purple sharpness.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Been playing with Gunlance all night and GOODNESS GRACIOUS that new wyrmstake you stick in the monster is crazy awesome!!!! Made a long shell 6 and if you place that thing where you can constantly charge shot to hit it, it's an extra 100 something damage each blow on top of your own shots. So happy with this new addition to the arsenal!

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing with Gunlance all night and GOODNESS GRACIOUS that new wyrmstake you stick in the monster is crazy awesome!!!! Made a long shell 6 and if you place that thing where you can constantly charge shot to hit it, it's an extra 100 something damage each blow on top of your own shots. So happy with this new addition to the arsenal!

It is crazy , even using Long 5 (with Artillery 3) one charged shell deals like 200 damage, and you don't even need to aim for weakspot. I have 30% faster killtime so far (MR3 Quest) using GL compared to Swax and SnS lol.

Won't be surprised if it get nerfed in the future lol.

Plexippus

Jun 11, 2019
3RZDVVR.gif

what are the controls to jump off from the trailraider?

Edit : just press the triangle button :X

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It is crazy , even using Long 5 (with Artillery 3) one charged shell deals like 200 damage, and you don't even need to aim for weakspot. I have 30% faster killtime so far (MR3 Quest) using GL compared to Swax and SnS lol.

Won't be surprised if it get nerfed in the future lol.

I hope it doesn't lol!!! I'm enjoying this way too much:)
I ended up making a set of the 3 Zorah Master Rank armor pieces to get that higher level artillery bonus and it just owns.

69886185_10158833631603989_6004568703071420416_o.jpg

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Ah, I didn't realize you could slam them into each other. I thought it was just walls.
It's game changer once you start doing it, allows you to get a clutch claw knockdown even on enraged monsters by slamming another onto them. Really turns monsters interference into a positive thing. :)

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Tell me I shouldn't drop $40 USD on this.
You should drop $40 on this.
What's the best way to boost my rank or does it even matter? Can I just start playing.
As already said, all you need to do is the story until Xenojiva. If you want a group to speed up the process we can help.
Calling the tail rider is worth it (even when it doesn't shave time) for the free mount.
Step one is done. Now there's a whole lot of optimizing and farming to do. Just setting foot in the Guiding Lands for the first time.
Are you a kid now? Or a squid now?

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone here experience with the game running on a (small) external SSD? Debating if it was a good investment to get a small 128 or 256GB one. I just can't stand waiting more than 2 minutes to get from quest board into a hunt. I am used to this process taking less than 10 seconds on PC :(
SSD is totally worth it. I have loading times between 10-20s from board to hunt.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think the weapon tree should have more shortcuts. Don't really feel like going back to HR to farm a bunch of mats for a MR weapon...

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If you're gonna go the Thunder LBG route I would jut worry about making the most damaging set you can, the quicker Bagel dies, the less chances you have of getting blown up. You're generally going to be safer than melee so upgrade your armor's defense more so as a safe guard from one shots. And make sure you add enough recoil mods so you can move while shooting rapid Thunder.

LBG is a new thing for me, but it sure sounds very useful for this fight. I need to find out what these recoil mods are. I think it'll be a good idea to get to the training ground and see what that weapon is all about. As for armor, my biggest defense is the Nergigante armor.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Zinogre HBG is basically just glutton, godbless because I didn't get lucky and roll it during the golden mommy gacha

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
If you are waiting for an attack use circle with your weapon drawn as the little stab from circle is the fastest attack so you get the ability to use forsesight slash the quickest this way

Same goes for when you are in the middle of attacking close to a monster. You see its about to attack go for a circle as your next attack to quickly be able to use foresight slash

Foresight slash is available during the recovery animation of most attacks. Circle is very quick but has a pretty long recovery animation that you can obviously cancel out off with other actions but if you do nothing its ideal for keeping to ability for a foresight slash.

Go into the training area and start mashing foresight slash immediately after triangle then do the same after circle and you see the difference. After that try and delay the foresight slash as much as possible after a triangle/circle and you see how much more time you have to do a foresight slash after circle.

The iframes are active while your character does the step back when doing foresight slash, so to get the 2nd hit with R2 you need to be hit during that time

Just to add to this, you can choose the direction of the backstep + slash which helps with avoiding some attacks with longer active frames and hitting the followup

Is there a soft cap for elements?

Like I know you can hit an actual cap for some weapons with how high their element can go but is there a point where the element increase isn't worth it?

I have the Hoarcry Rimespire, it's the second Legiana SnS and with Ice Attack at 6 it's 308 base with 640 ice... Is there any reason to actually get that ice all the way that high? Does it actually make a difference?

I think they removed the soft cap but levels 4-6 aren't as good as 1-3 afaik

My friend cant use raider ride anymore, any one know why?
Tells you on the Hunter Notes, if you use them too often they get tired and aren't available for a hunt

YohandR

Nov 10, 2017
Paris, France
Has anyone here experience with the game running on a (small) external SSD? Debating if it was a good investment to get a small 128 or 256GB one. I just can't stand waiting more than 2 minutes to get from quest board into a hunt. I am used to this process taking less than 10 seconds on PC :(

It seems the benefits are great :-)
You can find load time differences here : https://youtu.be/ABlb6VYxeZ4?t=416

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I was really nervous about the viper tobi-kadachi and the first two attempts it was rough with the poison and people carting. But then I just maxed out on Antidote decorations and he just... doesn't' poison you anymore. Then he was back to just being an aggressive squirrel and went down pretty quickly.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh those times were on a PS4 slim. So they should be same or even better on a Pro, I guess. Thanks for sharing. I'll report back with results once mine comes in tomorrow.

In theory load times should be longer on pro because it has to load higher quality assets, albeit using the same exact CPU afaik, but yeah the difference to regular ps4 should be minimal if any I figure.

Haven't played much yet. So for mid game I got the insect (hornetaur) path LS together with the Narga set you will never run out of purple sharpness.
Hm thanks, I'll try narga set then.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017

For mid-game, Viper, Narcacuga, and Rathian trees are what you should be looking at.

Endgame, it's probably between the final boss, the final final boss at MR 99, and a gold variant of a monster you've fought already (trying not to spoil).

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Here's my current endgame GS set - it has everything the old Drachen set has except now it doesn't rely on Maximum Might but instead needs a 5% boost from Agitator 1 to get to 100% affinity. 100% affinity and Master's Touch is still going to be the meta, it just won't be Drachen doing it. The numbers you get from this thing are ungodly and the purple sharpness lasts forever.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I bought it fo sho, anyone feel free to add me on PSN to play some Iceborne or just so I can casually see you playing it on my list :P

PSN: BeybladeVirtuoso

SSD is totally worth it. I have loading times between 10-20s from board to hunt.
Which one would you recommend?

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
hope you like that Shrieking Legiana because here is a regular one joining the fight.

Clutch Claw is a damn godsent having a way to get a flying monster out of the air without flash pods is such a nice addition

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hope you like that Shrieking Legiana because here is a regular one joining the fight.

Clutch Claw is a damn godsent having a way to get a flying monster out of the air without flash pods is such a nice addition
It's definitely why they nerfed flash, having both would be just too much, and I kinda prefer the clutch as its always available and works even without slinger ammo, albeit less effective of course.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Glavenous is a tough sob. Carted 2 times and had only 7 minutes left. First monster to really give me a challenge.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Is trying to get to grips with the great sword over using a bow. Though tigrex just owns me (too fast to get any good GS hits) and thinking going back to bows though might give gun lance a shot.

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
Wow in my quest to make most MR dual blades and charge blades I have to farm a ton of High Rank Jyuratodus parts. What a slog.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of dropping my beloved Beotodus/Jagras MR set for a combination of Barioth and Nargacuga for midgame and get both set bonuses- has anyone had experience with the Barioth set bonus?

Barioth Set bonus: 2 pieces: Adds Punishing Draw. Adds a stun effect to draw attacks and slightly increases attack power.
Is the slightly increased attack power just for the one hit or a buff?

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of dropping my beloved Beotodus/Jagras MR set for a combination of Barioth and Nargacuga for midgame and get both set bonuses- has anyone had experience with the Barioth set bonus?

Is the slightly increased attack power just for the one hit or a buff?

It provides an attack buff to draw attacks, which is a single attack performed as you're drawing the weapon. This was previously an Odogaron set bonus in the base game.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It provides an attack buff to draw attacks, which is a single attack performed as you're drawing the weapon. This was previously an Odogaron set bonus in the base game.
Does it not work like previous games where the attack boost is permanent but the stun effect is only for draw attacks?

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
It's seriously insane. I had to avoid using it in single player because it was making me lazy about dodging anything. Reserve it for multiplayer support with my HH and it's stupid how I can carry teams that have no business in certain fights. One time I just healed two hunters constantly as they took on a MR Black Diablo and chugged what seemed like 100 mega potions while they would get repeatedly blasted. Still ended the battle with two left.

It should be 50% at maximum or even lower. 75% chance is ridiculous.
Since using the Tigrex set will mean sacrificing damage for safety, and healing items are already one of the easiest to farm.

I don't think there is a need to nerf it.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
what's up with the new HBG scope attachment? I like the idea as an old HBG player who is used to playing it from that perspective. Does super critical distance do enough extra damage to make it worth it?

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
what's up with the new HBG scope attachment? I like the idea as an old HBG player who is used to playing it from that perspective. Does super critical distance do enough extra damage to make it worth it?
Apparently people are using it even with spread and killing endgame monsters in like 2 minutes. I could see this getting nerfed because nothing is even close to this power level and it also looks incredibly stupid being zoomed super far in while standing 2 steps away from the monster.

Video example:

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Killed Nightshade Paloumu and Coral Pukei Pukei last night, I love this game man. I'm up for Barioth next but I'll keep doing optional quests first, there are so many! I don't care tho, everything feels exciting to me.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Wow in my quest to make most MR dual blades and charge blades I have to farm a ton of High Rank Jyuratodus parts. What a slog.

That's why I built every no-return point weapon in every tree of my most used weapons before Iceborne. The amount of low rank Anjanaths, Legianas, Jyuras, and Tobis you have to farm for that is unreal.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Apparently people are using it even with spread and killing endgame monsters in like 2 minutes. I could see this getting nerfed because nothing is even close to this power level and it also looks incredibly stupid being zoomed super far in while standing 2 steps away from the monster.

Video example:

Another game, another broken hame run with hbg lmao

I think hbg is just fundamentally broken if you can disable a monster

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Killed Nightshade Paloumu and Coral Pukei Pukei last night, I love this game man. I'm up for Barioth next but I'll keep doing optional quests first, there are so many! I don't care tho, everything feels exciting to me.

Nice! Excited to see someone else playing the way I'm playing: knock out the optional quests sequentially and move up to the next rank after that. I see all these people posting how they beat the story and the game isn't a week old yet and I shake my head. I want to savor and enjoy all the new things and it fees like a real event for me every time I reach a brand new monster.
Obv, happy that people who want to play whatever way they want can enjoy whatever way they want, it's just rushing to the end game feels hollow to me given that's all we are getting (besides the free DLC of course) until the next game.

Edit: plus I almost certainly guarantee there will be an extra quest unlock from red completing all the optionals just the base game.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Nice! Excited to see someone else playing the way I'm playing: knock out the optional quests sequentially and move up to the next rank after that. I see all these people posting how they beat the story and the game isn't a week old yet and I shake my head. I want to savor and enjoy all the new things and it fees like a real event for me every time I reach a brand new monster.
Obv, happy that people who want to play whatever way they want can enjoy whatever way they want, it's just rushing to the end game feels hollow to me given that's all we are getting (besides the free DLC of course) until the next game.

Edit: plus I almost certainly guarantee there will be an extra quest unlock from red completing all the optionals just the base game.

I can't allow to see a wall of quests without the "completed" stamp on them.

I'm as surprised as you, reading people playing the end game already and I'm barely getting used to seeing Banbaro lol.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many people will tell you that the true Monster Hunter is in the endgame. Just speaking personally here but I'm not playing this game for the Oscar-winning storyline about the Handler learning about her grandfather or whatever. The endgame is where the meat of the content variety is and that's why people want to get there quickly.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Many people will tell you that the true Monster Hunter is in the endgame. Just speaking personally here but I'm not playing this game for the Oscar-winning storyline about the Handler learning about her grandfather or whatever. The endgame is where the meat of the content variety is and that's why people want to get there quickly.
That and the optionals are just "hunt this monster" or "deliver this item". The quest descriptions can be funny sometimes but it's not like side quests or anything

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
True, but on the flip side by just the assigned quests you miss out on the experience of fighting a lot of master monsters with rank appropriate gear.