• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Nothing wrong with people experiencing the game at different paces. I've got a friend who spent more time on expeditions and decorating the house than actually hunting.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently people are using it even with spread and killing endgame monsters in like 2 minutes. I could see this getting nerfed because nothing is even close to this power level and it also looks incredibly stupid being zoomed super far in while standing 2 steps away from the monster.

Video example:

Oh my God that's so disorientating. There's no way I'd be able to play like that.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I don't have Iceborne yet but I keep seeing the message about a launch set and how it can be claimed until October 3. Is this really important or is it no biggie if I miss out on this?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I just got to Blackveil, not looking forward to it. Haven't fought em yet, but have seen videos of the terror.

I just did it. I found it easier soloing

some of the old HR Vaal Hazak gear works great here too especially with Effluvia Resistance lvl 3
DPQ7JbZ.gif

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have Iceborne yet but I keep seeing the message about a launch set and how it can be claimed until October 3. Is this really important or is it no biggie if I miss out on this?
If you don't already have it, go talk to the cat in your room and claim it. The guardian set (a defense oriented set to help people start out in master rank/boost them through the base game) is available to people without Iceborne.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel the least bad for sleep bombing cheese vs savage jho, god he's brutal. They looked at all it's holes and patched them up for the most part.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
If you don't already have it, go talk to the cat in your room and claim it. The guardian set (a defense oriented set to help people start out in master rank/boost them through the base game) is available to people without Iceborne.
I keep seeing people say it's to help people start master rank, but it's really not. It's just to help people through the base game. It's base defense is WELL below HR elder dragon armor, it's even lower than HR Rathalos armor for that matter. Sure the handholdy skills bolster that a bit, but I doubt anyone is using it in master rank unless they've highly upgraded or augmented it and at that point, why didn't they just use better armor if you're going to farm for all of that?

Haven't seen the videos, what makes Blackveil worse? Val in the base game was always the weakest Elder so reworking sounds pretty cool
Seeing is believing

Last edited:
OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen the videos, what makes Blackveil worse? Val in the base game was always the weakest Elder so reworking sounds pretty cool

He's just arch-tempered Vaal with a white coat of paint thrown over top. He releases constant effluvial gas that stacks with itself to cause huge chip damage and almost constantly cuts your health in half unless you have Effluvial Resistance 3.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
He's just arch-tempered Vaal with a white coat of paint thrown over top. He releases constant effluvial gas that stacks with itself to cause huge chip damage and almost constantly cuts your health in half unless you have Effluvial Resistance 3.
At least the effluvium isn't zone wide like Vaal's and you can actually stop him from spraying out a ton of it when he novas. Just gotta keep up with the spore smashing and he won't do it. It does a lot of damage but it's actually avoidable this time thankfully. Honestly the fight would be unbearable without health augments if it was unavoidable like regular Vaal's. The most terrifying part of the fight for me is clutch clawing onto him while a spore is spewing shit and dying instantly.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I was away last weekend so I'm really behind and just got kicked repeatedly in the butt by Barioth.
But man I missed this game so much. 250hrs in, I booted Iceborne and immediately remembered why I love this game so much.

Last time I played was for the spring event. I'm way less rusty then I anticipated (back then when I played the spring event after a long break it took me a solid day to be able to play lol).

anyway, any good new hammers?

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I remember my first 20hs on World being mostly expeditions to explore the map and finding different herbs, shortcuts, secret places, etc. Now I barely do expeditions at all.
For now. ;p

Iceborne end game has expeditions implemented into it pretty hard.

The Iron hammer tree is a good cheap starter, then switching to Glavenos(from Diablo tree) later on works pretty well.

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
Is that new powered axe mode a big difference for charge blades? I remember thinking it was a little daunting to get into CB before the expansion and now I'm not sure if it drastically changed the playstyle

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Just done with acid glav and ebony oda, and I'm still wearing this basic bone armour from the top of the list, I just can't reach a conclusion of what to grind for.

Plus my attempts at mixed sets are so styles clashing, I just couldn't /fashion hunter

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Have a build/skill question. I never really built for critical status, but noticed an endgame set has true crit status and wondered how well the regular one worked in base game. What I remember from status is that after each status proc the build up increased and didn't know if you actually managed to get more procs out with a crit status. SnS player btw.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I was away last weekend so I'm really behind and just got kicked repeatedly in the butt by Barioth.
But man I missed this game so much. 250hrs in, I booted Iceborne and immediately remembered why I love this game so much.

Last time I played was for the spring event. I'm way less rusty then I anticipated (back then when I played the spring event after a long break it took me a solid day to be able to play lol).

Iron tree hammer can be made with nothing but ore, which is fine starting out. The Pukei hammer is a good low MR hammer, decent white and raw with some poison too and can be made super early since it just needs MR pukei and rathian

Best hammer is possibly acidic glav

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Many people will tell you that the true Monster Hunter is in the endgame. Just speaking personally here but I'm not playing this game for the Oscar-winning storyline about the Handler learning about her grandfather or whatever. The endgame is where the meat of the content variety is and that's why people want to get there quickly.

Absolutely, which is why I want to savor getting to it! I kind of feel that if I'm in the endgame the week of release, I will get tired of it MUCH more quickly.

Again though, it's just a nice thing that people can enjoy however they want to enjoy! I was so surprised that I was in the minority of "taking it slow".

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The Iron hammer tree is a good cheap starter, then switching to Glavenos(from Diablo tree) later on works pretty well.

Iron tree hammer can be made with nothing but ore, which is fine starting out. The Pukei hammer is a good low MR hammer, decent white and raw with some poison too and can be made super early since it just needs MR pukei and rathian

Best hammer is possibly acidic glav

cool thanks
yeah I went into Iceborne with my augmented diablo shatter but I just upgraded my Buona Flora since it was the cheapest/easiest.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, which is why I want to savor getting to it! I kind of feel that if I'm in the endgame the week of release, I will get tired of it MUCH more quickly.

Again though, it's just a nice thing that people can enjoy however they want to enjoy! I was so surprised that I was in the minority of "taking it slow".

Im on team taking it slow

running main missions with friends and running SOS for optionals when solo or doing expeditions

There is soooo much to do and I am loving every minute of it!

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
I slept on Bow for way too long. Finally gave it a whirl (after not liking it in prior entries) and it's a freaking blast in World.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Highly recommend using the kulu-ya-ku hammer until you can make acidic glavenus or final boss hammer. It's really insane for how early you can get it. 240 raw, 25% affinity, works with non-ele boost

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Nice! Then I already have it yeah.

I have a few questions about the light bowgun.

1 - I've just started using it for the first time. The plan is to upgrade it to lightning Blitz III. I already have it upgraded to Lightning Blitz II but there's something I don't understand. When I look at the stats of the weapon I don't see a thunder element on it, I do however see this when it's on swords, Insect Glaive etc.

2 - custom mods. How does this work? Someone here recommended to install recoil mods, but where are they, how to install them?

3- Ammo. Any tips for this?

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
It is not a big deal, but I wish the story was better.

I liked the simplicity of the story in Tri and the story in 4 was okayish. But this game have so many bad cut scenes with horrible dialouge and nonsensical plot line. MH stories are best if they are simple or at least stay out of the way (like in generations).

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently people are using it even with spread and killing endgame monsters in like 2 minutes. I could see this getting nerfed because nothing is even close to this power level and it also looks incredibly stupid being zoomed super far in while standing 2 steps away from the monster.

Video example:

that's very silly and I'll have to give it a try. Memories of shoving pellet s up Diablos' butt.

I'm much more about the pierce 2 HBG lifestyle though. Arguably my favorite MH weapon of all time was the MH3U Narga gun.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It is not a big deal, but I wish the story was better.

I liked the simplicity of the story in Tri and the story in 4 was okayish. But this game have so many bad cut scenes with horrible dialouge and nonsensical plot line. MH stories are best if they are simple or at least stay out of the way (like in generations).
I just wish it was skippable, cutscenes are way too long

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Then I already have it yeah.

I have a few questions about the light bowgun.

1 - I've just started using it for the first time. The plan is to upgrade it to lightning Blitz III. I already have it upgraded to Lightning Blitz II but there's something I don't understand. When I look at the stats of the weapon I don't see a thunder element on it, I do however see this when it's on swords, Insect Glaive etc.

2 - custom mods. How does this work? Someone here recommended to install recoil mods, but where are they, how to install them?

3- Ammo. Any tips for this?

1 - bowguns dont have innate element and instead have access to element ammo. In the case of Light Bowguns you may have access to Rapid Fire of that particular elemental ammo with that gun but im not sure

2 - They are exactly what they sound like. You can craft mods onto your gun to give you access to various bonuses or modifications to how your gun operates. I believe this is all done at the smithy and recoil reduction is very useful but make sure you need it before wasting a mod slot on it. you can see the recoil stats of a particular gun for a given ammo type in its info screen (highlight gun in the equipment menu and scroll its pages)

3 - Just bring all the relevant ammo you need and set it as an Item loadout. There is a separate bag just for ammo so it doesnt use inventory space. You can either buy it or mass craft it. You are limited to how much of each ammo you can carry in the field but you can replenish it by bringing the materials in your normal inventory or gathering them in the field. I dont recommend the later unless you did some serious pre planning and research. You can also set up a hotkey to instant craft extra ammo on your radial menu and this is an invaluable skill for any gunner to learn especially if your gun specializes in a particular ammo type.

There is so much more to learn about bowguns but this is the basics. Hit me up with any further questions!