• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wrapping my head around the new augmentation system. Two questions:
1. Does one know what the max number of custom upgrades are per weapon? These vary by weapon itself, so I don't know how much of a "tree" one knows after custom augmenting the first time.... is there a pattern to these or is it simply each and every weapon specific?
2. Along the same lines, does one know the number of augment slots one can add per weapon? This might be dependent on rarity, but I can't find a clear answer.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does one know what the max number of custom upgrades are per weapon?

Every weapon that can receive custom upgrades (those without unique designs) can receive five upgrades plus the extra slots upgrade. The upgrades use the same materials for each stage no matter what weapon it is.

Along the same lines, does one know the number of augment slots one can add per weapon? This might be dependent on rarity, but I can't find a clear answer.

Depends on the rarity. Purchasing the "extra slots" augment adds three slots to a rarity 10 weapon, two slots to a rarity 11 weapon, and one slot to a rarity 12 weapon (which is basically useless).

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, finally got the base game (got it on Sunday didn't have time to play now). Any tips I need to now? Last game I played was the Generations game on 3DS.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Pff, I haven't played Bow since the very beginning of the game and that one time against those two tempered Bazels, and it shows. Going to watch a view tutorials and gameplay videos tomorrow, I think, if only to get an idea of the general gameplan.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! One more question: do the elemental/status upgrades (regular or custom) raise the elemental cap on a weapon or does it just raise the elemental number? If the latter, seems kinda worthless since decos can do that more efficiently, right?

There isn't really an elemental cap anymore so yes, you can stack elemental augments, custom elemental upgrades, and level 6 elemental attack boost and get juicy numbers.

Bow advice and build
OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go ahead and threadmark my bow advice since it's a very common question in this thread:

If you have a Mighty Bow jewel, do quick shot, normal shot, power shot, normal shot, power shot (Circle -> R2 -> Circle -> R2 -> Circle). After this combo, if you still have stamina, dash dance to keep the charge level up. If you don't have Mighty Bow, do quick shot, power shot, normal shot, power shot. Constitution 5 is largely overkill, Constitution 3 is fine. Don't ever use dragon piercer because it's terrible. Focus on using elemental bows (Barioth for ice, Glavenus for fire, Tobi for thunder, water element tree for water, Vaal Hazak for dragon) and match the element to the monster's weakness. Try to get a Mighty Bow jewel if you can, the DPS increase is signficant. Also look for Weakness Exploit, Critical Eye, Stamina Surge, elemental attack increase, and Critical Element from the two-piece Velkhana set bonus or True Critical Element from the four-piece Silver Rathalos set bonus.

Your priority skills for bow in order from most to least (or lesser) importance:

Non-negotiable
1. Bow Charge Plus (but ONLY through the Mighty Bow jewel -- the Legiana set is mathematically inferior because it cannot fit most of these other skills)
2. Weakness Exploit 3
3. Critical Element/True Critical Element
4. Constitution (either 3 or 1 depending on whether you want to eat for Felyne Black Belt and/or use Dash Juice every hunt)

Important
5. Elemental Attack (to level 6 preferably)
6. Normal Shots 1 (second level is probably not worth sacrificing something else)
7. Spread Shots 1 (second level is probably not worth sacrificing something else)

Get as much in there if you can
8. Critical Eye
9. Stamina Surge
10. Critical Boost
11. Attack Boost

Ideal bow build:

Silver Rathalos Helm
Silver Rathalos Chest
Silver Rathalos Arms
Silver Rathalos Waist
Raging Brachydios Legs
Level 5 Charm for each element

Then gem in the missing skills based on the order priority above, based on which jewels you have.

UPDATE APRIL 2020: The aforementioned bows are no longer the top meta. The Safi'jiiva bows are the best in class for each element, sometimes by a significant margin. There are also slight variations to the armor set that you can make, such as using Kirin arms or Silver Rathalos alpha armor for thunder and fire, respectively.

UPDATE JULY 2020: The Safi'jiiva bows are now slightly outclassed by Kjarr bows, with the exception of thunder where Safi is still the best. For Kjarr bows, you can use the five-piece Safi set, which provides a lot more room for adding comfy skills like health boost if you want them.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Kushala sucks so much to fight. I had a super clean run against it with Lance, blocking every move, getting Offensive Guard active constantly, toppling it with damage to the head a bunch of times, letting Savage Jho mess it up for a bit, knocking it into walls a bunch, and the hunt still lasted for 24 minutes because every time I wasn't doing any of that stuff I was sitting there with my shield up waiting for it to stop spamming projectiles and land.

The flash pod nerf was the right move for every monster in the game except Kushala.

There isn't really an elemental cap anymore so yes, you can stack elemental augments, custom elemental upgrades, and level 6 elemental attack boost and get juicy numbers.
There's still a cap, it's just ludicrously high. I've hit it on my Beo CB with max elemental up, 5 elemental custom augments, and the 4p Namielle set bonus. I don't know what the cap is in relation to the base element, but I saw that my number turned yellow.

From what I saw, element augments do increase the cap, but again it's so high that you're never going to hit it without the 4p Namielle bonus.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Fought my first Brute Tigrex tonight. Wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected. Gold Rathian definitely gives you more of a run for your money. Time to grind to silver rathalos and about the time I get there I'll be about MR100.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Kushala sucks so much to fight. I had a super clean run against it with Lance, blocking every move, getting Offensive Guard active constantly, toppling it with damage to the head a bunch of times, letting Savage Jho mess it up for a bit, knocking it into walls a bunch, and the hunt still lasted for 24 minutes because every time I wasn't doing any of that stuff I was sitting there with my shield up waiting for it to stop spamming projectiles and land.

The flash pod nerf was the right move for every monster in the game except Kushala.

There's still a cap, it's just ludicrously high. I've hit it on my Beo CB with max elemental up, 5 elemental custom augments, and the 4p Namielle set bonus. I don't know what the cap is in relation to the base element, but I saw that my number turned yellow.

From what I saw, element augments do increase the cap, but again it's so high that you're never going to hit it without the 4p Namielle bonus.
For PEP CBs, 4P Namielle or 4P Silver Rath?
Just saw Rainy using 4P Silver Rath.

I don't want to upgrade the wrong set.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
For PEP CBs, 4P Namielle or 4P Silver Rath?
Just saw Rainy using 4P Silver Rath.

I don't want to upgrade the wrong set.
Depends on what you want to do.

Span SAED? Go with Namielle, because phial bursts can't crit.
Sword and axe attacks? Silver Rathalos, because the boosts they get will be bigger with True Crit.

I've seen everyone running 4p Namielle, but the meta is still young.

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
what does it do? can you enlighten me please?
raises the chance of rare life spawning, and you keep the buff until you return to base. As long as you keep swapping between expeditions, you keep the buff. Makes it a lot easier to hop between locations when you're trying to get something to spawn. Pair that with Macrobiologist or Microbiologist to get the crowns for other stuff while you're farming.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Arena Tigrex is so awful. Why did anyone want this guy in the game?

Depends on what you want to do.

Span SAED? Go with Namielle, because phial bursts can't crit.
Sword and axe attacks? Silver Rathalos, because the boosts they get will be bigger with True Crit.

I've seen everyone running 4p Namielle, but the meta is still young.

IMO, Savage Axe isn't all that good. It can potentially do more damage than SAED but the animation commitment is so high and your sharpness goes to shit.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
raises the chance of rare life spawning, and you keep the buff until you return to base. As long as you keep swapping between expeditions, you keep the buff. Makes it a lot easier to hop between locations when you're trying to get something to spawn. Pair that with Macrobiologist or Microbiologist to get the crowns for other stuff while you're farming.

Wait you can eat to increase gold crown chance?! :o

I only need large gold crowns for Kirin and Black Diablos and both for Kush. This could be a game changer!

Plexippus

Jun 11, 2019
Does anybody have ideas for breaking Shara's crown twice to carve?

in my case, i am using those rocks to drop at shara and focusing only on head. im an average player, but i manage to do it with some meta bow sets. my average run on shara is on 10 - 12 minutes. i think you can do it too! just solo shara.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
in my case, i am using those rocks to drop at shara and focusing only on head. im an average player, but i manage to do it with some meta bow sets. my average run on shara is on 10 - 12 minutes. i think you can do it too! just solo shara.

Thanks! Did you mean those shards rising from the ground? How do you drop them on her head? I thought they're there for the wall flinch moves.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait you can eat to increase gold crown chance?! :o

I only need large gold crowns for Kirin and Black Diablos and both for Kush. This could be a game changer!
I think that is only for endemic life and not monsters. Felyne Weakener does help with getting a small crown though.

Plexippus

Jun 11, 2019
Thanks! Did you mean those shards rising from the ground? How do you drop them on her head? I thought they're there for the wall flinch moves.

im sorry but i mean the wall with falling rocks. i think you can see it on your map that there is icons like "shock trap" i guess. im sorry im at work now. i can't provide any screenshots.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
im sorry but i mean the wall with falling rocks. i think you can see it on your map that there is icons like "shock trap" i guess. im sorry im at work now. i can't provide any screenshots.
From personal experience you don't want to drop the falling rocks on Ishvalda more than once. You risk the back or something else taking most damage, and Ishvalda will die before you have a chance to break the head twice. Use a trap once at most if you wanna have the easiest shot at breaking the head.

Plexippus

Jun 11, 2019
From personal experience you don't want to drop the falling rocks on Ishvalda more than once. You risk the back or something else taking most damage, and Ishvalda will die before you have a chance to break the head twice. Use a trap once at most if you wanna have the easiest shot at breaking the head.

Thank you for clearing my statement! because on my own experience i really used those 2 rocks to drop to shara. i think everyone has different experience on shaving shara's scalp. lol!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Thank you for clearing my statement! because on my own experience i really used those 2 rocks to drop to shara. i think everyone has different experience on shaving shara's scalp. lol!

Thanks guys, will give that a go.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question about charge blades.
If you're using an elemental blade and charge your shield, then charge the sword, obviously it gives your sword attacks elemental damage.

what does it do when you're doing it with an impact blade? I do it anyway, just because, not sure if it's effect though.

oh, and what's the consensus on savage axe mode? I like using it because it's fun, and good for trick monsters that it's hard to line up the SAE on. Maybe makes more sense when using an elemental phial blade.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Met Yian Garuga for the first time last night (ever, never played previous games) and he's hilarious. Shockingly easy with a bow though, was subject to much farming hehe. I think I hyped myself up a bit based on feedback here but I do imagine he would be a real pain for certain weapon users because of how hyper he is and some of his combos.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Finally unlocked Yan Garuga, so the story ends when you reach Master Rank 100, right?

Liethe

Nov 19, 2017
Question about charge blades.
If you're using an elemental blade and charge your shield, then charge the sword, obviously it gives your sword attacks elemental damage.

what does it do when you're doing it with an impact blade? I do it anyway, just because, not sure if it's effect though.

oh, and what's the consensus on savage axe mode? I like using it because it's fun, and good for trick monsters that it's hard to line up the SAE on. Maybe makes more sense when using an elemental phial blade.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the question? If using an element CB, your sword attacks (or any attacks) already do elemental damage. Charging the sword just gives you additional small hits after the normal hit. impact CB would then be doing stamina drain and if hitting head, KO.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the question? If using an element CB, your sword attacks (or any attacks) already do elemental damage. Charging the sword just gives you additional small hits after the normal hit. impact CB would then be doing stamina drain and if hitting head, KO.
That does answer my question, thanks. But I thought you had to charge your sword to add the element to it, but you learn something new every day etc.

Liethe

Nov 19, 2017
That does answer my question, thanks. But I thought you had to charge your sword to add the element to it, but you learn something new every day etc.
ah okay! I thought I misunderstood what you mean. all good!

as for savage axe, I feel like It's good, but as with most things there are drawbacks. kinda depends on your playstyle. if you play aggressive and can hit all your attacks it probably does more than SAED would. but you rapidly lose sharpness and it takes time... for SAED it's a burst of damage all at once. you only need one window of opportunity.

It's a welcome change to the SAED spam I'd say.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
what do you guys think about divine blessing 5?

I have a Ruiner GS set I'm rocking that sacrifices some Agitator levels in favour of divine blessing 5, because I'm not a pro and I get hit. Tempered elders hit like gosh darn TRUCKS in master rank.

The set is as follows:

Crit Eye 7
Attack Boost 5
Divine Blessing 5
Crit Boost 3
Weakness Exploit 3
Focus 3
Health boost 3
Agitator 2
Free Meal 1 (love this skill)

I could sacrifice Divine blessing for quick sheath or more agitator... but yeah, I kinda like playing with divine blessing a lot.

Any input or advice?

EDIT:

I use almost the same thing for my LS build, I just drop Focus 3 and 1 point in attack boost and slot in the Razor Sharp charm. I use the Golden Rath LS for that one, with health augment.

Last edited:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ah okay! I thought I misunderstood what you mean. all good!

as for savage axe, I feel like It's good, but as with most things there are drawbacks. kinda depends on your playstyle. if you play aggressive and can hit all your attacks it probably does more than SAED would. but you rapidly lose sharpness and it takes time... for SAED it's a burst of damage all at once. you only need one window of opportunity.

It's a welcome change to the SAED spam I'd say.
Yeah, I mix up between the two. Tend to use to when I can't quite get the SAED opportunity. Or hunts like Rathalos just dangling in the air after flash pod immunity.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Every weapon that can receive custom upgrades (those without unique designs) can receive five upgrades plus the extra slots upgrade. The upgrades use the same materials for each stage no matter what weapon it is.
Are custom elemental upgrades as good as augment slots elemental upgrades? Because that would pretty much guarantees that for weapons with elemental damage preference(Bow and Dual Blades), the meta will be mostly around weapons with ugly standard designs.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Absolutely take partbreaker and just focus on the head, run him into the walls whenever you can. I just did clutchclaw blows with hammer to him constantly and the crown broke off just before he died. Probably faster if you solo.

Thanks for the tip! Have been trying to use slicing on his face but could not break them off before he died.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Garuga is nothing
Scarred is the real shit, I had a laugh facing it the 1st time
Hahaha, same. It's like he spent some time watching HBG cluster bomb users and was like, "I can top that".
Finally unlocked Yan Garuga, so the story ends when you reach Master Rank 100, right?
I mean, technically the story ended with shara, but if you mean when you get the last assigned quests, I believe that's MR200.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are custom elemental upgrades as good as augment slots elemental upgrades? Because that would pretty much guarantees that for weapons with elemental damage preference(Bow and Dual Blades), the meta will be mostly around weapons with ugly standard designs.

All five custom elemental upgrades only give you +50 element total, so there are still going to be plenty of weapons where a higher rarity version is still better.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally started playing World yesterday and I got to be honest I did not expect that action of an opening. And also man am I rusty, I nearly got killed the first quest...

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
And also man am I rusty, I nearly got killed the first quest...
That's some proper rust. If you are interested, there's a squad that a few of the posters of this thread use.
There's a threadmark on this OT with a session ID (currently obsolete since I'm working) that I try to renew whenever I'm online. If you want to join the squad, just ask for a Guild Card and you can use the associated Squad Card to request membership.
I'm always willing to rock a Hunting Horn plus healer set for multiplayer hunts.
In case you haven't claimed it yet, there's that special armor that they've provided that grants you good survivability for starting the game. You can claim it at the cat in your room.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's some proper rust. If you are interested, there's a squad that a few of the posters of this thread use.
There's a threadmark on this OT with a session ID (currently obsolete since I'm working) that I try to renew whenever I'm online. If you want to join the squad, just ask for a Guild Card and you can use the associated Squad Card to request membership.
I'm always willing to rock a Hunting Horn plus healer set for multiplayer hunts.
In case you haven't claimed it yet, there's that special armor that they've provided that grants you good survivability for starting the game. You can claim it at the cat in your room.

Honestly the real reason I nearly died was because I forgot the where the dodge button was so I kept on trying to drink potions instead. Once I got down to like half health I then realized I've been running around the entire area and had 6 Jaggis on my ass. I think I'll be better now that I got some handle of the controls.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Honestly the real reason I nearly died was because I forgot the where the dodge button was so I kept on trying to drink potions instead. Once I got down to like half health I then realized I've been running around the entire area and had 6 Jaggis on my ass. I think I'll be better now that I got some handle of the controls.
The training area is a godsend, specially to try new weapon moves.