• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Friendly reminder that dung pods exist. So many people in hunts that I SOS into seem to forget this fact.

Sorry, but I rather not waste precious item slots that I can use for atk boost consumable instead /s

One time I wasted 10 Dung Pod in a single hunt because no one else packing Dung Pods. Either they believe other player will handle dung pod task, or they feel badass enough to fight multiple monster at once.

Oct 28, 2017
When I saw the Handler waiting for me to investigate the GL together I immediately knew it was going to be one of those missions. And sure enough, now she's constantly distracting me with unwanted advice while I need all my concentration to deal with the wild ape charging me.
Did you know that you can attack the tail to break it's berserk mode? No? Well I'm going to tell you all about it while you fight the monster and that's not distracting at all.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
When I saw the Handler waiting for me to investigate the GL together I immediately knew it was going to be one of those missions. And sure enough, now she's constantly distracting me with unwanted advice while I need all my concentration to deal with the wild ape charging me.

I found the handler to be suprisingly tolerable during the quest, that is until the fight starts and she's yelling about his tail every two minutes of course.

Rajang: smaller, faster, stronger behemoth.

I see the hyperbole is in full effect tonight.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I'm supposed to beat Rajang with the hammer. Jesus.

It's like they just made him as fast as in the old games while your movement is slower.
Yea, he hops around so much, but like a lot of the newer monsters, abusing the hell out of airborne attacks.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Sorry, but I rather not waste precious item slots that I can use for atk boost consumable instead /s

One time I wasted 10 Dung Pod in a single hunt because no one else packing Dung Pods. Either they believe other player will handle dung pod task, or they feel badass enough to fight multiple monster at once.

Maybe they're just sick of Dung-podding a monster and then it immediately left and THEN the target monster follows EXACTLY towards the direction of the dung-podded monster. (or vice versa)

Lost count already on how many times this happened :(

Still, yeah it's still useful sometimes.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I quite enjoyed Rajang, certainly more tolerable than his previous iterations. So... elephant in the room, is that top material for it's weapons upgrades
Fuious Rajang
??? It's not guiding land specific material for the Rajang nor a material in general from Rajang.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Took Rajang down in 30 minutes, zero faints.

Much like Deviljho, I have no idea why people love this monster. What an unfun fight.

And to rub it in, his hammer does indeed look like a giant testicle. What an ugly weapon. At least the SnS looks great. And the LBG is just a reskinned Kirin LBG, haha.

Not sure how I'm supposed to beat Rajang with the hammer. Jesus.

It's like they just made him as fast as in the old games while your movement is slower.
I once again resorted to slide/jump abuse. No way you're going to win a ground fight with him, with his speed and the AI very obviously reading your inputs.

Of course I don't know him very well, but it also feels like he has fairly low HP to make up for his insane movement. Because it feels like he only took half the beating I had to give, say, Teostra before he went limping.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So I've beaten Kushala in Wings of the Wind optional quest, then out of nowhere another quest called Harbinger of the Skies appeared and Wings of the Wind dissappeared.
Me and two other people lost at the 46 minute mark (I don't know how it took us all that time an lost), and now Wings reappeared completed and Harbinger is not visible anymore.

What happened and what should I do?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Took down Fulgar Ajanth solo since no one joined my SOS. My only Iceborne hammer is thunder so after playing only hammer for the whole game switched to Longsword (played LS in XX, so kinda know what to do) I could make which was water. Was a pretty rough fight even with 20 thunder def, just getting 1-2 shotted. Barely beat him after 2 faints and about 35 mins.

I never bothered doing a lot of the "..." optional quests and I'm missing like all the mantles and tons of stuff this far into the game. I only have Vit+ mantle & Ghilie+ mantle. I've got about 790 DEF with Hammer at rarity 10 bone w/free element 3rd tier giving me 1300 ATK + ~ 600 Thunder. Using the Iron+ set for 3 pieces to get free element and mix & match for the other 2. Thinking about using the other 2 for Fulgar parts to get Stamina bonus from it.

So far I haven't really grinded at all in Iceborne. Mostly because I only have a free night here and there and 2-3 hours of gaming time is barely enough for 2 monster progress per night in the main campaign. Can I coast through the rest & ending of Iceborne and into post-game with this or do I need to grind some stuff. I like getting to endgame/post-game and then focusing on weapon/armor build grinding while progressing through post-game, but damn Iceborne hits pretty hard from Barioth onwards!

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm really digging the look of Leather head + chest + arms on my hunter in combination with the Hunter's legs and Thermae belt.

Rajang Hammer goes SSJ in charge level 3 which makes up for the testicle look.
Guess I have to craft it now.

At least the weapons are surprisingly light on material requirements. I didn't expect to have more than enough for one weapon after just one hunt.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So I've beaten Kushala in Wings of the Wind optional quest, then out of nowhere another quest called Harbinger of the Skies appeared and Wings of the Wind dissappeared.
Me and two other people lost at the 46 minute mark (I don't know how it took us all that time an lost), and now Wings reappeared completed and Harbinger is not visible anymore.

What happened and what should I do?

Nvm, did another quest and it's back again but it's too late so it'll be tomorrow. -_-

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Rajang is a pretty fun fight , but Zin is still king fun. I still think Extreme Behemoth, Luna and Kushala are the worst monsters in the game , so tedious.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I quite enjoyed Rajang, certainly more tolerable than his previous iterations. So... elephant in the room, is that top material for it's weapons upgrades
Fuious Rajang
??? It's not guiding land specific material for the Rajang nor a material in general from Rajang.

Pretty sure it will be. Same material that I think goes for the Slot 2 upgrades on the weapon augments. Either that or it's some weird rare drop off a breakable part that's been evading me.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
this is the best look for females dont@me

EGfjUD9UEAAWpbE

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The 5 star elder dragon options are weird. There are two of them for Teo, Kush, and Kirin (I think). They cycle in an out. Have to beat both to red complete the 5 stars.

Cool, I've beaten all of them but it's like there's two quests for each, I've three available right now for them. Will tackle them when I get up.

Edit: Oh, actually for Kirin I just did the special assignment, now I should face Rajang but nope, I'll do sidequests and other stuff first.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Took down Fulgar Ajanth solo since no one joined my SOS. My only Iceborne hammer is thunder so after playing only hammer for the whole game switched to Longsword (played LS in XX, so kinda know what to do) I could make which was water. Was a pretty rough fight even with 20 thunder def, just getting 1-2 shotted. Barely beat him after 2 faints and about 35 mins.

I never bothered doing a lot of the "..." optional quests and I'm missing like all the mantles and tons of stuff this far into the game. I only have Vit+ mantle & Ghilie+ mantle. I've got about 790 DEF with Hammer at rarity 10 bone w/free element 3rd tier giving me 1300 ATK + ~ 600 Thunder. Using the Iron+ set for 3 pieces to get free element and mix & match for the other 2. Thinking about using the other 2 for Fulgar parts to get Stamina bonus from it.

So far I haven't really grinded at all in Iceborne. Mostly because I only have a free night here and there and 2-3 hours of gaming time is barely enough for 2 monster progress per night in the main campaign. Can I coast through the rest & ending of Iceborne and into post-game with this or do I need to grind some stuff. I like getting to endgame/post-game and then focusing on weapon/armor build grinding while progressing through post-game, but damn Iceborne hits pretty hard from Barioth onwards!

I would say invest more on offensive oriented skill. At least you want Critical Eye (Charm+Deco you get from story should give you Critical Eye 5 to start you with) and Weakness Exploit (if you don't have the deco, Fulgur Anjanath and Rathalos piece have them I think).

Also try to utilize Flinch shot knockdown : when the monster icon have yellow eye icon on mini map, you can clutch to their head, try to steer it to face wall using O/B, then use R2/RT with slinger ammo equipped to ram it to wall.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
But that's not the leather set.
DBNcoyI.jpg

Also did they increase the rewards from guiding lands? I've been getting some really good decorations from there all of a sudden.
I use leather for all the bone weapons like Acidic Glav GS. Diver+Girro+Blossom pants for everything else.

I don't have access to gold rathian yet. :<

Shara and Hellish are comparable, just get whichever is less of a pain in the ass to farm for you. They're both a bit of a pain.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I would say invest more on offensive oriented skill. At least you want Critical Eye (Charm+Deco you get from story should give you Critical Eye 5 to start you with) and Weakness Exploit (if you don't have the deco, Fulgur Anjanath and Rathalos piece have them I think).

I think I have Critical eye around 3 from decorations (so like 15% affinity) and I either have 1 slot on weakness exploit, or its on one of the Fulgur pieces I was thinking about getting next.

Should I give up free element for things like Weakness Exploit and Critical Eye? I feel like 600 thunder is pretty substantial bonus damage, but I don't really understand how important elemental damage is (for instance with 1300 ATK and 600 thunder am I doing 1900 ATK damage against thunder weak enemies?).

Also try to utilize Flinch shot knockdown : when the monster icon have yellow eye icon on mini map, you can clutch to their head, try to steer it to face wall using O/B, then use R2/RT with slinger ammo equipped to ram it to wall.

Yeah, I do that when I can.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I think I have Critical eye around 3 from decorations (so like 15% affinity) and I either have 1 slot on weakness exploit, or its on one of the Fulgur pieces I was thinking about getting next.

Should I give up free element for things like Weakness Exploit and Critical Eye? I feel like 600 thunder is pretty substantial bonus damage, but I don't really understand how important elemental damage is (for instance with 1300 ATK and 600 thunder am I doing 1900 ATK damage against thunder weak enemies?).

Yeah, I do that when I can.
Elemental is rather useless on Hammer, it doesn't hit often enough for it to be worth it.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Elemental is rather useless on Hammer, it doesn't hit often enough for it to be worth it.

Ok, I guess I have no idea how elemental damage is calculated. I get with status ailments you have to hit them a bunch and then it builds up causes the ailment so hammer sucks for that, but didn't think elemental damage was like that.

Looks like I should prioritize other skills and higher DEF armor then with my hammer build.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Hunted leveling the volcanic region for 2 hours with a group straight. The first time since launch I've not had someone leave after a hunt and we're people actually stuck around. I'm sure it will go back to the same in and out, but it was nice for everyone to have similar goals all at the same time for once

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I guess I have no idea how elemental damage is calculated. I get with status ailments you have to hit them a bunch and then it builds up causes the ailment so hammer sucks for that, but didn't think elemental damage was like that.

Looks like I should prioritize other skills and higher DEF armor then with my hammer build.
Elemental generally adds a flat damage number per hit (some attacks have elemental modifiers, but flat damage is a general rule).
So let's just imagine that a high element bonus adds 10 elemental damage per hit.
For hammer or GS it's not much, since your regular attacks are hitting for 100+ raw damage. Doing an extra 10 damage on a 300 damage "golf swing" attack isn't a big deal.
For dual blades it's huge since you are doing loss of little attacks at about 30 raw damage, so adding 10 more is a big deal.
The elemental damage in the weapon stats is usually higher on hammers than dual blades, but not enough to offset the "hit rate".

I think elemental weapons and damage got some buffs in iceborne. I heard that GS got some big elemental damage modifiers added to some charged attacks but I don't know about hammer. However, raw damage is still best once you factor in the critical hit modifiers in most builds. Criticals don't affect elemental damage unless you use special "critical element" armour set bonuses.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Element works on every hit. Fortunately, hitzones values don't effect it the same way raw does, only a monsters over all weakness to that element. What this means is you can attack non optimal parts, likely due to hit and run chance strikes in melee or bad/movement drift aim with ranged, and still do decent damage if specd for the right element. This favors fast hitting weapons who would benefit from that flat damage every single hit over slower ones where raw matters most. That's basically why hammer metas typically revolve around only a handful of hammers that can benefit from non elemental boost, which ups raw.