• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So how exactly do you fight Mr Tempered kushala with a melee weapon? I have windproof and I still bounce off of him. I literally can never get in an actual hit!

Windproof only protects against the knockbacks that swoop flybys and strong attacks do if your to close when dodging. What's pushing you is his wind aura, and it can it be turned off by enough elder seal hits. Try to avoid flinch shots so it stays out of rage mode as long as possible before it turns it on. The Kushala armor also has has a 3 piece set bonus that negates wind pressure, which is it's aura.

All that's to say you need to come prepared for it, bring weapons that get around it like sticky ammo or a Lance with reach, or resign yourself to learning its head movement patterns really well and get those hits in when the auras up

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Dual Blades are the most deco-hungry weapons in the game. I don't know how anyone builds for these without losing their mind. Some of these builds have 3x Expert +4 jewels, Hard Item Prolonger, and Handicraft +4 and can't even fit in Health Boost.
So how exactly do you fight Mr Tempered kushala with a melee weapon? I have windproof and I still bounce off of him. I literally can never get in an actual hit!
You don't.

Bringing anything except Bowguns/Bow and maybe a Hunting Horn user for buffs is a mistake.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
you can check Hunter notes then guiding lands to see which monster each level you get and tempered or not, and rajang needs volcanic level 7.

You're right! I forgot where I saw all that information, somehow I thought it was on the internet lol

I'm leveling Wildspire now, got to mid lvl4, have to get that Gold Rathian (and Lunastra altho she appeared at lvl6 volcanic but haven't faced her yet).

I'll keep playing tomorrow, if I'm not mistaken Gold Rathian and Brute Tigrex are the only ones left to complete the bestiary.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I just noticed that once you unlock pawswap in a region, you can fast travel to it. I wish I'd noticed earlier. Very handy when farming treasures or when you quickly want to grab a buddy and your signal is on cooldown.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Dual Blades are the most deco-hungry weapons in the game. I don't know how anyone builds for these without losing their mind. Some of these builds have 3x Expert +4 jewels, Hard Item Prolonger, and Handicraft +4 and can't even fit in Health Boost.

You don't.

Bringing anything except Bowguns/Bow and maybe a Hunting Horn user for buffs is a mistake.
I feel bow is the most deco hungry.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
You use three pieces of Kushala armor to negate its wind pressure. Maybe earplugs too because it squeals every time it fly, but that's optional. With this, you can put on the glider mantle, clutch claw into it when it fly, jump then glide toward it and use an air attack, it works great with GS or a hammer, even better if your weapon has elder seal. If you don't want to use the clutch claw and glider mantle combo, just use an insect glaive.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

1. Press start
2. Choose Abandon Quest
3. Go to resource center
4. Delete the investigation
5. Go to social media
6. Tag/mention capcom account
7. Write "Fakku Kusharudaora"

SnesCartman

Oct 25, 2017
I just spent the last hour doing guiding lands to get 3 level 7 area, already got 2 to 7 (wildspire and coral) and the last one volcano a tiny bit more around 100 pts, but if I got it to 7 then another level 7 will go down, this shit so frustrating lmao.

FoxJenkins

Dec 12, 2017
So in my HBG experimentation I've now run into the issue of what to do with faster monsters like Ebony Odogaron. Sticky Ammo? How do you slow them down to boomstick the face?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
So in my HBG experimentation I've now run into the issue of what to do with faster monsters like Ebony Odogaron. Sticky Ammo? How do you slow them down to boomstick the face?
I thought they were among the easier ones. Odogaron is just deceptively fast, but in most of his attacks he will jump back to his original position after doing the first jump attack. So you can just aim at where he started and he will jump back for you.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I'm starting to sour on how clutch claw's implementation has had a homogenizing effect on everything. Especially the clagger (Clutch claw stagger). Every 30-40 seconds the monster just sits back and tells you to clutch claw, which is just kinda lame in a game like this. Being able to clutch and hop off to extend the stagger window, delaying the clutch claw to the last second while your teammates get free big bang combos and true charge slash combos is something that you can do on literally every monster. And it happens extremely often if you know what you are doing, so its just become repetitive to me. Even if I wanted to stop using it just to give the game some of the variety back, the clagger still interrupts fights. Also some fights like Zin are a slog if you don't use it since he has no weak spots. Clutch claw was fun at first, but imo it's just too forced. I really hope they drop it for future games, or at least change the implementation significantly. Its too centralizing because of it's extremely powerful effect and their decision to add the clagger. If they end up keeping it going forward, I'd like to see the tenderizing effect significantly nerfed, remove clagger, and make the tenderize attacks much quicker to complete so that you have to find openings for the attack yourself instead of just giving you a bunch of freebees.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the CC stagger is a mechanic that would've made much more sense in LR and HR than in MR, but because CC was added in MR they couldn't expect a bunch of players to go back to easier hunts to see it and learn how to CC.

I do agree that it's too dominant/centralizing. You can really tell that they more or less expected everyone to use it as much as possible when you fight otherwise pretty basic monsters like Glavenus with ranged weapons and find out that it has no weakpoints pre-wounding. I wouldn't get rid of it because conceptually it's a great idea (can get you and teammates to focus on other parts of the body, makes breaking tough parts a bit easier, controlling rage states is great for Agitator, etc.) but I think it wasn't balanced all that well, which makes sense given that they added this huge new mechanic in a GRank update. It'll probably be a a lot better in MH6 after they sit back, see what worked and didn't, and get to design the entire game with the mechanic in mind.

Also they need to fix some of the wonkiness with it. Clutching onto the tail and flying up to the shoulder of a monster never feels or looks good.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I'm starting to sour on how clutch claw's implementation has had a homogenizing effect on everything. Especially the clagger (Clutch claw stagger). Every 30-40 seconds the monster just sits back and tells you to clutch claw, which is just kinda lame in a game like this. Being able to clutch and hop off to extend the stagger window, delaying the clutch claw to the last second while your teammates get free big bang combos and true charge slash combos is something that you can do on literally every monster. And it happens extremely often if you know what you are doing, so its just become repetitive to me. Even if I wanted to stop using it just to give the game some of the variety back, the clagger still interrupts fights. Also some fights like Zin are a slog if you don't use it since he has no weak spots. Clutch claw was fun at first, but imo it's just too forced. I really hope they drop it for future games, or at least change the implementation significantly. Its too centralizing because of it's extremely powerful effect and their decision to add the clagger. If they end up keeping it going forward, I'd like to see the tenderizing effect significantly nerfed, remove clagger, and make the tenderize attacks much quicker to complete so that you have to find openings for the attack yourself instead of just giving you a bunch of freebees.
Yep, clutch claw tenderizing mechanic should only be a tool to tenderize parts that are otherwise hard to deal with, like Luna's head for cutting damage or something like Kushala tail to make severing it easier, it shouldn't benefit tenderizing parts that are already week points. Make it an extra tool, not something we're required to do, not build monsters around it.

They should really focus on making things more dynamic going forward, hardcoded robotic stuff like clagger, invincible turf wars, semi invincible low health walk to the nest just feels awful to deal with and takes you out of the "dynamic world" that they invested so much in and keeps emphasizing with every dev diary/interview.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The claw makes using mantels besides temporal and rocksteady mantle useless outside of like certain monsters

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Eh, I still like the claw. If monsters are entering the stunned state every 30-40 seconds for you you're probably a super good player. Don't take it away from those of us who aren't.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Eh, I still like the claw. If monsters are entering the stunned state every 30-40 seconds for you you're probably a super good player. Don't take it away from those of us who aren't.

Yeah in my games the tougher monsters don't go into exhausted mode that often and battles take around 15/20 minutes at least.

Savage Deviljho is always pissed.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I unlocked a Tempered Scarred Yian Garuga investigation. Can you also get regular Scarred YG investigations, or is it tempered by default?

Decent power + Stickies + Bunch of Status Ammo = probably the best(?) status LBG in the game.

For raw power Garuga and Rajang are better but Shara is really good with a decent team to take advantage of the cc it provides.
It's great for sticky ammo.
Status/support isn't that useful to me since I only play solo, but I could try a sticky build. So far I have shied away from it, since I am not a fan of the ammo micromanagement it involves.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I unlocked a Tempered Scarred Yian Garuga investigation. Can you also get regular Scarred YG investigations, or is it tempered by default?

Status/support isn't that useful to me since I only play solo, but I could try a sticky build. So far I have shied away from it, since I am not a fan of the ammo micromanagement it involves.
Tempered Yian Garuga is always scarred. Scarred is always tempered.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
That wasn't my intent. I should say that it would be necessary monster health and defenses should be rebalanced to counteract any changes to the clutch claw implementation. I'm fine if stuff gets easier at the end of the day, I'm not one of those people that think things should be difficult for the sake of difficulty (Lunastra/Rajang). I just want the fights to feel as unique as possible because learning a monster inside and out is the fun part of the game for me, and I think clutch claw's current implementation hurts that.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't CC stagger be fixed by just removing the extended duration if you dismount from the claw mount, basically it only extends extra for when you are clawed? That's the point of exploit.
But I also think it's fine to leave it as is in multiplayer hunts where you can just mount a bit longer before the tenderize

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scarred Yian Garuga is basically an echo fighter of regular Yian Garuga smh Sakurai

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That wasn't my intent. I should say that it would be necessary monster health and defenses should be rebalanced to counteract any changes to the clutch claw implementation. I'm fine if stuff gets easier at the end of the day, I'm not one of those people that think things should be difficult for the sake of difficulty (Lunastra/Rajang). I just want the fights to feel as unique as possible because learning a monster inside and out is the fun part of the game for me, and I think clutch claw's current implementation hurts that.

I dunno, the way the clutch claw mechanics work don't make me think it's over powered or repetitive nor do I think their health should be rebalanced. I'm not constantly boarding them and their knocked over /stun states don't make feel like it's necessary. From watching some elitist YouTube videos I can tell some folks think it's clutch or nothing and the monsters are enraged most of the fight, but I certainly don't play that way. I still successfully learn the monster and fight it till the hunts over without utilizing the clutch claw staggering at all sometimes. I really love how this new feature was added. It gave us a plethora of new tools for various weapons and it's fun to use. I've always had a soft spot for video game grappling hooks haha

Last edited:

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
EHOThF3W4AEn1EP

I have achieved Maximum Fashion Hunter.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If there's one thing I would change it would be to remove the RNG behind breaking monster parts and their rewards. I'm farming for Teostra Hardhorns and I break his horns every time, but after that I can only hope I actually get the hardhorn and not two worthless hardclaws.

If you break a certain part the associated reward should be guaranteed, period.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
If there's one thing I would change it would be to remove the RNG behind breaking monster parts and their rewards. I'm farming for Teostra Hardhorns and I break his horns every time, but after that I can only hope I actually get the hardhorn and not two worthless hardclaws.

If you break a certain part the associated reward should be guaranteed, period.

I agree, happened to me trying to get Dodogama's lash.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked the Yian Garuga quest

And ive spent 15 minutes trying to fibd the fucker

Am I stupid or did they really force in the GL level bullshit into timed missions?