• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I started MHW with the clutch claw and I can't imagine a new game without it because it is in addition to monster mounting a real game changer. It is so satisfying to send an anjanath crashing into a wall. The claw attacks look so badass when you perform them especially with heavy bow gun where you send a whole clip of your ammo into the monsters head.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I think the CC is okay for weapons like Hammer, where it's integrated into the moveset. But with some other weapons, where you have to tenderize manually, it feels clunky as hell. And you have to do it, because MR is balanced around it. I mean, the flinch shot mechanic is awful as well, but at least the game lets me ignore it most of the time.

Easily the worst addition in Iceborne.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I enjoy the CC when there are two monsters and I can run them into each other. I had a fun time earlier when Kushala tried to crash my tempered Rathian hunt and I made it suffer.

But as a Glaive main, I find claw to be clunky most of the time. The midair grab is cool, but having to click R3 to switch when on the ground, then sometimes clicking it a second time because the game hasn't switched, but actually it has switched it's just a bit sluggish so the second click just undoes the first, and now the monster is hitting me... that's not fun.

somax

Oct 27, 2017
Mounting and cc should be somehow merged in a single mechanic, imo. They seem to serve similar purposes, with different mechanics.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
My two biggest gripes with the CC are that aiming is still wonky for some reason (I shot it at Silver's head, so why am I stuck to the tail right now?) and that it feels really underpowered for light weapons. Light weapons' CC animations should be fast as fuck to make up for the fact that you need to do it more to get wounds, but instead they don't feel much faster than the heavy weapons so you just end up not wounding monsters as much.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine playing a new MH game without clutch claw now. Sorry not sorry to all the CC haters. Flinch Shotting monsters into walls is super satisfying as is hitting juicy tenderized weak spots.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
I can't imagine playing a new MH game without clutch claw now. Sorry not sorry to all the CC haters. Flinch Shotting monsters into walls is super satisfying as is hitting juicy tenderized weak spots.

Yup yup, totally agree. I would like to see more weapons that have clutch claw integrated into the moveset like hammer though. Super satisfying to go into spin to win after the charged level 3 hit.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Clutch Claw moves with GS opens up numerous ways to get into True Charged Strikes faster. It makes the side blow after a tackle move go from a useless move to being very powerful in an aggressive playstyle. Tackle -> Side Blow -> CC -> TCS.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Beat teostra yesterday and it was a much more enjoyable fight than against kushala daora. Sure it also took like 30 mins but I didn't have to deal with stupid things like tornados during the fight.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Crown hunting for Iceborne is killing me. 13 scarred garuga and only 1 silver crown, and I already ran out of its investigation,

Beat teostra yesterday and it was a much more enjoyable fight than against kushala daora. Sure it also took like 30 mins but I didn't have to deal with stupid things like tornados during the fight.

I think general sentiment is that Teostra is amazing while Kushala is garbo.

Guess which one held the title of flagship monster (in this case, of Monster Hunter 2).

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The clutch claws sucks. It basically makes all the mantles besides temporal and rocksteady useless because why use the other mantles? And then depending on weapon you have to do up to two clutch claw attacks to tenderize the monster which sucks. Not to mention that the whole mechanic is so wonky and feel like it's going to break at any second.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I got the moly trophy after only catching one normal and one rare moly - both in the Coral zone. I think that's a bug but I'm not complaining.

I'm trying to farm Lunastra XP now, she's the only monster I haven't maxed out. I did an investigation with a ghillie mantle so I could gather tracks for a while, but she could see through it! She is the worst.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
I got the moly trophy after only catching one normal and one rare moly - both in the Coral zone. I think that's a bug but I'm not complaining.

I'm trying to farm Lunastra XP now, she's the only monster I haven't maxed out. I did an investigation with a ghillie mantle so I could gather tracks for a while, but she could see through it! She is the worst.

Same thing happened to me. In fact, I got the capture molies in all regions trophy first, way before the regular moly trophy by capturing a rare moly. Must be mistranslated.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Clutch Claw moves with GS opens up numerous ways to get into True Charged Strikes faster. It makes the side blow after a tackle move go from a useless move to being very powerful in an aggressive playstyle. Tackle -> Side Blow -> CC -> TCS.
Not to mention the slinger shot burst you can do can be done in any direction after several of the swings, allowing you to easily re-aim if the monster moves around a bunch. The GS has never been more mobile, and it's awesome.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do monster in the guiding lands give new carves for new weapons? Are they also harder?

Do they eventually become tempered and can I later get investigations to hunt them without going to guiding lands?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Do monster in the guiding lands give new carves for new weapons? Are they also harder?

Do they eventually become tempered and can I later get investigations to hunt them without going to guiding lands?
The monsters don't seem any more difficult to me. They can be Tempered when you level up the region they spawn in (with a few exceptions like poor Great Jagras that can never be tempered).

They drop new items that you can only get in Guiding Lands. You don't actually need to kill them to get it, they drop loads. I needed an item from Tempered Rajang to craft his final Insect Glaive. I joined a Tempered Rajang hunt and during the fight I collected 24 of that item. If you equip one Geology decoration you will get double loot during the fight.

And yes you will get Investigations, but if you need the specific Guiding Lands loot you have to fight them there. But like I said, this loot is very very easy to collect so you won't have to fight them many times.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The monsters don't seem any more difficult to me. They can be Tempered when you level up the region they spawn in (with a few exceptions like poor Great Jagras that can never be tempered).

They drop new items that you can only get in Guiding Lands. You don't actually need to kill them to get it, they drop loads. I needed an item from Tempered Rajang to craft his final Insect Glaive. I joined a Tempered Rajang hunt and during the fight I collected 24 of that item. If you equip one Geology decoration you will get double loot during the fight.

And yes you will get Investigations, but if you need the specific Guiding Lands loot you have to fight them there. But like I said, this loot is very very easy to collect so you won't have to fight them many times.
Thank you, and fighting them, even without killing them, does that also increase my Mr and location level?

I basically am trying to find out the best and fastest way to get to higher end monsters like zinogre, ruin nergi, rajang, savage deviljo, their tempered versions etc. Can you even join others that are hunting those monsters? The game teased them in cutscenes, and now it feels like I have to start from scratch just to get there

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Thank you, and fighting them, even without killing them, does that also increase my Mr and location level?

I basically am trying to find out the best and fastest way to get to higher end monsters like zinogre, ruin nergi, rajang, savage deviljo, their tempered versions etc. Can you even join others that are hunting those monsters? The game teased them in cutscenes, and now it feels like I have to start from scratch just to get there
You get a small increase to your location level for collecting tracks, and more increases for trapping monsters and breaking their parts. But the biggest increase is from killing them. I'm not saying you should just run around hitting monsters for loot and never killing them, just that you can easily farm their GL loot because it drops like candy all the time.

I didn't join other players GLs for a long time, and I regret it because it's awesome and it saves you having to level up your own regions. Just team up and kill stuff and level your MR. You can't fight Nerg until MR100 anyway. You will meet all the other stuff on your way to 100.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I do think the monsters in GL are harder than normal. I hunted Tobi-Kadachi like I normally would in the Ancient Forest and with endgame gear, and I actually came close to carting a few times. Savage Jho also made me cart twice (maybe even thrice, I don't remember) in just a couple of minutes, whereas I don't have trouble staying alive in normal hunts.

Also aside from Rajang, whose GL parts you need for its R12 weapon, the monsters in GL only drop parts that are used to augment your gear. You will still get a few regular mats at the end of the hunt (when you talk to the Handler or end the expedition), but drops and carves are augment-only.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You get a small increase to your location level for collecting tracks, and more increases for trapping monsters and breaking their parts. But the biggest increase is from killing them. I'm not saying you should just run around hitting monsters for loot and never killing them, just that you can easily farm their GL loot because it drops like candy all the time.

I didn't join other players GLs for a long time, and I regret it because it's awesome and it saves you having to level up your own regions. Just team up and kill stuff and level your MR. You can't fight Nerg until MR100 anyway. You will meet all the other stuff on your way to 100.
Okay, hoping it doesn't take too long

I can't help but feel like endgame in other games was handled better

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Also aside from Rajang, whose GL parts you need for its R12 weapon, the monsters in GL only drop parts that are used to augment your gear. You will still get a few regular mats at the end of the hunt (when you talk to the Handler or end the expedition), but drops and carves are augment-only.
Don't forget about endgame charm upgrades. Some of those top-tier charms need GL tempered elder parts, like Handicraft IV and Challenger IV.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I do think the monsters in GL are harder than normal. I hunted Tobi-Kadachi like I normally would in the Ancient Forest and with endgame gear, and I actually came close to carting a few times. Savage Jho also made me cart twice (maybe even thrice, I don't remember) in just a couple of minutes, whereas I don't have trouble staying alive in normal hunts.

It would make sense for the early game monsters to be buffed in GL, so they aren't just tedious cannon fodder. I haven't noticed it myself but I tend to ignore them when they spawn in GL. I did kill some Kulus today to level my wastes. Kulu still seemed like a wimp.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So I got the infinite wisdom glaive.

I thought it had some sort of element, but it says none, or am I reading it wrong?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hmmm is that just equipping a decoration?
You can get it from armor, a charm or decorations. Free Ammo jewels are quite rare, though (unless you already have 3). I think you're better of going for the charm if you really want to unlock the element.

Note that there are tons of weapons with locked elements. Some are quite good, so it never hurts to have the charm in case you need it. That said, the charm requires endgame mats if I'm not mistaken, so it could be a grind to get it.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes but I'd recommend using an Elementless Jewel decoration to boost the raw damage instead of Free Element. It's a 10% damage increase.
Yes but I'd recommend using an Elementless Jewel decoration to boost the raw damage instead of Free Element. It's a 10% damage increase.
Thank you, I did that!!

edit: I am also wondering, the small picture for Infinite wisdom seems to indicate there should be some purple sharpness, but when I go in a hunt it is only white

How come?

Last edited:

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At certain point they should just allow you to buy quest use items like demon drugs , dash jucies or Max potions

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Another question, is the new augment system for Weapons only?

Do I still need streamstones for armor? And is that still just hunting tempered monsters?

I kinda wanna keep on upgrading/augmenting my tigrex set, I want to keep using that free meal and fast eating

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Do I still need streamstones for armor? And is that still just hunting tempered monsters?

I kinda wanna keep on upgrading/augmenting my tigrex set, I want to keep using that free meal and fast eating
Yes you need Spiritstones for armor but only once. So for Elder armors you need Great Spiritstones and those are gotten from Tempered Elder Dragons in Guiding Lands.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

You need the best streamstones for T12 gear, and you can only augment gear once to raise the upgrade limit. But you can augment any gear and raise the armor considerably.

You'll also be able to swap some of the Tigrex gear for stronger Brute Tigrex gear and keep the free meal bonus.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never used it, I don't play any weapons where it'd be that useful. Is it considered essential for some builds, or is it like mega-drugs where it's just a nice bonus?

It's essential for the bow (well, you can live without it as I often do, but it's extremely useful) because when combined when Constitution 3, you get the maximum stamina reduction and can fire more arrows. If you don't have Dash Juice, you can eat for Felyne Black Belt instead, but that of course consumes a voucher.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
It's essential for the bow (well, you can live without it as I often do, but it's extremely useful) because when combined when Constitution 3, you get the maximum stamina reduction and can fire more arrows. If you don't have Dash Juice, you can eat for Felyne Black Belt instead, but that of course consumes a voucher.
You have to invest on a friend with Wide-Range 5 and Mushroomancer 3. :P

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I try to use tailraider safari to get Dash Extract, but you're hardly guaranteed to get it. I think you can meld it as well, but it's relatively expensive.

I'd rather just buy it.

The Coral Orchestra also has a song that grants stamina usage reduction, though it's RNG dependant. Sometimes my palico uses it right away, after the attack and defense boosts, but often it just keeps giving me effects I don't really need.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I wish we could farm Nourishing Extract. Tailrider Safari is super inconsistent. I've been using regular armorskins and demondrugs for a while now.

I guess I'm going on a Kelbi killing spree. I need them horns.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I do that but the farming system is tedious and a holdover from the old games. Just let me buy all that shit.
I agree.

My other idea is to wedge down R2 on the Steamworks while you do other stuff. Press it again when you hear the controller vibrate. You get drugs and max potions aplenty that way. I don't know if you get Dash Juice there but at least it helps with your other problems.

I have like 50000 fuel and it takes forever to use up. I don't know how I got so much.

I wish we could farm Nourishing Extract. Tailrider Safari is super inconsistent. I've been using regular armorskins and demondrugs for a while now.

I guess I'm going on a Kelbi killing spree. I need them horns.
That extra 20 attack/defense is pretty inconsequential in Iceborne. Leave the Kelbis in peace.