• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Rajang is probably my favorite monster in the game right now. Glass cannon, so it's all smooth sailing when you fight him. Tempered or non-tempered doesn't really matter either.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
By the way, do I have to beat Extremoth in my own game to get layered armor? or can I just get the item with helping other players?

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Yeah no kidding, Behemoth is harder than anything I've faced in Master Rank (I'm MR 180 atm)

I get that its supposed to mimic a raid encounter from FF14, and it automatically scales to 4 player HP even if you try to solo/duo? The Wind AoE is also so harsh that it feels like you're being punished as a melee player.

I had already quit the game when this event came out, so I have no idea if I'm missing some mechanic (most likely am). I'll have to look up the proper strategy, and maybe I'll learn to play HBG or Bow for once.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
EX Behemoth was fun with three people, OK with two and extremely frustrating solo. Glad I got the armor last time he was available (even if I have hardly played since, haha).

By the way, do I have to beat Extremoth in my own game to get layered armor? or can I just get the item with helping other players?
I think it doesn't matter since the mat needed for the layered armor is a guaranteed quest reward (unless you join late of course).

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
EX Behemoth was fun with three people, OK with two and extremely frustrating solo. Glad I got the armor last time he was available (even if I have hardly played since, haha).

I think it doesn't matter since the mat needed for the layered armor is a guaranteed quest reward (unless you join late of course).

Thanks.

His health goes down quick with 4 players, but man people need to learn the jump trick. I feel I'm the only one using it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I did Extremoth with HR Gear back in the Anniversary Event.

Dark Devourer Cluster Bombing is good, but co-ordinating with Rando's is very hard.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Yeah no kidding, Behemoth is harder than anything I've faced in Master Rank (I'm MR 180 atm)

I get that its supposed to mimic a raid encounter from FF14, and it automatically scales to 4 player HP even if you try to solo/duo? The Wind AoE is also so harsh that it feels like you're being punished as a melee player.

I had already quit the game when this event came out, so I have no idea if I'm missing some mechanic (most likely am). I'll have to look up the proper strategy, and maybe I'll learn to play HBG or Bow for once.
Behemoth is alway scaled for 4 players. He also has an unique mechanic called Enmity where he will only target a single player after they have dealt a certain amount of hits to him (indicated by a red line between the monster and hunter). This is supposed to make you want to designate one hunter as the "tank" (think MMO strats) and have them on a defensive build to soak attacks while the rest of the party deals damage. Some parties also like having a player with Wide-Range for heals but it's less necessary with MR gear imo.

As for the the whirlwinds when you get the pop up that he is casting the spell, if you're the one being targeted you should be running to the edges of the area. This way when the whirlwind comes out it's generally out of the way for melee users.

Never really liked the fight personally

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Extremoth is finally down. It wasn't even a serious attempt, but the peeps who joined were really good which encouraged me to do my best.

For some reason Extremoth didn't go to the lava areas, but instead went to Nergigante's den.

Never fucking again lol.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the best players in this game are the ones you play with while fighting MR Tempered Lunastra. Just crazy efficient hunting

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I just met the best random player ever while hunting Tempered Namielle in GL.
- Use CB
- Don't even bother/understand with going Red buff.
- Don't even use Savage Axe nor SAED or even AED.
- Spam basic Axe attack the entire hunt, not even sword mode.
- Cart 4 times.
- Ruined the whole Sleep and Yeet me and the other two set by waking the monster with Axe draw attack.
- MR 311.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Finally I was able to kill AT Xeno, of course I had to do it with my MR gear. I still don't understand how you were supposed to do it in your HR gear as a hammer main.

I killed her twice, made the Comission layered armor, so that's goodbye forever AT Xeno, you shitty fight, you.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i spent like 2+ hours (maybe more? I lost track of time pretty quick) in the guiding lands with this dude that had a shit ton of MR Tempered Kirin lures

When i went in i had zero tempered azure horns and when we finished i had 101 of them lol

Last edited:

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
And speaking of shitty fights I don't ever want to do again, I just killed MR Tempered Kush:

EJi4AzAWwAAlReJ

Honestly expected much worse from the stuff I read in this thread. Took me like half an hour but never fainted. Honestly AT Kush was much worse. At least this guy spends time on land.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Got around to getting the Provoker Earring from the MR Arena. Would it have killed them to give it a Level 4 slot? I get that it's not supposed to be the best headpiece in the game given that it seems made for multiplayer, but come on. Also, it's weird that they'd lock a skill to this one armor piece that most players will ignore. How good is Provoker anyway?

Also apparently you get layered Earrings from getting that? It's weird because you can hardly see them, so it's basically just removing your headpiece, which you can already do.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hey all - any tips in leveling 3 GL levels to 7? I am trying to get Coral, Rotten, and Volc there and having some trouble. I can use a billion Odogaron lures for the first two to raise one and not have the other fall, but then there are no good Volc creature lures that have overlap with both, so anytime I am trying to raise Volc, the other two will fall.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Hey all - any tips in leveling 3 GL levels to 7? I am trying to get Coral, Rotten, and Volc there and having some trouble. I can use a billion Odogaron lures for the first two to raise one and not have the other fall, but then there are no good Volc creature lures that have overlap with both, so anytime I am trying to raise Volc, the other two will fall.
This isn't a helpful reply, but what is the point of doing that? I've just been focusing on raising one zone, farming the hell out of the tempered elders, then raising a different zone. I'm going to end with volcanic and just leave that at 7.

Having three maxed out zones would be nice, but it feels like the time investment required to do it isn't worth it.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
It's less about raising the area you want and more about lowering the areas you don't. There is a max on the combined levels in your Guiding Lands so you need your Forest and Wildspire to basically be Level 1 with no bar whatsoever. Just keep hunting monsters that level your desired areas and you will eventually get it. Just expect some of your levels to go between 6 and 7 a few times in the process.

Elider

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Reached and defeated Ruiner Nergigante yesterday. Cool fight, until it started rushdowning me and had me faint two times in a row. Then I felt confident enough to make another attempt at the special assignment for Rajang. It still fucks me up, and the fight is mostly unenjoyable (at least with lance or bow), but I managed to win somehow.

Now for Lunastra…

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Anybody here always buff with immunizer? It's pretty damn good for higher level monsters with a maxed out recovery boost that's 4x recovery to red. Pretty much heal red damage back up nearly instant.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Nergigante set bonus any good? Is it lifesteal per hit, or what?
If it's anything like base World (which I'm 99% sure it is) then it's trash. It's not lifesteal per hit. You heal a set amount of life if you hit the monster enough times in a short window of time. Slower weapons heal more life, but in every case a single health augment will heal more life.

If you get it on your build then it's a nice bonus, but don't aim to get it at the cost of other skills.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Anybody here always buff with immunizer? It's pretty damn good for higher level monsters with a maxed out recovery boost that's 4x recovery to red. Pretty much heal red damage back up nearly instant.
no, but i'm certainly gonna look into that now for Lunastra fights
If it's anything like base World (which I'm 99% sure it is) then it's trash. It's not lifesteal per hit. You heal a set amount of life if you hit the monster enough times in a short window of time. Slower weapons heal more life, but in every case a single health augment will heal more life.

If you get it on your build then it's a nice bonus, but don't aim to get it at the cost of other skills.
ugh, that stinks

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
no, but i'm certainly gonna look into that now for Lunastra fights

yeah I NEVER used it in world, the. I started messing around with it. I think it's lasts at least 3 mins,
Also I finally found out how all the attack/defense powders/drinks work and my mind in blown lol.
I drink a demon drug and Armor drug before the bigger hunt now then dust up and eat a seed and immunize before battle then just apply the buffs in between when I can.
immunize + recovery Speed maxed is really good. I may also pair it where I can with super recovery when I get that armor and see how fast it adds health back.

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I may also pair it where I can with super recovery when I get that armor and see how fast it adds health back.
I never go on a hunt without the Vaal Hazak set, and maaaaan lemme tell you, to bring out the max potential you need lvl 3 recovery and recovery speed (which, conveniently, all fit on hazak arms if you have a level 4 recovery gem)

the health you recover is still small since it kinda has to be, but it makes a huge difference when you take a hit and realize you don't have to potion up as much

also recovery speed max is important because if you don't have it then it defaults to the normal recovery speed when you have red health

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
I never go on a hunt without the Vaal Hazak set, and maaaaan lemme tell you, to bring out the max potential you need lvl 3 recovery and recovery speed (which, conveniently, all fit on hazak arms if you have a level 4 recovery gem)

the health you recover is still small since it kinda has to be, but it makes a huge difference when you take a hit and realize you don't have to potion up as much

also recovery speed max is important because if you don't have it then it defaults to the normal recovery speed when you have red health

Blackveil Vaal + Gold Rathian gear is borderline OP if you slap in the right decos.

The set I use in particular is by no means perfect, but it keeps me alive against a lot of stuff.
It's overkill for most monsters except for like T3 Tempered Monsters and whatnot.

(It's kinda ok for Luna...problem with her is that her Supernova does a LOT of damage very quickly, so unless you have a Fireproof Mantle on, have very high Fire Resist, or pop some Astra Jerky, it can be really easy to fall to it.)

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Blackveil Vaal + Gold Rathian gear is borderline OP if you slap in the right decos.
Absolutely, I'm running both in my LS setup. Not at home so I can't share the deco setup I have, but they're more for QOL than anything. I might have to copy/tinker with yours.

I tried making a Luna version last night but by the time I finished it I noticed how late at night it was and had to get in bed. Might see if I can test it later tonight.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Two Gold Rathian investigations. 1st one gives me a large gold crown, 2nd gives me a small. Tonight's been a good night.
I never found Super Recovery to be all that useful. Most of the attacks are powerful enough to require healing with an item because you won't recover the health fast enough to be out of KO range in a reasonable time, and if the attacks are weak (or it's DoT) then usually a health augment is enough to keep me topped off.

Divine Blessing 5 is nuts though. Losing only 1/3 of your bar from Tempered Bazel's super move is insane, even if you can't rely on it.

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

The set I use in particular is by no means perfect, but it keeps me alive against a lot of stuff.
It's overkill for most monsters except for like T3 Tempered Monsters and whatnot.

(It's kinda ok for Luna...problem with her is that her Supernova does a LOT of damage very quickly, so unless you have a Fireproof Mantle on, have very high Fire Resist, or pop some Astra Jerky, it can be really easy to fall to it.)
Finally home, here's what I'm currently using. Like I said, it's mainly for QOL, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017

Blackveil is great for Lance. It really helps to heal the chip damage. Combining with gold rath is even better.
I have a super-defensive anti-rath* set which gives me enough fire/poison/recovery/blessing bonuses that I can calmly fight them with very little risk of fainting and just passively heal back the fire-pool, chip and divine-protected damage. Theoretical max DPS isn't good, but I can hit a lot more if I rarely have to sheath to heal.

Gold rath bonus is incredibly useful for all weapons. I'm finding it to be incredibly useful in general purpose sets for the GL. Especially now I've found some Lv4 [something useful]/protection jewels.

Professor Beef

Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
You should get the Razor Sharp charm. It'll do more good for you than 3 points of Handicraft.
for a minute i thought you were talking about the skill that stops sharpness loss after you sharpen, but this is something else lmao

i have this on my soulfire lash styx so yeah i'll definitely try it out instead (if i beat the quest that gave it to me, i forget)

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I had a go with the Shara horn last night. I don't think I'm good enough with the horn to use it on tempered elders, but it's great fun to SOS into a lower level guiding lands with. The new note and buffs in Iceborne make it a much more fun weapon to use.
The songs on the Shara horn are great. You can get to Attack L and Defence XL via multiple combos, plus stamina drain reduction, ALL wind negated, and a stamina/recovery boost echo thing. That's just incredibly useful for all hunts.
Sharpness is it's only weakness, but horn hits slow and hard so a bit of handicraft should be fine. I need to check if the spin-note attack causes multiple sharpness hits though.
It also has a cool and unique Indian toot sound.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently we're getting news of the December update this coming Sunday. I'd post a link to the tweet, but it's only on the Japanese MonHun twitter.

Still betting that it's Fatalis as a siege monster like Kulve. Follows the timeline we got with the base game (non-elder invader > fan weapons > siege monster and 1st fesitval) and Capcom said they wanted to have a new Kulve-like experience in Iceborne.