• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 26, 2018
So now, what should Capcom do to push even more the franchise in the west and rival the big western multiplayer titles?

I would say they need to fix the early game multiplayer as the first thing... not being able to co-op with your friends or strangers without having to go into missions, trigger a cutscene and then quitting out is baffling.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Is it just this generation? Can't think of any other non first party Japanese game that did 8.3m in 8 months, SF2 sure as hell didn't without updated versions, and neither did RE5. That maybe only leave Tekken 3 and FF7 but I doubt there's solid data of how fast they passed 8 millions, still, neither of which reached +10m in 8 months!

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Fastest selling Japanese 3rd party title ever, surely? I don't know of any other Japanese third party titles that have sold 10 million copies within their first 6 months on the market.

I mean, shit, have any of Nintendo's for that matter outside of Pokémon?

Oct 27, 2017
Please, stop with this bullshit on hating in handhelds. It's ridiculous. Even more when the series already was a phenomenon because of those very handhelds in Japan for years and building fanbase along the years in the west with later a Monster Hunter game having a real marketing push in the west with MHW.

No one is hating on handhelds, but it is pretty ironic to be told for years that a console MH wouldn't never sell because it would split the user base and fail and then go on to become Capcom's highest selling title ever eclipsing the handheld games. Even a Nintendo led marketing campaign for the handheld versions couldn't reach those heights.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. If we say some titles are better on handhelds, then let this game be proof that some titles are better on home consoles. Next time don't spend years fucking around Capcom.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Seems well deserved. And people were worried about them going console and making it more Western when the rumors first hit. Seems they knew exactly what they needed to do, and struck gold.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
It's the first time I've really gotten into a Mon Hun game.
I've already put in around twenty hours, so addictive.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved. If we say some titles are better on handhelds, then let this game be proof that some titles are better on home consoles. Next time don't spend years fucking around Capcom.

They didn't fuck around, this game popularity exploded on handheld ( in case you forgot original MH was released on Playstation as a console game ). At that time when network on console was not that great and game like that only sell on handheld in japanese market. And it's not that the game completely absent from console, there were multiple console releases in the past too. Everything has its time, and the game might not get the same reception releasing 5 years ago.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is hating on handhelds, but it is pretty ironic to be told for years that a console MH wouldn't never sell because it would split the user base and fail and then go on to become Capcom's highest selling title ever eclipsing the handheld games. Even a Nintendo led marketing campaign for the handheld versions couldn't reach those heights.

No, they definitely are and in this post as well. If there's two things that I hate about this community is the fact that people ignore handhelds and since MHW, people calling it "handheld ghetto" and that shit.

Oct 27, 2017
OP is asking about the future of the franchise. I don't think hoping for future, non-existent games without existing specified platforms to come to certain platforms is port begging

Lol, it's not even Nintendo's game nor were they publishers in the West. It wasn't reasonable to expect or even have them put in the same marketing that Capcom would when for Capcom, this is one of their tentpole franchises

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ResetERA
sarcastic and not serious
community rankings:

PC users
>
>
>
>
>
Console users
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Mobile users
>
>
>
>
>
>
Handheld users

We're sorry

Thanks for the sarcastic response but I know very well how handhelds are treated for years with games on it being ignored, the own devices being in the same as well, rpgs and japanese games on the 7th generation and titles from japanese publishers being ignored on arguments about quality and output and all. Of course, I'm talking about the general community on internet, not only here even if here is the same.

Oct 27, 2017
I would not have guessed this pre e3 2017. I am so happy to see monster hunter doing well in the west and on consoles again. It could honestly hit 12 or even 15 million depending on support

I hope they make a major expansion with more new plus returning monsters, maybe on a unique new local. Price it $20 to $30 and release it in 2019 in place of a ultimate version though they could still sell a complete version with any paid dlc as monster hunter world ultimate if they wanted to

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't fuck around, this game popularity exploded on handheld ( in case you forgot original MH was released on Playstation as a console game ). At that time when network on console was not that great and game like that only sell on handheld in japanese market. And it's not that the game completely absent from console, there were multiple console releases in the past too. Everything has its time, and the game might not get the same reception releasing 5 years ago.
They fucked around by not presenting a serious effort to the larger western market like they should have. MH has been a japan focused, and thus handheld focus, series for years. As such its popularity has been largely limited to japan. Which led Capcom to believe for far too long that the product that they were selling in japan was good enough for everyone else. It's no longer a question just how much more reach MH has gained by catering to the western market and on the hardware they prefer.