• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
We just need an official PR from CAPCOM, but we already know, 8.3 million copies from PS4/One and 2 million copies in the first 5 days on PC/Steam.

Going by these numbers, MHW is the fastest selling 3rd party japanese title of this generation, and it's more impressive because MHW managed to top a well recognized franchise in the west, such as Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, the latest entry in the MGS series shipped 6 million copies as of January 29th 2016, while FF XV sold 7.7 million copies.

So now, what should Capcom do to push even more the franchise in the west and rival the big western multiplayer titles?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Well deserved, it's one of the best games of this gen IMO.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Not even sure it can be topped. Things that come immediately to mind are kh3 and ff7.

Only ff7 would have a chance but not if episodic.
....and it'd have to release this gen
Plus it's timed exclusivity

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The answer is quality and budget. For too long Capcom tried to cut corners with lower budgets and out sourcing projects. Also didn't have as much faith in their internal develolers to produce games that would be a success globally. Thankfully Capcom is out of that rut and back to making good games. MHW, REmake 2/RE7 and DMC5 are on the right path, their next fighting game and other IP revivals have to follow suit.

Capcom should also not worry about the annual AAA games too much. That was the trap they fell into before, they should provide what they do the best which is focus on game play first and foremost. And that's also exactly what they are doing only now they are also focusing on their games looking visually amazing too.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
We just need an official PR from CAPCOM, but we already know, 8.3 million copies from PS4/One and 2 million copies in the first 5 days on PC/Steam.

Going by these numbers, MHW is the fastest selling 3rd party japanese title of this generation, and it's more impressive because MHW managed to top a well recognized franchise in the west, such as Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, the latest entry in the MGS series shipped 6 million copies as of January 29th 2016, while FF XV sold 7.7 million copies.

So now, what should Capcom do to push even more the franchise in the west and rival the big western multiplayer titles?

They need to make a sequel that doesn't dip in sales and can sell for a long time. Also, not to port beg, but I do think they need to bring the entire MH community to the party next time (whether that be a sequel to world or MH5) in this day and age, there is little reason for such a large game to be exclusive or exclude a large userbase, when all of these platforms can run the same code. I am worried about MH's draw in the west, MHW was an event, but I feel like a sequel will not be seen with nearly the same hype level.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Not even sure it can be topped. Things that come immediately to mind are kh3 and ff7.

Only ff7 would have a chance but not if episodic.
....and it'd have to release this gen
Plus it's timed exclusivity
KH3 won't sell more than FFXV in let's say its first year. You can have my account banned for a month if I'm wrong.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
now, what should Capcom do to push even more the franchise in the west and rival the big western multiplayer titles?

More GAAS like approach to keep the game going with players invested, basically more free playable content at a faster pace and more focus on cosmetic DLC to keep revenue flowing. It probably requires more manpower but investing in that stuff would pay off I feel.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The best selling japanese third-party game ever was Final Fantasy VII which shipped 9.81M units on PS1 (with the PC version, the total is a bit higher).
MHW is likely to become the best selling third-party japanese game ever*.
Excluding Nintendo published games, very few japanese games have ever sold more than 10M units (Sonic 1, GT1, GT3, GT4, GT5, FFVII but only if PC sales are included).

* I'm talking about the original release.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
They need to make a sequel that doesn't dip in sales and can sell for a long time. Also, not to port beg, but I do think they need to bring the entire MH community to the party next time (whether that be a sequel to world or MH5) in this day and age, there is little reason for such a large game to be exclusive or exclude a large userbase, when all of these platforms can run the same code. I am worried about MH's draw in the west, MHW was an event, but I feel like a sequel will not be seen with nearly the same hype level.
LOL surejan.gif

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved success and fantastic reboot of a long running series.
And yeah, I hope they have more contents rolling out, Behemoth fight was really good.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Give me g rank and I'll happily hand over another hundred bucks as I'm sure a lot will.

Awesome game that deserves its success, I've been disappointed on the content follow through but can't fault the game itself.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Finally Monster Hunter has crept out of the handheld shadow into the big leagues.

Hopefully a G Rank announcement is at TGS.

If World 2 appears down the line, it should come on all systems and crossplay it.

Also just for laughs, Capcom should make a legacy version of MH Generations/X/Ultimate OT whatever they call UT as a digital download only project for home consoles. I still think there is room for MH expanding Into new directions but also keeping hold of the old school.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You're right, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate should definitely be on all consoles and PC, since they all have the power to run that same code.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
such as Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, the latest entry in the MGS series shipped 6 million copies as of January 29th 2016, while FF XV sold 7.7 million copies.
Both of those entries were bad which is why they only sold that much.

Also lol at the legs comments, those medi create threads are a laugh.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably going to be the best selling third party game if it surpasses Street Fighter 2 that has 14 million with all of the versions.

Finally Monster Hunter has crept out of the handheld shadow into the big leagues.

Hopefully a G Rank announcement is at TGS.

If World 2 appears down the line, it should come on all systems and crossplay it.

Also just for laughs, Capcom should make a legacy version of MH Generations/X/Ultimate OT whatever they call UT as a digital download only project for home consoles. I still think there is room for MH expanding Into new directions but also keeping hold of the old school.

Please, stop with this bullshit on hating in handhelds. It's ridiculous. Even more when the series already was a phenomenon because of those very handhelds in Japan for years and building fanbase along the years in the west with later a Monster Hunter game having a real marketing push in the west with MHW.

Both of those entries were bad which is why they only sold that much.

Also lol at the legs comments, those medi create threads are a laugh.

Bad or good have no such relation to those sales. This is subjective after all. Marketing, appeal, brand and many other aspects are actually important for it.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I agree with you, they should release Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate on PC and consoles ASAP. Running it at higher resolutions will make the game look decent enough and a huge amount of players will be able to check out a more old school MH version.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The game I'm talking about doesn't exist yet?
You're right, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate should definitely be on all consoles and PC, since they all have the power to run that same code.
Honestly, I don't see a problem with this. I am only thinking from a sales perspective, and MHGU isn't really the game/spinoff Capcom is looking to push in the west. Also, everything but first party, should come to PC IMO.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think those steam numbers are off.

I would surprised if it did that well on Steam that quick and it's probably steamSpys new method being weird.

Once the game hits 10 million Capcom will probably have a press release tho.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you, they should release Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate on PC and consoles ASAP. Running it at higher resolutions will make the game look decent enough and a huge amount of players will be able to check out a more old school MH version.

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is already on a console.

Sadire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 31, 2017
Well deserved indeed, I've already clocked about 30 hours.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
We moved from leg concern to sequel concern.

I mean for any franchise the sequel will be a concern if the company doesn't follow through no?

I'm worried that Capcom may cheapen out for the sequel and I hope they do not. Content for this type of game is absolutely important. Also I hope they make PC a priority as well.

Edit: lol at the handheld hate

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved.

Capcom has really turned around this Gen and their focus on bigger budget games is great.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

Let's not beat around the bush. The Switch would have a hard time running MHW in any acceptable state. You want a sequel to be built with a lower power base in mind? I think it would be a bad idea that could potentially lead to a technically regressive title. If anything, I expect the sequel to target next gen which leaves the Switch even further behind.

Dedicated titles from the ground up for Switch is the way to go, using some of the assets etc from World if viable. I think that's exactly how this will go down!

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
I mean for any franchise the sequel will be a concern if the company doesn't follow through no?

I'm worried that Capcom may cheapen out for the sequel and I hope they do not. Content for this type of game is absolutely important. Also I hope they make PC a priority as well.

Edit: lol at the handheld hate
They will reuse these monster models for 3 generations so I am not worried about content next game.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
you know..i had my serious doubts going into this game. shoddy port, delayed...but i caved in on sunday. Boy is it fucking fun. I havent had this much fun in a long time in games. Glad i bought it. 1080ti also running silky smooth at 60fps all maxed out at 1440p.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not beat around the bush. The Switch would have a hard time running MHW in any acceptable state. You want a sequel to be built with a lower power base in mind? I think it would be a bad idea that could potentially lead to a technically regressive title. If anything, I expect the sequel to target next gen which leaves the Switch even further behind.

Dedicated titles from the ground up for Switch is the way to go, using some of the assets etc from World if viable. I think that's exactly how this will go down!

Sure, if the Switch can't handle the game, it shouldn't get it. I haven't really seen a game that the Switch couldn't run though, I mean from a technical standpoint, Open world games like Fortnite are much harder to run than something like MHW, and if we are talking about graphics, I think Doom Eternal looks far superior to something like MHW. If the Switch can't run it, I agree, but the reason MHW didn't come to Switch is because it's development predated the Switch and those games were never in consideration for Switch, with the Switch's popularity growing, I think it makes sense to bring a MH game to all platforms, why would they make one only for Switch, when going multiplat with one would only grow their user base and stop dividing it. This actually is what happened to Sega after the Dreamcast, they split their userbase with exclusives on every platform, throwing their fans into a chaotic mess. If you wanted to play every sonic game, you had to own a GBA, Gamecube, and Xbox/PS2, this continued into the 6th gen with games like unleashed and colors. It wasn't smart for Sega then, and it's not smart for Capcom now.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Can we get DD Online PUH-LEEEZ!? C'mon Capcom, you have money to burn now. They're sitting on quite a few good IPs and I really hope this encourages them to bring more over.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

Give World G-Rank, and keep releasing future games on multiple platforms. Cross-play would help too. Maybe start doing some Monster Hunter events in the US too, the ones in Japan look like they are a ton of fun to attend.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Not too surprised it's the best selling 3rd party Japanese game, when both FFXV and MGSV came out as incomplete experiences to their fanbases, and had pretty long dev times that drove them into release on the next generation of consoles.

Monster Hunter World, despite not being a graphical powerhouse, feels stuffed with content, and being on more powerful hardware made basic improvements to the structure of the game. They shaved off tedious aspects of the previous entries, made it work decently online, and keep getting the game brought up in media through free event-based updates people seem to like.

If they wanna push the franchise more to the west, I'd keep up with the quality of life improvements. I think creating and joining online games could be faster/easier, it's dumb that I can't just go through the story missions with friends, but only invite them after I watch the cutscenes, and maybe in the late game create some systems that allow players to better their chances towards specific monster pieces they need. They could add more monsters, more weapon types, and improve the graphical fidelity now that I'd assume they'd have more money for a sequel. Would love to see the different traversal stuff like grappling hooks and gliding matter more in combat, create more diverse behavior patterns for monsters (or their later game versions), and maybe just add some new pillar to the game like elemental interactions ala Divinity: Original Sin 1-2 where I could lay a monster into a bay of fire or have a chance to slip on ice. My dumb off the top of my head ideas, but they could probably do one bigger and better sequel before people would likely want some new gimmick or major system to change up the game (or at least I would).

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It's a crazy success, honestly. I was optimistic it would do decently outside of Japan (way ahead of past MHs), but I sure as heck didn't expect this level of success. PC sales in particular seem to be absolutely bonkers, despite the long ass delay.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, if the Switch can't handle the game, it shouldn't get it. I haven't really seen a game that the Switch couldn't run though, I mean from a technical standpoint, Open world games like Fortnite are much harder to run than something like MHW, and if we are talking about graphics, I think Doom Eternal looks far superior to something like MHW. If the Switch can't run it, I agree, but the reason MHW didn't come to Switch is because it's development predated the Switch and those games were never in consideration for Switch, with the Switch's popularity growing, I think it makes sense to bring a MH game to all platforms, why would they make one only for Switch, when going multiplat with one would only grow their user base and stop dividing it. This actually is what happened to Sega after the Dreamcast, they split their userbase with exclusives on every platform, throwing their fans into a chaotic mess. If you wanted to play every sonic game, you had to own a GBA, Gamecube, and Xbox/PS2, this continued into the 6th gen with games like unleashed and colors. It wasn't smart for Sega then, and it's not smart for Capcom now.

I do agree that the game was too far into development to make a Switch port realistic, but I don't agree with your "Switch can run anything" sentiment. Fortnite and Doom are both games targetting 60fps on the other consoles, which gives way more headroom than a game like MHW. It's clear from PC performance that it's quite a demanding game. Maybe down to optimisation, maybe the engine itself just isn't up to the task (MT Framework is pretty ancient now). I agree the new Doom looks way better... But that doesn't mean it is more resource intensive.

But yeah, wherever possible third party games should reach for as many platforms as possible. Because why not? But it's an easier proposition when porting to a more poweful platform, instead of a less powerful platforn.

GitarooMan

Oct 27, 2017
Someone at Square is probably questioning why they aren't developing a PC version of KH3 this week.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get around to playing more of this. I just got the PS4 version the other day and played through the first quest, I really need to get used to the feel of play.

I'm so glad it has risen out of it's obscurity.

Now get out of my hunts noobs!!

What a welcoming attitude for the franchise.

Last edited: