• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Alright,

1. Please keep this thread civilized. We are just 6 pages in and this thread not only generated too many reports already but seems to shift into another shitfest between PlayStation and Nintendo fans. Mr.Tsujimoto gave a good explanation about why MHW would be difficult to pull off on Switch and I think those statements can be discussed without y'all getting angry at each other.
2. Just because game X runs on system Y doesn't mean that game Z will run on system Y as well - I feel like we should look at Monster Hunter World itself instead of looking at other games that might have a bigger scope but lack other features of MHW.
3. Knock it off with the personal attacks and report inappropriate behaviour when you see it.
4. Do not just post/tease "insider information" if you haven't been properly checked by ZhugeEx.

I'll keep my expectations low for this thread, but I hope that we won't have to close it early just because of platform wars bullshit and ignorance regarding the technical realities of both the Switch and MHW.

https://www.dualshockers.com/monste...h-port-difficult-according-capcoms-president/

Since the announcement of Monster Hunter World, many requested a port for Nintendo Switch, but according to Capcom President and Chief Operating Officer Haruhiro Tsujimoto, it would be problematic, as he explained in an interview published this morning by Toyo Keizai Online.

Tsujimoto-san explains that the game was developed for home consoles and PC because there are limits to what portable consoles can display, and the developers desired to create a game that went back to the drawing board with state-of-the-art tech, answering to the expectations of gamers.

Last edited:

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I can understand why. That game looks gorgeous on current systems and it would take a huge hit in resolution and graphics to get just 30 fps on switch. Maybe we should push for XX to be localized instead.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
It isn't stable enough already, they'd have the Switch version run terribly

maybe Switch will get a different MH game

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that obvious if you have eyes and a brain? Who is even asking for that?

Deleted member 33382

User request account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Stock answers of

"Well they're not going to announce it before PC as no-one would buy it then"
"Sony's timed exclusivity deal would be broken if they announced it"
"Switch would be perfect for MH, there's no reason Switch couldn't handle it"

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
That was obvious from the start, i don't know why people are skill asking honestly.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Um, don't make 1:1 MHW for switch, make a MH suited for the switch. Just like you made a resident evil suited for the 3DS Instead of trying pointlessly to port RE5 to it.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Seems fairly obvious to me. If PS4 and Xb1 have framedrops from 1080 / 900p / when using dynamic resolutions there is simply no way that Switch would be able to hit 30 without pretty major compromises. Not just resolution.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I think they'll probably bring back something like the 'Portable' moniker and make the eventual Switch game a Portable 3rd-like.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
This is obvious but switch owners keep asking and asking. It's a handheld with a TV output. They need to keep their expectations in check or they'll be disappointed everytime something like this happens, which may be a lot.

megaStryke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
California
I mean, would his answer be any different if they were in the early stages of working on a port but simply couldn't announce anything yet?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Most people - at least on Resetera - knew this already and whenever we talk about a MH for Switch its about a exclusive 5th. Gen game based on MHW. A straight up port was never in the cards.

Capcom and Nintendo would wanna go all out marketing wise on a Switch MH and not be limited by whatever arrangements they already have with Sony for MHW.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind they've tried or are still trying really hard to get it on Switch.

If they say it can't be done I believe them. Its a shame but I'm sure Capcom wants it just as much as we do.

Its still possible that it will come but if it never does I don't blame them for lack of trying.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It would look and run like shit. It isn't even stable on PS4 PRO.
Switch might get it's own game in the future.

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
a056a6297b3ee2cb8687931a94ae82c2127c66c18ac13c283df9a80482396cdf.jpg

I honestly can't imagine starting over fresh, but I may have to say fuck it should it actually happen.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Seems fairly obvious to me. If PS4 and Xb1 have framedrops from 1080 / 900p / when using dynamic resolutions there is simply no way that Switch would be able to hit 30 without pretty major compromises. Not just resolution.

I agree that Switch wouldn't run the current game well. I don't believe that we know the bottlenecks but it's not an overall performance problem hurting the consoles.

I believe if Capcom doesn't come up with a Monster Hunter game on the Switch, they are leaving money on the table that another developer will pick up. The series has become a portable, local affair for a while in Japan, so there is an itch not scratched in that 3 million user base. There is a competitive reason why Microsoft continues to distribute Minecraft on all platforms, it doesn't leave safe havens for clones to become popular, Monster Hunter is at risk IMO.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
If they release a spin-off MonHun series for the switch following from the last handheld version I might be tempted to get one. From the posts on Era from MonHun vets, World seems like Baby's first hunting game and that really does not make me want to get it when the PC version hits.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Capcom could probably make a cheap buck by using the MonHun XX engine they ported over and use all of the assets they have created. They could probably add better shadows, new lightning and a bit of gameplay tweaks

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Sad thing in these comments is that they still kinda view Switch as something exotic with a different userbase. If they still have to cling to such comments, or rather want to, then i don't know what to expect from them outside of smaller games.

Just don't make me beg for a localization for the Ace Attorney games, Capcom ...

I have no idea how many times they have to say it before people finally get it.

Good grief. If they wanted to make it work, they could. Other devs on a similar scalable engine could make DOOM work and somehow are confident enough to even tackle the more demanding Wolfenstein. There's is so much more to what makes a port viable than just statements about what target-platform in mind it was made with. Budget, resources, engine, scalability, financial perspective, technical support are things to consider next to the simple spec comparison.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's impossible to make a 1:1 port, this can't be argued, but a Doom Switch version like port is not really impossible, if Capcom is really interested in porting it. Of course, it would have significants downgrades but still be a significant seller.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Just make a Switch-specific one, it doesn't have to be a port.

This. I am fairly certain Switch's huge success so far means that we will definitely see MH on it at some point. I think it's highly unlikely to be a port of World though. More likely it will be an experience tailored to the Switch specifically.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just localize XX already

Or do a World portable. Switch is perfectly capable of moving Open world games. I think it's worth a shot.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Difficult but not impossible? Well at any rate they see Switch doing really well and they can scale back their production budget, that was the whole reason Tri ended up on Wii right?

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah framerate struggles even on base PS4 when the screen gets busy.
I think it would be best if they made a specifc version for Switch that actually runs well and better suited for portable play.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sad thing in these comments is that they still kinda view Switch as something exotic with a different userbase. If they still have to cling to such comments, or rather want to, then i don't know what to expect from them outside of smaller games.

You also have to remember that we are talking about 100m PS4/XBO + PC vs. like 15m Switches.
It took 4 years for Capcom to deliver MH to this current-gen of systems - they wont downgrade everything they worked on so far just to make MHW and MHWG work on Switch. Game already suffers on the base systems - they will likely try to future proof the IP even more with additions to the PC release and a G-Release on OneX/PS4Pro.

Switch would always have to get his own series/spin-off. Unless Capcom is willing to wait 2-3 years for a more powerful Switch to be released...but i doubt it.

Shirke

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They really should have just localized XX when it came out last year, it would have been relatively cheap since it was an updated rerelease of a game they already localized and would have garnered more goodwill than not doing anything for portable MH outside of Japan, plus more mindshare is always good. Now people are wondering whether or not the future of portable MH is question.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Capcom could probably make a cheap buck by using the MonHun XX engine they ported over and use all of the assets they have created. They could probably add better shadows, new lightning and a bit of gameplay tweaks

It's like damn near the same engine as the next gen version. It's just MT Framework mobile. You may as well use the regular version or port some of the features of the full version to the mobile version.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Capcom's careful study of the Switch's mystical characteristics brings them to the conclusion that the platform is fit for Capcom Vs. SNK 3, Darkstalkers 3, Megaman Legends 3, a new Breath of Fire or Power Stone 3.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the switch although an amazing console is far below the power required to play modern games....

I really hope we get super powered one soon, but I doubt it.....

Icekilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch already has a MW game which is probably better then world but Capcom is too cheap to bring it over. Hopefully Nintendo picks up the slack and releases it overseas.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As long as the Switch gets a MH game on-par with the gameplay improvements and quality of World there shouldn't be any issues. It will not be the same graphically at all but MH has not needed that to be very successful on Nintendo before and it should be similar for MH on Switch. Hopefully it releases next year.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
However, considering "various conditions," it would be difficult to port Monster Hunter World to Nintendo Switch

I might be wrong but to me this doesn't really translate as "Due to the Switch's specs we can't port it/ would be difficult to port it", which they could have said clearly.
I think the wording quite important (but it could be a case of thing lost in translation)

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really should have just localized XX when it came out last year, it would have been relatively cheap since it was an updated rerelease of a game they already localized and would have garnered more goodwill than not doing anything for portable MH outside of Japan, plus more mindshare is always good. Now people are wondering whether or not the future of portable MH is question.

Yeah, this right here was Capcom's most baffling decision. MHW I am perfectly find with being a game for consoles. What I didn't find alright was the complete breaking off point Capcom seemingly had with the Nintendo Switch, especially sending off MHXX to die and insulting us by claiming it was a test...a test that was required to be finished only in Japan.

The other thing I have seen is this idea that Monster Hunter belongs on consoles and that any portable game would somehow...i don't know, poison the series? Despite a portable entry not doing that before? Like I said, I am more than fine with MHW being a console-only game. It's clearly built to be one. There's a quite different story among those here who insist that every game must stay on consoles then cite some bullshit console warriors excuse for why.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
You also have to remember that we are talking about 100m PS4/XBO + PC vs. like 15m Switches.
It took 4 years for Capcom to deliver MH to this current-gen of systems - they wont downgrade everything they worked on so far just to make MHW and MHWG work on Switch. Game already suffers on the base systems - they will likely try to future proof the IP even more with additions to the PC release and a G-Release on OneX/PS4Pro.

Switch would always have to get his own series/spin-off. Unless Capcom is willing to wait 2-3 years for a more powerful Switch to be released...but i doubt it.

That particular quote of my post was more intended as a general statement, not really aimed at MH. Outside of numbers, what's the difference between Switch owners and others? I'd like to argue there is none. And that's where my issue lies with these answers.

As long as i can get another portable MH within a *reasonable* timeframe, i'm fine. I just can't play grindy games on consoles anymore due to work, wife and children. There's a reason why FE Heroes is currently my most played game ...