Monster Hunter: World |OT3| Generations Ahead

Oct 25, 2017
I've lost count over how many of the big boys have busted my ass, but tonight it was the fart dragon as part of the events that I missed from inactivity (The Deathly Quiet Curtain).

How the crap do I even get the lvl 2/3 decorations? The majority I have are level 1s.

Also what do you mean by maxing out defense and augments? If you're talking about maxing out armor through the blacksmith I always do that.
Deathly Quiet Curtain is an Arch Tempered Vaal. You'll need Effluvia Resist 3 and preferably Vaal set recovery bonus.

In order to get level 3 of a skill, you put 3x decoration into the armor slot.

After you max out the defense at the blacksmith, there's another option called augment equipment. It will remove the max defense upgrade limit and open it up for further upgrade. Your defense should be slightly below 500 to even attempt an arch tempered mob.

Oct 25, 2017
But can someone please tell me what in the shit am I supposed to do to keep dying in one hit against Rank 9 monsters? Am I supposed to be wearing the highest possible DEF gear I can, or gear with the highest resistance to whatever the monster is? If it's a dragon that shoots fire, should I be wearing Dragon resistant armor or fire resistant?
Element resistance is only good against certain moves, not certain monsters.

For example, Dragon Resist only works on moves that cause Dragon Blight (which would be Jho and Xeno's breath attacks). Rule of thumb: if it causes the status ailment associated with that element, then elemental resistance will help.

This means that a lot of elemental resistances will be completely worthless. There's only 1 water and 1 ice monster in the game right now, so those stats are basically useless.

For most of the monsters, focus on raw defense. Unless it's stuff like Lunastra or Kirin, elemental resistance doesn't help that much

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the trial version ahead of starting the full game, I wasn't aware of just how extensive the QoL/anti-frustration changes were. I was already aware of things like chugging potions while moving, seeing combo paths in the upper-right corner, and scoutflies replacing paintballs from my time with the beta, but had no idea about nets and pickaxes no longer having grades of quality in addition to no longer breaking (blanked on remembering that whetstones were unlimited). Not complaining though, just found it interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the trial version ahead of starting the full game, I wasn't aware of just how extensive the QoL/anti-frustration changes were. I was already aware of things like chugging potions while moving, seeing combo paths in the upper-right corner, and scoutflies replacing paintballs from my time with the beta, but had no idea about nets and pickaxes no longer having grades of quality in addition to no longer breaking (blanked on remembering that whetstones were unlimited). Not complaining though, just found it interesting.
Tell me about it...I couldn't go back to MHGU after this (regardless of "number of monsters")

On the subject of food, I always just pick the Chef's choice option. I have no idea how to customize dishes to suit my specific needs, combining random ingredients doesn't seem to do anything.
You don't need to learn to customise dishes, but there are loads of preset meals and if you need elemental resist or defence you can choose them. Then just eat a max potion to get the HP you would have gotten from Chef's Choice.

I.....I must have missed this.

That uh...yeah that's something I should look into. I either forgot this was a thing or missed it entirely.

Edit: it doesn’t show up. how do I unlock this?
Augments don't unlock until you get a weapon streamstone. Grind out some tempered elder dragons.

Oct 25, 2017
How the crap do I even get the lvl 2/3 decorations? The majority I have are level 1s.
The tempered monsters are divided in tiers, you can check which tier they are at their required Hunting Rank: HR 13 for tier 1, HR30 for tier 2 and HR50 (tempered elder dragons) for tier 3. The last two tiers give better decorations (if your RNG is good), and streamstones to augment your weapons. (better chances with tempered elder dragons though).

Oct 26, 2017
The tempered monsters are divided in tiers, you can check which tier they are at their required Hunting Rank: HR 13 for tier 1, HR30 for tier 2 and HR50 (tempered elder dragons) for tier 3. The last two tiers give better decorations (if your RNG is good), and streamstones to augment your weapons. (better chances with tempered elder dragons though).
Okay, but as mentioned above, I shouldn’t even bother with tier 3 hunts until I augment my armor.

And since the stones are more likely to drop from the tier 3 hunts, then that makes things...difficult.

Oct 25, 2017
Tried Behemoth for the first time yesterday. He isn' that hard mechanically. I watched Arekkz' guide before tackling him, and most people that join know what they are doing.
That said, I still haven't beat him. I have a problem sheathing my weapon (went at him with my Kulve sleep lance) in time to run to the comet to hide before Ecliptic Meteor hits.
We got him to the last area the last time I tried yesterday, I died while running to the comet - and as I lay dying the notice popped that Behetmoth was slain - but Duty failed nonetheless :(