• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rumi

Oct 26, 2017
Will the EU ver of this game work on my NA one x? I wasn't paying attention to which ver I was buying on amazon and it arrived today. I'm wondering if it's worth opening or if I should just send it back?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If you're getting annoyed about that, try canceling into the foresight slash with the little poke attack that the LS has. It's the fastest attack it has and it's not to hard to do a quick poke into a slash when you're just standing around waiting for the monster to attack.
I've been working on incorporating that. The main issue has been developing the patience for that added level of precision as opposed to the usual habit of rolling (or otherwise fade slashing) out of the way while attacking instead. Taking a big hit by being just slightly off when adapting to the timing of a large monster's attack patterns in trying to stay on the offensive when I've been getting better results just guarding hits for small amounts of chip damage w/Gunlance has factored into that. Then there's the fact that Charge Blade does have a means of triggering guard point from a neutral position, but I've preferred the more straightforward nature of Long Sword.

Won't give up on it, but I have been second-guessing it in some ways lately.

Last edited:

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played in a good six months. Anyone know if there have been events with a large gold crown B Diablos or L gold crown Kirin? Only crowns I need since the Devil Pickle launch. Grinded for 60 hours with no success but it's bugging me.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Haven't played in a good six months. Anyone know if there have been events with a large gold crown B Diablos or L gold crown Kirin? Only crowns I need since the Devil Pickle launch. Grinded for 60 hours with no success but it's bugging me.

Nope, neither of those had events. I had success with non event crowns with save scumming on investigations with at least a silver and gold reward box and some restrictive conditions. Other than that, it's all rng.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Which skill is best to have or stack.....Weakness Exploit, Critical Eye, or Critical Boost? Or which of these 3 skills are best in order from worst to best? I'm asking cause I have all 3 in my build but if one is better/more useful than the rest then I could use the remaining gem slots to put in some other skills I want​

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Which skill is best to have or stack.....Weakness Exploit, Critical Eye, or Critical Boost? Or which of these 3 skills are best in order from worst to best? I'm asking cause I have all 3 in my build but if one is better/more useful than the rest then I could use the remaining gem slots to put in some other skills I want​

WE > Crit > Crit Boost

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Weakness Exploit is not only one of the best skills in the game, it's also one of the easiest to get. Basically every build should have this maxed out unless the monster doesn't have weakpoints that you can abuse.

Crit Boost is great, but only if you already have a lot of affinity, so don't prioritize it over Weakness Exploit.

And instead of Critical Eye, I'd recommend Maximum Might. You get 30% affinity for 3 points instead of 7 and most of the weapons don't need stamina when attacking.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Weakness Exploit is not only one of the best skills in the game, it's also one of the easiest to get. Basically every build should have this maxed out unless the monster doesn't have weakpoints that you can abuse.

Crit Boost is great, but only if you already have a lot of affinity, so don't prioritize it over Weakness Exploit.

And instead of Critical Eye, I'd recommend Maximum Might. You get 30% affinity for 3 points instead of 7 and most of the weapons don't need stamina when attacking.
Thanks for this. I can imagine there isn't many monsters that DONT have waypoints? I think Zorah being one due to the way you fight him?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. I can imagine there isn't many monsters that DONT have waypoints? I think Zorah being one due to the way you fight him?
It depends.

Lavasioth has weakpoints only on the heated parts of the armor. Once you break the armor, that part isn't a weakpoint anymore. Lunastra's weakpoint for bladed weapons is her wings, which can be really hard to hit without Insect Glaive. And for shot-type weapons, the only part of Kulve Taroth that triggers WE is her horns.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, neither of those had events. I had success with non event crowns with save scumming on investigations with at least a silver and gold reward box and some restrictive conditions. Other than that, it's all rng.
I tried that for 60 odd hours, tried fighting, tried measuring compared with me or barrel bombs etc. Killed over 100 Kirins and nothing. It was pretty soul draining at that point.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Another anniversary, another set of trying to get the Extreme Behemoth win.

At least I have a fairly complete Dark Devourer set this time around.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So the Lavisioth event replacing jagras is probably going to be another Decorations Pinata, except you have to fight the worst monster in the game, right?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Thought this was known or was it debunked? Saw it on Reddit a few days ago.

No, it's real.

Juuuuuust one more Jaggras run....for Challenger jewel.... so sleepy.... need to get up for work tomorrow.... but maybe the next run!!!!

We'll see if Lavasioth can be downed quick for jewels too. On top of that, curious if we are actually getting the Witcher event tomorrow. 6 weeks ago it was slated for 2/8, but we've gotten nothing else on it amd it's not listed in the events page. We shall see....

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Just learned about the greatest jagras event, and it's ending so soon. Didn't even get to farm it, stopped playing the game cause of decorations farming getting boring. And the one event that helps with it is pretty much over.

Why didn't anyone make a thread about it. :[

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just learned about the greatest jagras event, and it's ending so soon. Didn't even get to farm it, stopped playing the game cause of decorations farming getting boring. And the one event that helps with it is pretty much over.

Lavasioth event starting tomorrow will also produce tons of decos.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What can you craft with the Faux Ticket III?

Most events will return!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
So, the Witcher 3 update is supposed to be out pretty soon, right? Like, within a day soon?

Do we know what's in the update other than some special event or two with Geralt? We're absolutely getting him as a layered armor, but do we know anything about weapons, non-layered armor, or (best case scenario) a new monster?

What can you craft with the Faux Ticket III?
Skull Mask and Kulu Head Layered armor.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
So, the Witcher 3 update is supposed to be out pretty soon, right? Like, within a day soon?

Do we know what's in the update other than some special event or two with Geralt? We're absolutely getting him as a layered armor, but do we know anything about weapons, non-layered armor, or (best case scenario) a new monster?

Skull Mask and Kulu Head Layered armor.

I was coming to ask about Geralt also,I was sure it was today...so if Great Jagras is leaving today and a new one (Lavia)tomorrow maybe they will add it at the same time...tried the great Jagras 3 times and didnt kill him...at least you keep the deco,which are mostly crap,but I did get a level 3 something...

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
OK, yeah, the Monster Hunter twitter account just reconfirmed that Geralt is coming today/tonight.

[PS4/X1] Hone your senses and get ready to hunt as Geralt from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in #MHWorld Free Update available starting at 4pm PST / 12am GMT

No details though, which is really weird. We knew basically everything about the FFXIV crossover, so this is a big departure.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I was coming to ask about Geralt also,I was sure it was today...so if Great Jagras is leaving today and a new one (Lavia)tomorrow maybe they will add it at the same time...tried the great Jagras 3 times and didnt kill him...at least you keep the deco,which are mostly crap,but I did get a level 3 something...
Completing the quest also guarantees 2 worn feystones, something people didn't know early so it was common to dine and dash. Fortunately most if not all my SOS runs people stick around now.

Also datamined for lavasioth event..
Guarantees 2 warped feystones for completing, so I'll be running this like crazy for sure

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Completing the quest also guarantees 2 worn feystones, something people didn't know early so it was common to dine and dash. Fortunately most if not all my SOS runs people stick around now.

Also datamined for lavasioth event..
Guarantees 2 warped feystones for completing, so I'll be running this like crazy for sure

This was a good video running the math on the times for Jaggras. TL/DW: If you can capture Jaggras < 7 minutes, worth it to capture him alongside the 10 "belly' keystones dropped. If not, just stick to puke farming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxb7sNxVfHo&t=70s

We will see what Lavasioth brings in terms of times of runs.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
This was a good video running the math on the times for Jaggras. TL/DW: If you can capture Jaggras < 7 minutes, worth it to capture him alongside the 10 "belly' keystones dropped. If not, just stick to puke farming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxb7sNxVfHo&t=70s

We will see what Lavasioth brings in terms of times of runs.
Yep, saw this. I've been averaging somewhere around 10-12 mins with randos grabbing puke stones anyway for melding fodder so not too terrible. I like to pick an SOS out of the list though so if I were leading the quest could probably shave off a few more minutes with better setup.

I've also used this as an opportunity to finally try out Hunting Horn, which I am not great at but dropping Def XL on randos has had a notable improvement on successful runs. I've similarly been experimenting with friendship stones though I don't have a great sense of the range per level.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
ugh. about 25+ great jagras kills and the best i got was a pierce jewel. how am i 800 hours in and still no release or mighty jewel in all my temps and AT runs?

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How's the game for a newcomer?

I find the concept really interesting but idk if this one is the best to jump in. Are there underwater battles again?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It's more suited to newcomers than any other in the series, with many of the mechanics modified or otherwise streamlined while building on the gameplay. No underwater battles, which remain Tri/3U only.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 stuff is pretty good. Nice that you can replay the mission again and again.

Monster's only alright. I'll need to fight it more to get a feel for it.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 stuff is pretty good. Nice that you can replay the mission again and again.

Monster's only alright. I'll need to fight it more to get a feel for it.

Yep,tried it once,kept the default weapons but failed,the last Monster just didn't go down and is kinda annoying at first lol...do you have another skill besides Igni...? I actually made the bubble one around me once but did not really see how I did it lol...and the Jagras are annoying as hell also,they really could of skipped those,just like the little fuckers in the Tulve area,that prevent you from tracking for a while...

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Yep,tried it once,kept the default weapons but failed,the last Monster just didn't go down and is kinda annoying at first lol...do you have another skill besides Igni...? I actually made the bubble one around me once but did not really see how I did it lol...
You can mount the monster for one thing, which is ridiculous and hilarious but also the stun window is huge for getting in damage. Using Igni also opens up a pretty decent window to get some good hits in.

Also fast travel to one of the camps and get supplies out of the box. There are poison knifes for one thing! And don't miss that you have flash pods.

Small nudge for anyone looking for a hint for the side quests...

-Explore around the botanist stuck in the roots, there is a good amount of things going on in the area
-Keep an eye out for markings on walls

-There are several pukie-pukie stuck in the roots. Most are dead but one is still alive. Use Igni to free it and it will come to your aid later.
-You will find gajalaka marks around, examine one and then go to the researcher in the northern area (should have an exclamation mark on the map), there is a new path to get up to him so look for it. Go to the top of the tree where the rathian/rathalos nest is. Go to the southwest camp. Go to the area in the tree where anjanath usually goes to sleep with all the webbed/net grounding. Head to the bottom of that area with the huge vigorwasp. I believe that is the basic order of things, going off memory from one run.

Last edited:

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
You can mount the monster for one thing, which is ridiculous and hilarious but also the stun window is huge for getting in damage. Using Igni also opens up a pretty decent window to get some good hits in.

Also fast travel to one of the camps and get supplies out of the box. There are poison knifes for one thing! And don't miss that you have flash pods.

Small nudge for anyone looking for a hint for the side quests...

-Explore around the botanist stuck in the roots, there is a good amount of things going on in the area
-Keep an eye out for markings on walls

-There are several pukie-pukie stuck in the roots. Most are dead but one is still alive. Use Igni to free it and it will come to your aid later.
-You will find gajalaka marks around, examine one and then go to the researcher in the northern area (should have an exclamation mark on the map), there is a new path to get up to him so look for it. Go to the top of the tree where the rathian/rathalos nest is. Go to the southwest camp. Go to the area in the tree where anjanath usually goes to sleep with all the webbed/net grounding. Head to the bottom of that area with the huge vigorwasp. I believe that is the basic order of things, going off memory from one run.

Thanks,I will try that and thanks for the links...

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, just full-set transformations. Can't mix and match the pieces
If it's any consolation though, it's not the worst armor. Obviously it's not optimal, but at least you aren't gimping yourself as much when you use it like when all we had was the Aloy A armor and you wanted to play as her.

somax

Oct 27, 2017
I hate Lavasioth with all my passion. It's the closest thing to that fucker plesioth that MHW has.
Today it dropped a Mighty Bow jewel on my first try at "The name is Lavasioth!", after farming the Greatest Jagras for two weeks straight with no success..
I now love Lavasioth. <3

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I hate Lavasioth with all my passion. It's the closest thing to that fucker plesioth that MHW has.
Today it dropped a Mighty Bow jewel on my first try at "The name is Lavasioth!", after farming the Greatest Jagras for two weeks straight with no success..
I now love Lavasioth. <3

Ha! That's awesome! Randomly, it also dropped a MB jewel for me too when I tried it last night. However, that was my fifth (!!!) one. I, of course, have never used bow ever.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
As a person who hasn't used the elder melder for decos much, anything I should be aware of to not shoot myself in the foot? For example, if you have enough decos to max out a skill any reason to keep more beyond the limit? Basically is there any reason to keep more than 7 defense jewels? All I can think is if I feel like being incredibly lazy and not pull them out of certain pieces of armor/weapons but that is like some peak fuck you filthy rich in jewel living. Anything I am missing?

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
As a person who hasn't used the elder melder for decos much, anything I should be aware of to not shoot myself in the foot? For example, if you have enough decos to max out a skill any reason to keep more beyond the limit? Basically is there any reason to keep more than 7 defense jewels? All I can think is if I feel like being incredibly lazy and not pull them out of certain pieces of armor/weapons but that is like some peak fuck you filthy rich in jewel living. Anything I am missing?

Nope, no point in keeping any deco's over max skill level, but do note that you can (and should!) save scum the melder to see what's coming up.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Lavasioth isn't that bad. I just carry a fire weapon to keep his armour soft for the rest of the team. Runs are anywhere between 6-8mins. Much faster and less annoying than when I was carrying a water weapon.

I could probably do it faster solo, but this is a fight where the company is enjoyed, lol.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Lavasioth...

Does one person still need a carry a fire weapon? Or can someone confirm if Igni/Fire Manipulation is enough to soften up at least some part of it?

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've never played monster hunter before but was thinking about getting thus one but is it worth getting without ps+?
Is there some stuff that you have to be with friends to complete or van you do it all solo?