• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
So I've never played monster hunter before but was thinking about getting thus one but is it worth getting without ps+?
Is there some stuff that you have to be with friends to complete or van you do it all solo?
Depending on how good you are at the game, everything can technically be done solo.

Some of the really hard stuff is designed to be done with other people, but at a minimum the entire story and most of the postgame can be done by yourself.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
So I've never played monster hunter before but was thinking about getting thus one but is it worth getting without ps+?
Is there some stuff that you have to be with friends to complete or van you do it all solo?

I have found most of the game to be more accessible solo than in groups. Of course if you have a good coordinated group on voice chat, friends and all that.. it's good.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have found most of the game to be more accessible solo than in groups. Of course if you have a good coordinated group on voice chat, friends and all that.. it's good.

Ok cool thank you
I bought it since its on sale as well but yeah I don't have any friends who play this so it would just be me even if I had plus.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
"No such thing as maining a weapon", part 8.

Dy6smvkX0AAtJ1K.jpg

While not immediately obvious, that's a grand total of 1,120 missions.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Negigante Y set has leaked

Some good, some back, like pretty much all of the Y sets. The greaves are completely insane, and I really like the mail.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You can do most everything easier solo. There are two quests that are much easier in mutliplayer hut they are end game.... you can put in a solid 60 to 100 hours before even thinking about those!

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher hunt was actually quite enjoyable. Would have preferred if you could have taken your own set with you, but I will admit that the idea of "playing" as Geralt was actually fun. That and it was fun to have the Witcher elements of interaction and access to the fire spell to set enemies on fire. It is unfortunate that the "not Geralt" fire spell does so little damage, but when you are Geralt, the damage is actually kind of nice.

And, of course, the hunt was pretty cool too. A hunt where the target doesn't really move around much (just teleports) was actually a challenge for me. I know I had to do the quest 5-10 times before the Pukei pukei finally would stay alive. I enjoyed it, but I will admit that I'm ready for the even harder version whenever that comes so that we can make Geralt's Silver Sword and power it up properly. Hopefully the wait for that quest won't take too long.

Negigante Y set has leaked

Some good, some back, like pretty much all of the Y sets. The greaves are completely insane, and I really like the mail.

*Sees greaves*

tenor.gif

Jesus Christ... These are insane to look at. Feels like you can make a build that can have multiple 3 slot decorations left and right now to make just about anything. That likely also means that the Nergigante hunt is probably going to be a nightmare and a half compared to the other ATs perhaps, but forget it... I can't wait to get started. ^__^

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
It's an event quest that goes up next week (2/15).

I know I read that somewhere too, but the reason why I was questioning this was because the event quest site has not been updated to reflect this. Unless if there's a case where they are shared within each other, then perhaps that was how I missed that. Either way, it will be fun to see how much more dangerous the "Legendary" version of the root monster will be.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
the event quest site has not been updated to reflect this
It has. http://game.capcom.com/world/us/schedule.html It's just below The Heart of the Nora and it says you have to take down an ancient leshen.
Are people with a 999 HR cheaters? PS4 version..
After a whole year, not necessarily. Outside Fests, I only play once a week to clear the bounties and I'm HR 240. Someone who plays daily can be HR999 easily.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Crossposting from the Witcher 3 crossover thread:

Just played this and other than the monster taking way too long to die, holy shit I'm impressed at how much love and care went into this.

My favorite, underrated part of the quest is that it fleshed out the character of some NPCs from the game that had basically none at all before. Now we've seen some glimpses of their personalities.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Did something change with the Lavasioth quest?

I did it twice yesterday and got 2 bits for the Layered Beetle Armor, but I've done it 4 times today and haven't gotten anything. This seems really odd, because none of the other quests for layered armor have been this stingy with their mats.

Edit: And the 5th hunt gives me 2. When in doubt, whine on Era.

Last edited:

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
It has. http://game.capcom.com/world/us/schedule.html It's just below The Heart of the Nora and it says you have to take down an ancient leshen.

Ok, I think I understand where I made my mistake. I was under the impression that the first witcher hunt was that one and thought the event ran from this week to the end of the month. Apologies and thank you for pointing it out.

Now with that said, with it saying "Team up with other hunters" I suppose this means we aren't going to be limited to what we use this time around like during the special assignment. Still, it should be fun to see how much more of a hassle the Leshen will be this time around. A fun way to prep for the AT Nergigante. ^__^

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for Witcher quest? Spent an hour, ran out of potions and just couldn't down the leshen. Was super annoying by the jagras constantly interrupting right when I got a rhythm

I was using bow, I guess that's a bad choice?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for Witcher quest? Spent an hour, ran out of potions and just couldn't down the leshen. Was super annoying by the jagras constantly interrupting right when I got a rhythm

Did you go to the box at a camp? They give a bunch of stuff like poison and paralysis knives which can help a ton.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017

There's a reason why the game introduces you to the Igni spell. It can help with a variety of things such as stunning the Leshen or taking out the group of Jagras. When it comes available, might as well use it to help with any situation. Also when the Jagras stop by, it is best to deal with them immediately since like you said, they can interrupt you from your attacks and let the Leshen get in a good hit or two on you. That said, pay attention where the Leshen is when it teleports since if it is far away, it will likely use the birds or its roots to attack.

Also if you didn't do the Pukei Pukei side quest, it probably would be in your best interest to do so just to help the last part just a bit. Other than that, it is all a game of patience.

As for the bow, I can't say since I've done the hunt with LS, hammer, lance and Geralt's Silver Sword &Not Shield. I feel like even though the Leshen doesn't move around much, it can still tank attacks a hell alot better than other monsters in the game (but that's just me).

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
That's an amazing 2B set! What pieces are those?
Glad you like it and everything is layered so that means you can rock it whenever you want.
Head is Sealed Eyepatch layered that you get from a Rathalos and Azure Rathalos event Kings know no fear.
Chest, arms and waist is Blosson layered that you get from the AT Kirin event.
Legs are Origin layered that you get from AT Zorah Magdaros event.
Everything in black colour except the arms that are white.
White hair and beauty mark can be chosen in your room, obviously.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to finally "get" Charge Blade, but still need to work on my guard point timing. Still don't feel like focusing as much on Long Sword lately, though (lots of Gunlance and Dual Blades instead, have tried a bit of Light Bowgun and liked it).

Oct 27, 2017
There's a reason why the game introduces you to the Igni spell. It can help with a variety of things such as stunning the Leshen or taking out the group of Jagras. When it comes available, might as well use it to help with any situation. Also when the Jagras stop by, it is best to deal with them immediately since like you said, they can interrupt you from your attacks and let the Leshen get in a good hit or two on you. That said, pay attention where the Leshen is when it teleports since if it is far away, it will likely use the birds or its roots to attack.

Also if you didn't do the Pukei Pukei side quest, it probably would be in your best interest to do so just to help the last part just a bit. Other than that, it is all a game of patience.

As for the bow, I can't say since I've done the hunt with LS, hammer, lance and Geralt's Silver Sword &Not Shield. I feel like even though the Leshen doesn't move around much, it can still tank attacks a hell alot better than other monsters in the game (but that's just me).
Yeah idk what the pukei part is because it wasn't clear to me that I needed to do anything else

I'll give it another try thanks

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Best tip I can give for the Leshen fight is to try and hit the Leshen and as many Jagras as you can with one use of Igni. The Jagras automatically die from Igni (even though it shouldn't do enough damage to kill them) and it stuns the Leshen for a pretty long time.

Another hint is to try and mount the Leshen as much as possible. It can be tough depending on where you are, but it's still a good amount of time to beat it up without worrying.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of pissed off atm. I played quite a bit of Monster Hunter World on PC and took a break. Looking for an excuse to get back in, and the Witcher content seemed like a perfect excuse to do it. So why is it only on consoles? Witcher got it's start on PC and pull this shit.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of pissed off atm. I played quite a bit of Monster Hunter World on PC and took a break. Looking for an excuse to get back in, and the Witcher content seemed like a perfect excuse to do it. So why is it only on consoles? Witcher got it's start on PC and pull this shit.

As you may know, they are on different event schedules. I assume the PC version is trying to dole out the same content in a similar pace but in relation to the PC release date.

On a side note, did anyone else notice that the Witcher SnS can block attacks even if you are facing the complete wrong direction to block? All thanks to the bubble effect of the guard.

At least that's what I noticed when I blocked a Kulve fire beam facing away from him with the Silver sword SnS.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
As you may know, they are on different event schedules. I assume the PC version is trying to dole out the same content in a similar pace but in relation to the PC release date.
It should be doled out a lot faster than what they're doing for PC. The fact that PC players are only just now about to get AT Kushala is absurd.

PC players shouldn't have to get the Witcher 3 content at the same time that console players get Iceborne.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
It should be doled out a lot faster than what they're doing for PC. The fact that PC players are only just now about to get AT Kushala is absurd.

PC players shouldn't have to get the Witcher 3 content at the same time that console players get Iceborne.

I don't know what the hold up is, if it's something that they have to test extensively or what. You guys are getting content at a faster rate than we did (relatively) if you already have AT Kushala. I'm sure you'll get it way before Iceborne.

I would feel bad for PC players but all of this stuff is free updates and you're getting it eventually. Maybe this is a Minecraft situation where eventually the console and pc versions will have update parity. Although, hopefully faster than that.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup, it's inexcusable considering how much the game has sold on PC.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Man I love The Witcher Crossover, Capcom did an amazing job with it. I did the assignment 10 time already lol Got all the rewards and Wildhunt title and can't wait for the second part of this collaboration. It was so good to hear music from Witcher in Monster Hunter :D

Oct 26, 2017
At $25 on XBL, I may finally dive into this after putting it off for a year (the launch problems on Xbox ticked me off and i requested a refund)

I have a real dumb question though: can someone run down what steps to take to party with a friend? Thanks

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
At $25 on XBL, I may finally dive into this after putting it off for a year (the launch problems on Xbox ticked me off and i requested a refund)

I have a real dumb question though: can someone run down what steps to take to party with a friend? Thanks

those launch issues are probably exactly this; you have party up by inviting each other to the game via XBL that's how you join up with friends.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

Person 1 creates a session in game (option at the main menu), sends session ID to person 2, which they use to join that session. Otherwise you should be able to use the invite feature although I don't play on Xbox so not entirely sure how it works there.

The biggest thing you need to know is Assigned quests (the first option in the quest list) is setup in a kind of weird way because these games are normally split between solo and multiplayer quests. MHW bucked that trend and made it so these "solo" quests can be played multiplayer but it strongly prefers that you try it at least once solo. You can get around this by going into the quest, waiting until the message along the lines of "SOS can be shot now" and then leave. This is normally behind a cutscene of some sort so may not pop until a few minutes into the quest. Once you have seen that message the quest has been unlocked for multiplayer and you can join up with someone else (they would have to do the same to unlock it.) You can speed up the process slightly but trying not to over complicate things for you.

There are a million other little things but that is the one I see constantly trip people up. Otherwise post questions as you run into stuff and we'll get you sorted.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Finally did the full Witcher quest with side quests.
Keeping pukei alive was tough.
Tips: pick a blue mushroom and find a couple of godbugs up by the top of the ancient tree before you meet the gajas. Craft a couple of extra lifepowders.
Also, use igni on the jagras and save it instead of using it on the leshen. They absolutely murder pukei in no time.
And/or leave one jagras alive so he won't summon more.

I used s&s. It's a good fit for the quest and most of the other weapons are poor examples of their type. You definitely want a shield.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Ancient Leshen is out.

The quest seems completely impossible to do solo, because it has a move that traps you and prevents you from doing anything while birds and jagras peck you to death. I'm guessing in multiplayer someone can Igni you out of it, but no such luck solo.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Man, Ancient Leshen has fuckton of health and a few abilities that can pretty much one shot you if you not careful.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like melee weapons will get you killed against Ancient Leshen. The birds do so much chip and the super AoE attack is so much easier to avoid with a gun.

I wish I was able to learn how to predict where the vines will go. I figure it's set patterns for the attack, but it blends in with the level so well that I just can't tell where they go until I get hit.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Ancient Leshen is no joke. Harder than Ex Behemoth, imo. So far haven't beaten it yet through multiple tries.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
How many in your squad, full 4? And randos or a regular crew? Haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Tried randoms and 3 man squad with a decent random. We were doing fine but he has so much goddamn HP that we just run outta healing eventually. Every hit hurts so much. I even have max HP boost, fully maxed out augmented armor and used Mega Armor Skin etc. Dude still hits like a truck.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Man, to craft everything (Ciri armor, upgrade Geralts blade and craft Ciris Dual Blades) I'm gonna have to do it like five more times and I've done it twice already. I can't believe there isn't a layered armor for either of them, shame on you Capcom.