• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I really, truly hate fighting Odogaron with his weird ass quick movements and bleed bullshit, along with fighting him in his lair being a death sentence (got carted once for not luring him out... when it only took a little bit more to finally kill him and therefore cost me my 2x bonus from a Lucky Voucher for nothing), and yet here I am needing to keep fighting him because none of those assholes have dropped a plate to finish his armor. This would annoy me more if I hadn't been using the other four pieces and the Death Stench coil for the dragon bonus to fight Rathalos specifically.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Holy fuck......

There are two layered sets one for Geralt and one for Ciri, you just have to get lucky and get Mutagen from Ancient Leshen ( I guess it's his gem). Sorry Capcom, big apologies lol So fucking happy right now, Ciri till the end of time, I don't need any more layered sets lol

edit:

Just one more Mutagen and I will have everything from Ancient Leshen. The fight itself isn't bad, I actually like it a lot but might not be for everyone, it will depend on people that you play with.

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I really, truly hate fighting Odogaron with his weird ass quick movements and bleed bullshit, along with fighting him in his lair being a death sentence
I find using sword and shield when you first don't know its movement patterns is the easiest since you can often outmaneuver him.
For the bleeding, are you using astera jerky or sushifish scales? If you find yourself without those, crouching in a bush hides you and the status disappears rather quickly once you are crouching.
Regarding the lair, if he is already sleeping, why not capture him and avoid the trouble?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I find using sword and shield when you first don't know its movement patterns is the easiest since you can often outmaneuver him.
For the bleeding, are you using astera jerky or sushifish scales? If you find yourself without those, crouching in a bush hides you and the status disappears rather quickly once you are crouching.
Regarding the lair, if he is already sleeping, why not capture him and avoid the trouble?
I prefer Gunlance when first figuring out monster patterns, occasionally going with Charge Blade once I have a good idea but still wanting to be able to guard (I know his well enough by now, I just hate dealing with them and wanted to vent). Sword and Shield was never to my liking in respect to damage or reach.

I always go with crouching for bleeding, admittedly forgot all about Astera Jerky existing before seeing it in the inventory again and didn't remember what Sushifish Scales did. Ghillie Mantle usually helps me with staying out of sight if in a pinch and without anything in the environment to use, and gives me time to sharpen and heal up when needed as well.

I'm thinking of going with more captures for both the ease and chances of better rewards, definitely not worth trying to kill him if he makes it all the way back there (even if I can lure him out in the open with the Paratoads). Not too sure why I insist on killing him other than simple vindictiveness, he may be one of the only large monsters so far to ever cart me in this, but even then it still only happened once.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Double post, but after moving into the private suite, I went right back to the private quarters. It's nice and all, but a bit too fancy for what I was looking for in a Monster Hunter room after enjoying the coziness of what I had before that (plus, I missed my aquarium).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck......

There are two layered sets one for Geralt and one for Ciri, you just have to get lucky and get Mutagen from Ancient Leshen ( I guess it's his gem). Sorry Capcom, big apologies lol So fucking happy right now, Ciri till the end of time, I don't need any more layered sets lol

edit:

Just one more Mutagen and I will have everything from Ancient Leshen. The fight itself isn't bad, I actually like it a lot but might not be for everyone, it will depend on people that you play with.

Sounds like it's going well for you. Any tips for the fight?

Double post, but after moving into the private suite, I went right back to the private quarters. It's nice and all, but a bit too fancy for what I was looking for in a Monster Hunter room after enjoying the coziness of what I had before that (plus, I missed my aquarium).

Yeah, I stayed in the first room all throughout the game. It's the most cozy and I like that everything is close by (chest, assistant, your cat).

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it's going well for you. Any tips for the fight?

Have two support roles. I used an SnS wide range build with gobbler and another player just used wide range 5. We paralyzed and mounted it a bunch. It's a lot smoother with two healers.

Also, flash him when the camera pans further out ( big attack) and when people get trapped by his vines.

Don't forget to burn his ass every now and then.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
34 minute run of me being a wussy and wide range healing mushromancing the whole way.

then I trip up and die

then while in camp restocking two more die to the super move

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Ancient leshen sounds like a true Witcher ending:
"Well done for saving the Village, killing the monster, freeing the Gajas Chief and helping the Pukei"
*Witcher voiceover* ...but Geralt found the celebrations short-lived. Perhaps his actions saving the village had only provoked a greater evil. When he returned next week, the forest was full of corpses from over-eager hunters. No one knew what became of the rescued Pukei Pukei and the Gajalakas, as not a trace of their existence could be found.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Have two support roles. I used an SnS wide range build with gobbler and another player just used wide range 5. We paralyzed and mounted it a bunch. It's a lot smoother with two healers.

Also, flash him when the camera pans further out ( big attack) and when people get trapped by his vines.

Don't forget to burn his ass every now and then.

How much does he eats para? I wonder if I should try a para build when I try it later.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Having a couple of people with Wide Area has consistently been the key to tough quests in the end game so that's why I'll always bring it with me to those. Sometimes even a hunting horn if viable.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I stuck with the suite for a while, but eventually I moved back to the 2nd room as well.

The suite doesn't seem like something a monster hunter would live in.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Having a couple of people with Wide Area has consistently been the key to tough quests in the end game so that's why I'll always bring it with me to those. Sometimes even a hunting horn if viable.

I've gone in as support/hunting horn if no one else is doing it. Had first success today trying to keep everyone buffed up

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
Fight becomes a lot easier once people start slinging the shit out of him.

Edit: Ok while the fight itself is good, it's way toooooo long. I was in a squad that broke 2 parts in its second phase, so it was going well. We died very slowly over time but by the end the time was 30 minutes and it was still a fail, we stopped him from doing his super 5 times in the last stage as well thinking "it must be over now"......nope.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
So it turns out Ancient Leshen has more health than Extreme Behemoth.

I understand that average DPS in MHW is through the roof because of stuff like easy 100% affinity and Master's Touch, but having a monster with almost 70k HP seems like a little much. I'm pretty sure there are G-rank monsters in the old games that have less health.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
So it turns out Ancient Leshen has more health than Extreme Behemoth.

I understand that average DPS in MHW is through the roof because of stuff like easy 100% affinity and Master's Touch, but having a monster with almost 70k HP seems like a little much. I'm pretty sure there are G-rank monsters in the old games that have less health.
G rank EX deviants in MHGU had 17-26k lol. Those monsters were considered very tanky in a G rank game. Even with the ridiculous power creep, this number is still completely ridiculous. Like what's the point of this even? Why do they seem to want to snub solo players so much with their endgame support?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
So this Ancient Leshen quest was going well and when it moves to the Jagras nest the fucking network disconnects me. Tried to end it solo but failed. I feel bad for the other 3 people who may think I bailed for no reason and found themselves with one hunter less. :(

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still under the impression that solo play is far easier, not only because of not needing to coordinate with other players on how to attack or otherwise hope you get randoms who have at least some idea what they're doing, but also due to the monsters having more than twice the amount of health in multiplayer (was surprised to find out that it's a fixed increased rather than scaling according to team size, making anything less than a team of four less than optimal yet still reliant upon the variables that come with playing with other people).
So this Ancient Leshen quest was going well and when it moves to the Jagras nest the fucking network disconnects me. Tried to end it solo but failed. I feel bad for the other 3 people who may think I bailed for no reason and found themselves with one hunter less. :(
Things completely out of one's control to derail multiplayer progress like random network issues are another concern, yeah.

Last edited:

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Fourth solo story try on the Leshen and I still cant beat him...how much fucking hit points did they give him...? should I change equiment at the start of the quest and take my usual dual blades or something...he takes away a lot of Geralt health with every hit...got him down near the water and at one point he kneeled down and I hit him a lot of times and I thought it was over but nooooo,he gets up again...and the fucking Jagras...did they really need to add those little fuckers in there,such a paiin the ass when you need to sharpen or whatever...about to give up on this awful Boss fight.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Finally killed Ancient Leshen. Last phase is nuts. What a fucking shitty fight. I need to do it 2 more times to get enough parts for both armor and weapons...ARGH

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Got those from all the failed runs with randoms. I can grab both layered armors. Was lucky, haha

How? You can't get it as a reward, it has to be carved from what I know. I did finish Ancient Leshen 15 times and so far only got one and it was from carving. Every run we break everything possible (head twice) and none of us got it other way than from carving.

Are you sure you are talking about Mutagen? If so, then you are really super lucky.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
How? You can't get it as a reward, it has to be carved from what I know. I did finish Ancient Leshen 15 times and so far only got one and it was from carving. Every run we break everything possible (head twice) and none of us got it other way than from carving.

Are you sure you are talking about Mutagen? If so, then you are really super lucky.

Yea, I think other people got them as one of those random rewards from failing. I do remember getting one from a failed quest. Might've gotten a second one from carving. I saved the end clip so I'll take a look at the reward screen tomorrow.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck this man

Game - you did good you killed Leshen, here take some more of that shit you already have plenty
Game - you failed to defeat Leshen, here take this nice layered armor

I hate you Capcom

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Ancient Lechen is a great fight. Actually requires awareness and not just 4pc Drachen DPS builds to power through it.

If your team all has Speed Eating 3 and Wide Range 5, there's no excuse for losing this fight.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ancient Lechen is a great fight. Actually requires awareness and not just 4pc Drachen DPS builds to power through it.

If your team all has Speed Eating 3 and Wide Range 5, there's no excuse for losing this fight.

Biggest HP pool, one of the biggest attack damage, lots of sdecently trong adds, hardly any animation tells, an attack that makes it impossible to escape solo.... it's not about being able to power through it (everything can be power throught no matter what), its just an inbalanced mess of a fight.

Try-hard stuff in a collaboration like this boss is not doing any favors if they want to keep new players for Iceborne.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, lost twice from running out of time in final phase last night. Both times one person was using a hammer which I think wasn't getting us enough DPS. Will get that person to try another weapon instead. My first kill was with 3 SnS guys and I was LBG, lol

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest HP pool, one of the biggest attack damage, lots of sdecently trong adds, hardly any animation tells, an attack that makes it impossible to escape solo.... it's not about being able to power through it (everything can be power throught no matter what), its just an inbalanced mess of a fight.

Try-hard stuff in a collaboration like this boss is not doing any favors if they want to keep new players for Iceborne.
I really feel like Ancient Leshen is Capcom overcompensating regarding all of the players that say the game is too easy.

And don't get me wrong, most of the game is too easy. Mantles, item quick-select, insane DPS for just about every build, and every hunter having far more skills than was ever possible before makes MHW significantly easier than the previous games.

But the answer shouldn't be a monster with 67,000 HP, tons of attacks that OHKO, adds with what seem like 500 HP each, and the complete inability to fight it solo even if you wanted to. That just makes for a grindy, boring fight.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the ancient leschen fight myself. It's manageable as long as you have enough healers, but that last phase is crazy! You probably need 2 people absolutely dedicating to healing while two others do their best to finish it. It's hard to even get an attack in. Maybe spamming flash pods is an option during this phase.

Just watched a video and the guy was using an orange bubble around him that seemed to help a lot for the fight...how do you use that...?

It's just the Witcher SnS guarding animation. However, I believe it makes it so you don't have to be facing any correct direction to actually block attacks . I blocked Kulves fire beam with my back to it and guarding with the Silver Sword SnS

Sir Laguna

Oct 27, 2017
I just was able to defeat Ancient Leshen at the second attempt with an amazing team of japanese randos. Two af them had speed eating + friendship + wide-range. the other one was DPS with a Great Sword and I was tanking with a gunlance.

A shield is almost a must have to be able to stop his attacks. I had a lot of fun. I didn't even saw the super attack because were fast with the flashes.

Just watched a video and the guy was using an orange bubble around him that seemed to help a lot for the fight...how do you use that...?

That's Gerald's shield (S&S). Any weapon with a shield will work in this fight, specially with guard. No need for a fancy one like that.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just bad, but I had like 6 runs with Ancient Leshen and all of them ended horribly unfortunately. I'm dps LS but I feel like I can barely stay close enough to the Ancient Leshen. The crows and the jagras chip off too much health, and then it's just a matter of 1 or 2 hits for me to die. The surekill move isn't as bad as Behemoth's but it manages to actually do it, it feels like people will die. Honestly, it's just frustrating and no fun at all. I'm all for more challenging events and such, but this is pretty much multiplayer only and I feel that if there aren't people to rely on, I'm just getting joining on a quest to waste resources.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017

While he hits hard, his attack tempo really isn't very fast at all so as long as your team is topping up after each hit, you shouldn't get wombo-comboed. The Jagras are more tanky than anything but having a LS, Swaxe, flashpods, and/or bombs make them not an issue. I can see the trap not being able to be escaped solo to be maddening to some, but I enjoy the cooperation it brings. Once you get a feel for him, you can tackle/foresight his vines and all pretty consistently.

Also he has no flash immunity so you can really just flash everything he does and be fine. I use LS/GS for the first 3 phases and then switch to Para Swaxe in the final phase where I usually para him 3 or so times before he dies.

Last edited:

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
I just was able to defeat Ancient Leshen at the second attempt with an amazing team of japanese randos. Two af them had speed eating + friendship + wide-range. the other one was DPS with a Great Sword and I was tanking with a gunlance.

A shield is almost a must have to be able to stop his attacks. I had a lot of fun. I didn't even saw the super attack because were fast with the flashes.

That's Gerald's shield (S&S). Any weapon with a shield will work in this fight, specially with guard. No need for a fancy one like that.

Ah so you dont have that for the initial solo quest as Geralt...?

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's Geralt's default S&S block instead of a shield it's the "alt-quen sign" from W3.
For the solo quest as Geralt, use igni to kill the jagras or flag pods to stun them. Use the quen block against the birds and roots. Free the pukei pukei (one of them is still alive) west of the trapped research guy and it'll draw some aggro in the final phase of the fight (you get a bonus for keeping pukei alive, but that's hard).
Leave one jagras alive so he won't summon more.
Remember to go back to camp if you run low on healing potions. There are lots of spare potions and stuff in the camp chest. I used a lot of megapotions/first aid+ compared to most hunts. Don't forget astera jerky for stopping bleeding.
Oh, and customise your radial menu for the items you use.

Bitsurugi

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck this man

Game - you did good you killed Leshen, here take some more of that shit you already have plenty
Game - you failed to defeat Leshen, here take this nice layered armor

I hate you Capcom

Mutagen can be obtained by breaking his horns, so that's why you can get it when failing the quest. It has pretty much the same chance to drop as from carve, one star in both cases.

Got my 2nd mutagen after the 6th kill, it is indeed kinda annoying it's not guaranteed.

Oct 26, 2017

Hell, Health Boost 3 alone goes a long way. But yeah when playing support I've yet to fail the fight. I feel Ex Behemoth was way harder (with randoms anyway). It does suck the fight can't be done solo though, having to rely on others to know what they're doing is no bueno.

Besides, I can't hate Ancient Leshen because it gave me my first Shield deco. About time after more than 1000 hours lol.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
After hundreds of hours on PS4 and plenty on PC, I keep looking for a reason to get back into this. These new fights sound exciting (Behemoth, Lechen), but being forced to play with others kills it for me.

I guess I pretty much tapped out the single player experience so I'm just playing other stuff.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Yes it's Geralt's default S&S block instead of a shield it's the "alt-quen sign" from W3.
For the solo quest as Geralt, use igni to kill the jagras or flag pods to stun them. Use the quen block against the birds and roots. Free the pukei pukei (one of them is still alive) west of the trapped research guy and it'll draw some aggro in the final phase of the fight (you get a bonus for keeping pukei alive, but that's hard).
Leave one jagras alive so he won't summon more.
Remember to go back to camp if you run low on healing potions. There are lots of spare potions and stuff in the camp chest. I used a lot of megapotions/first aid+ compared to most hunts. Don't forget astera jerky for stopping bleeding.
Oh, and customise your radial menu for the items you use.

But how do I use Quen...I dont have time to see all the controls in the top right and I always play a Dual Blades so blocking is not my strenght lol...

After hundreds of hours on PS4 and plenty on PC, I keep looking for a reason to get back into this. These new fights sound exciting (Behemoth, Lechen), but being forced to play with others kills it for me.

I guess I pretty much tapped out the single player experience so I'm just playing other stuff.

The initial Witcher quest is a solo affair though.