• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Coming off the heels of the festival and reading about PS4 players' fun with AT Nerg.. I can't find anything I want to do in PC MHW. I didn't play The Witcher so I have little interest in those quests. Oh well, hopefully get they the platforms into parity soon.
As someone that also hasn't played any of The Witcher games, I had a blast with the missions. Leshen is super cool fight that's like nothing else in the game, so it's a really nice break from beating up the same tempered elders and ATKT.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as the mats aren't needed for something you need soon then don't sweat it. You're going to have mats coming out your ears eventually. Once you get over the leveling hump you'll never be looking at anything below a R6 weapon anyways.

If you do need low level mats for something down the road, once you have better gear that takes no time at all to gather.

On another note..

Coming off the heels of the festival and reading about PS4 players' fun with AT Nerg.. I can't find anything I want to do in PC MHW. I didn't play The Witcher so I have little interest in those quests. Oh well, hopefully get they the platforms into parity soon.
Oh I see... Yeah, this game has a weird gameplay loop between "I don't know if it's worth it going on" and "yeah, this is awesome I hope it never ends..." lol...

Hmm, you could just help out noobs, I see lots of rank 5-14... That's what I'd do.

Take it as a challenge, the worse they play the better haha ;)

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bah, stupid Pukei Pukei died again on the Witcher quest. I think it's harder when the final phase is in the cave instead of the clearing. I feel like I'll get it. I haven't played the game in like a week and the fight felt easy otherwise.

Sir Laguna

Oct 27, 2017
Question regarding Kulve Taroth as I'm doing the siege for the first time: Is progress completely session exclusive?

Yesterday I was in a session and the siege dragged so long that I had to quit in the evening before breaking the horns.

That's right.

I usually try to join a full room (14/15 hunters). That way I usually just need to hunt KT a couple of times to be able to break the horns. If you leave the session you'll lose the pursuit level.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Bah, stupid Pukei Pukei died again on the Witcher quest. I think it's harder when the final phase is in the cave instead of the clearing. I feel like I'll get it. I haven't played the game in like a week and the fight felt easy otherwise.
I agree with you totally. I was trying to help my friend complete it and completely flubbed it because of the cave end spot.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's so much harder when it's in the cave instead of the clearing. You have no idea how helpful Vitalillies are until you save Pukei and yourself with one.

Otherwise you just need to have as much Lifepowder as you can make and hope for the best.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you're about to slay El Gigante (or whatever!) and someone in your party faints (the 3rd time in 10 minutes?)

Edit: Aha so that alpha gear / level makes a difference, I'm doing way more mounts and that air dash attack... could be just getting used to everything but I think it helps, also read something about that in an in-game description somewhere I think...

Definitely need to try and capture more monsters too, but I'm not quite sure how it works, it seems there are several items that can be used...

Today was definitely more a "I hope it never ends" day.

I've also unlocked level 7 weapons, just need some parts - prob gonna take forever...

Last edited:

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, I see. Well that's not an uncommon way to do upgrades, the game really just doesn't explain it well, the error messages are really kinda Space Odyssey 2000 esque "I can't let you do that, Dave..."

Lol

Oh and yeah I'll use the materials I just didn't want to "waste" them unnecessarily, it was hard enough to get them.

Err, well, I don't want the Wyvern weapons anymore they look bad, I want "First Dance" or just keep upgrading "Flickering Glow" I guess, I like this weapon, just not sure how far it will get me...
Yeah, World could do a better job at explaining stuff like that. But it does a better job than previous games so, who knows, maybe in ten years we'll get a Monster Hunter game that is actually good at onboarding players! Baby steps.

Definitely need to try and capture more monsters too, but I'm not quite sure how it works, it seems there are several items that can be used...
Basically, you need two things : a trap and a couple of tranq bombs (not sure of the names since I don't play with the game set up in english)

There are two types of traps, electric traps and pitfall traps. As far as I can remember they should both work on all monsters (bar ancient dragons that I don't think are capturable in World?) the difference is on how long they incapacitate a monster.

So the idea is to whack on the monster until it's limping (you can sometimes see a skull logo on the map on top of the monster logo, don't know if it's tied to your research level for that monster), now trap the monster and right after you need to throw 2 tranqs at the monster (there's no range on those items so do it next to the monster), if the monster was weak enough, boom!, you'll have captured it.

EDIT : To craft traps, you'll need an item called "trap materials" that can be crafted from your box but also directly bought from the shop in Astera.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
A few tips on trapping monsters:
  • How long the monster stays in the trap changes depending on whether the monster is enraged or tired, and how many times they've been trapped before. More traps = monster breaks out faster. Angry monster = monster breaks out faster.
  • That said, it's usually not a problem because almost every monster goes off to sleep when they hit low enough health. When they're sleeping, just set the trap right on top of them and tranq them when they get caught, and if you're even decent at getting your tranqs out quick, they won't break out before you're done capture them.
  • However, you don't even need to do this. You can actually pre-tranq a monster but using tranq bombs while they sleep (they do no damage, so they can't wake the monster up or accidentally kill it). The effect of the tranqs lasts for a while, so after using them, you can take your time to set up a trap, and when the monster gets in the trap it'll automatically fall asleep and be captured.
If you still aren't sure about captures, there's a side-quest chain that requires you to capture various monsters and teaches you the basics (it also gives you the gear needed for captures so you don't have to learn how to make your own right off the bat). I highly recommend doing this as it not only teaches valuable skills but also unlocks LR Kirin and the Thunderproof Mantle.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mistouze thanks! Yeah, they're called tranq bombs :)

Will try my best... lol

And yeah, this game has some issues explaining stuff or making things accessible. So one of the researchers, botanists or whatever gave me a quest to expand my item pouch slots... But now I'm supposed to find that quest... Where exactly?! Lol. I think I found it, but it's tedious because the explanations for quests don't necessarily reflect what they really are for, and I'm still not sure it's the right quest - and it seems to be kinda an important one.

That's all stuff I can deal with sort of, but it's a thing that really stops you in your tracks more often then not, the menus could be less cluttered and descriptions more accurate instead of purposefully wishy-washy...

It has its charm, but uhh...

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DrArchon
Ah, the site has some issues with refreshing for me, I didn't see your reply, thank you too! ☺

Err, and what is the net for, I initially thought that's for catching monsters but I still don't know what it does... Possibly it's for catching smaller animals?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The net is for capturing small critters (otherwise known as "endemic life"). It doesn't matter to gameplay in any significant sense, but if you capture a weird fish or a cool bird you can put it in your room as a pet.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The net is for capturing small critters (otherwise known as "endemic life"). It doesn't matter to gameplay in any significant sense, but if you capture a weird fish or a cool bird you can put it in your room as a pet.

They used to have special themed gear pieces you could unlock after completing optional side content

I mean MHW brought back all the arena armor unlocks so thats cool but it would be neat to have an unlock tied to collecting all the endemic life outside of a trophy

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first catch!

IMG_20190526_191730.jpg

And a big one too!

Yeah, I'm burning a little, but don't worry "it's fine" 🔥 😁

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
It is great to be finally back in the game. I played the PS4 Version with a friend when it came out and we spent 200+ hours in this world. Loved every second of it.

Bought it on PC a few hours ago in preperation for the new expansion and hopefully will be able to invest some hours with a few friends.

I got a question: On playsi we could not play missions together from the beginning, only after cutscrenes. So normally one of us had to quit after that and then join the other one. Is this still the same on PC?

Last edited:

Ganryu

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, i played MHW when it came out until they released deviljho.
Any new content added from that? Any major/good change on game?

Thanks

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, i played MHW when it came out until they released deviljho.
Any new content added from that? Any major/good change on game?

Thanks

Kulve Turoth Siege battles

Arch Tempered Elder fights Basically a Master rank preview. New armor sets and the monsters get new moves

Behemoth (FF14 Collaboration) and Ancient Leshen quests (Witcher 3 collaboration)

Thats about it until Iceborne!

Jaybird

Sep 4, 2018
Starting this game back up due to the expansion later this year. Only put in about 10 hours before I stopped playing. If anyone would like to play together, hit me up!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Are all the collaborations in the past playable if I start new on PC now? I played until the Kulve Siege and did everything until then but progress is on console.
Absolutely. The last bit of content that PC is missing is AT Nergigante, which I think is coming out early next month. After that, the PC version will be at parity with the console version.

Additionally, for the basic versions of the new monsters, you can do them whenever. It's only the super tough versions that are tied to events.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing a ton of dauntless and it makes me want to come back to this game. Only had 8 hours on it after launch so I might just start clean. Not sure about the player base on Xbox though as all my friends have moved on.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Absolutely. The last bit of content that PC is missing is AT Nergigante, which I think is coming out early next month. After that, the PC version will be at parity with the console version.

Additionally, for the basic versions of the new monsters, you can do them whenever. It's only the super tough versions that are tied to events.
That is good to hear, but what I meant was the different costumes from the capcom events like Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Street Fighters. I should have known they are time exclusive but that did not cross my mind while writing my question.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, how to unlock felyne outfits?

I need the Kadachi alpha set, but it's not there?

I guess I have to hunt a lot of Kadachis but what's it's a special quest? I just don't know how to unlock them...

Also in Rotten Vale I always have a Girros following me, is that a common glitch or something?

I can't attack him, he doesn't attack me - so it's technically not a problem, but it sure is distracting... lol

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, how to unlock felyne outfits?

I need the Kadachi alpha set, but it's not there?

I guess I have to hunt a lot of Kadachis but what's it's a special quest? I just don't know how to unlock them...

Also in Rotten Vale I always have a Girros following me, is that a common glitch or something?

I can't attack him, he doesn't attack me - so it's technically not a problem, but it sure is distracting... lol

Kadachi Alpha is a high rank set.. are you doing those already?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kadachi Alpha is a high rank set.. are you doing those already?
Yeah, what do I need to do or kill to get it?

The one for my cat I mean...
I killed maybe two Kadachis so far and captured one...

(I'm also trying to get the Anja beta suit for my hunter - it's unlocked but that'll take forever to get all parts and then it doesn't even have good stats lol)

Currently rocking "bones" (alpha)

IMG_20190527_235018.jpg

(with some slight modifications) 😄

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really cool to fight all these "famous" monsters in such a short time, next up Vaal Hazak...!

Maybe he gives my Palico the alpha outfit he deserves!?

Just did that event against 4 monsters in Rotten Vale, I thought that would be harder because of the toxic gases... but that was fun -- I'm just severely underleveled, but that's what makes it fun honestly, I treat it kinda like survival horror, just trying to stay alive. ;)

Edits: Ok this one was tough, he killed me 2 times because he has a second attack when you think that's it lol. Well he didn't get me a 3rd time...

Wow, ok now off to the Testarossa of monsters. Or something.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And that's that. LVL 15, story over?
That should have been longer, I guess.

And now to grind to LVL 50? Uh-huh we'll see about that. :o

So does the iceborn thing add actual story or just events/quests?

Also unskipable credits... just stahp! :p

PS: the acid dragon was definitely hardest, Vaal Hazak I think.

Killed me twice within 3 minutes or so that mofo!

EDIT: I still don't have Kadachi alpha armor for my cat guy, does that armor even exist?? *sigh*

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but the new LS looks like a new model of Bone LS with a bit of Anjanath fur stuck too it.

It's not looking great on the "Please give the weapons unique models for each monster" front.
Oh yeah, I get that weapons should be unique to monsters, but I'm generally not a fan of the weapon designs in this, just give me Virtuous Treaty from Nier Automata tbh and be done with, sleek, huge katana it doesn't get better than that (or more stylish)

They have the iron tree, but the more you upgrade them the worse (nerdy) they look...

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
And that's that. LVL 15, story over?
That should have been longer, I guess.

And now to grind to LVL 50? Uh-huh we'll see about that. :o

So does the iceborn thing add actual story or just events/quests?

Also unskipable credits... just stahp! :p

PS: the acid dragon was definitely hardest, Vaal Hazak I think.

Killed me twice within 3 minutes or so that mofo!

EDIT: I still don't have Kadachi alpha armor for my cat guy, does that armor even exist?? *sigh*

Honestly I feel like the story is just something to keep you entertained while you learn the ropes. The fun begins after that is out of the way. Now you get to fight tempered monsters, arch tempered monsters, do the KT event, Behemoth, etc.

For the palico armor, you should see it under HR Standard Sets when you go to forge armor for it. There's nothing special, just a regular set of armor. Have you killed the HR version of Kadachi and gotten some body parts? It should appear.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the palico armor, you should see it under HR Standard Sets when you go to forge armor for it. There's nothing special, just a regular set of armor. Have you killed the HR version of Kadachi and gotten some body parts? It should appear.
Oh, I see yeah I kinda figured that's how it works I just really wanted confirmation the set exists and is available - I know it's nothing special just the cutest of the bunch, hah!

Well, I probably didn't kill that one on HR - I may have trapped it though, thing is I was looking in the missions / investigations (?) you can add, I just didn't see it, only low ranks... Low rank is blue star, high rank is red star, right?

Also almost obvious but yeah, I just didn't find a "hunt a Kadachi" one, have to look again...

Also what sucks, I noticed some sets aren't sets, they're just parts, like the scientist one is just glasses, lol, I'd want the whole outfit, looks like they didn't even make a whole set, pretty strange.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see how the Iai Slash works into the standard LS gameplan. I'm fine with LS getting super-wide slashes because I mostly like playing solo. You guys can have fun trying to slot in Flinch Free.

Mostly though I just want to spam it when doing the Code Red event quest.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
So what's a good build for starting out, are there general builds that are good for everything / most fights?

I made this, just as a test, would this be good?

My strengths are : running away as fast I can, "item collector" and buff master. ;)

Edit: wrong weapon type lol...

Got the right one now

None of these are skills that you really want for Long Sword. I haven't played in a few months so some of this might be off a bit, but to go through them:
  • Partbreaker is pretty much always bad unless you're doing some specialized Hammer KT-hunting thing.
  • Constitution is good for weapons that use Stamina—so, Dual Blades and Bow, basically. Long Sword doesn't need it.
  • Peak Performance is good if you are always at full health and otherwise isn't good at all. It gets most of its use on stuff like Lance that can play super aggressive, block everything, and heal chip with a health regen augment. On Long Sword, it won't do much.
  • Jump Master and Affinity Sliding are bad.
  • Evade Extender is bad for Long Sword. It's good on stuff like Lance or Gunlance that needs to reposition with hops to stay aggressive on the target. With Long Sword, you're plenty mobile with your weapon out and should be using Foresight Slash instead of dodge anyway. Attack Boost is fine.
  • Elemental Attack stuff really isn't good for Long Sword, so no Thunder Attack or Sleep Attack. Elemental builds are only good for stuff that is constantly dealing damage, so Bow and Dual Blades, mostly. Long Sword always, always wants raw damage instead.
  • Thunder Resistance, Stun Resistance, Divine Blessing: Thunder is good if you're making a dedicated Kirin-hunting set, otherwise doesn't matter at all. Stun Resistance and Divine Blessing aren't good.
  • Thunder Resistance 3: Again, there's no reason to have this unless you're only hunting Kirin.
You're still very early in the game and it isn't the end of the world if you wear gear that doesn't help you that much as you see more of it. That said, you generally want to be building toward stuff that includes stuff like:
  • Health Boost: Carting even once is worse for your damage than all the damage boosts in the game can make up for. Your number one goal is to never cart. This helps with that.
  • Handicraft/Protective Polish: Your damage hinges hugely on your weapon staying sharp. Finding space to sharpen a weapon mid-hunt can be dangerous and requires giving up huge damage windows. These skills help with that.
  • Weakness Exploit/Critical Eye/Critical Boost/Attack Boost/Maximum Might: As Long Sword, you provide zero utility. You don't stun monsters so your teammates can get hits in; you don't buff your teammates or clear status effects; you don't apply status effects; you don't help control the monster's movement and attack patterns by sticking to it. All you do is trip your teammates, cut tails, and deal damage. Might as well be good at dealing damage!
Again, just to be clear, I don't think you're going to be prevented from progressing in any meaningful way because your gear doesn't do anything for you. The game is very forgiving in that respect. If you know how to hunt a monster, you could go into the fight nude—maybe you'd kill it in 15 minutes instead of 12, but you wouldn't have a real problem. (That's less true for stuff like Bow that's super contingent on Stamina, but not for Long Sword.) So even though your gear is 'bad', it isn't, like, something you need to fix right away. You just might want to angle for gear that does more for you as you get farther in the game and start hunting Tempered Elder Dragons and stuff.

Last edited: