• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Peak Performance is good if you are always at full health and otherwise isn't good at all. It gets most of its use on stuff like Lance that can play super aggressive, block everything, and heal chip with a health regen augment. On Long Sword, it won't do much.
Not that a fresh player shouldn't really focus on Peak Performance, but I feel like I need to point out that it's actually a great skill for LS. PP is a phenomenal skill for LS because you can just avoid all damage with the foresight slash and LS cares a lot about raw damage because of the multipliers that the spirit levels give you.

Unless you're fighting Teo/Luna/Vaal or using the Jho LS, basically every meta LS build uses PP.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Not that a fresh player shouldn't really focus on Peak Performance, but I feel like I need to point out that it's actually a great skill for LS. PP is a phenomenal skill for LS because you can just avoid all damage with the foresight slash and LS cares a lot about raw damage because of the multipliers that the spirit levels give you.

Unless you're fighting Teo/Luna/Vaal or using the Jho LS, basically every meta LS build uses PP.
I totally agree with you, and I think a 'perfect' player could get a lot of value out of PP on basically any weapon. I run it on Lance and CB. That said, I was very much speaking to the experience of a player who still gets hit by monsters a few times a hunt. I think that if your Foresighting isn't totally on-point, you're gonna get more value out of Maximum Might or the "+atk when the monster is mad" skill I can't remember the name of right now.

But yeah, I should've been more clear. Similarly, Health Boost is only good if you're ever getting hit by monsters—that same 'perfect' player wouldn't get any value out of it, although the rest of us probably will.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I think that if your Foresighting isn't totally on-point, you're gonna get more value out of Maximum Might or the "+atk when the monster is mad" skill I can't remember the name of right now.
The real answer is to just run both, plus WEX3, Master's Touch, Crit Boost 3, etc.

The number of DPS skills you can stack is dumb.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks benj that's good to know, well, I was just thinking something that reduces stun would be good, that's seriously kinda annoying and happens a lot lol. Also the amount of divebombs I did during the last 3 or so dragon fights was nothing short of embarrassing (and super funny though tbh) ... Though I must say I'm kinda proud I didn't get carted outside the 2 times, I was getting almost one shotted often enough lol.

Err, wait, a longsword user can apply buffs though...? I got the supporter badge a couple of times...

I wish there was an auto craft feature for the stuff in item loadouts, that's seriously kinda tedious... I also don't know where half the stuff is... Trying to find the fireworks item since a while now, I had them now I don't..

I see there's one where you need blossom tickets, but that wasn't that... The only blossom ticket I had I wasted for a low level headgear... lol.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Two more weapons, as expected. Sword & Shield and Dual Blades.
Man, they're really going all in on Slinger Bursts and Clutch Claw. I wonder how useful they'll actually be though. Like, all of those Clutch Claw super moves are being done to exhausted monsters, which I don't expect to see a lot of given that this is a G-Rank equivalent.

Just-Frame moves for SnS is a cool, but weird idea. I guess they want to counter the idea that SnS is the weapon for beginners.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do I unlock Kulve Taroth Siege Quest ?

I already found a "golden scale" but what now? Is it a time limited thing?

That's something I immediately thought would be good for the LS, I'm also always either at the verge of dying or at least close to full health since pretty much every big monster seems to nearly one shot me so I *have* to be full health if I don't want to be carted all the time :p

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it wouldn't be particularly good for you if you are ever on the verge of dying. Trust me.

also, long sword doesn't apply buffs—not sure which badge you're referring to

in general, nerg gear is a solid start for Long Sword and most other weapons that focus on up-close damage. good stats, maximum might, some attack boost. solid stuff

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
the claw stuff is flashy enough but guaranteed damage in this game seems like it'd have to be pretty weak to not obsolesce other combat systems, so I'm assuming it's gonna work to raise the skill floor going into G-rank so that MH gets to go back to its old ways a bit without losing all its new player base. like, it could give players that are uncomfortable in G-rank a way of whittling them down and controlling the fight in relative safety? not sure

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Yeah, it wouldn't be particularly good for you if you are ever on the verge of dying. Trust me.

also, long sword doesn't apply buffs—not sure which badge you're referring to
You can get a "most buffs applied" badge if you are the only person that used any of the powders that affect the other hunters. No need to be rocking a hunting horn or armor with wide area.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
You can get a "most buffs applied" badge if you are the only person that used any of the powders that affect the other hunters. No need to be rocking a horn or wide area.
sure, but that isn't a buff that the long sword applies, that's just a tool everyone has access to

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got carted 3 times by a giant chicken WTH

I don't think you're going to be prevented from progressing in any meaningful way

Well that turned out to be wrong real quick. :)

Now I already need a really good giant chicken killer setup...!

There aren't any guides for this either, all I found was "hit it from the side" lol, which might even be good advice but doesn't sound like fun.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I just got carted 3 times by a giant chicken WTH

Well that turned out to be wrong real quick. :)

Now I already need a really good giant chicken killer setup...!

There aren't any guides for this either, all I found was "hit it from the side" lol, which might even be good advice but doesn't sound like fun.
What you experienced doesn't whatsoever make what I said wrong. Your gear is not preventing you from progressing. You learning the fight is the major hurdle.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
oh, yeah, I thought they were talking about an achievement thing! thanks for clarifying
Some people don't even play much (or any) online with others so I was not sure if we were on the same page regarding (useless) post-quest badges.
If anything, I think kageroo could do with reading the actual in-game tutorials instead of asking directly here. No offence intended but most of the stuff (though not all) is explained in-game. :)

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What you experienced doesn't whatsoever make what I said wrong. Your gear is not preventing you from progressing. You learning the fight is the major hurdle.
Yeah, I know, I wasn't entirely serious, but I bet better gear would help, I barely did any damage, I'd need some major buffs to make this fight somewhat endurable lol.

I know, neither kageroo understood what you were talking about nor did you when they talked about a buff badge appearing even when using a long sword. :P

Yeah, true, for me this stuff is kinda important though, more important than a stupid, useless trophy tbh, it took me until the elder dragon fights to figure it out, definitely good players use these buffs mainly to help weak players, I know that's how I even got so far, I got hit so much by the boss type monsters but they usually barely did any damage, hah. I know very well I got carried, and I have no problem with that, I hate "grinding" and like this I didn't need to do any and I had a lot of fun while playing - hence I said that was over quick, I'm not sure the "end game" is for me, or actually good designed tbh.

Anyways that was at last or second last boss fight, it was so cool haha

IMG_20190529_165418.jpg

Also, this, I wouldn't have survived otherwise... not a chance

IMG_20190529_171529.jpg

Some people don't even play much (or any) online with others so I was not sure if we were on the same page regarding (useless) post-quest badges.
If anything, I think kageroo could do with reading the actual in-game tutorials instead of asking directly here. No offence intended but most of the stuff (though not all) is explained in-game. :)

I wouldn't ask here if I found the answers in the game, I think the in-game explanations are pretty awful though, plus it's just too much -- I can't even find how I got the fireworks items... I had several, now I can't make them anymore -- I *need* them! (in case something cool happens) Lol >.<

But in all seriousness, my goal right now seems to be finding a good all-round build of sorts, I don't want to keep changing my set up all the time, that's just no fun to me, and as I said I'm not sure this "game after the game" is for me, but I think I can make it work (with a little help) :)

Last edited:

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
But in all seriousness, my goal right now seems to be finding a good all-round build of sorts, I don't want to keep changing my set up all the time, that's just no fun to me, and as I said I'm not sure this "game after the game" is for me, but I think I can make it work (with a little help) :)

If you don't like the grind (aka the core gameplay), this game might not be for you. However, if you enjoy the gameplay, look on YT and start watching JinJinx meta build videos alongside their explanation videos of how damage is calculated in MHW. That will give you an idea what to be working toward (i.e. Master's Touch with Drachen armor plus 100% affinity plus crit bonus for melee weapons, Spare Shot and Ammo Up for ranged). Because you can't get all those skills without grinding for decos, in the meantime, I'd prioritize protective polish, white sharpness, and as much affinity as you can stack. The Odogaron armor bonus has pro polish on it (until you get a sharp jewel) and was my starting set for the end game grind as a melee (LS) user.
Finally, the most efficient way to build affinity is weakness exploit. Start to understand monsters weak points and how you can play to consistently hit those points with your weapon of choice.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, this game's endgame being described as a grind doesn't make a lot of sense to me—it kept me away from the game for way longer than it should have. Yes, you run the same content over and over again, but it isn't mindless, trivial content you're just running for the sake of what you get out of it. It's not about the telos. The fights themselves are the fun parts, the parts and rewards you get for them are (to me) just to push you to have goals and objectives.

I get why people think it's a grind, but I'm surprised to hear people who have played through it describe it that way. It's like saying playing a fighting game online is a grind because you get MMR from it—sure, it's true that you have to do a lot of fights to progress, but the fights themselves are the heart of the game. If we're using the same word to describe running tempered Nerg over and over, improving and learning, and to describe catatonically killing mobs in WoW for six hours for rep, that word's definition is maybe so indistinct that it does more harm than good.

that said, I can totally understand someone not being into MHW's endgame. for me, as someone who is entirely allergic to MMO/JRPG-style grinding, running those fights over and over, learning answers to attacks, shaving ten seconds off my time, mastering another weapon, was all very very fun—getting crafting mats was the least important part of what i was doing

man i'm ready for iceborne

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I hate "grinding" and like this I didn't need to do any and I had a lot of fun while playing - hence I said that was over quick, I'm not sure the "end game" is for me, or actually good designed tbh.

I wouldn't ask here if I found the answers in the game, I think the in-game explanations are pretty awful though, plus it's just too much -- I can't even find how I got the fireworks items... I had several, now I can't make them anymore -- I *need* them! (in case something cool happens) Lol >.<

Honestly it sounds like MHW isn't for you (or Monster Hunter in general). If the core gameplay feels like a grind then play something else.

Like I remember the days of hardcore raiding in vanilla WoW.. doing NAXX40 was fun as hell, but spending the whole week farming for the mats needed.. that was a grind. What you're describing here as a grind is the fun part.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, this game's endgame being described as a grind doesn't make a lot of sense to me—it kept me away from the game for way longer than it should have. Yes, you run the same content over and over again, but it isn't mindless, trivial content you're just running for the sake of what you get out of it. It's not about the telos. The fights themselves are the fun parts, the parts and rewards you get for them are (to me) just to push you to have goals and objectives.

I get why people think it's a grind, but I'm surprised to hear people who have played through it describe it that way. It's like saying playing a fighting game online is a grind because you get MMR from it—sure, it's true that you have to do a lot of fights to progress, but the fights themselves are the heart of the game. If we're using the same word to describe running tempered Nerg over and over, improving and learning, and to describe catatonically killing mobs in WoW for six hours for rep, that word's definition is maybe so indistinct that it does more harm than good.

that said, I can totally understand someone not being into MHW's endgame. for me, as someone who is entirely allergic to MMO/JRPG-style grinding, running those fights over and over, learning answers to attacks, shaving ten seconds off my time, mastering another weapon, was all very very fun—getting crafting mats was the least important part of what i was doing

man i'm ready for iceborne

Yeah like I said I'm not sure it's for me, hence - again - I said "that was over quick" - somehow without the story it's missing the motivators to get going, and everything that felt convoluted feels now even more so, mind you it took me 60 hours or so to finish, that's not "too little" but now I just feel there should be more because it was so fun, now seems the fun is over and it feels like work ...

Also it's really dumb they give you this Yaku fight right after finishing story - "lol usually easy monster that now one shots you and that you barely do any damage to" - after you just fought a couple of pretty tough dragons successfully is just bad game design.

Basically half the gameplay is "make healing / other items" "try to figure out what these gems do and why you can't apply them to whatever you want" "try finding the right battles to give you the parts you need for your next upgrade or whatever" "what is affinity and how to get it" and so on...

The actual fights are fun but saying that's all there is to is only half the story.

Basically I don't have an issue per say with how it works, but there should really be more and better QOL features, like why doesn't it auto-craft the stuff I need when I select "restock" provided I do have the parts, and why doesn't it tell me which battles to choose for the materials each upgrade / part needs, this stuff is just tedious, and it's not fighting monsters, it's fighting menus. There really is a weird imbalance between how things work and how it's explained to you in the game, I have to look up every single thing, that really shouldn't be the case. It feels like they put a lot of effort in the actual mechanics and very little into explaining how they work for new players. "They tell you what it does but not how" is what I'm constantly thinking... There are worse grinds for sure - but I really think there's a weird emphasis on getting parts, trying out other weapons (so you get to grind more stuff) etc, it's really mostly a game design issue to me.

BUT that's just how it is, so I need to do research / ask questions, etc...

The true Monster Hunter refresher. A bit burned about repetitiveness? Try a weapon hardly used before and it's like a new game.
See, that's not it. I'm not burned out, I'll never use another weapon. I just need to know what to do next, how things actually work, etc, I need a clear path, I kinda had it as long I was playing the story, but now I feel lost and kinda misunderstood, I don't know if it's for me, or if there's actually enough content to keep players going (if you've noticed a lot of people saying how great it is don't even play anymore lol) but it's for mostly different reasons you guys seem to think.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I put more hours into this game than any other game in years. i don't think the fact that i'm not playing it now is really an indictment of the game's design. it came out over a year ago.

if the game isn't for you, that's fine. not everyone is going to like everything. i really can't see that as a game design failure, though. you are willfully, pointlessly limiting your own experience of the game by refusing to try other weapons or to learn its nuances, and then blaming the game for your having a limited experience of it. this game has so, so much novel, interesting, challenging content. you are making the choice to not engage with that content. that's totally your prerogative, its your game and your time, but you have to understand why people who have spent more time in the game, and approached it more flexibly, might not take your criticisms very seriously

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I put more hours into this game than any other game in years. i don't think the fact that i'm not playing it now is really an indictment of the game's design. it came out over a year ago.

if the game isn't for you, that's fine. not everyone is going to like everything. i really can't see that as a game design failure, though. you are willfully, pointlessly limiting your own experience of the game by refusing to try other weapons or to learn its nuances, and then blaming the game for your having a limited experience of it. this game has so, so much novel, interesting, challenging content. you are making the choice to not engage with that content. that's totally your prerogative, its your game and your time, but you have to understand why people who have spent more time in the game, and approached it more flexibly, might not take your criticisms very seriously

I was about to post something along these lines. I think I have 350 or so hours on the PS4 version and nearly 250 or so hours on the PC version. That's a drop in the bucket compared to some people.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
See, that's not it. I'm not burned out, I'll never use another weapon. I just need to know what to do next, how things actually work, etc, I need a clear path, I kinda had it as long I was playing the story, but now I feel lost and kinda misunderstood, I don't know if it's for me, or if there's actually enough content to keep players going (if you've noticed a lot of people saying how great it is don't even play anymore lol) but it's for mostly different reasons you guys seem to think.
Oh that was not directed at you. It was a general comment on how the game changes a great deal just by choosing a different weapon even if one is hunting the same monsters in the same environments which makes the "grind" less grindy.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I tried another weapon, gunlance, it sucked.

I read a lot of people saying the combat in this is clunky, I don't really agree, although I see why people could think so, but my problem is the menus are clunky as hell and stuff isn't explained well or at all.

I don't really understand what my weapon choice has to do with anything, the menus and everything is super unintuitive, using another weapon will only make it more frustrating / confusing...

I mean I have a million questions , I don't really want to discuss how bad the game's user interface is (very), I guess I'll have to look for answers where a more active playerbase is though, I see that now.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people here have been very attentive and helpful in answering your questions and helping you out with stuff.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I tried another weapon, gunlance, it sucked.

I read a lot of people saying the combat in this is clunky, I don't really agree, although I see why people could think so, but my problem is the menus are clunky as hell and stuff isn't explained well or at all.

I don't really understand what my weapon choice has to do with anything, the menus and everything is super unintuitive, using another weapon will only make it more frustrating / confusing...

I mean I have a million questions , I don't really want to discuss how bad the game's user interface is (very), I guess I'll have to look for answers where a more active playerbase is though, I see that now.

When you go in saying everything sucks you won't get a lot of help or sympathy. Think about this game as an extension of a series that people have played forever. I also had a lot of questions when the game was new and as I got answers and played things clicked. When I later got the PC version and leveled up again, I realized that most of my questions were answered by the game and tutorials.

There was a MHW for beginners thread where many of your questions are likely answered. I had forgotten it. I think you'll find my own frustrated posts from way, way back.

Link

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you go in saying everything sucks you won't get a lot of help or sympathy. Think about this game as an extension of a series that people have played forever. I also had a lot of questions when the game was new and as I got answers and played things clicked. When I later got the PC version and leveled up again, I realized that most of my questions were answered by the game and tutorials.

There was a MHW for beginners thread where many of your questions are likely answered. I had forgotten it. I think you'll find my own frustrated posts from way, way back.

Link

Well, I didn't mean to say everything sucks, then I simply wouldn't play, just that menus, tutorials and such are really convoluted and just not "good" hence I think simply asking on forums and such is easier as you usually get a straight answer and tips...

It's possible this is all in the game, problem is it's "seemingly" pretty convoluted and confusing and hard to impossible to understand for a beginner - and that's also pretty much my only complaint about this game, everything else is great...

Monster Hunter World: The Beginners' Hangout
It's linked in the first post of this thread but that thread's activity is dead. It probably still has useful information.

Ah, I didn't see that, I'll look into it thanks.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually I have 2 rather urgent questions ya'll could maybe answer though, which really annoy me to no end right now. -_-

Why does the game not remember the order I set things in my item bar, and why does the game not remember how I set up the "radial menu"?

I have to redo this every time I start the game, sometimes even between missions.

Basically, is this a glitch, is this just how the game is or am I doing something wrong?
(I save every time I set this up tho...)

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Actually I have 2 rather urgent questions ya'll could maybe answer though, which really annoy me to no end right now. -_-

Why does the game not remember the order I set things in my item bar, and why does the game not remember how I set up the "radial menu"?

I have to redo this every time I start the game, sometimes even between missions.

Basically, is this a glitch, is this just how the game is or am I doing something wrong?
(I save every time I set this up tho...)
For once this is a legit thing that the game is shit at explaining. Radial menu customizations are saved with your item combinations. Every time you choose a saved set of items from the box you use the radial configuration that was active when you saved it.
The solution is to customise your Radial menu configuration and then save the item set. In my case, my radial menu is almost the same for all my item sets.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of people here have been very attentive and helpful in answering your questions and helping you out with stuff.

For some reason since the update this site only loads like half the replies for me and the rest comes with a huge delay, so sorry for the late reply, and yes they did answer *most* questions and some stuff actually helped, other things I couldn't try because I don't know how or simply was distracted fighting with the archaic menus...

So I'm sorry if I came off as rude or anything, I'm just frustrated with some of these design decisions, because there *is* a good game behind all the clutter.

I mean it's also possible the gear really doesn't matter as much at the point where I am right now - not sure ... Maybe it gets less frustrating when I sorted my item bar / radial menu...

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, ok, I get it now, kinda...

I mean what everyone said was right and certainly pointed in the right direction, it's just so much for a beginner...

This actually helped me most, maybe good for others starting out too

They have all skills with explanations listed - because that's what's actually the hard part to figure out...

I now have a couple of armor parts and combinations I can work towards to - even if they might not turn out great, it's a good learning experience, I guess.

Maybe it gets less frustrating when I sorted my item bar / radial menu

That turned out to be true - that seriously was the most annoying thing that it kept resetting how I had it setup.

And I suck lol, I have no idea how I should solo an elder dragon - especially Vaal Hazak... It's not necessarily that I would be carted, but they jump around so much and with the sword you can't really keep them in their place, well I can't, I hardly hit them lol.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
And I suck lol, I have no idea how I should solo an elder dragon - especially Vaal Hazak... It's not necessarily that I would be carted, but they jump around so much and with the sword you can't really keep them in their place, well I can't, I hardly hit them lol.

Try to mitigate it's miasma as much as you can, and since traps won't work, bring a few barrel bombs. Unfortunately you need to defeat a few before you can craft the armor that helps the fights be easier.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, ok, I get it now, kinda...

I mean what everyone said was right and certainly pointed in the right direction, it's just so much for a beginner...

This actually helped me most, maybe good for others starting out too

They have all skills with explanations listed - because that's what's actually the hard part to figure out...

I now have a couple of armor parts and combinations I can work towards to - even if they might not turn out great, it's a good learning experience, I guess.

That turned out to be true - that seriously was the most annoying thing that it kept resetting how I had it setup.

Val has so many opening and is so slow. Also use some miadma gems

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what, did Hammer really didn't get any new moveset or even buff to existing moveset (like GS) ???

HH Echo bubble thingie looks interesting.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HH echo wave looks delicious. Can't wait for Lance, hopefully they give the same love to my other baby.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so what you guys think?

Base outfit (armor) is Bone alpha

Now I think either

+ Dragon King alpha eyepatch (weakness exploit) + Odogaron Greaves alpha or beta (critical eye + quick seath)

Or

Odogaron Helm (critical eye) + Odogaron Greaves

?

That wouldn't be completely wrong, aye?

Also eyeing Vaal Hazak (Peak performance / effluvia resistance) that seems pretty good too?

Deviljho looks also good but I don't really have any materials for that.