• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so what you guys think?

Base outfit (armor) is Bone alpha

Now I think either

+ Dragon King alpha eyepatch (weakness exploit) + Odogaron Greaves alpha or beta (critical eye + quick seath)

Or

Odogaron Helm (critical eye) + Odogaron Greaves

?

That wouldn't be completely wrong, aye?

Also eyeing Vaal Hazak (Peak performance / effluvia resistance) that seems pretty good too?

Deviljho looks also good but I don't really have any materials for that.

You will be wearing the Eyepatch until the end of time.

The VH stuff I mostly just use for that encounter personally, but perhaps in the context of what you have available it is good.

Or maybe you're the person that sees tenderizer decos every week. I've only ever had 1 and it was ~600 hours in.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The VH stuff I mostly just use for that encounter personally, but perhaps in the context of what you have available it is good.

Or maybe you're the person that sees tenderizer decos every week. I've only ever had 1 and it was ~600 hours in.

So you're saying the eye patch is good? 😁
. Eyepatch plus Odo 4 pieces. See my previous post.

Yeah that's what got me to look at the Odogaron set, I liked the look already but wasn't sure it's any good for my build. :)

Also, uh , is there any way to prevent sub lvl 20 players from joining me? I mean technically they can join obviously but it's not gonna work, most of them cart 3 times within record time, lol, I can't carry them... Maybe if I get that eye patch? :p (lol probably still no)

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017

Holy moly you must be unlucky. I have a metric ton of those it seems like.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
So you're saying the eye patch is good? 😁

Yeah that's what got me to look at the Odogaron set, I liked the look already but wasn't sure it's any good for my build. :)

Also, uh , is there any way to prevent sub lvl 20 players from joining me? I mean technically they can join obviously but it's not gonna work, most of them cart 3 times within record time, lol, I can't carry them... Maybe if I get that eye patch? :p (lol probably still no)
no, you can't, and it's good that you can't because level isn't really an indicator of player skill. I fucked out of the story for a while near the end and when I finally did clear Xeno, I instantly leveled to 29, then did the bazel quest, then instantly leveled to the late 30's.

there's later, harder content they won't be able to join you on. the stuff you're doing now, sub-20 players can definitely handle. otherwise, you could hunt alone!

and yes, the eye patch is great. less core than it was on release, but you can still put it on basically any build

benj

Oct 27, 2017
that said, if you want to help your team to do well, there are lots of things you can do. Hunting Horn can buff your teammates, there are SnS wide-range (and LBG) builds that are incredibly good at support, and weapons like the Hammer and the Charge Blade are super good at controlling the monster and knocking it around so it has less uptime

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no, you can't, and it's good that you can't because level isn't really an indicator of player skill. I fucked out of the story for a while near the end and when I finally did clear Xeno, I instantly leveled to 29, then did the bazel quest, then instantly leveled to the late 30's.

there's later, harder content they won't be able to join you on. the stuff you're doing now, sub-20 players can definitely handle. otherwise, you could hunt alone!

and yes, the eye patch is great. less core than it was on release, but you can still put it on basically any build
Haha, yeah, well they definitely couldn't - idk might have glitched out or something, I noticed they just updated the events so online has been wonky -- however it makes sense these quests were HR16, so they should have been able to handle it, they kept dying anyways -- and that's dumb and I'm kinda super short on resources lol.

I mean I also couldn't even try to carry them some of these monsters I fight for the first time (in Elder Recess)

Level 100-999 players is definitely preferred - I really have all hands to do staying alive here lmao (but it's definitely fun)

Well I guess I'll become a pirate now! :)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonking Eyepatch is one of the few pieces of armor from the vanilla release that's still used in meta builds even after all of the updates. Even after all of the Arch-Tempered Elders, and Behemoth, it's still there in a decent number of builds.

"The Little Eyepatch That Could" in a way. I'll sad if we don't get a new version in Iceborne.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Lance didn't seem to get much but wyrmstake blast looks nice even though people tell me stakes are generally bad for DPS. I never cared that much for DPS though so if it's satisfying to use I just will. :P

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
So the GL gets one of the LBG mines, except it sticks to the monster and takes 10 years to set up.

I sleep.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lance didn't seem to get much
I'm always happy for more guarding options, especially with that clutch claw guard. It's always infuriating when a monster runs at you and then ends up so far away on the other side that it's already running at you again when you've reached it, Diablos.

In any case, even the basic "slinger while weapon is drawn" is a huge bonus. Being able to dung and flash monsters without having to slowly sheathe your fortress is going to be amazing.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, some people really shouldn't join though, they keep "fainting" for no reason lol.

From now on if someone faints 2 times within 3 minutes I'm gonna kick them or abandon the quest... Seriously restocking items is so annoying - and I definitely need them because I'm not the one that's gonna keep dying lol >.>

Oh, well *sighs*

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Is it me or does that charge blade new move take forever to complete?
You mean the shield rotating in Axe Mode? Watched the video a couple of time and it seems like it's a new way to "charge" the weapon.

In the video the player goes into SAED, cancels it, resulting in a rotating shield. From that point, I'm only seeing regular combos for the CB Axe mode, but now THERE'S A POINTY SHIELD ROTATING AT ITS TIP MUHAHAHAAHAHA. EDIT : And it might give you Mind's Eye while in Axe Mode mirroring what you get for charging phials into the sword? Would be cool to get something else than just "moar damage".

So it feels like an extra option out of SAED wind-up : you can cancel it to charge the shield, you can go into a regular AED, obviously let it go into SAED, OR go into this new mode. I'm guessing it cancels as soon as you sheathe your weapon or go back into Sword and Shield mode (edit : from the video, it seems like it also cancels when you use an AED while in this new mode", going from the animation I'd bet you activate it by pressing B/Circle during the SAED/AED windup)

Another tool in the Swiss Army Charge Blade, feels good man.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Flare less, join more. This way you can preview who will be your partner and it might help. Another option is disabling autojoin so you can review players before allowing them to join.
Oh right, I forgot you can turn off auto join...

And yeah it really helps soloing monsters and learn what they're doing and how to actually fight them - I just fought a level 5 diablos and fainted once, but now I know how to tackle him... I guess!

I really like going with a team against the stronger monsters though, it just feels less grindy that way - but yeah lol that comes with its own downsides.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Oh right, I forgot you can turn off auto join...

And yeah it really helps soloing monsters and learn what they're doing and how to actually fight them - I just fought a level 5 diablos and fainted once, but now I know how to tackle him... I guess!

I really like going with a team against the stronger monsters though, it just feels less grindy that way - but yeah lol that comes with its own downsides.
I wasn't telling you play to solo. What I meant is that if it's you who is joining others quests, it's easier to "choose" your team-mates.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't telling you play to solo. What I meant is that if it's you who is joining others quests, it's easier to "choose" your team-mates.
Oh, yeah, I know I was just pointing out it helps going solo, especially against weaker monsters to learn their patterns.

Lol, repeat from earlier, level 29 joined and died... Against "Beetle Juice" I have no idea how it's called, and it's two of them...
So I need fire resistance for that one huh? It nearly one shots me, I don't even know with what (I think it's just running me over lol)

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Actually, doing the double alpha Beetlejuice solo is "easier" than with randos. Just did it, yay.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Oh, yeah, I know I was just pointing out it helps going solo, especially against weaker monsters to learn their patterns.

Lol, repeat from earlier, level 29 joined and died... Against "Beetle Juice" I have no idea how it's called, and it's two of them...
So I need fire resistance for that one huh? It nearly one shots me, I don't even know with what (I think it's just running me over lol)
He has scales on him that are exploding. He is running you over and triggering them.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Charge Blade getting more non-SAED uses for axe is exactly what I want. Hell yeah.

also, kageroo, re: you talking about restocking items being a pain—are you using the auto restock?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kinda surprised that CB get something of substance. Also they didn't mention the Clutch Claw at all, which is weird. I'm not sure how useful the Savage Axe boost will be though. Unless it's a big boost, I'll just stick to sword mode and SAEDs.

I hope they make ZED better for SA. I didn't play SA a lot, but everything I saw/heard made it seem like using it was just a liability with no good payoff.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually kinda surprised that CB get something of substance. Also they didn't mention the Clutch Claw at all, which is weird. I'm not sure how useful the Savage Axe boost will be though. Unless it's a big boost, I'll just stick to sword mode and SAEDs.

I hope they make ZED better for SA. I didn't play SA a lot, but everything I saw/heard made it seem like using it was just a liability with no good payoff.
Just being able to use the claw in Sword&Shield mode is pretty cool. As it is, the weapon is super versatile so I'm fine with other weapons getting "awesome" upgrades in Iceborn.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Just being able to use the claw in Sword&Shield mode is pretty cool. As it is, the weapon is super versatile so I'm fine with other weapons getting "awesome" upgrades in Iceborn.
I'm fine with that. I was mostly surprised because just about every other teaser was "Here's this thing you can do with Slinger bursts! Here's the Clutch Claw! Here's a new move (maybe, sorry Hammer)!"

Edit: Someone posted details of the new stuff on Reddit. It seems reliable? I guess?

Edit 2: An important thought that I just had.

If the post on Reddit is true, then the real benefit for the new spinning axe charge is that it should allow players to make meta non-phial damage builds. If this is powerful enough, we could finally see raw CB builds without Artillery 3 and whichever CB has the highest raw at the expense of every other stat.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I would argue that going solo is almost always best, unless you're doing something trivial later like farming the crown missions. Or it's something obvious like KT and Behemoth, though I did those solo to the degree possible.

Of course it depends on your teammates, but I find that my pug teams rarely compensate for the increased monster HP.

Was doing one of the trivial missions like that the other day in a group and got a critical phone call. Notified the group so they wouldn't think I was just dicking around, got told I was a fucking clown for not having my phone wired into my headset "like everyone else" so I didn't inconvenience them. Multiplayer in a nutshell.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I've found that there's a lot more to these video than initially meets the eye. Just have to find someone who slows it downs and takes it apart. That charge blade video has a lot. Switch Axe one even had something that I initially missed.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, competitive CB builds that aren't based around SAED spam is what a lot of people have wanted—that's why i was excited by that video. it makes sense that they'd add it, too. even if it's still a phial/artillery build, something that makes more use of AED/axe attacks would be incredible

Sir Laguna

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like nobody is fighting the Ancient Lashen today :(

Couldn't find any SOS Flares or sessions. Nobody join my hunt either and this monster is INCREDIBLY HARD solo.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
According to Gaijin the Axe finisher on SA buffs axe mode and staggers monsters easier after using it. Should be fun wild swinging afterwards.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Viewing trailers again:

Pour 2 more out for anyone hoping for unique weapon models for the new monsters, with the Banbaro SA being new-Bone + Banbaro bits and the Beotodus looking like the tier 2 iron CB with fish bits.

Also it goes without saying but the Beo CB is Ice Power Element. So it's basically worthless unless it has 500 Ice.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's kinda funny when I do level 16 quests I have tons of really high levels joining, but when I do level 29 double beetle juice I get level 29-35 players (which I wouldn't mind if they didn't keep carting lol)

Actually, doing the double alpha Beetlejuice solo is "easier" than with randos. Just did it, yay.

Yeah, I believe so too, since it's nearly impossible to do with randoms, though it's definitely a bit of luck who joins too...

He has scales on him that are exploding. He is running you over and triggering them.
Ah yes, that must be it.

So is there a firestone or something I could equip? I can dodge him and everything but that one run over me while exploding his scales attack gets me every time (most of the time)

But yes, the other players are definitely distracting me in this quest ...
"... has fainted... " Jebus.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Well it's kinda funny when I do level 16 quests I have tons of really high levels joining, but when I do level 29 double beetle juice I get level 29-35 players (which I wouldn't mind if they didn't keep carting lol)
The people who join this quest have their HR progress stuck on it. Like you. Higher level players avoid this quest like the plague because it's crowded with the people that you are describing. People who cart fast.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That quest stops you from progressing past HR29, so it's not surprising you're getting a lot of 29ers trying to break their HR cap.

It's a bitch of a quest, though. It's a common wall for players and someone's carting every 5 seconds, which is probably why high HR players avoid it like the plague. Your best bet is to bring the two Bazels together and let them beat the crap out of each other before you start actively fighting.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The best way I know of dealing with Bazelguese (tempered or otherwise) is...

Rapid Fire Thunder Ammo Light Bowgun

This stuff chews through Bazel like nothing else, and because it's ranged you get to stay the fuck away from him while he impotently blows up the ground. It shouldn't be hard to make a basic Kadachi LBG and just throw on some equally basic skills (Thunder Damage 3, some Expert, etc.) and then just go to town on them.

The people who join this quest have their HR progress stuck on it. Like you. Higher level players avoid this quest like the plague because it's crowded with the people that you are describing. People who cart fast.
I don't think higher rank players can even do this quest after they beat it without searching for it via SOS. Is it repeatable?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I don't think higher rank players can even do this quest after they beat it without searching for it via SOS. Is it repeatable?
It is not repeatable but I'm talking about higher ranked players joining the multiple SOS that exist.
I'll sometimes join LR quests to play the healer and get some LR materials (even if I know it's slower) because, why not?
But twin Bazel SOS? Not even once.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It is not but I'm talking about higher ranked players joining the multiple SOS that exist.
I'll sometimes join LR quests to play the healer and get some LR materials (even if I know it's slower) because, why not?
But twin Bazel SOS? Not even once.
I guess. I never really indulged in helping out random players once I got the trophy for it. I figure if I'm gonna hunt it'll be for specific stuff or to see if I can't get a new fastest time for killing something.

I should probably be more charitable, but eh...

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
It can be a shit-show. I remember joining this LR Anjanath assignment quest with two players. About 3 minutes had passed when I joined. As soon as I land in the camp the message of one player fainting appears. I think: "At least let me get to the Anjanath so I can heal you". I arrive to where Anjanath was and the hunter that hadn't fainted proceeds to faint almost immediately despite my Wide Area efforts to keep him topped up. The quest fails which means someone had managed to faint in the 3 minutes before I joined. The hunter that was responsible for the last faint never even considered playing it safely or healing while his/her partners were getting to where he/she was.
Sometimes it happens. One has to go with a certain attitude accepting that things might go wrong but when they don't people will probably be thankful of one's help even if I'm just healing and buffing, not carrying them.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Trying to get back into the game and just did Lunastra/Teostra...

What a nightmare :( How do I even deal with Lunastra's version of the Blast explosion? She just continously covers everything in flames and I die every time lmao.
Definitely the least fun Fight for me (Lunastra mostly)

What is there for me to play besides Lunastra, DevilJho and the Witcher event? Are those the only updates?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get back into the game and just did Lunastra/Teostra...

What a nightmare :( How do I even deal with Lunastra's version of the Blast explosion? She just continously covers everything in flames and I die every time lmao.
Definitely the least fun Fight for me (Lunastra mostly)

What is there for me to play besides Lunastra, DevilJho and the Witcher event? Are those the only updates?
1) How to deal with Luna's big explosion:

Best way to deal with it is the Fireproof Mantle and Astera Jerky (it'll heal the huge amount of red health damage you get). Second best way is to just spam the Superman dive again and again and again to avoid as much damage as possible.

If you use Flash Pods on her when she's mad, she'll explode. This can be really good though because if you throw a Flash Pod and immediately toss a Farcaster, you'll stay safe and get her out of rage mode.

2) There's also the Behemoth stuff and Kulve Taroth (if she's available). Don't forget those.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, I usually fire an SOS and then take a stroll, collect stuff , watch what the monster does, etc until someone's joins me.

But yeah I truly believe this quest is easier alone unless I get really lucky with some 999lvl pro carrier joining, I already got them to drop some parts, altho that could just be them fighting each other lmao

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
1) How to deal with Luna's big explosion:

Best way to deal with it is the Fireproof Mantle and Astera Jerky (it'll heal the huge amount of red health damage you get). Second best way is to just spam the Superman dive again and again and again to avoid as much damage as possible.

If you use Flash Pods on her when she's mad, she'll explode. This can be really good though because if you throw a Flash Pod and immediately toss a Farcaster, you'll stay safe and get her out of rage mode.

2) There's also the Behemoth stuff and Kulve Taroth (if she's available). Don't forget those.
This is some good advice, thank you very much.
About Kulve, she was available a couple days ago, but if I understood correctly you can only play this quest with other Hunters that are present in your gathering hub?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That quest stops you from progressing past HR29, so it's not surprising you're getting a lot of 29ers trying to break their HR cap.

It's a bitch of a quest, though. It's a common wall for players and someone's carting every 5 seconds, which is probably why high HR players avoid it like the plague. Your best bet is to bring the two Bazels together and let them beat the crap out of each other before you start actively fighting.
Oh. Yeah that makes sense and they're truly awful 29ers so far lol. "Just stop dying for 5 minutes my dude..."

And yeah, that's the plan. :)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
This is some good advice, thank you very much.
About Kulve, she was available a couple days ago, but if I understood correctly you can only play this quest with other Hunters that are present in your gathering hub?
I mean, you can technically hunt her solo but I absolutely would not recommend it because it's a complete slog. As far as most people are concerned she's multiplayer only.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Third time was the charm. Wow, I didn't faint until the last 4, 5 minutes but then twice in a row lol...

But the trick with join settings definitely worked, holy shit this was tough, with the sword. >.<

I did much better on my second attempt weirdly , I guess I was nervous.

So level 31 now and still a noob haha.

At this pace I'll get the hang of it at level 100 or so (I didn't find anything against fire dammit)