• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Is the Light bowgun considered a weak weapon later on in HR?
I want to play a ranged weapon and the hbg is just too slow for me. So my only options are either bow or lbg. Im mostly playing solo so I want a weapon that won't take me too long to take monsters down.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
I want to play a ranged weapon and the hbg is just too slow for me. So my only options are either bow or lbg. Im mostly playing solo so I want a weapon that won't take me too long to take monsters down.
LBG's can do a ton of damage. They're what I used to fight AT Kirin and AT Kushala.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
LBGs are great. Probably the safest weapon to use in the entire game while still providing good DPS. Bow is also good and you won't need to gather a bunch of ammo for it (or worry about what kind you need to build to get the right ammo that you want).

Either or will work super well for the rest of the story.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every weapon does around the same damege. There isn't really a weak weapon in monster Hunter

benj

Oct 27, 2017
LBG is fun. Its main strength is its ability to induce status effects, which means that it scales heavily off of how many teammates you're hunting with, and their respective abilities to take advantage of stuff like paralysis and sleep. I think it's among the slowest weapons in solo play, but that isn't saying much in this game.

The Bow is stronger and easily has one of the most unbalanced effort:impact ratios in the game as far as damage is concerned. Its playstyle is also considerably more dynamic, the dash/charge system is really really fun when you have the stamina and the experience to make it work. It also kind of blows the game open, at least as far as doing solo runs is concerned, so maybe be careful on that front.

I super don't think it's true that every weapon deals the same amount of damage in equally-skilled hands, but definitely every weapon in the game is more than viable.

Last edited:

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
LBG is fun. Its main strength is its ability to induce status effects, which means that it scales heavily off of how many teammates you're hunting with, and their respective abilities to take advantage of stuff like paralysis and sleep. I think it's among the slowest weapons in solo play, but that isn't saying much in this game.

The Bow is stronger and easily has one of the most unbalanced effort:impact ratios in the game as far as damage is concerned. Its playstyle is also considerably more dynamic, the dash/charge system is really really fun when you have the stamina and the experience to make it slow. It also kind of blows the game open, at least as far as doing solo runs is concerned, so maybe be careful on that front.

I super don't think it's true that every weapon deals the same amount of damage in equally-skilled hands, but definitely every weapon in the game is more than viable.
The bolded is true and I hate how the community propagates this myth. The weapons are not even close to well balanced and no monster hunter game has ever had well balanced weapons in terms of strength. Bow and HBG are head and shoulders above everything else in the vast majority of matchups. There are always winners and losers in the MH weapon balance lottery, and people acting like they are all equal strength doesn't help in addressing that issue.

LBG is a solid high tier, especially on more difficult content like Arch Tempereds. It's pretty good in world.
Bow is arguably the best in the game and is also very strong at applying statuses.
Honestly you can't go wrong with any ranged weapon in world. They are all very powerful.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The weapons are absolutely not balanced, but for a solid 90+% of the people playing World it doesn't matter.

Except for Cluster spam because literally anyone can do that.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how you would balance them since effectiveness of each weapon changes dynamically during the fight based on circumstances (which can be moderately controlled) and player skill

Now we take player skill and ingenuity out of the equation and assume optimal play than yeah I'm sure gaps appear but then you have to consider the goal of the player

If you are looking for speed you build to maximum dps, if you are looking for safety you may opt for a different mix, if you are looking to cheese you may be switching weapons

Look im not arguing that there isn't really balance but I also dont think its that simple. Though with Vanilla World its probably the easiest game when pointing out where the meta lies i guess? I would have to research what the go to setups were for previous games

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
Every few days I check online to see if the PC version has gone on sale for 20$ yet. I don't know how this game escaped the constant culture of discounts. It blows my mind that the historical low is just 30$. For a PC port! Capcom, give me a break. You're making it hard to double dip.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Every few days I check online to see if the PC version has gone on sale for 20$ yet. I don't know how this game escaped the constant culture of discounts. It blows my mind that the historical low is just 30$. For a PC port! Capcom, give me a break. You're making it hard to double dip.
If you let PS+ lapse then getting the ultimate edition on PC will cost the same as Iceborne and PS+ on PS4. Thats my particular boat.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True lol. For me it was "If I don't pay for plus and buy a PC instead I can even save money in the long run *and* have supposedly better performance..."

In other news, beat the Diablos, well I didn't even see it lol, but that was a good run, unlocked augmentations finally, for bowguns, but whatever. I guess I'll just try to upgrade my gear first now?

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Iceborne will let you disable individual parts of the HUD, as well as scout-flies it sounds like (no more neck snaps!)

I think I heard there was basically a photo mode as well, so these are both great changes.

Oct 29, 2017
Philadelphia
Finally made the switch from ranged weapons to melee. Having a blast with sword and shield and have since moved on to hammer. There's something amazingly satisfying about those hammer blows being landed and KO'ing the monster.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea if HDR is changed in the beta of Iceborne compared to retail?

Edit:
Beta is not live yet? Stupid me. Title screen is great though :P

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is that even possible? I thought LR players couldn't join HR hunts in MP till they'd gotten to the appropriate rank?
Well I *think* it's a HR 30 quest and yes, 90% of level 30-50 don't last longer than a few minutes - honestly the Black Diablos hits hard, I have Divine Blessing, Health - Defense boost and he still nearly one hit kills me.

That said I had a couple of "level 30" players joining who were absolute pros at this lol.

This quest is one of my favs so far, it's really interesting, one time someone killed the Diablos faster than 3 of us others were able to kill the Barroth.

It's just frustrating if you're really trying your best because you know it's hard and some "low levels" keep fainting left and right lol

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
It's so shitty that the beta is exclusive, especially after Xbox multiplayer was basically broken in the beginning because they never had an xbox beta.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Gold Ice Fellsword any good?

Idk where it came from, probably from KT event which I played like 3 times lol.

I might betray my Longsword after all... But only if it's a good sword!? :o

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

It's from KT.

I'm not expert on GreatSword and it's been a while since I played, but based on the info from wiki, I don't think it's good.

Really really really low Raw damage, element are useless for GreatSword (also mean it can't benefit from Non-Elemental-Boost skill), and no gem slot. The only thing it have going on is Purple Sharpness, which I don't think enough to substitute for all the negative above.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017

The general rule with Kulve Taroth weapons is that anything with "gold" in the name is not good.
If it says "Taroth" in the name, then it's worth keeping (they're generally a slight upgrade to one of the regular crafted max-upgraded weapons).
If it says "K'jarr" on it then it's a top-tier weapon from the arch-tempered fight. These generally take a max-level crafted weapon and add the "critical [element/status]" perk, making them very strong if you match the element to a monster that's weak to it.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

In general you want to stick to raw damage with greatswords. Elemental damage isn't that great on them. You pretty much can't beat wyvern ignition

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Did they add any surprise guests to the hunts? I won't be able to play until around noon, but my curiosity is overwhelming.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Did Witcher's quest last night and it was great! I love how it plays like a quest from The Witcher 3, music and all that.

I underestimated the Kulu Yaku Final Fantasy one, it sent me home twice, that freaking jump attack one shot me every time.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Damn I got mauled by Tigrex. He does a ton of damage and I haven't played in a while. His ranged attack is a pain to deal with.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Tigrex is alot of fun, and like how you can ride with the monsters as there moving area now and just continue to beat them down!

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Won't be able to try beta until tonight, so i have to know how is the new SnS combo? I heard you can do it after a backhop which sounds awesome.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I am feeling very overwhelmed by this game. I can't even pick a weapon. I think I am going to go bow.
Bow's a good weapon to start with. Only reservation I might have is that you take more damage when using a ranged weapon, but you have an easier job staying out of they way to make up for it.

When in doubt, try everything out in the training room.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first Monster Hunter game. I picked it up on sale a couple weeks ago.

Whew ok man

Despite this being the most accessible game in the series it does require some investment

The very first step is picking a weapon you are comfortable with. Try them all (there is a training room in the demo) and see what speaks to your playstyle

Then I recommend this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQmqyIEXQH4

Though this mostly applies to playing the main game and not this demo but it should have a lot of the basics covered

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Will be able to play demo later today - can one still set up private sessions on the beta to play with friends or is the matching only random for the beta?

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Is it me or has the sound been revamped in the iceborne demo? melee and shots sound really meaty now.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, alright thanks guys, so no "great" great sword lol, figures...

By the way since this is my first MH too, I don't really get the "charge attack" of the Longsword, they say the red bar has to glow, but it basically never does, it's just red? So obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can someone explain this "helm breaker" thing to me? I feel that's pretty essential but yeah I'm kind of at loss, if randomly works but usually doesn't.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, alright thanks guys, so no "great" great sword lol, figures...

By the way since this is my first MH too, I don't really get the "charge attack" of the Longsword, they say the red bar has to glow, but it basically never does, it's just red? So obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can someone explain this "helm breaker" thing to me? I feel that's pretty essential but yeah I'm kind of at loss, if randomly works but usually doesn't.

Long sword is about building the spirit gauge

You do this by making the icon fill up with a red bar through normal hits then switching to your R2 spirit combo

To Level up your gauge you need to land the spirit combo finisher (last hit)

This will upgrade the gauge to the next spirit level (white). Repeat the process to reach Yellow and then finally Red. This gauge is basically what fuels your damage output and what gives you access to helm splitter.

You need at least White or higher to use helmsplitter. (R2 plus triangle)

This is just the basics. There are a few more key mechanics like fade slashes, foresight slash and the fade slash rush in

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's really the opposite of that. An augmented Jagras sword or the (superior) Wyvern Ignition and you're done. Those are so good that all the other GS are generally pointless. It kinda sucks.
I think the Jagras Hacker III got dethroned by Anguish, but that's only for people are waiting for the next festival to make Wyvern Ignition.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Long sword is about building the spirit gauge

You do this by making the icon fill up with a red bar through normal hits then switching to your R2 spirit combo

To Level up your gauge you need to land the spirit combo finisher (last hit)

This will upgrade the gauge to the next spirit level (white). Repeat the process to reach Yellow and then finally Red. This gauge is basically what fuels your damage output and what gives you access to helm splitter.

You need at least White or higher to use helmsplitter. (R2 plus triangle)

This is just the basics. There are a few more key mechanics like fade slashes, foresight slash and the fade slash rush in
Hmm, I see, seems complicated.

And I've seen people do the helm splitter - the one with this special sound - several times in a row with basically not much in between, is that a cheat or how it really works? (I suppose that works once the weapon is "fully" charged?)

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I see, seems complicated.

And I've seen people do the helm splitter - the one with this special sound - several times in a row with basically not much in between, is that a cheat or how it really works? (I suppose that works once the weapon is "fully" charged?)

you need a minimum of at least one spirit charge

Youll know when you have it as your sword will glow with the color of the charge level its holding

There are a couple shortcuts to landing a spirit finisher to gain a charge level. But you have to fill your meter with regular attacks since using R2 attacks drains it

The shortcuts I remember are Fade Slash Rush in to Spirit Combo, Foresight Slash Counter, and Jumping R2