• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I finally got to play around a bit and the hits sounded a lot squishier than in Vanilla.

I also forgot how awful these betas are for veterans. Can't believe they always start out with that "Open the map" bit.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, I just cannot beat Tigrex with the default beta bow, items, and armor skills. The 20 minute time limit is rough too.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, alright thanks guys, so no "great" great sword lol, figures...

By the way since this is my first MH too, I don't really get the "charge attack" of the Longsword, they say the red bar has to glow, but it basically never does, it's just red? So obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can someone explain this "helm breaker" thing to me? I feel that's pretty essential but yeah I'm kind of at loss, if randomly works but usually doesn't.
I'd watch an Arekkz video if it's hard to understand. Or read this: Kiranico Long Sword guide.

Learning to use the Helm Breaker is a super important part of being a good Long Sword user, along with building gauge and using Foresight Slash. A lot of your damage comes from getting to maximum gauge and expending it on Helm Breaker—without it, you're going to be contributing way less damage than other weapons. So it's worth figuring out, even if it takes a few minutes in the practice room! You want to get the gauge to this point:

longsword_gauge_3.png

as fast as possible in every fight.

Also, there's nothing random about how it works (or about any other weapon, fwiw). It's totally deterministic, you just have to learn how to execute it.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I see, seems complicated.

And I've seen people do the helm splitter - the one with this special sound - several times in a row with basically not much in between, is that a cheat or how it really works? (I suppose that works once the weapon is "fully" charged?)

I see LongSword as low skill floor, high skill ceiling weapon.

On one hand, it's super easy to pick up and even doing basic Spirit Slash spam can net decent damage. But it's also one of the more technical weapon if one dive into it's more advanced moveset like Foresight Slash, Spirit HelmBreaker and upcoming Iai Draw (look ridiculously hard to pulloff).

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I think all MHW weapons have pretty comparable skill floors, maybe excepting the ranged weapons. If you're really hapless in a fight, you're gonna get knocked around and cart pretty quick. Long Sword is definitely higher skill-floor than most weapons in that its basic combos and resource management are on par with, like, Switch Axe for requiring zero thought or experience. Build gauge, push button, build gauge, push button. Using Helmbreaker isn't whatsoever demanding or complicated.

Foresight Slash is the only really tricky part of the kit, and using it well requires being able to read monsters, but I still think Long Sword has one of the lower skill ceilings of the weapons in the game. Once you have Foresight Slash down, that's pretty much it—you've got the weapon. I think stuff like Great Sword and Lance requires more nuanced reads, and stuff like Charge Blade and Hunting Horn are way more technical when you really dig into their movesets.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd watch an Arekkz video if it's hard to understand. Or read this: Kiranico Long Sword guide.

Learning to use the Helm Breaker is a super important part of being a good Long Sword user, along with building gauge and using Foresight Slash. A lot of your damage comes from getting to maximum gauge and expending it on Helm Breaker—without it, you're going to be contributing way less damage than other weapons. So it's worth figuring out, even if it takes a few minutes in the practice room! You want to get the gauge to this point:

longsword_gauge_3.png

as fast as possible in every fight.

Also, there's nothing random about how it works (or about any other weapon, fwiw). It's totally deterministic, you just have to learn how to execute it.
Oh, boy. I just don't know which buttons to press tbh. >.<

I had similar issues with TEKKEN until someone explained to me what the notations actually mean... and I'm a pretty decent Tekken player now (after many years of practicing)
But yeah, I read that tutorial and similar ones, I'm completely lost, *if this* *then this*... I'd just need to know which buttons to press in which order to be totally honest. :p

Seriously I'm sure I'll get it, but at the moment I just don't understand..
I think I'm doing it right but apparently I don't... >.<

That said I've never actively seen the *outlines* of the sword icon like that, so that's at least small progress . :)

In other news, I got "Kjarr Spark" is that any good? Lol, it has to be... It's a Kjarr...

But I get it, it doesn't have white sharpness from what I'm seeing, so "Fire" it is huh...

Well that was actually fun though, I got in a pretty good group and we beat KT, like nothing haha. ;)

Edit: umm, this weapon *is* good... Feels better than my Calamity Reaver for sure...

Should I put Thunder Attack gem on it since it has thunder element already?

And, woop, did it twice in a row (first one missed tho lol)... Idk I'm doing always the same thing honestly - and I know that's not the best / easiest way...

Basically what I did to charge was nothing but triangle, triangle, triangle, like 10 times...?

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I get it now. You have to hit all 4 "R2 slashes" then the outline starts glowing... and then you just have to press R2+triangle...

And if that's it then the difficulty comes from positioning correctly - which shouldn't be that hard either actually.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I think I get it now. You have to hit all 4 "R2 slashes" then the outline starts glowing... and then you just have to press R2+triangle...

And if that's it then the difficulty comes from positioning correctly - which shouldn't be that hard either actually.

Its the LAST hit where you sheath the sword that needs to connect. The other hits are just a requirement to get there

However there are ways to get to that finishing strike faster! If you jump of a ledge with R2 the string is faster, or if you follow a fade slash with an R2 rush in as well!

Lastly a successful Foresight slash counter goes directly into a finishing strike! I believe foresight is the fastest way to build gauge of all but also the hardest

benj

Oct 27, 2017

I don't think you should use Helmbreaker until you have your sword at max charge, which means charging the bar and landing Spirit Slash three separate times.

Again, if tutorials don't help, it's really worth going into the practice room to get this stuff down—if you haven't been using Spirit Slash to increase your gauge level, you have definitely not been doing your share of damage when teamed up with others.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you should use Helmbreaker until you have your sword at max charge, which means charging the bar and landing Spirit Slash three separate times.

Again, if tutorials don't help, it's really worth going into the practice room to get this stuff down—if you haven't been using Spirit Slash to increase your gauge level, you have definitely not been doing your share of damage when teamed up with others.

Oh geez

We don't need to scare people with "optimum play" considerations

As long as your aren't dying constantly then you are doing enough! Plenty of players that are learning the ropes can get by with defensive or supporting roles

That said managing spirit charges is part of the basics of mastering the weapon going back all the way to its introduction.

Mastery can be done in stages with the first part being... learning how not to trip your teammates. After that you work on getting full spirit gauge (filling that red bar) and then completing spirit combos. The core of this being finding the openings to do all 5 strikes and landing the finisher.

Once you have a grasp on that and building up the spirit levels you can start working in advanced usage. Foresight slash being the core of building spirit with the occasional usage of fade slash follow-ups, full spirit combo, or jumping spirit combo at your discretion

From there its mostly about cycling between building spirit to red and using Helm Breaker back and forth like a flow

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are they going to like rebalance world when icenron come out like story and progression ? Like once that expansion comes out has that story stuff is useless.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
With g rank, it make the current endgame obsolete and make high basically obsolete . So you have to rebalance the game for g rank.

When you hit HR it makes LR obsolete, but if you wish you can still go do the old LR fights. They will just be easy and usually give useless rewards.

Why would G Rank be any different?

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you hit HR it makes LR obsolete, but if you wish you can still go do the old LR fights. They will just be easy and usually give useless rewards.

Why would G Rank be any different?
In grank monhun games high rank is useless blown past it so fast that it is like it is not every there. So they rebalance the when they add g rank.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I still don't understand. HR would still be present, but it would obviously no longer be endgame. Players move past it at whatever pace, then the new rank is the end.

Thats what he was asking I think

I assume that the bulk of the population will move on to master rank quests which will make all the previous end game content obsolete (outside of the people who want to run it)

Though I anticipate we will have Master Rank versions of Kulve, Behemoth and Leshen? Or at least a way to upgrade the old endgame armors or replace them

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, the beta still has that thing where if a new monster shows up the camera snaps to them and zooms away from whatever you're doing.

That's super fun when I'm fighting Tigrex at 1/2 health.

Though I anticipate we will have Master Rank versions of Kulve, Behemoth and Leshen? Or at least a way to upgrade the old endgame armors or replace them
We're at least gonna have the armor level cap increased on HR armors, so Drachen will still be good for a long while.

And I don't even want to know what a MR Drachen set would look like in terms of skills and slots.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, the beta still has that thing where if a new monster shows up the camera snaps to them and zooms away from whatever you're doing.

That's super fun when I'm fighting Tigrex at 1/2 health.

We're at least gonna have the armor level cap increased on HR armors, so Drachen will still be good for a long while.

And I don't even want to know what a MR Drachen set would look like in terms of skills and slots.

They would almost be better off retiring it lol

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Oh geez

We don't need to scare people with "optimum play" considerations

As long as your aren't dying constantly then you are doing enough! Plenty of players that are learning the ropes can get by with defensive or supporting roles

That said managing spirit charges is part of the basics of mastering the weapon going back all the way to its introduction.

Mastery can be done in stages with the first part being... learning how not to trip your teammates. After that you work on getting full spirit gauge (filling that red bar) and then completing spirit combos. The core of this being finding the openings to do all 5 strikes and landing the finisher.

Once you have a grasp on that and building up the spirit levels you can start working in advanced usage. Foresight slash being the core of building spirit with the occasional usage of fade slash follow-ups, full spirit combo, or jumping spirit combo at your discretion

From there its mostly about cycling between building spirit to red and using Helm Breaker back and forth like a flow
I mean, it's hardly like I'm criticizing someone for using a combo that isn't maximally efficient or something. The gauge on the Long Sword is the weapon's core mechanic—it is fundamental to using the weapon well. It's like using Hunting Horn without ever playing songs or using Charge Blade without ever expending phials.

I also bring it up because kageroo is also pretty high-rank at this point and has been very vocally critical of other players for not being up to snuff. I think it's fair to point out some hypocrisy if they are never leveling up their gauge and are not bothering to learn how to do so.

Not carting is absolutely, bar none, the most important thing. I don't agree that that's the baseline for "doing enough," though, particularly now that kageroo is into KT/tempered hunts.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Thats what he was asking I think

I assume that the bulk of the population will move on to Low rank quests which will make all the previous end game content obsolete (outside of the people who want to run it)

The old endgame stuff will likely stay. No reason to not let people newer to the series be unable to get some of the gear. It will be less useful, sure, but they will also likely make master rank versions of them as well so that the upgrade progression for weapons will continue. It's hard to say though because they've never done monster collabs in the past and I don't know if there are licensing limits that would keep them from making a master rank version of if they'd already worked it out, etc.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The old endgame stuff will likely stay. No reason to not let people newer to the series be unable to get some of the gear. It will be less useful, sure, but they will also likely make master rank versions of them as well so that the upgrade progression for weapons will continue. It's hard to say though because they've never done monster collabs in the past and I don't know if there are licensing limits that would keep them from making a master rank version of if they'd already worked it out, etc.

maybe its easier since this is technically an expansion of the existing game as opposed to a new full retail release?

Who knows

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I see so many comments online of people being like "All of your HR gear will be completely useless once Iceborne drops."

Sorry, but I don't see MR Jagras and Beotodus armor giving us 100% affinity + Master's Touch.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I see so many comments online of people being like "All of your HR gear will be completely useless once Iceborne drops."

Sorry, but I don't see MR Jagras and Beotodus armor giving us 100% affinity + Master's Touch.

Yeah the paradigm wont change much at least at first. Depends on the monster and how comfy players are with risking a cart to maintain the hurt

Certainly doable especially if you are running 4 deep and messing stuff up. Unless they tune monsters to be more resilient and fast I could see people rolling the current HR meta sets up until they discover the next best armors to jump to

banter

Jan 12, 2018

Depends on whether you want to risk being 1 shot by everything for those skills. The most alarming thing about the demo is how the defense of all the armor shown is 38 points higher PER PIECE than the highest you can get it in vanilla world (without defense gems). That means in the demo you have 190 more defense than is even possible in vanilla world. Think about how much HP you were losing in those fights now.

Just like when you were going through high rank, defense will be priority all over again until you hit a certain point.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well you're going to get one one shotted and the guy who made gen u is behind this expansion so expect new changes

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, ok, I get it now, phew!

I'm still not sure how to get to second and third"charge level" tho... I suppose just do the same thing again?

And if the monster hits you you'll loose the charge, right....? Currently play KT event, I need the Fire sword! 😀
This is really a lot to take in but I'm happy I get the first spirit helm breaker now at least - took long enough lol

I mean, it's hardly like I'm criticizing someone for using a combo that isn't maximally efficient or something. The gauge on the Long Sword is the weapon's core mechanic—it is fundamental to using the weapon well. It's like using Hunting Horn without ever playing songs or using Charge Blade without ever expending phials.

I also bring it up because kageroo is also pretty high-rank at this point and has been very vocally critical of other players for not being up to snuff. I think it's fair to point out some hypocrisy if they are never leveling up their gauge and are not bothering to learn how to do so.

Not carting is absolutely, bar none, the most important thing. I don't agree that that's the baseline for "doing enough," though, particularly now that kageroo is into KT/tempered hunts.

I mean we just see this fundamentally different I guess - which is fine - as long we still can have a mutual understanding of the existence of different play styles...?

To me "not carting all the time" is definitely enough mostly -- like when I did those tempered investigations people would just cart left and right against the Black Diablos which was simply frustrating because I really liked that investigation...

When I noticed this I just started save scumming tbh because I didn't want to go the attempts to waste... And that worked out well in the end, I had a lot of fun and got some cool gems / rewards!

That's the most important thing having fun, and honestly a lot of LS users don't do this spirit thing, I don't think it's an issue - it's more like I wanted to learn it because it's obvious it does more damage which is kinda the point,besides having fun. Also it's fun by itself doing that. :)

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I think if you want to not learn how your weapon works, that's your prerogative, but you should maybe then be a little more compassionate toward people that are carting in your hunts. They're trying to contribute and messing up—you're willfully choosing to contribute less. If I was in a hunt with someone who was not using Spirit Slash, who started being as flip to someone trying their best and carting as you've been on here, I would absolutely be on the latter's side. I get that you're blowing off steam about frustrating hunts, I think that's totally reasonable, but I do think it's a little silly to turn around after that and call it a matter of playstyle.

I also really don't think there are a lot of LS users that don't use the Spirit Gauge. I have hundreds of hours in this game—I've seen LS users trip their teammates constantly, I've seen them whiff half their Helmbreakers, I've seen them miss a lot of Foresight Slashes, but I've never seen someone totally abstain from using Spirit Slash since LR.

I don't really mind when someone does way less than their share of damage in general, I just like hunting monsties and don't expect everyone to want to minmax or anything. Since I started running damage meters I've been very surprised how frequently high-rank players pull less than 10% of the team's damage, but it only really bugs me when they then turn around and start getting on someone else's case for not planting barrels before waking a monster up or whatever. That said, I do think that there's real value to learning a weapon's fundamentals, because they really are fundamental to using the weapon well.

Spirit Gauge is used on Spirit Attacks and Foresight Slash. Being hit by a monster doesn't lose it. You build later levels of the gauge the same way as you do the first one.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Curious how they'll be adjusting areas like Rotten Vale for the Narcacuga hunts. Will they crank up the health/attack on other large monsters in the area for turf wars?

Nov 7, 2017
So tired of getting kicked out of a group trying to play kulve just cause im not using a bow gun. A bunch of assholes playing this game.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
benj ok, but why are you saying that, I never said I don't want to learn my weapon, the contrary... I just said I don't think it's that important as long someone tries their best. And about the carting lol, I get that people sometimes want to try stuff (that they're totally under equipped for) the "problem" was that it kept happening, which is just weird to me... With only a little bit of experience everyone would know a Diablos is no joke, much less so a *Tempered Black Diablos*

I'd never joined such a hunt when I was low level - and under equipped. It's basically suicide (as evidenced)

And ok, well, what happened is I had the white, glowing charge, was about to mount KT and she just slapped me back out of midair, and my charge was gone lol. So that's why I thought if you get hit you lose it.

Nov 7, 2017
Is your build still good for Kulve? A lot of people grind Kulve and only care about super fast times, so if your build isn't any good they'll kick you.
I have the best build available for kulve with jho and kjarr spark longsword. Don't know why Im bothering really since all of these weapons will be irrelevant in 2 months

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I have the best build available for kulve with jho and kjarr spark longsword. Don't know why Im bothering really since all of these weapons will be irrelevant in 2 months
That's actually the correct thing to do.

It's weird though, because I run Kjarr Spark CB a bunch which clearly less optimal than a Kjarr Thunder LBG but I never get kicked. I wonder if you're just unlucky finding assholes online.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
benj ok, but why are you saying that, I never said I don't want to learn my weapon, the contrary... I just said I don't think it's that important as long someone tries their best. And about the carting lol, I get that people sometimes want to try stuff (that they're totally under equipped for) the "problem" was that it kept happening, which is just weird to me... With only a little bit of experience everyone would know a Diablos is no joke, much less so a *Tempered Black Diablos*

I'd never joined such a hunt when I was low level - and under equipped. It's basically suicide (as evidenced)

And ok, well, what happened is I had the white, glowing charge, was about to mount KT and she just slapped me back out of midair, and my charge was gone lol. So that's why I thought if you get hit you lose it.
For what it's worth, you can't join a tempered hunt while low rank. Anyone who is in that hunt has access to the same gear you do.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Gf and I just started playing this. Everything takes centuries to kill. Is this normal? No idea what's going on half the time, game does a poor job explaining things to newbies. I'm playing the light bowgun class and she's doing the spear one. Coop is balls more difficult with the scaling right?

Nov 7, 2017
Gf and I just started playing this. Everything takes centuries to kill. Is this normal? No idea what's going on half the time, game does a poor job explaining things to newbies. I'm playing the light bowgun class and she's doing the spear one. Coop is balls more difficult with the scaling right?
Yes you're fighting monsters scaled for 4 players when you use more than one person. this will change when iceborne comes out they will have 2 player scaling

benj

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, with two players you have Palicos, so it's not as bad as all that. It's not like you're not supposed to be fighting monsters with 2 or 3 players—any amount is totally fine.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Oh.......... Well fuck. When is iceborne coming out?
Seriously, don't be scared off by that. If you're 2-manning a monster, it'll have about 2.2x the health it would have if you were running it alone. So if you'd kill a monster in a minute by yourself, it'll take a minute and six seconds if you and your girlfriend do it together. It really isn't a big deal at the level you're at. The biggest impact it'll have is that it'll probably make it hard for the two of you to break any speedrun records on extreme endgame content.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
You should probably look up some tutorials online to see how to best do damage. The bowguns especially can fail to do much if you don't know which ammo you're supposed to use or which mods to make them work well.