• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
if you're interested in support, you might want to try an sns wide-range or hunting horn build. they're immensely better than any other support build in the game—only LBG wide range comes close, i think. long sword support suffers from the same problems as most weapons—acting as support and doing damage are mutually exclusive in any given moment

also, high buff numbers are good, but the game will count buff applications even when they aren't doing anything or are redundant with already-placed buffs, so they're not always the best indicator of how much a player is supporting

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Playing to not cart is really boring to me. Anyone can play super safe and do next to no damage. I'd much rather try to push the limits in order to learn what is safe and what is not. Part of learning a monster is carting dozens of times trying to find the optimal punishes for each situation.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Found a hard one, Kushala HR 50, 2 players, (1) faint...

And it sucks he already stun locked me against a wall a couple of times or completely blocked the path to him with his wind attack.

Man, it's really tough, lol
On the bright side I have like 15 HR 50 Vaal investigation now, should be good to farm for "stuff" .

you sound like you have enough purple boxed investigations. If you need more under that resource center > manage investigations delete the crap ones you least likely to do so you'll have plenty of space for good ones to pop up. I usually delete any that have like 1 faint unless I know people well enough not to cart
gOkIYZT.png

Nov 7, 2017
Found a hard one, Kushala HR 50, 2 players, (1) faint...

And it sucks he already stun locked me against a wall a couple of times or completely blocked the path to him with his wind attack.

Man, it's really tough, lol
On the bright side I have like 15 HR 50 Vaal investigation now, should be good to farm for "stuff" .
What are u trying to farm

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're not wrong. A good build will never be a substitute for player skill, but a lot of players don't get that. They just make glass canon builds because that's what everyone on Reddit tells them to do and it's what they see players on YouTube using and they just cart constantly.

Lower to mid-level players need to remember that there's a bunch of support skills that can still be super helpful. Windproof is great against Lunastra, Earplugs is great for all of the elders if you aren't perfect at dodging through roars, Fortify is probably the #1 best skill in the game if you only play solo, etc.

Yeah, thanks! That's exactly what I mean... I really like to have a balanced set for this reason, I still need to investigate what's the best possible build for each situation, but I really like to experiment myself, maybe find new stuff, etc, just copying theses metas is boring to me, and I've checked, lots of players where I think "wow, they're good!" have all sorts of builds, including not recommended stuff and super often "styx" weapons...
if you're interested in support, you might want to try an sns wide-range or hunting horn build. they're immensely better than any other support build in the game—only LBG wide range comes close, i think. long sword support suffers from the same problems as most weapons—acting as support and doing damage are mutually exclusive in any given moment

also, high buff numbers are good, but the game will count buff applications even when they aren't doing anything or are redundant with already-placed buffs, so they're not always the best indicator of how much a player is supporting

Oh yeah , you're right LS isn't ideal for this, but it still can work.

you sound like you have enough purple boxed investigations. If you need more under that resource center > manage investigations delete the crap ones you least likely to do so you'll have plenty of space for good ones to pop up. I usually delete any that have like 1 faint unless I know people well enough not to cart
gOkIYZT.png

Yeah, lol I'm doing that, the problem was getting purple level 50 investigations in the first place, but I figured it out eventually... Basically, expedition Wildspire, Elders Recess. . It doesn't take long :o
What are u trying to farm

Well, HR 50 stuff and ultimately heroes streamstones!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Playing to not cart is really boring to me. Anyone can play super safe and do next to no damage. I'd much rather try to push the limits in order to learn what is safe and what is not. Part of learning a monster is carting dozens of times trying to find the optimal punishes for each situation.
agreed, to a point. it's super easy to not cart and not contribute, and carting trying something new is definitely a solid way to learn what doesn't work. if you're superman-dodging away or backing off completely every time a monster goes into an attack animation, you aren't going to be helping that much in a fight. getting carted stinks, but perfectly nailing a guard point or foresight slash every time you see that same attack in the future because you learned from that one cart is one of the best feelings in the game i think

benj

Oct 27, 2017
also, running damage meters can be a really good way to actually learn what you're contributing. i think it's really easy to have a vague, confused idea of what different weapons/combos do without them

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
agreed, to a point. it's super easy to not cart and not contribute, and carting trying something new is definitely a solid way to learn what doesn't work. if you're superman-dodging away or backing off completely every time a monster goes into an attack animation, you aren't going to be helping that much in a fight. getting carted stinks, but perfectly nailing a guard point or foresight slash every time you see that same attack in the future because you learned from that one cart is one of the best feelings in the game i think
Yeah, but again, where does this "not contribute" come from? That's not something I've seen, everybody generally tries their best, it's just luck of the draw if they understand you have to play this as a team, or not... Like when I see people don't use their health boosters and stuff then I already know that's gonna get tough (and they'll likely cart)
Just because I don't play kamikaze hunter doesn't mean I don't contribute.

On that note : Summons From Below is exactly how I feared, it's rather easy - well I only got Odogaron so far... But people cart left and right, this is HR 15, people are in no way ready to fight a purple Odogaron at HR 15, not to mention Vaal...

That's really bad game design this should be HR 30 at least...

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
also, running damage meters can be a really good way to actually learn what you're contributing. i think it's really easy to have a vague, confused idea of what different weapons/combos do without them
A) who tells me these meters are correct? Besides me playing a game in windowed mode isn't going to happen... eww...

B) Everybody has their own way of playing, I don't really care how much anyone contributes (in damage) I think this is a rather toxic way to see things, and lastly, I rather try to lead the hunt in a way I at least think is efficient (lure monsters, play the tank, etc)
Unless I see someone already does all that better than me, then I'll try to support them and generally try to do what they're doing...

PS: I see that sometimes that someone's hanging back, generally doesn't do much.... I don't see the problem they're just playing smart.
You learn the patterns either way, they're confusing at first but once you saw them a couple of times they become really predictable.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
On that note : Summons From Below is exactly how I feared, it's rather easy - well I only got Odogaron so far... But people cart left and right, this is HR 15, people are in no way ready to fight a purple Odogaron at HR 15, not to mention Vaal...

That's really bad game design this should be HR 30 at least...

It's not like you just hit HR15 and the game says here, take this quest.. You have to be able to complete the prerequisites to do the quest. I'd have to dig back to remember what those were but I didn't unlock them anywhere near HR15.

Does the game just let random HR15's join the quest without doing the pre-reqs? If so then I'd agree it's stupid. I don't know this because I avoid multiplayer as much as humanly possible.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but again, where does this "not contribute" come from? That's not something I've seen, everybody generally tries their best, it's just luck of the draw if they understand you have to play this as a team, or not... Like when I see people don't use their health boosters and stuff then I already know that's gonna get tough (and they'll likely cart)
Just because I don't play kamikaze hunter doesn't mean I don't contribute.
Sometimes, even if people are trying their best, they don't contribute as much to hunting a monster as other people. That isn't denigratory to say.

A) who tells me these meters are correct? Besides me playing a game in windowed mode isn't going to happen... eww...

B) Everybody has their own way of playing, I don't really care how much anyone contributes (in damage) I think this is a rather toxic way to see things, and lastly, I rather try to lead the hunt in a way I at least think is efficient (lure monsters, play the tank, etc)
Unless I see someone already does all that better than me, then I'll try to support them and generally try to do what they're doing...
A) Interestingly, every single update to the gamestate conveyed to each player's MHW client from the server contains the summed total of damage dealt by each player in the fight thus far. It's sort of an unusual way of doing things, but it means that damage meters are perfectly accurate, even if you e.g. join a fight late. It's neat, they're totally dependable.

And I don't know why you'd need to play in windowed mode. Damage meters can run in the background. I run one on my alternate monitor. No "eww" necessary.

B) I don't know what's toxic about it. I'm not encouraging people to get on one another's case for dealing low damage—that stinks, and is totally unnecessary. But seeing how much damage I'm dealing relative to my teammates just helps me to be a better teammate, and is a good way to track, for instance, which weapons do best against which monsters, or how I can play each weapon better.

Also, "tanking" doesn't really exist in this game.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a purple Odogaron is whatsoever out of the question for HR 15. It's a normal Odogaron with higher numbers. I'm sure a lot of players are ready for that before they even fight Xeno. I did double tempered Bazel immediately after completing the main quest and I think people probably struggle more with that than tempered Odo.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I also think that a lot of the process of improving at MHW involves learning how to deal with specific situations created by particular intersections of monster attack patterns, player character positioning, terrain, buff/debuff status, etc. As players learn how to deal with more and more of these situations, they (A) cart less and less frequently and (B) kill monsters faster and faster. These two things are not totally discrete, though.

The goal of a given hunt is to kill/capture a monster before time runs out or before the hunters cart x times. I think a lot of intermediate players prioritize the 'cart' restriction too heavily. Let's say that there are two hunters. Both are hunting Nergigante. Hunter A carts to Nergigante every five minutes, but can kill it in ten minutes. Hunter B carts to Nergigante every 10 minutes, but can kill it in 35 minutes.

Even though Hunter B in this case carts half as often as Hunter A, Hunter B is going to fail the hunt. What's more, in the time it takes Hunter B to fail the hunt, Hunter A is going to get to kill Nergigante three times over. So even though Hunter A is coming up much worse than Hunter B in this one important metric, they are, overall, going to be enormously more effective than Hunter B in terms of both individual hunts and overall time spent.

kageroo : You seem to cart out of multiplayer hunts a lot based on your posts in this thread. I honestly think it's unlikely that you're just arbitrarily getting matched with worse players—I think it's likely that the hunts you're going on are taking too long. Let's say you get matched with a pubby who is carting to Nergigante every minute and a half. That's a lot of carting! Luckily, if you know how to kill Nergigante in 4 minutes (and you, on average, cart to Nergigante every 10 minutes), you're still going to win that hunt, because you are going to kill Nergigante before the pubby carts you out of the hunt. Even though that pubby would almost certainly fail their own hunt against Nerg, you'd be able to make up for it.

Multiplayer hunts in MHW aren't just a matter of lucking out and getting placed with good pubbies—they're also about learning to kill a monster quickly and cleanly enough to account for the possibility that your teammates aren't going to carry themselves.

Again, I'm totally in favor of people playing the game and having fun with wacky builds. I'm especially super in favor of being very nice and compassionate toward teammates regardless of how good they are at the game. But saying that you don't care about dealing damage, then turning around and complaining about how often your teammates cart—those two things aren't totally unrelated. This game doesn't have aggro, it doesn't have tanking, supporting can't keep up a teammate who is dead-set on carting. This isn't a tank-and-spank MMO. Dealing a lot of damage safely is easily the number-one best way to carry teammates who need a little bit of help.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I also think that a lot of the process of improving at MHW involves learning how to deal with specific situations created by particular intersections of monster attack patterns, player character positioning, terrain, buff/debuff status, etc. As players learn how to deal with more and more of these situations, they (A) cart less and less frequently and (B) kill monsters faster and faster. These two things are not totally discrete, though.

The goal of a given hunt is to kill/capture a monster before time runs out or before the hunters cart x times. I think a lot of intermediate players prioritize the 'cart' restriction too heavily. Let's say that there are two hunters. Both are hunting Nergigante. Hunter A carts to Nergigante every five minutes, but can kill it in ten minutes. Hunter B carts to Nergigante every 10 minutes, but can kill it in 35 minutes.

Even though Hunter B in this case carts half as often as Hunter A, Hunter B is going to fail the hunt. What's more, in the time it takes Hunter B to fail the hunt, Hunter A is going to get to kill Nergigante three times over. So even though Hunter A is coming up much worse than Hunter B in this one important metric, they are, overall, going to be enormously more effective than Hunter B in terms of both individual hunts and overall time spent.

kageroo : You seem to cart out of multiplayer hunts a lot based on your posts in this thread. I honestly think it's unlikely that you're just arbitrarily getting matched with worse players—I think it's likely that the hunts you're going on are taking too long. Let's say you get matched with a pubby who is carting to Nergigante every minute and a half. That's a lot of carting! Luckily, if you know how to kill Nergigante in 4 minutes (and you, on average, cart to Nergigante every 10 minutes), you're still going to win that hunt, because you are going to kill Nergigante before the pubby carts you out of the hunt. Even though that pubby would almost certainly fail their own hunt against Nerg, you'd be able to make up for it.

Multiplayer hunts in MHW aren't just a matter of lucking out and getting placed with good pubbies—they're also about learning to kill a monster quickly and cleanly enough to account for the possibility that your teammates aren't going to carry themselves.

Again, I'm totally in favor of people playing the game and having fun with wacky builds. I'm especially super in favor of being very nice and compassionate toward teammates regardless of how good they are at the game. But saying that you don't care about dealing damage, then turning around and complaining about how often your teammates cart—those two things aren't totally unrelated. This game doesn't have aggro, it doesn't have tanking, supporting can't keep up a teammate who is dead-set on carting. This isn't a tank-and-spank MMO. Dealing a lot of damage safely is easily the number-one best way to carry teammates who need a little bit of help.

Its a balance right?

You cant go by these straight numbers and with 4 people its almost negligable to prioritize damage over survival since the deficiency can be made up for with the numbers outside of a handful of hunts that push 4 players to the limits

The divide between a maxed out weapon and gear and a min maxed meta set isnt wide enough to cover the repeated failures of a carting team

I think a balanced set is more than sufficient unless you are running a 2-3 man setup.

I suppose what I am getting at is that meta players do the community somewhat a disservice by throwing players into the meat grinder without also conveying the skill and preparation needed to offset those risks

You say 5 minute kill sets could at least guarantee better success over time than 35 minute kill sets (ridiculous comparison btw. No 4 man team pushes past 20 unless they are awful and even then 3 carts are more likely that 35 mins) is dependent on the assumption that you or your teammates dont cart every attempt.

If the 20 minute kill team wins one and you keep losing over and over? Is that a fluke? This isnt a slot machine man.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Its a balance right?

You cant go by these straight numbers and with 4 people its almost negligable to prioritize damage over survival since the deficiency can be made up for with the numbers outside of a handful of hunts that push 4 players to the limits

The divide between a maxed out weapon and gear and a min maxed meta set isnt wide enough to cover the repeated failures of a carting team

I think a balanced set is more than sufficient unless you are running a 2-3 man setup.

I suppose what I am getting at is that meta players do the community somewhat a disservice by throwing players into the meat grinder without also conveying the skill and preparation needed to offset those risks

You say 5 minute kill sets could at least guarantee better success over time than 35 minute kill sets (ridiculous comparison btw. No 4 man team pushes past 20 unless they are awful and even then 3 carts are more likely that 35 mins) is dependent on the assumption that you or your teammates dont cart every attempt.

If the 20 minute kill team wins one and you keep losing over and over? Is that a fluke? This isnt a slot machine man.
I am using clean numbers to illustrate a point concisely and clearly. I don't think the argument gets more clear, interesting, or nuanced if I compare someone with a 4'36" Nerg kill time to someone with a 4'52" Nerg kill time. No shit "no 4 man team pushes past 20."

I also think that you very much misread my argument. I'm not prioritizing damage to the exclusion of carting. My argument is explicitly that it is a balance—that rate-of-carting is not the be-all, end-all metric for a player's contributions. I'm especially not talking about "the divide between a maxed out weapon and gear and a min maxed meta set"—my emphasis is on the valuation of damage dealt in terms of playstyle, not build viability/heterogeneity.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I am using clean numbers to illustrate a point concisely and clearly. I don't think the argument gets more clear, interesting, or nuanced if I compare someone with a 4'36" Nerg kill time to someone with a 4'52" Nerg kill time. No shit "no 4 man team pushes past 20."

I also think that you very much misread my argument. I'm not prioritizing damage to the exclusion of carting. My argument is explicitly that it is a balance—that rate-of-carting is not the be-all, end-all metric for a player's contributions. I'm especially not talking about "the divide between a maxed out weapon and gear and a min maxed meta set"—my emphasis is on the valuation of damage dealt in terms of playstyle, not build viability/heterogeneity.

Ya know..

I probably did misread your argument ;p

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not like you just hit HR15 and the game says here, take this quest.. You have to be able to complete the prerequisites to do the quest. I'd have to dig back to remember what those were but I didn't unlock them anywhere near HR15.

Does the game just let random HR15's join the quest without doing the pre-reqs? If so then I'd agree it's stupid. I don't know this because I avoid multiplayer as much as humanly possible.
Yes, exactly that's what I mean, they join via SOS and don't know what's coming to them... It should be HR 30 - or actually, if I made this game you could only join these quests if you actually unlocked them - although it's a nice shortcut for people who know what they're doing, it can lead to some very frustrating "experiences" lol.

On third try or so some good players joined and we were able to finish it in 11 minutes or so btw :)

I think it's also time of the day, when I first tried was around mid day, so lots of YOLO school kids, I suppose - l mean it was almost funny, they had temporal mantles and still got one shotted by Odagaron, from the looks of it lol...

Benji Lol I don't get how you got that impression, I basically *never* cart, and it's not like I don't attack, actually since I learned the spirit thing I attack a lot more, and probably deal more damage too.

It's just I'm still at this point learning the patterns and stuff, I actually like watching what the monsters do before attacking them, follow them around, etc. For example I love to sneak around Nergigante see how long it takes for him to see me... Lol of course that ends immediately when someone joins, they naturally attack him immediately.

Lastly, I'd like to try out several overlays, but from what I gather they all run in windowed mode only plus have a performance impact, my 1060 is not ready, I'm afraid...

Seriously I love the overlay the game has in the Behemoth fight, I don't understand why that's not always there, at least as an option.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Benji Lol I don't get how you got that impression, I basically *never* cart, and it's not like I don't attack, actually since I learned the spirit thing I attack a lot more, and probably deal more damage too.
you tagged the wrong person, but I'm not sure what you're responding to. If you meant when I said "You seem to cart out of multiplayer hunts a lot based on your posts in this thread.", I didn't meant that you, specifically, are carting enough to lose the hunt, but that you are losing the hunt to the cart limit being hit—regardless of who is doing the carting. My entire point is that "not carting" is not necessarily enough, and might be part of your frustrations with so many pubs carting in your hunts.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you tagged the wrong person, but I'm not sure what you're responding to. If you meant when I said "You seem to cart out of multiplayer hunts a lot based on your posts in this thread.", I didn't meant that you, specifically, are carting enough to lose the hunt, but that you are losing the hunt to the cart limit being hit—regardless of who is doing the carting. My entire point is that "not carting" is not necessarily enough, and might be part of your frustrations with so many pubs carting in your hunts.
Ah, ok, yeah I misunderstood that point then.
And you're theoretically right, if someone's able to finish hunts quickly there's less chances of people carting, sure.

But I'm not at this point yet, I just started playing this (my first MH) a month ago, I'm still learning things.

And well my point is more that sometimes people just come ill prepared to a hunt, especially the tempered ones, and unless there's a really good "healer" in the session it's hopeless... and indeed takes often way too long (with no rewards at all because someone carted 3 times)

I'm not really complaining that's just how the game is, it's just a little bit frustrating at times haha.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, Lunastra event, everybody faints in the first minute or so...

So those events are the "real" level 50 hunts, I see...

Already got my Lunastra Y armor though (I mean if I get my hands on some tails and gems additionally)

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, Lunastra event, everybody faints in the first minute or so...

So those events are the "real" level 50 hunts, I see...

Already got my Lunastra Y armor though (I mean if I get my hands on some tails and gems additionally)

Yeah AT Elders all have one shot potential which is why its a good idea to run guts, protection, or insurance when playing with randos and otherwise focus on damage

Honestly some might be easier to win solo with the right setup though can someone correct me on whether AT's still scale to solo HP scaling?

I know AT's are boosted across the board

rulerk1

Nov 14, 2017
Omg I i was wearing a vitality mantle and had full hp and STILL got one shot wtf 😂

I usually don't complain but these events are really something else....

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah AT Elders all have one shot potential which is why its a good idea to run guts, protection, or insurance when playing with randos and otherwise focus on damage

Honestly some might be easier to win solo with the right setup though can someone correct me on whether AT's still scale to solo HP scaling?

With the exception of Nergigante/Xeno/Kulve I solo'd my AT elders even though it took longer I didn't have to worry about others carting.

EDIT
And give your cat a sleep or paralysis weapon which should once or twice come into effect throughout the battle

plus there is that decoration that strengthens you should you cart

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
plus there is that decoration that strengthens you should you cart
YES YES YES

If you are playing solo and expect to cart even one time, put fortify on your build. The stat boost you get from even one cart is completely bonkers and all it takes is one level-1 slot. And the deco is super easy to get because of how common it is (I think I have like 30+ now).

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There was an update to the beta and it added something to the Ancient Forest quest (around NW camp).

Welcome Nargacuga

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Give me the fucking sleep hammer already Kulve, I'm getting sick of repelling you.

Health Boost +3 is a must for most AT elders imo.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Is the Y armor still worth getting at this point? I'm still missing a couple of pieces but I don't know if I should bother at this point.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Is the Y armor still worth getting at this point? I'm still missing a couple of pieces but I don't know if I should bother at this point.

Which gamma armor? Xeno, Nerg, Teo, some Kulve, some Zorah, some Kirin are all worthwhile. I don't know if I've seen any Vaal, Kushala, or Luna gamma armor in sets or if I'm just blanking badly.

Edit: I guess the Kush gamma gloves are popping up in some new CB sets (with 2 to 3 pieces of Nerg gamma) for the Focus.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Which gamma armor? Xeno, Nerg, Teo, some Kulve, some Zorah, some Kirin are all worthwhile. I don't know if I've seen any Vaal, Kushala, or Luna gamma armor in sets or if I'm just blanking badly.
Well I wasn't around for the Arch Zorah, Nerg Xeno or Kulve events so I'm still missing all those plus some pieces of Vaal and Kushala.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never fought AT Lunastra on PS4 because I haven't played since September so I tried her today for the first time. I carted twice and got annoyed and abandoned the quest. I was doing fairly well but I wasn't confident I'd be able to kill her without carting a third time since she wasn't even in her final stage yet.

Interestingly, neither of my carts were from her supernova.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Nargacuga with 2 mins to spare.

That wasn't because I had trouble fighting it. It was because Ancient Forest is still the worst map in Monster Hunter history and it took me over 10 mins to find it.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
real jealous of you ps4 players getting to fight narga. hope we dont have to wait too much longer than yall for Iceborne

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, idk if they scale either and I'm still a bit confused as to what is tempered or arch tempered... since they all seem to be "HR50 / purple" and seem to vary wildly in difficulty..

One reason I think that Lunastra event is so difficult is the location, Elders Recess and then you have Luna + Teo......

That's just bad news, lol, in the other hunts you can usually separate them pretty easily, and kill Teo first (which is imo the way to go)
But that event is just way too chaotic, usually, lol.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, idk if they scale either and I'm still a bit confused as to what is tempered or arch tempered... since they all seem to be "HR50 / purple" and seem to vary wildly in difficulty..

One reason I think that Lunastra event is so difficult is the location, Elders Recess and then you have Luna + Teo......

That's just bad news, lol, in the other hunts you can usually separate them pretty easily, and kill Teo first (which is imo the way to go)

Think you can get tempered runs as low as HR14 but I'm I'm still tucked in bed with laptop and refuse to get out right now..Z_Z

I think it goes...monsters difficulty ; normal -- Tempered (attack patterns same as normal but more HP/DEF/STR) -- Arch Tempered (more HP/STR new attacks than Tempered).

Arch Tempered also have a slight pale almost silvery shiny coating that makes them look somewhat metallic to them.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Oh the distinction is quite easy

Arch Tempered monsters can only be fought as event quests and only include the elder dragons.

They will have an orange outline instead of purple

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Iceborne beta is pretty fun. Hoarfrost Reach is such a nice environment and the Clutch Claw is dope as fuck.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Only problem with the beta is that setting Voice Volume to 0 is basically mandatory.

Every time you start the beta it's:

"Here's what your weapon does!"
"Make sure to drink hot drinks!"
"You've got new moves! Check them out in the Hunter's Notes!"
"Make sure you dodge attacks!"
"Here's how you use the Clutch Claw!"
"Look! It dropped Slinger Ammo!"
"Your health is low! You should drink a potion!"
"Remember, the scoutflies leave when you fight a monster!"
"Use jump attacks to mount monsters!"

All of this in the span of maybe 15 seconds while Narga is trying to murder you. I get that this might be someone's introduction to the series, but there has to be a better way to teach players than to vomit tutorials at them while a monster beats them into the ground.