• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think you can get tempered runs as low as HR14 but I'm I'm still tucked in bed with laptop and refuse to get out right now..Z_Z

I think it goes...monsters difficulty ; normal -- Tempered (attack patterns same as normal but more HP/DEF/STR) -- Arch Tempered (more HP/STR new attacks than Tempered).

Arch Tempered also have a slight pale almost silvery shiny coating that makes them look somewhat metallic to them.
Oh the distinction is quite easy

Arch Tempered monsters can only be fought as event quests and only include the elder dragons.

They will have an orange outline instead of purple

Oh, yes, after having fought a couple of event quest it dawned to me that's probably the difference.

But tbh I don't think the difference is *that* big, I played a HR50 Kushala investigation and he did a lot of stuff I didn't see before, and whilst we killed him fast in the end, during the fight I thought this'll never end due to how hard it was to hit him...

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Only problem with the beta is that setting Voice Volume to 0 is basically mandatory.

Every time you start the beta it's:

"Here's what your weapon does!"
"Make sure to drink hot drinks!"
"You've got new moves! Check them out in the Hunter's Notes!"
"Make sure you dodge attacks!"
"Here's how you use the Clutch Claw!"
"Look! It dropped Slinger Ammo!"
"Your health is low! You should drink a potion!"
"Remember, the scoutflies leave when you fight a monster!"
"Use jump attacks to mount monsters!"

All of this in the span of maybe 15 seconds while Narga is trying to murder you. I get that this might be someone's introduction to the series, but there has to be a better way to teach players than to vomit tutorials at them while a monster beats them into the ground.
Sounds like a Dragon's Dogma pawn lol

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, flash stops a lot of stuff I've noticed, but timing is tricky (if you don't know the patterns yet)

I still think you can somehow trigger Lunastras supernova with it too.

Which may or may not go well (for your team mates) xD

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
15 hours in and I have decided to finally give up on this terrible game. No idea why it was rated so high. It gives you the absolute minimal guidance. Clearly this game has its fans, but I have a lot other games to play other than this incredulously frustratingly stupid game.

This game wants to hobble you at every chance you get. Monster faster than you so they can run away and regenerate health? Yes. Stupid ass stamina bar so you can ever catch up before they heal? Yes. Oh, 5 sec animation for you to heal life on your own? Yes. WAIT A MINUTE. Time to sharpen your weapon before you can attack it again. In the meantime, it's healing up, making the last 10mins of your attacks pointless.

Just atrocious.

Edit: Gonna give this game one more shot. Hopefully it clicks soon.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
15 hours in and I have decided to finally give up on this terrible game. No idea why it was rated so high. It gives you the absolute minimal guidance. Clearly this game has its fans, but I have a lot other games to play other than this incredulously frustratingly stupid game.

This game wants to hobble you at every chance you get. Monster faster than you so they can run away and regenerate health? Yes. Stupid ass stamina bar so you can ever catch up before they heal? Yes. Oh, 5 sec animation for you to heal life on your own? Yes. WAIT A MINUTE. Time to sharpen your weapon. Just atrocious.
I understand your frustration and I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the game.

That being said, you probably shouldn't expect a lot of sympathy if you go into a game's OT and start talking about how terrible the game is. Just saying.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I understand your frustration and I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the game.

That being said, you probably shouldn't expect a lot of sympathy if you go into a game's OT and start talking about how terrible the game is. Just saying.

Not looking for sympathy. I tried it, I gave it 15 hours and I just don't get the reviews. I read so many articles about how this game stops many of its players from getting to the point where it all "clicks", and that to me is terrible game design.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Not looking for sympathy. I tried it, I gave it 15 hours and I just don't get the reviews. I read so many articles about how this game stops many of its players from getting to the point where it all "clicks", and that to me is terrible game design.

It's almost like we don't all like the same games.

Also, for what it's worth there are counters for all the things you complained about.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Monsters don't really regenerate health. They do a bit when they're sleeping, but not enough for it to really matter whatsoever unless you choose that moment to go AFK for ten minutes.

Other than that, hope venting was satisfying! The game is absolutely incredible; it's a shame that it didn't click for you.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Monsters don't really regenerate health. They do a bit when they're sleeping, but not enough for it to really matter whatsoever unless you choose that moment to go AFK for ten minutes.

Other than that, hope venting was satisfying! The game is absolutely incredible; it's a shame that it didn't click for you.

Feel better after venting. Gonna go back for some more getting my ass kicked ugh. Fuck the electricity fox dragon cobra-kai thing.

So what is the EKG heart pulse thing below the monster icon? Not health?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly yes, it does not give any guidance, unless babbling uncomprehensive stuff at you constantly *while you're actually trying to fight monsters* counts as guidance! (hint: it doesn't)

I was able to mostly completely ignore it because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to enjoy playing this game (especially during the first hours)

But, I also honestly felt it wasn't needed it's just a "jrpg like" experience throughout the first hours, you play story and mash buttons a bit to "beat" monsters, there's little to no challenge to it (for the most part)

Which of course let to me learning a lot of wrong habits because the game just refuses to explain stuff to the player in a comprehensive way.

That said I had and still have a lot of fun immediately, I thoroughly enjoy this game's mechanics (the actual fighting)

So if you're not having fun, it may not be for you, it's really more like fighting game at its core (which usually also don't have much an introduction to newcomers)

weapons of different rarities have different streamstone requirements

So in other words, it's random? :p

I for sure thought the Taroth weapons would need like 3 stones with how stingy the game is with them.

Not that I'm complaining lol, I just couldn't believe it only needs one of these hero stones for augmentation ^.^

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel better after venting. Gonna go back for some more getting my ass kicked ugh. Fuck the electricity fox dragon cobra-kai thing.
If you're having trouble beating monsters play multi, fire a SOS flare (if it's possible for you to play multiplayer)

You also really kinda learn how to tackle monsters this way.

Also what weapon are you using? I think it's really important to find a weapon that clicks with you... Different monsters may require different weapons (an advice I don't follow myself because I'm a stubborn Ninja and would not betray my Katana ever*)

*tbh I think bowguns could be something I'd use too...

But seriously some monsters seem to be more suited for long range weapons, it may be worth to experiment.

Last edited:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

This game wants to hobble you at every chance you get. Monster faster than you so they can run away and regenerate health? Yes. Stupid ass stamina bar so you can ever catch up before they heal? Yes. Oh, 5 sec animation for you to heal life on your own? Yes. WAIT A MINUTE. Time to sharpen your weapon before you can attack it again. In the meantime, it's healing up, making the last 10mins of your attacks pointless.

Just atrocious.

Edit: Gonna give this game one more shot. Hopefully it clicks soon.

Monster don't regenerate health (well they do when they sleep when tehy are about to die but its super negligible that it doesn't matter), your attack are not pointless.

Lengthy healing animation is to discourage you to brute force your way. Learn monster attack pattern, only attack when there are opening, and don't be greedy with your attack.

What weapon are you using ?

Also Tobi Kadachi (the flying thunder squirrel) is definitely a wake up call monster.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to not get one shotted by AT Kirin? (except "don't get hit lol") <--- I'm aware of this tactic ;)

We were doing good then 3 people including me got one shotted within 10 seconds... And I was at 200 health... Maybe thunder resist gems, otherwise idk... *sigh* (I love this game though with how crazy it gets sometimes lol!)

Edit: ok disregard the question, thunder resist gems definitely help, not sure if it prevents getting one shotted tho because I *think* I dodged everything now, still 3 people carted unfortunately. >.<

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to not get one shotted by AT Kirin? (except "don't get hit lol") <--- I'm aware of this tactic ;)

We were doing good then 3 people including me got one shotted within 10 seconds... And I was at 200 health... Maybe thunder resist gems, otherwise idk... *sigh* (I love this game though with how crazy it gets sometimes lol!)

Edit: ok disregard the question, thunder resist gems definitely help, not sure if it prevents getting one shotted tho because I *think* I dodged everything now, still 3 people carted unfortunately. >.<

once you are in AT Territory its hard not to get one shot though Melee players generally are able to stack defense and resistance high enough to help

You pretty much need to stack food, items, gear and skills

Less so the skills since you should balance them without sacrificing too much offense

If you are confident about limiting hits you can just opt for mantles, felyne insurance, moxie

Stuff like vitality mantle, thunder mantle, and some others can help you tank a hit potentially during a hunt to offset a mistake or two

Armor skills like guts or divine protection can also help if you can squeeze them in

But yeah Dont get hit is the prime strategy so its usually best to use food and mantles to give yourself some forgiveness and stay on the offensive

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeap I'm doing this now divine blessing, health boost, mantles, food... I need to check what this moxie thing is and cat insurance 😻

Well it's honestly kinda easier than Luna, you just have to be patient and hope the time doesn't run out lol...

Lots of people just withdraw when they see it's hard (how did they not know before?)

But with the right team this is doable, you can basically keep switching between mantles so he *can't* one shot you (with a little luck)

But yeah taking a break now it's too hot in my room to play right now.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Kirin, more than any other hunt in the game, is just super punishing to specific weapons. I think it can be the roughest normal hunt to do with pubs—every time I have a teammate whose weapon isn't ranged or doesn't have a shield, they cart us out at worst and contribute almost nothing at best

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always fight tempered and arch-tempered Kirin solo, if there are other players around they're not only a liability but it also makes it much harder to hit the damn thing because it's bouncing around between players and firing lightning bolts all over the place. It's much easier to fight when you're the only target.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeap I'm doing this now divine blessing, health boost, mantles, food... I need to check what this moxie thing is and cat insurance 😻

Well it's honestly kinda easier than Luna, you just have to be patient and hope the time doesn't run out lol...

Lots of people just withdraw when they see it's hard (how did they not know before?)

But with the right team this is doable, you can basically keep switching between mantles so he *can't* one shot you (with a little luck)

But yeah taking a break now it's too hot in my room to play right now.

I found AT Kirin manageable when soloing. If you need to party then perhaps no more than 2 people.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

So what is the EKG heart pulse thing below the monster icon? Not health?
The EKG is a rough indicator of health, but when the monster is enraged or exhausted it will be displaying that information instead of the rough health level of the monster.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always fight tempered and arch-tempered Kirin solo, if there are other players around they're not only a liability but it also makes it much harder to hit the damn thing because it's bouncing around between players and firing lightning bolts all over the place. It's much easier to fight when you're the only target.
I found AT Kirin manageable when soloing. If you need to party then perhaps no more than 2 people.
I'm starting to think that too - but in my eyes this is also kinda admitting defeat, I jus think of this as a game that should be played as team, solo is kinda cheesing it.

And I was at that point several times now but in the end I've always found a team that made the hunt actually *easier* as in we had a healer, and at least 2 damage dealers...

But it's simply luck of the draw.

But yes, 2 players might be the most manageable in this hunt , I agree.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, how so? Is MH not known for its multi-player? (kinda bought it for that tbh)

And umm, it's often significantly easier to solo, so yeah.

It's only harder because you are often playing with idiots. The HP doesn't scale 4x so if there is no dead weight then multiplayer is easier.

Anyways, get back to me after you solo all the AT monsters.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The EKG is a rough indicator of health, but when the monster is enraged or exhausted it will be displaying that information instead of the rough health level of the monster.
It'll still show the rough HP even if they are enraged. You just need to know what to look for.

The EKG always goes wild when they're mad, but it's noticeably less wild when you can capture them. Takes some getting used to, but you can still read their HP whenever.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I think if anything, people would argue playing the monster with others is admitting defeat because it means you can't do it solo.
Yeah, I think this is more realistic. I dunno about "admitting defeat", but the way monsters aggro switch in multiplayer hunts make it much easier. Sometimes—as with Diablos or Kirin—it can mean having to chase the monster around a bit, but it still gives you a lot of free time to reposition, heal, buff, whatever.

Solo hunts feel much smoother and more consistently challenging. You also can't get carried in them. I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way, I think both are fun, but I think the combat is absolutely at its best (and hardest) when you're soloing.

Lol, how so? Is MH not known for its multi-player? (kinda bought it for that tbh)

And umm, it's often significantly easier to solo, so yeah.

MH is known for a lot of stuff. I'm surprised that you're being so opinionated about it being "often significantly easier to solo," since you said something the other day about only having soloed KT recently.

Nov 7, 2017
Lets be real when you have the right gear none of the monsters in this game are that hard solo or mp except at nerg which i think is way easier solo because of better predictability. and its usually faster more fun and more efficient to farm online.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
whether something is Hard is distinct from whether it's harder in one mode as opposed to another. spare me the dickswinging

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
and its usually faster more fun and more efficient to farm online.

But that's just an opinion. I fucking despise playing it multiplayer. Aside from idiots, as a GS main I wind up chasing a lot of things through the fight as aggro switches. I'd prefer to solo even if it took far longer. I did regular KT solo and preferred it.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I think certain weapons are just more fun in singleplayer vs multiplayer. Weapons that rely on countering moves (Lance/CB/LS/GS) are all better solo imo. Whereas most other weapons are fine in both, and then you have HH where I'm not sure why you'd run that solo.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I like Lance a lot in MP just because the dash lets me keep up with repositioning monsters and the guard stance can handle aggro-switch flails well but otherwise yeah, totally. I ran a 2-man lunastra hunt with CB yesterday and it was miserable

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kind of understand it but my gut is to say no, going multiplayer is cheesing it. Then I remember this is MH World...
I agree you can see it kinda both ways, but to me, often multi is harder, simply because of the random nature of it and often it's only 2 or 3 people and then you know the scaling is against you, which makes it harder yet again.

But yeah, basically I bought this for the multiplayer and it's all in all much better than I thought. Couldn't imagine playing this alone too much, not interesting enough, multi is what makes it exciting (I think that's a fact going by how many people are online 24/7)

And no idea what your last sentence is supposed to mean...

There's certainly a lot of negativity around here though, except hype about iceborne, which by all means will be just more of the same, with recycled monsters. *shrug*

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I like Lance a lot in MP just because the dash lets me keep up with repositioning monsters and the guard stance can handle aggro-switch flails well but otherwise yeah, totally. I ran a 2-man lunastra hunt with CB yesterday and it was miserable
I'd like Lance more if Flinch Free wasn't basically mandatory for multiplayer.

But it's still better for teams than GL.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think certain weapons are just more fun in singleplayer vs multiplayer. Weapons that rely on countering moves (Lance/CB/LS/GS) are all better solo imo. Whereas most other weapons are fine in both, and then you have HH where I'm not sure why you'd run that solo.
That's an actually interesting aspect of the game, if you have a healthy mix of melee and ranged weapons it's usually the most fun, and then when you have someone with a pipe (I think?) it's the icing on the cake as everyone is buffed as hell.

If you have mostly melee weapons it's gonna be a slog, probably (since they're just missing reach)

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like Lance more if Flinch Free wasn't basically mandatory for multiplayer.

But it's still better for teams than GL.
Yeah, having to slot Flinch Free is boring and a pain, but at least it rarely feels like Lance is really hurting for slots (unless I'm going full Guard/Guard Up for Kirin/Luna stuff). At least it's not like CB, where all my slots are accounted for just with Focus, Artillery, Weakness Exploit, yadda yadda

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I agree you can see it kinda both ways, but to me, often multi is harder, simply because of the random nature of it and often it's only 2 or 3 people and then you know the scaling is against you, which makes it harder yet again.

But yeah, basically I bought this for the multiplayer and it's all in all much better than I thought. Couldn't imagine playing this alone too much, not interesting enough, multi is what makes it exciting (I think that's a fact going by how many people are online 24/7)

There's certainly a lot of negativity around here though, except hype about iceborne, which by all means will be just more of the same, with recycled monsters. *shrug*

If multiplayer scaling is 2.2, any multi scenario with more than 2 people is going to be easier than solo. The fact that having another person pulling aggro gives you time to heal, etc also makes it easier. It's only that the group often has dead weight that makes it more difficult.

On multiple occasions you've posted about being stuck on encounters that are sorta gateways, and I recall you proclaiming that after multiple failures and you getting 1 shot.. a couple Japanese players came in to win the fight for you. But somehow people that are playing the game and beating all of these encounters solo are "admitting defeat and cheesing it"? C'mon..

Considering these things and the fact that you haven't even experienced many of the endgame encounters makes it a strange statement. It's even more bizarre to belittle the way that others prefer to play, then bring up negativity "around here".

I understand that there are people who prefer to play multiplayer because it's either more efficient, or more fun for them. Great! Everyone needs to play the game the way that they enjoy it.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

I was just making a joke because old MH games didnt have scaling health depending on if you were solo or not, so solo was considered way harder than multiplayer in every case. That's where my gut reaction is, but its different in mh world because monsters have significantly increased hp, stagger, status resists in multiplayer. So in fact, a lot of things are much harder in multiplayer.