• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I assume they must have tried a lot of different stuff that didn't work out for reasons that it's hard for players to understand without having tested it themselves, but it's truly wild to me that they aren't a little more flexible with how attack motion values impact elemental damage on heavy weapons. it is really hard to see the logic behind that decision

I also feel like the interaction between weakpoints and elemental damage is sort of mystifying. it's kind of cool to have them be so contingent on hitting weakpoints, but the payoff for successfully hitting a weakpoint should maybe be higher. like, what if heavy weapons got some big on-crit boost to elemental damage, so that using ele damage with a CB or GS would be like going double-or-nothing? the current system of non-weakpoints just totally canceling all elemental damage is real hard to understand

they also just extremely have to change how SAED works for ele phials. why on earth

It would be cool to have element weakpoint hits be the deciding factor right? So maybe you would consider using an element greatsword on a certain monster since its easier to hit the element weakpoint as opposed to the raw/slashing one

Something like that could make the lesser used weapons more viable. Even if its just for newbie players being given a more forgiving part of the monster to whack on

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I would not take kageroo's advice for a lot of this stuff. geist 6one's advice is generally solid. rocksteady is definitely going to be more valuable than vitality in this hunt.

Oh I'm going berserk now lol it actually worked for me on a previous difficult one (that Final Fantasy Kulu Yaku, I regret to admit it took me like 7 or 8 tries because eventually she always one shoted me with that jump she does but at some point I got tired or playing defensive and went all in and I got her).

Where do I get that Rocksteady mantle? I'm sure I don't have it.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Oh I'm going berserk now lol it actually worked for me on a previous difficult one (that Final Fantasy Kulu Yaku, I regret to admit it took me like 7 or 8 tries because eventually she always one shoted me with that jump she does but at some point I got tired or playing defensive and went all in and I got her).

Where do I get that Rocksteady mantle? I'm sure I don't have it.
You have to complete 3 threat level 3 (HR 50) quests to get the quest for it, so getting the mantle is going to be even harder than completing that mission..

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
What platform are you playing on? I can help you out later today if you want. If you are on ps4.

PS4 but don't worry, I'm playing at random times, today I'm sure I won't play because 1: there's a soccer match (Brazil vs Argentina) and I can't miss it lol. And 2: The new battle pass for Apex Legends is out today so the little time I have I'll be playing that with my squad.

Thx anyway! I'll share here my progress for sure, MH it's been my main game for two months already and I don't expect any different even if I mix it up with other games.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
I think I have divine blessing up to 2 and it's really a life saver! I'm already using Ice attack since they're weak to it. I'll try going offensive on my next try and see how it goes, I'll still use fire mantle and health but I'll see if I can put as much offensive boosts as possible. If it backfires I'll switch. Thx!
Divine blessing is cool but you could just burn a voucher to guarantee Felyne Defender Hi and get the same if not better results

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Divine blessing is cool but you could just burn a voucher to guarantee Felyne Defender Hi and get the same if not better results

That's really good to know, I always use vouchers on quest so I didn't know about this. In fact I'm just now paying attention to food status lol and as long as I don't get provoke everything goes but I just noticed that there are actually some cool stuff there.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
That's really good to know, I always use vouchers on quest so I didn't know about this. In fact I'm just now paying attention to food status lol and as long as I don't get provoke everything goes but I just noticed that there are actually some cool stuff there.
Eating at the canteen is super important, for instance if you play hammer like me or impact phial CB you'd should generally always eat for Slugger for easier KOs. Moxie is another good skill that will save you from carting once from a fatal hit. Def check a wiki on it when you get the chance.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
oh yeah food can matter a lot. it's worth running the researcher quests and stuff to collect ingredients if you're gonna run harder content, even though a lot of the tasks required to get those ingredients are, like, preposterously boring busywork. they can also be pleasantly chill/meditative though. some will point you to parts of the maps you'd otherwise never ever see

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Oh yes, I always eat before quests and did every side quest related but I just never payed attention to the Felyne perks, at first I thought they were skills for my Palico and I was ok with his normal skills so I never really looked into it. Then I noticed that some monsters were really relentless against me and discover Felyne Provoke, so I started to pay attention but that was a few days ago.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
just to clarify—sorry if i'm saying something you already know!—there are a lot of ingredients you can only get from 'rare' harvestables and fish you catch, even aside from the ones you get from side quests. there's a big good guide somewhere that i used that was super helpful, although i didn't do all of them (not gonna haul a bunch of big eggs around)

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Has it been announced when the PC version is getting Iceborne? I just bought the game on PC because it was on sale. I played the PS4 version all the way to endgame, or at least what was possible when I quit playing which was right before deviljho was released. I'm mostly just grinding it out at the moment to get to endgame so I can return mostly prepped for when Iceborne comes out but apparently it's not releasing in September like the other versions which is disappointing.

And while playing on the PC is way more pleasant than the PS4 Pro version with its poor performance and dreadfully long load times I'm noticing a lack of people to play with. Then again I imagine the PS4 version is also a lot more dead than it was back when I was playing it. Is anybody here also playing on PC?

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Has it been announced when the PC version is getting Iceborne? I just bought the game on PC because it was on sale. I played the PS4 version all the way to endgame, or at least what was possible when I quit playing which was right before deviljho was released. I'm mostly just grinding it out at the moment to get to endgame so I can return mostly prepped for when Iceborne comes out but apparently it's not releasing in September like the other versions which is disappointing.

And while playing on the PC is way more pleasant than the PS4 Pro version with its poor performance and dreadfully long load times I'm noticing a lack of people to play with. Then again I imagine the PS4 version is also a lot more dead than it was back when I was playing it. Is anybody here also playing on PC?
Not sure about PC but PS4 is still very active.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Not sure about PC but PS4 is still very active.
Technically nothing is stopping me from going to the PS4 version, I still own the game. I don't think I can go back at this point, especially after experiencing the PC version. It's not even the performance, man, it's those fucking load times.

Yes, well sort of, Winter.

I really hope it's not delayed, sounds like it won't arrive till December at the earliest if that's the case.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I don't think I can go back at this point, especially after experiencing the PC version. It's not even the performance, man, it's those fucking load times.
It is pretty ridiculous sometimes. I took a pretty long hiatus after all of the Arch Tempered monsters came out and played Generations Ultimate. Going back to World was definitely jarring for the load times alone. I kept thinking the game has froze because I'd forgotten they were so long, but you get used to it for better or worse.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Technically nothing is stopping me from going to the PS4 version, I still own the game. I don't think I can go back at this point, especially after experiencing the PC version. It's not even the performance, man, it's those fucking load times.
I have a SSD in my PS4 now and it's much better than it was initially. I'm sure still not at the PC version's level.

I really hope it's not delayed, sounds like it won't arrive till December at the earliest if that's the case.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
RIP they go with Low/High Rank design instead of the G-Rank design for Barioth Armor sets.

:(

Edit : Also that "barioth-part-on-iron-weapon" doesn't inspire confidence. I would be super angry if Barioth SnS (one of the best SnS design ever) ended up having shitty design.

The weapon design being one of the biggest complaint with base game MHW, I hope Capcom know what they are doing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AT Luna I can understand but hopefully you are carrying..

Astera Jerky and hot wheel them !
kel1Z6E.gif

Crystal Burst: gives her a sudden rude interrupt
RfxkTj5.gif
Oh wow, I hate the "radial menu" but I might just put the jerkey there only for this!

I usually don't get killed by the supernova but that maybe allows me to go a little more offensive

As for the crystal burst, I knew this but I never seem to get the timing down :/

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
RIP they go with Low/High Rank design instead of the G-Rank design for Barioth Armor sets.

:(

Edit : Also that "barioth-part-on-iron-weapon" doesn't inspire confidence. I would be super angry if Barioth SnS (one of the best SnS design ever) ended up having shitty design.

The weapon design being one of the biggest complaint with base game MHW, I hope Capcom know what they are doing.

Do we know if Barioth only has Master Rank versions? Is there any possibility that they add the new area to High Rank so that we have HR Barioth and MR Barioth? When Nargacuga was introduced in MHFU it had both HR and GR versions thanks to the Nekoth/Guild separation.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I thought back during the end of last year that Iceborne was coming same time on both PC and console, since it wasn't coming out for a while I figured no reason it won't launch at the same time, ended up selling my PS4 copy and brought the PC version. Even though I did put 500+ hours into the PS4 version the PC experience has been so far superior that it was hard to go back playing the BETA on a standard PS4.
The game is pretty much up there as GOTG for me so I'm not going to be able to wait, will most likely end up playing on console first, just hope the wait isn't long for the PC release.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if Barioth only has Master Rank versions? Is there any possibility that they add the new area to High Rank so that we have HR Barioth and MR Barioth? When Nargacuga was introduced in MHFU it had both HR and GR versions thanks to the Nekoth/Guild separation.
That's actually a good question. The weapons look like the early iron versions of weapons. What do the M-Rank models for Iron Hammer and LS look like?

Actually, getting LR and HR versions of new monsters would be really cool just for all the people that want to either jump in for the first time with Iceborne or didn't put much time into Vanilla.

Now that I think about it, the likelihood of this being a thing is maybe 5% at best, so that sucks.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
That's actually a good question. The weapons look like the early iron versions of weapons. What do the M-Rank models for Iron Hammer and LS look like?

Actually, getting LR and HR versions of new monsters would be really cool just for all the people that want to either jump in for the first time with Iceborne or didn't put much time into Vanilla.
I wouldn't expect any of the new monsters in LR myself but an earlier taste for, at least, some of the returning monsters without needing to go all the way to MR would be nice.
Unfortunately Kogath in that Twitter thread says that Iceborne monsters are MR exclusive. No idea if his source is credible or not.
There's still hope for extra armor designs similar to alpha-beta in HR.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I think all the returning monsters so far have their high rank armor?
Seems to be a theme, hopefully that leaves room to bring in the G armor in some way.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Man, I'd kill for the changes between A/B to be as big as HR/MR, instead of just "This one has an extra spike and it sucks to change colors on it."
I've long held the opinion that all A/B armors in MHW should follow a rule of one being realistic/subdued/sensible while the other being flamboyant/colorful/fashionable/stripperific so people can choose according to their preferences.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Now that I think about it, the likelihood of this being a thing is maybe 5% at best, so that sucks.

Someone asked the same thing on the tweet and Kogath replied that apparently Capcom confirmed new monsters only appear at Master Rank.

Also storywise it doesn't make sense if you can go to Hoarfrost before completing the base game main story.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I've long held the opinion that all A/B armors in MHW should follow a rule of one being realistic/subdued/sensible while the other being flamboyant/colorful/fashionable/stripperific so people can choose according to their preferences.
Many would just choose based on skills though. Beta armors are almost all strictly superior to Alpha armors once you have decorations to slot in. The basically remove some skills from alpha and add in slots of the same level or higher to the beta. I'm not sure if they were trying to make the "choice" between Alpha and Beta meaningful or not, but if they were they failed in that goal.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I've seen Alpha armors used is when a piece has a skill that you can't get from a deco, which is incredibly rare (I think it was just Heat Guard on the Lava A chest before Kulve Y was released).

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Many would just choose based on skills though. Beta armors are almost all strictly superior to Alpha armors once you have decorations to slot in. The basically remove some skills from alpha and add in slots of the same level or higher to the beta. I'm not sure if they were trying to make the "choice" between Alpha and Beta meaningful or not, but if they were they failed in that goal.
My opinion hinges on equal skills and deco slots for both armors. Choice would depend only on appearance. Alternatively unlock an armor for having it as layered once crafted. No more event ticket nonsense for layered.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
My opinion hinges on equal skills and deco slots for both armors. Choice would depend only on appearance. Alternatively unlock an armor for having it as layered once crafted. No more event ticket nonsense for layered.
For sure. Layered armor is unnecessarily restrictive. PC has mods that implement a layered version for every armor and it even shows up for others that you are playing with. So the tech is already implemented, they just need to flip some switches.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
New Game informer video is up. They didn't get rid of the whole "must watch cutscene before you can join" bs. They also said that master rank is what g-rank will be called from here on in the series because "it sounds cooler". This will be world's last expansion (as expected since new gen is coming), though they said they will still have content updates so maybe more collabs. That's about all of the pertinent info.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
New Game informer video is up. They didn't get rid of the whole "must watch cutscene before you can join" bs. They also said that master rank is what g-rank will be called from here on in the series because "it sounds cooler". This will be world's last expansion (as expected since new gen is coming), though they said they will still have content updates so maybe more collabs. That's about all of the pertinent info.
LOL

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't get rid of the whole "must watch cutscene before you can join" bs.
A bunch of journos are gonna be mad about that.
I never cared because I play through the story solo. I wonder what would happen if Capcom just forced people to do that, given that's clearly what they want people to do.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
A bunch of journos are gonna be mad about that.
I never cared because I play through the story solo. I wonder what would happen if Capcom just forced people to do that, given that's clearly what they want people to do.
I also play through the story solo but whenever I help my friends it's annoying. Not a huge deal, just annoying. I like how the interviewer guy was like, "Come on guys."

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The cutscene thing is annoying, but I guess after putting up with not being able to do story quests in multiplayer, and having to repeat urgent quests for everyone in the older games, it doesn't bother me too much.

They really need to add a cutscene skip option to all cutscenes though.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The cutscene thing is annoying, but I guess after putting up with not being able to do story quests in multiplayer, and having to repeat urgent quests for everyone in the older games, it doesn't bother me too much.
LOL, I remember when I was getting my friends who started MH with World into Generations Ultimate and when I told them about how we each have to complete the urgent as the quest starter, they were like.... wtf?!??!

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

They really need to add a cutscene skip option to all cutscenes though.

Reminds me of the time I joined a room where everyone agreed to 'take turn' with Dalamadur Urgent. Only for all of them to leave once it's my turn.

Then someone joins the room and said that we can duo it, and he is super confident about it too. Only for that person to get carted 1 minutes into the hunt and then quit the quest immediately. Somehow managed to finish the hunt alone with like 10 seconds or so left on the timer.

It was simultanously my worst and best memories of MH4U.

---------------

Khezu/Gigginox is happening, isn't it ?

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So hr 50 faint 5 times is quite a bit harder than faint 3 times, huh?
Like I go to almost 0 health with one hit haha
On faint 3 times he barely does a scratch! (Teostra)
Also takes 6 minutes instead of 5...

I'm just asking because it's either that or my game broke lol :/

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Those investigations that have 5 faints are a blessing when you just want to play with randoms but I'm not sure it effects difficulty. Sometimes it's the RNG gods whether they want to laugh or smile at you.