• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Ancient Leshen, got lucky because I got matched with one amazing player.

The fight is trash, I ran a support build because it's my first time doing it. I did not expect literally had to heal the entire fking time.

I find when you become support in these random parties its almost as if it's obligatory that you become the "heal slave" you will notice this when a particular player will spend most of their time fighting a HR50 monster while having what appears to be less than 20% of their health and they don't bother healing themselves as it's expecting of YOU to heal them.

while at the same time you have to set up and perform all defence/attack boost/hp buffs to keep the rest of them party including yourself alive.. :/

of course they end up carting I'm not going to waste all my potions just for one particular player..

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I find when you become support in these random parties its almost as if it's obligatory that you become the "heal slave" you will notice this when a particular player will spend most of their time fighting a HR50 monster while having what appears to be less than 20% of their health and they don't bother healing themselves as it's expecting of YOU to heal them.

while at the same time you have to set up and perform all defence/attack boost/hp buffs to keep the rest of them party including yourself alive.. :/

of course they end up carting I'm not going to waste all my potions just for one particular player..

Lmao, heal slave is pretty accurate. Gog I hope non of Master Rank monster have these kind of fight. Pure healer playstyle ala MMORPG is not something I want to see in MH.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand if someone is a healer and doesn't heal it also sucks...

It's a balance act for sure. Yesterday on one AT Xeno hunt I used 36 items and we got 15 heals, I'll say neither I nor much of the team would have survived without those heals... The player was really good too, he only used heals when it was *really* necessary, and we beat it in 16 minutes which is pretty good for a random group of people I'd say!

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Public hunt (especially AT) is nigh impossible without a healer already. Better you have two healers tbh! :)
People need to realize that having so much focus on healing is likely more detrimental than you think. People are so focused on being able to tank every attack the monster can throw out, and that's just not possible for some attacks. You will get 1 shotted by some things and you just have to avoid those. Stack that damage to make the hunt faster and reduce the number of times you have to avoid the 1 shots. Bring max potions, ancient potions, and combines for both. I don't understand why people need more healing than that, and it's also faster than waiting for the slow heals from wide range mega pots. 2 people healing fulltime is just ridiculously counter productive.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Public hunt (especially AT) is nigh impossible without a healer already. Better you have two healers tbh! :)

Right. this is my usual items that I carry whether I play DPS or support
PNnZBMZ.png

If I go in support and find that I've used up all; 10 potiions, 10 mega potions, 10 honey's, 10 green herbs, max potions, within 10 mins or less just to keep one particular player alive as they haven't bothered healing, I've had to farcast back to camp to replenish and they still haven't bothered using any of their healing items then I'm going to decide whether to stick with it for the next 30-50 mins or just abandon quest. When you abandon quest you get all your spent potions back but any items/investigations you pick up you lose but that's a small price.

EDIT

Healing for the whole group I got no issues but when it feels like you just doing it for that one particular player that's when it feels like "hmm this player is taking the piss, I'm outta here"

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right. this is my usual items that I carry whether I play DPS or support
PNnZBMZ.png

If I go in support and find that I've used up all; 10 potiions, 10 mega potions, 10 honey's, 10 green herbs, max potions, within 10 mins or less just to keep one particular player alive as they haven't bothered healing, I've had to farcast back to camp to replenish and they still haven't bothered using any of their healing items then I'm going to decide whether to stick with it for the next 30-50 mins or just abandon quest. When you abandon quest you get all your spent potions back but any items/investigations you pick up you lose but that's a small price.
Oh, yeah I agree, if it's just for one player (who doesn't heal) then I would have my doubts too that's worth it...
I'm just saying, I've seen one yesterday who had wide range 5 and he didn't heal once, and I've been using up my healing items like crazy and then everyone carted lol.
Next time I see this that particular player is out, it was seriously annoying.

But I get it it's kinda like 2 sides of the same coin. :p

PS: If I can I use wide range too, I'm usually using so many items I can as well use them to help others too (I did in AT VH hunt for example) but for AT Xeno I can't, I have the perfect setup so he can't one shot me and I still do decent damage - except probably with his laser but that usually doesn't hit me...

Oh and yeah, I usually have about 25 mega potions max... lol I use way too many items, (but I really just started playing hah)
And about 5 mega armor / demon, those are a pain to get - at least one of them usually lasts for a whole hunt.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
People need to realize that having so much focus on healing is likely more detrimental than you think. People are so focused on being able to tank every attack the monster can throw out, and that's just not possible for some attacks. You will get 1 shotted by some things and you just have to avoid those. Stack that damage to make the hunt faster and reduce the number of times you have to avoid the 1 shots. Bring max potions, ancient potions, and combines for both. I don't understand why people need more healing than that, and it's also faster than waiting for the slow heals from wide range mega pots. 2 people healing fulltime is just ridiculously counter productive.
I agree with exceptions for guys like AT Vaal and maybe AT Luna and Xeno. And of course the obvious Behemoth/Leshen picks.

When a significant portion of the damage is DoT (or there's an aggro mechanic), then having a dedicated healer will probably increase the team's DPS.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I agree with exceptions for guys like AT Vaal and maybe AT Luna and Xeno. And of course the obvious Behemoth/Leshen picks.

When a significant portion of the damage is DoT (or there's an aggro mechanic), then having a dedicated healer will probably increase the team's DPS.
Admittedly, I haven't fought Leshen at all because the solo version of the fight was so fucking boring and stupid. But yeah I would agree that having one is fine for those ATs because passive damage is bullshit. 2 is just ridiculous in any situation.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, hugely agree that healers are rarely better than just having someone else on damage.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's often backlash against the "damage meta" but the reality is that once you've learned a monster's attacks and patterns, the safest way to complete a hunt is always going to be ending it as quickly as possible by dealing as much damage as possible. You cannot win a war of attrition against a computer-controlled opponent. The longer time drags on, the more likely you are to slip up, get bored, and make mistakes. The computer doesn't make mistakes. Additionally, if you do fail the quest, it's better to get it over with quickly than to drag out the fight for 40 minutes and triple cart anyway.

Defensive skills are helpful training wheels when you're new or trying to get used to a monster's moves. But efficiency-wise, if you're taking 20 minutes to complete a quest that someone else could complete in ten minutes, that person could completely fail the quest and start over and still finish within the same time it takes you to finish the quest once.

Obviously, there are a small handful of monsters like AT elders, Behemoth, and Ancient Leshen where more caution is required because of their no-skill bullshit fast and wide-ranging moves that are difficult to dodge efficiently.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me on the other hand if you're going into a public hunt you shouldn't really think to much about "DPS" and "Dot" but instead focus on the goal, which is usually to kill the monster.

And this definitely *can* be done without worrying about such things, I do it all the time.

Also, imo, it's very obvious to me some people enjoy this playstyle, for example my very first AT Lunastra, no one except that one player had any business being there, we would have all carted in record time, yet he or she kept healing everyone, plus I'm sure did most of the damage too (we were all around hr 50-100, and completely unprepared, except that one player)

To me this is more fun than carting, farcasting or abandoning all the time!

And really, if you're a healer on a public hunt, expect to heal, keep that DPS stuff in private or solo hunts - imo!

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
The point is that focusing on damage is focusing on killing the monster.

You balance both offense and defense based on your personal skill and what setup is comfortable

Your DPS can also be equally attributed to how many opportunities you can create and how safely you can do so

Rushing in with a Meta set doesn't always pan out man

There's often backlash against the "damage meta" but the reality is that once you've learned a monster's attacks and patterns, the safest way to complete a hunt is always going to be ending it as quickly as possible by dealing as much damage as possible. You cannot win a war of attrition against a computer-controlled opponent. The longer time drags on, the more likely you are to slip up, get bored, and make mistakes. The computer doesn't make mistakes. Additionally, if you do fail the quest, it's better to get it over with quickly than to drag out the fight for 40 minutes and triple cart anyway.

Defensive skills are helpful training wheels when you're new or trying to get used to a monster's moves. But efficiency-wise, if you're taking 20 minutes to complete a quest that someone else could complete in ten minutes, that person could completely fail the quest and start over and still finish within the same time it takes you to finish the quest once.

Obviously, there are a small handful of monsters like AT elders, Behemoth, and Ancient Leshen where more caution is required because of their no-skill bullshit fast and wide-ranging moves that are difficult to dodge efficiently.

I do agree with the sentiment overall however and hell since you have mantles, tools, cats, canteen skills, and items you can usually bolster defensively that way instead

I will take issue with some of the hyperbole though

- 40 minutes? Really? Anything over 15-20 should have you back at the drawing board for your build no matter what. Most multiplayer hunts end in 10 so this point about the meta doesnt hold up quite as well if you are going to stack consistent failure versus success

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The computer doesn't make mistakes.
Yeah, it does and if only pre-programmed mistakes...

Also honestly, I learn nothing by carting (more than once), I don't really care if it takes 20 or 30 minutes as long I can beat the monster.

And in my experience most of the time - especially if you have a good player that helps / heals - not everyone carts all the time, it's more if you have no healer or a bad one (who doesn't really want to help) that's when inexperienced players cart, because they don't even think about using healing items, or don't have any defensive skills ...

It's a learning process and if you have no one to help you, it just makes it unnecessarily harder.

And I guess I agree with your last point tho, I'm mostly talking about ATs anyway, normal or purple monsters are whatever (way too easy imo)

Most multiplayer hunts end in 10
Yeah, maybe, but not the AT hunts. And I'm at this point I don't even enjoy these "super fast" hunts much, I rather the monster fights back tbh, it feels kinda broken if it doesn't (I'd say it *is* broken, there should be no way you can stagger a monster indefinitely, yet you can... What's even the point of that, it's not fun to me)

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
I'm at HR 56 or 57 and iv'e gotten three attack jewels so far. Also got my Spread one, still need the dumb Mighty one that is completly fucking broken for Bow

Are there any Deco's that increase hitzone sizes on monsters btw? Playing on console aiming is annoying as fuck on some monsters

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at HR 56 or 57 and iv'e gotten three attack jewels so far. Also got my Spread one, still need the dumb Mighty one that is completly fucking broken for Bow

Are there any Deco's that increase hitzone sizes on monsters btw? Playing on console aiming is annoying as fuck on some monsters

That's incredible. I'm way over 100 and have 1 attack jewel.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
With the upcoming "all event/festival are back", I reckon that would be a good time to finally beat all the Arch-Tempered monsters I missed.

Any tips for AT:

Vaal Hazak.
Kirin.
XenoJiiva
Kulve
Lunastra
Nergigante.
Zorah Magdaros.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
With the upcoming "all event/festival are back", I reckon that would be a good time to finally beat all the Arch-Tempered monsters I missed.

Any tips for AT:

Vaal Hazak.
Kirin.
XenoJiiva
Kulve
Lunastra
Nergigante.
Zorah Magdaros.
  1. AT Vaal sucks to fight with ranged weapons, so don't do that. And make sure you can quickly heal through his DoT. Other than that he's pretty basic.
  2. AT Kirin is like normal Kirin with more damage and HP. Not a big deal.
  3. AT Xeno basically requires that you use Heat Guard because of all the lava pools it makes. And a bunch of its attacks have massive AoE explosions that will murder you. Easy mode is either Pierce HBG or Elemental LBG.
  4. AT Luna sucks just like normal Luna. No real tips here.
  5. AT Nerg is fast as hell and deals a ton of damage. Also it's really tough to break spines now so don't expect easy trips. Not much to say other than play the best that you can.
  6. AT Zorah is more of a puzzle than a fight. Heavy Artillery as a must. You need to repel Nerg when he shows up, but that's not hard. Don't forget the big rocks you can get free damage with. When it's time to shot Zorah make sure you properly stop it from doing the super charged attack because that will kill the barrier now. You can do that with binders and the dragonator. The barrier falls after ~3 super attacks, but sometimes an NPC will shoot a binder at the right time if you get lucky.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
  1. AT Vaal sucks to fight with ranged weapons, so don't do that. And make sure you can quickly heal through his DoT. Other than that he's pretty basic.
  2. AT Kirin is like normal Kirin with more damage and HP. Not a big deal.
  3. AT Xeno basically requires that you use Heat Guard because of all the lava pools it makes. And a bunch of its attacks have massive AoE explosions that will murder you. Easy mode is either Pierce HBG or Elemental LBG.
  4. AT Luna sucks just like normal Luna. No real tips here.
  5. AT Nerg is fast as hell and deals a ton of damage. Also it's really tough to break spines now so don't expect easy trips. Not much to say other than play the best that you can.
  6. AT Zorah is more of a puzzle than a fight. Heavy Artillery as a must. You need to repel Nerg when he shows up, but that's not hard. Don't forget the big rocks you can get free damage with. When it's time to shot Zorah make sure you properly stop it from doing the super charged attack because that will kill the barrier now. You can do that with binders and the dragonator. The barrier falls after ~3 super attacks, but sometimes an NPC will shoot a binder at the right time if you get lucky.

Thank you ! I guess I'll spend some time fighting normal/tempered version of them before the event drop to refresh my memory.

Sir Laguna

Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying this for years but maybe instead of HR checks that mean nothing, quests should have a defense check that prevents you from joining if you're below a certain defense. If you have below 400 defense and you're in an AT elder quest or something you're going to eat a faceful of cart every single time the monster hits you and ruin the quest for everyone else.
But... think of the 'naked runners'

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
That's incredible. I'm way over 100 and have 1 attack jewel.

Guess iv'e been lucky. Mighty Bow could end up taking forever to get though...

Heading home now after not playing for 10 days, gonna grind like mad. Then when 5 weeks of festivals start gonna need to farm the shit out of KT aswell and grab all the gamma shit and other layered.

Also gotten no useful augments yet, i have a few but none for weapons i would ever touch...

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But... think of the 'naked runners'
There definitely should be a restriction for people who cart too much tho, like every few carts you get to only join quests 10 HR lower than what you previously "attempted", either for an hour or until you successfully *not* carted for a couple of quests in your current HR bracket.

Because some people's only goal seems to be to see how fast they can triple cart in this... >.<

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS

HR 300+ and the only 2 attack jewels I have are the free one and the one from saving the Pukei in the Witcher quest, you are quite fortunate.

In short, no.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Does Guard Up work for melee / LS?

If not I might have to build a Heavy Bow Wow Gun 😰
Guard Up only works on weapons that can guard. Meaning the ones that have shields.

I can work with HBG, but almost no one runs Shield mods unless they're tanking behemoth because you always lose a bunch of damage for it and the shield really isn't that great.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guard Up only works on weapons that can guard. Meaning the ones that have shields.

I can work with HBG, but almost no one runs Shield mods unless they're tanking behemoth because you always lose a bunch of damage for it and the shield really isn't that great.
I see, that's how i even got the idea, they recommend this for the "best" way to kill AT Xeno, I think it'll work but I have basically zero experience with this weapon it's a little tough, I dodge when I shouldn't, I reload when I shouldn't and I most definitely get the tail in my face every chance I get.... But I try to improve - the biggest problem is probably finding the right distance.

However he can hit me with the laser, even the ground attacks and I take nearly no damage so I can see it working.

I'm running exactly this, except I only have 1 critical jewel, any ideas with what I could replace the two missing critical jewels , maybe attack or dragon attack?

DSC_2529.jpg

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Do the different tiers of tempered investigations have different deco reward pools or is it all the same? I only ask this because I've had the best luck with HR 30 investigations in terms of the decos I want so far, most of which being rarer ones. I have tons of agitator/latent power decos but have failed to get a maximum might which I've been wanting.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm running exactly this, except I only have 1 critical jewel, any ideas with what I could replace the two missing critical jewels , maybe attack or dragon attack?
That's a good set to work though, though I'd switch the Luna legs for the Kulve Y ones. That way you can have a charm that isn't bumcheeks.

In terms of replacing the Crit decos, if you've got them you can run Max Might for a bunch of affinity. I wouldn't do Dragon Atk because if you aren't using dragon ammo it won't do anything. Attack Boost is always good, same with Critical Eye. I also really like Evade Extender with HBG because you roll super far with it.

Do the different tiers of tempered investigations have different deco reward pools or is it all the same? I only ask this because I've had the best luck with HR 30 investigations in terms of the decos I want so far, most of which being rarer ones. I have tons of agitator/latent power decos but have failed to get a maximum might which I've been wanting.
Yes.

HR 30 tempered have the best chance of dropping rare decos. HR 50 ones have a good shot at dropping them (not the best) but give you a better chance at getting Streamstones. The ones below those aren't worth doing.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
I see, that's how i even got the idea, they recommend this for the "best" way to kill AT Xeno, I think it'll work but I have basically zero experience with this weapon it's a little tough, I dodge when I shouldn't, I reload when I shouldn't and I most definitely get the tail in my face every chance I get.... But I try to improve - the biggest problem is probably finding the right distance.

However he can hit me with the laser, even the ground attacks and I take nearly no damage so I can see it working.

DSC_2529.jpg
Maximum Might for sure

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, got it, that makes sense, I was also wondering why they'd use this charm, I maybe can use a crit charm then to get crit boost 3.
And I thought of evade extender too actually but I wasn't sure what exactly it does :p

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have to aim to block the ground attacks or what?

I don't get it, I block everything and then suddenly a ground attack hits me for seemingly no reason?

And he won't let you heal either, immediately next ground attack if you try lol

Edit :
That way you can have a charm that isn't bumcheeks.

I figured it out (wasn't hard) they chose empress because it A has 2 level 2 slots and B 2+ free health boost, which means you can get 3+ and easily take 1 laser hit and survive... The KT may do more damage but that is irrelevant if you're already dead before you can do the damage

(BTW I was also wondering why they had 1 vitality jewel, now I know...)

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

Off topic for this build but doing AT Xeno solo is pretty easy with Insect Glaive b/c you can sorta dance on the wings to avoid the ground attacks.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's obnoxious as hell that some of the AT elders basically require you to create a totally different armor set to be killed solo. I'm not made of armor spheres and money.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Off topic for this build but doing AT Xeno solo is pretty easy with Insect Glaive b/c you can sorta dance on the wings to avoid the ground attacks.
Yeah, that makes also sense, Glaive is a really fun weapon too, but I have no practice at all with it and maybe two days with the HBG, so it's just not enough time to learn both.

Don't get me wrong I don't have great issues beating him with LS, but it's tedious and I need 2 more tickets (already have 5) and I figured why not try with the HBG, but it's difficult, especially because I don't fully understand the weapon, otherwise this *would* be easy, I see I'm doing a lot of damage by his reactions, but then I get killed because the shield thing suddenly doesn't work or similar stupid stuff lol.

In that regard, there really isn't much difference between the KT legs and Empress, you just shouldn't get hit with this weapon and tons of shields. >.<

I'm used to LS, I don't really care much if he hits me when I'm using that, I usually always can heal and dodging is way easier anyways too.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's obnoxious as hell that some of the AT elders basically require you to create a totally different armor set to be killed solo. I'm not made of armor spheres and money.
That's how Monster Hunter should be. Not just "run max DPS and maybe Health Boost 3 if you feel like it". The point of the game is to craft armor and weapons, so it should force (or at least encourage) people to make multiple sets.

Hell, that's how it used to be. You used to need to make special sets for the toughest monsters. Try fighting Dreadqueen Rathian without a dedicated HH that can give poison immunity and see how far you get.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's how Monster Hunter should be. Not just "run max DPS and maybe Health Boost 3 if you feel like it". The point of the game is to craft armor and weapons, so it should force (or at least encourage) people to make multiple sets.

Hell, that's how it used to be. You used to need to make special sets for the toughest monsters. Try fighting Dreadqueen Rathian without a dedicated HH that can give poison immunity and see how far you get.

It wouldn't be as big a problem if it weren't for the fact that 90% of the best armor sets in the game (other than Behemoth) are locked behind...other AT elders, who are only available once every month and a half.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Nah, skill and tons of practice with the monster has always been a way to avoid having to use skills like that. In world, not really the case for some of the unavoidable BS you see from the event monsters. Earplugs and tremor res used to be an okay to even good option on a lot of stuff, but the skill balance is all jacked up in world. It's like impossible for me to justify losing 10-12% of my damage just to go earplugs 5.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely miss this aspect of Monster Hunter. It wasn't perfect, but I didn't think it was too bad around the launch of MHW. But in the wake of Drachen armor, aside from a few at elder specifics, that's all you need for every encounter, with any weapon.

Really looking forward to master rank forcing an armor reset. I hope drachen gets left far, far behind.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, yeah. It's like this: "You want this armor to beat this monster more effectively?"
"Well then you first have to beat this monster to get it. And not just once, five times!"

I agree,this*is* MH, a bit annoying but also kinda thrilling (which probably is the point)

I only want the Xeno Y armor because you can supposedly build the best "cluster HBG" set (and other stuff) with it.

And because I collect all Y armor anyways :)

Definitely miss this aspect of Monster Hunter. It wasn't perfect, but I didn't think it was too bad around the launch of MHW. But in the wake of Drachen armor, aside from a few at elder specifics, that's all you need for every encounter, with any weapon.

Really looking forward to master rank forcing an armor reset. I hope drachen gets left far, far behind.
Yeah, me too. By Drachen Y set. ;)

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that makes also sense, Glaive is a really fun weapon too, but I have no practice at all with it and maybe two days with the HBG, so it's just not enough time to learn both.

I had zero Insect Glaive experience.. just crafted one, killed a couple regular monsters with it (an hour or two) then went to work on AT Xeno. It was challenging in that context but fun.