• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely miss this aspect of Monster Hunter. It wasn't perfect, but I didn't think it was too bad around the launch of MHW. But in the wake of Drachen armor, aside from a few at elder specifics, that's all you need for every encounter, with any weapon.

Really looking forward to master rank forcing an armor reset. I hope drachen gets left far, far behind.
One of the reasons I like CB (aside from it being the best weapon in video games) is that if you aren't running Kjarr CBs you aren't running Master's Touch.

I actually get to use 4 pieces of Nergigante Y armor on a meta set! What other weapons can say that?

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
That's how Monster Hunter should be. Not just "run max DPS and maybe Health Boost 3 if you feel like it". The point of the game is to craft armor and weapons, so it should force (or at least encourage) people to make multiple sets.

Hell, that's how it used to be. You used to need to make special sets for the toughest monsters. Try fighting Dreadqueen Rathian without a dedicated HH that can give poison immunity and see how far you get.
I just think I got Dreadqueen Rathian up to level 8 or so before I stopped and I never used any poison negating skills of any kind. The cardinal rules of MH have always been: don't get hit and hit it till it dies. Offensive skills (and Earplugs when applicable for GS) have always been and will continue to be the ones to prioritize in MH imo. The only monster specific sets I recall crafting are for some of these damage over time monsters in World like AT Vaal.

I do agree that Drachen Armor is a little too catch all but you have to incentivize players to slog through that fight for some reason.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For Vaal (AT or not) you just need effluvial resistance - I've beat every AT so far with the same basic set, some even just with Odogaron set - and I'm definitely not "good" at this, I just get that if you really want to succeed (and fast not after years of practice or some bs) first rule is to survive, and yes, that basically means get carried, but even that is too much for some people, you can't carry them haha.

Definitely did help some people with AT VH tho, which was cool! And I had some really good runs against AT Xeno where I could keep the red charge up, but I'm still too inconsistent to pull this off regularly, also a healer or good team helps obviously.

And I'm really just making this HBG set to try something new, in no way I think it helps me to beat Xeno, on the contrary, it showed me how much I suck (because of lacking experience I might add)

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
For Vaal (AT or not) you just need effluvial resistance - I've beat every AT so far with the same basic set, some even just with Odogaron set - and I'm definitely not "good" at this, I just get that if you really want to succeed (and fast not after years of practice or some bs) first rule is to survive, and yes, that basically means get carried, but even that is too much for some people, you can't carry them haha.

Definitely did help some people with AT VH tho, which was cool! And I had some really good runs against AT Xeno where I could keep the red charge up, but I'm still too inconsistent to pull this off regularly, also a healer or good team helps obviously.

And I'm really just making this HBG set to try something new, in no way I think it helps me to beat Xeno, on the contrary, it showed me how much I suck (because of lacking experience I might add)
For AT Vaal I agree with needing effluvial resist. Your margin for error is basically 0 if you don't have it. You definitely can't take a hit, and you will die if you stop dps'ing him with health augment because the ticking damage is so high. This is one of the design aspects about world that I hope they abandon in favor of how the old games used to be. Player skill should enable you to be more flexible with your armor skills, and extreme passive damage that you cannot avoid (AT Luna, Vaal, Xeno) and are forced to build around is the antithesis of monster hunter's design in the past.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn there really was an update on PC, it already looks worse haha (probably imagination but yeah, it certainly doesn't look better)

Another celebratory item pack, but this one has an Attack Deco! So be sure to grab it.
I wonder if I can play this on my laptop over shoddy mobile connection on my holiday in Italy, probably not?! >.<

PS: I just beat AT Xeno with a group of only melee users, 3 LS, 1 GS, it was totally hype!

I didn't think it's possible tbh, but stuff like this is where the game really shines, it was so much fun and the end was hilarious! 😂

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
Got my first Hero's Streamstone (Shaft) y-day at HR62 (gotten a TON of Lance,Sword and LBG/HBG before that...) also gotten a fair few of Warrior Streamstone (Shaft) aswell...

Hopefully they continue to come easy, Mighty Bow deco is still eluding me though, 20%+ DPS increase, on one Deco in a pool of WAY to many, is beyond stupid.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Got my first Hero's Streamstone (Shaft) y-day at HR62 (gotten a TON of Lance,Sword and LBG/HBG before that...) also gotten a fair few of Warrior Streamstone (Shaft) aswell...

Hopefully they continue to come easy, Mighty Bow deco is still eluding me though, 20%+ DPS increase, on one Deco in a pool of WAY to many, is beyond stupid.
You need to want that decoration less, that's the secret.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for a forceshot jewel on PS4 so I can stop using these damn Black Diablos pants.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
What's the best way to grind out HR fast if I'm <50? I saw that Usurpers quest is up, but is there a particular strategy to go about it? Or another, better way in an investigation or group?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the people needing jewels, I'd say do silver / gold investigations, they're quick and chances don't seem so bad. Don't do the bronze tho, I heard chances are really low on that.

Or some events give out a lot too.
Purple HR 30 also but I prefer silver / gold since it's quicker.
HR 50 are bad because you also get streamstones and thus less decos.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to grind out HR fast if I'm <50? I saw that Usurpers quest is up, but is there a particular strategy to go about it? Or another, better way in an investigation or group?
The events that give HR (Usurper, Snow & Cherry Blossoms, Tooth for an Eye) all give a little over 50% of a HR level, so they're really good ways to grind. They're just fights against a couple of tempered monsters so they aren't too tough.

I don't think there's anything better if you're below HR100. Then you get Sapphire Star's Guidance, which gives more than those quests, but it also takes longer so I don't actually know if it's faster.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HR30 investigations for Deco's and Tempered Elder HR50's for Augments is what i'm doing atleast.
Try silver / gold, 2 of my 4 atk come from those iirc.

I don't have a fancy background, but here's my (random) fashion hunter milestone after ~ 2 months of playing btw. :)

cSnPeo2.png

I kinda wish I could erase those IG and HBG entries, cool weapons but I just want to play LS tbh, it's so much fun (and I'm still improving)

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will admit, I never did the wyvern ritual, it scares the hell out of me I could meld a deco and then later need it, except I could probably do some of those +12 divine blessing and stuff, but then I don't even understand how it works, can you get "any" deco from it or what?

The melder scares me! Lol
Only go there for armor and demon juices sometimes...

What's that again,
double bagel
?

I think it's
KIRIN?

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
I will admit, I never did the wyvern ritual, it scares the hell out of me I could meld a deco and then later need it, except I could probably do some of those +12 divine blessing and stuff, but then I don't even understand how it works, can you get "any" deco from it or what?

The melder scares me! Lol
Only go there for armor and demon juices sometimes...

I think it's
KIRIN?
Ah yes you're right.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

There are max levels of skills, so any decos you have above that (say, more than 3 vitality decos for instance), you can safely meld.

Also, you can save scum the melder - though the results are random, the order in which the decos meld are not. So, on PS4, I'll throw a backup save to the cloud, go-in and do as many melds as I can (with streamstone and research point limitations) - like about 40 - note down anything that I want that comes up, reload the cloud save, and then count toward that desired deco: every 3 quests moves the melder results ahead 4 places. You get 3 worn streamstones which technically can get you every deco, but rarity 7 and 8 have a low drop rate.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I use all layered armor anyway so I don't mind the dominance of Drachen. Honestly, if there was no Drachen, everyone would just be running Teostra Gamma for Master's Touch anyway and that would be the thing everyone would complain about being meta-defining.

Teostra Gamma is actually better than Drachen vs alot of the ATs if you aren't a speedrunner, since you can actually fit QoL skills. Most people who run into Ancient Leshen, AT Xeno, AT Luna, etc in meta 4pc Drachen + 1 other piece usually die, mainly because most AT monsters have some gimmick that encourages you to build around them.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are max levels of skills, so any decos you have above that (say, more than 3 vitality decos for instance), you can safely meld.

Also, you can save scum the melder - though the results are random, the order in which the decos meld are not. So, on PS4, I'll throw a backup save to the cloud, go-in and do as many melds as I can (with streamstone and research point limitations) - like about 40 - note down anything that I want that comes up, reload the cloud save, and then count toward that desired deco: every 3 quests moves the melder results ahead 4 places. You get 3 worn streamstones which technically can get you every deco, but rarity 7 and 8 have a low drop rate.
Ah, I see, thanks for the explanation.

In other "news" this is my 4th :)

F0eey7Y.png

I could swear I got 2 from silver / gold tho, might just have been luck :o

I used mega bounce bombs, maybe that's the trick? (jk) I'm going to make lots now in any case they'e incredibly funny imo!

I use all layered armor anyway so I don't mind the dominance of Drachen. Honestly, if there was no Drachen, everyone would just be running Teostra Gamma for Master's Touch anyway and that would be the thing everyone would complain about being meta-defining.

Teostra Gamma is actually better than Drachen vs alot of the ATs if you aren't a speedrunner, since you can actually fit QoL skills. Most people who run into Ancient Leshen, AT Xeno, AT Luna, etc in meta 4pc Drachen + 1 other piece usually die, mainly because most AT monsters have some gimmick that encourages you to build around them.
I just use Drachen + empress mail most of the time because I know it works, I'd actually love to try out something else sometimes, but I agree and that's why I usually fit as many health / defensive decos / items as I can against the AT because as I said before I might not do "max" damage but I at least survive and get what I want (which usually seems to be tickets...)
But then when I learned their patterns I can go a bit more offensive - for example I did AT Xeno with only 2 vitality and heatguard charm, everything else was attack / affinity, but it only works because I fought him so much by now I know how to fight him pretty well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they improved the drop rates? Got a second critical boost gem too... All on the same day o.o

Edit: oh and I tried Teostra Y, against... AT Teostra, that was a nice suicide mission lol...

Last edited:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to try AT Nergi once I get home.

Hold me tight MonHunERA.

Which would be better Evade Window 3 or Evade Extender 3 (for SnS) against him ?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
oh, is AT nergi in right now? I've been wanting to try it

really wish my PS4 controller could stay connected. hunting is really brutal when it arbitrarily disconnects 3-4 times a hunt. it's a bummer, it's a great controller otherwise

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Man, AT Nerg is fucking brutal, I'm not confident enough to take him on my own but is also impossible with randos.
Fought him four times so far and haven't defeated him once, and i haven't died a single time..

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
My answer for almost every AT Elder was the Gunlance. For AT Nerg I had lvl 3 health, lvl 3 recovery up, lvl 5 guard, and the rest were the usual gl essentials. The fights took like an average of 18 minutes or longer if I got greedy, but he at least died pretty consistently.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
My answer for almost every AT Elder was the Gunlance. For AT Nerg I had lvl 3 health, lvl 3 recovery up, lvl 5 guard, and the rest were the usual gl essentials. The fights took like an average of 18 minutes or longer if I got greedy, but he at least died pretty consistently.

I was thinking of Lancing (had fairly easy time against AT Teo using Lance even if it take like 18-20 minutes), tested it yesterday against standard Temp. Nerg, and the final nest phase is super rough, the chip damage is too much even with Guard 4 and him being super aggressive I barely had any chance to poke/heal.

Overall I had the easiest time with RF N2 LBG, but jesus with Gunner armor the 310 degree tail-spin one-shot 200 HP/500 DEF and most of it's attack took like 50-75% HP and it's only the Tempered version...

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Lance with Guard 3 and HB3 makes AT Nerg a joke. Just make sure you have a Taroth Claw or an Odo Lance with Health Aug.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
So aside from guard and health boost what other skills does one want I a gunlace?
I've got kjarr buster "spark" which should work pretty well against him but I've no idea what a good GL build is 😅

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Finally tried AT Nerg with GS solo. Just a couple quick tries without much focus on what gear I was wearing and such. I beat on him for 20 or so minutes before carting.

Hadn't played since mid May so maybe not the best jumping in point.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god Kush and Nerg, that's my nightmare... I was hoping at least one easy one like Zorah...

Well anyways
Critical eye 5
Windproof 4 (or 5 if needed?)
Atk 3
Health 3
Crit boost 3
Divine Blessing 3
PP 2
Power prolonger 1
Airborne 1
Non elemental boost 1

Temporal mantle
Health Booster

Ready to go with LS, or any suggestions how to improve this set against Kushula ?

EDIT: nevermind, he's kinda EASY, I heard how hard he's supposed to be...

We had a really great healer tho... Kush never did more than 50% damage....
Also I swapped with rocksteady for the health boost...

I even got to "air kill" him, very cool, 1 slash and he dead :D

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you are solo hunting but you feel that you will be carted at some point, Fortitude is certainly worth slotting in, 1 level 1 slot for a 20% attack boost and 30% defence boost (Which should be enough to let you survive a lot of the one-shot moves the AT's have) is worth having. You can also swap away the fortitude decoration after getting both buffs and slot in a new decoration whilst keeping the buffs for the rest of the run.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are solo hunting but you feel that you will be carted at some point, Fortitude is certainly worth slotting in, 1 level 1 slot for a 20% attack boost and 30% defence boost (Which should be enough to let you survive a lot of the one-shot moves the AT's have) is worth having. You can also swap away the fortitude decoration after getting both buffs and slot in a new decoration whilst keeping the buffs for the rest of the run.

Can you really? I tried changing decos mid hunt, it wouldn't let me, I may be blind tho...

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
31 minutes 59 seconds, 1 cart, tons of mega pot, max pot, bombs, powders, and seeds later finally beat AT Nergi.

Dumbest moment. (Edit : the more I see it, the more I don't understand why I get close to it instead of backing away, the hitbox doesn't help either).

hyGbT5Q.jpg

Coolest moment.

76RuXac.jpg

Shieldspire Bash palico gadget whistle is surprisingly good, it can stagger Nergi 3 times in a row.

Now to do it again 4 more time :/

Finally tried AT Nerg with GS solo. Just a couple quick tries without much focus on what gear I was wearing and such. I beat on him for 20 or so minutes before carting.

Hadn't played since mid May so maybe not the best jumping in point.

The final third of the hunt is super rough especially once he got to his nest ( I spam Crystalburst and Flashpod to delay him going back to his nest as long as possible).

Siegmeyer

Nov 2, 2017
Have come back to this game in the last few weeks as prep for Iceborne after putting in a load of hours last year. It's got it's claws in me deep again. GOTG by a mile for me.

I shelved it last year after getting the plat before they introduced AT monsters, and holy shit, these hunts are no joke. Have beaten AT Nerg twice out of about 20 attempts with randoms today. I know it'll be easier solo but it's so frustrating to fight for nearly 30 minutes with no reward if you cart near the end. Yes it's annoying in a group when that happens too but much less so for me. I also tend to get more greedy playing solo, so multiplayer forces me to value my lifebar a bit more.

Are people having more luck with AT Lunastra? Haven't tried it yet but am dreading it, she is one of my least favourite fights in the game.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, now it wants these hunter king coins again...
These arena fights really sound like a huge pita. >.<

I want to finish my Guild Cross set since I love the armor pieces! Might jump back in and work on that

Have come back to this game in the last few weeks as prep for Iceborne after putting in a load of hours last year. It's got it's claws in me deep again. GOTG by a mile for me.

I shelved it last year after getting the plat before they introduced AT monsters, and holy shit, these hunts are no joke. Have beaten AT Nerg twice out of about 20 attempts with randoms today. I know it'll be easier solo but it's so frustrating to fight for nearly 30 minutes with no reward if you cart near the end. Yes it's annoying in a group when that happens too but much less so for me. I also tend to get more greedy playing solo, so multiplayer forces me to value my lifebar a bit more.

Are people having more luck with AT Lunastra? Haven't tried it yet but am dreading it, she is one of my least favourite fights in the game.

I feel ya! Been messing around with other weapons that I hadn't touched in world and really enjoying getting back in to Switch Axe. Super fun weapon even if its not super strong in World. Iceborne will fix this

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like AT Luna didn't get as big of a set of buffs that the other ATs got. Probably because her normal version is already really tough.

But that could be confirmation bias talking.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017

This is just the bare essentials for those who don't have any of the extra helpful decorations. If you do have decos but no Mind's Eye, then 4 piece lunestra is pretty nice.

Charge shelling with a Long 4 GL does more damage but it didn't feel safe when I used it against AT Nerg. One of the things to be cautious about is mindlessly quick-reloading because his new surprise slam WILL hit you. Vitality + Temporal cloak in the final phase is essentially victory.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like AT Luna didn't get as big of a set of buffs that the other ATs got. Probably because her normal version is already really tough.

But that could be confirmation bias talking.
Nope I think AT Luna is way harder. I fought a HR 50 Luna yesterday (for the 20th time or so lol) and I was honestly convinced it's a gold investigation, she didn't even do her supernova thing...

AT Luna I always need a ton of luck the super nova doesn't get me (after I got stunned for 2 minutes by whatever, wind probably)

want to finish my Guild Cross set since I love the armor pieces! Might jump back in and work on that

I don't even know how it looks gotta look it up... I might jump in and hope some poor soul helps me, as I tried this once and abandoned after 5 minutes out of pure boredom lol >.<

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is just the bare essentials for those who don't have any of the extra helpful decorations. If you do have decos but no Mind's Eye, then 4 piece lunestra is pretty nice.

Charge shelling with a Long 4 GL does more damage but it didn't feel safe when I used it against AT Nerg. One of the things to be cautious about is mindlessly quick-reloading because his new surprise slam WILL hit you. Vitality + Temporal cloak in the final phase is essentially victory.

Pic unfortunately doesn't load for me so I looked up tank builds...

Might give this a try against super nerg lol!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Health/Stagger/Damage didn't increase by as much as the others did if you are comparing to the optional quest. If you compare to investigation version, then it's about the same.
Yeah that's what it felt like.

But part of me figured that she wasn't that much harder because I had the Kjarr Ice CB and was doing ~2000 dmg with every SAED.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

I tried group hunt for the last two ticket.

4 attempt all failed, always when Nerg already limping at 22-26 minutes mark, always one person that double/triple cart, and almost always at the super divebomb.

The first attempt actually goes decently, got paired with amazing LS user (also pack Wide Range) and Gunlance user (pretty much immortal). Unfortunately the Dual Blader got triple cart, all to super divebomb when he don't have Temporal Mantle. On my second attempt its the SnS user that got triple carted, it's frustrating because SnS (and GS) can block the super divebomb even without any Guard skill...

Also Lifepowder and Wide Range definitely goes a long way.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried group hunt for the last two ticket.

4 attempt all failed, always when Nerg already limping at 22-26 minutes mark, always one person that double/triple cart, and almost always at the super divebomb.

The first attempt actually goes decently, got paired with amazing LS user (also pack Wide Range) and Gunlance user (pretty much immortal). Unfortunately the Dual Blader got triple cart, all to super divebomb when he don't have Temporal Mantle. On my second attempt its the SnS user that got triple carted, it's frustrating because SnS (and GS) can block the super divebomb even without any Guard skill...

Also Lifepowder and Wide Range definitely goes a long way.
You need to check the equipment and stats before you let someone join for the AT hunts. It's no guarantee but saves a lot of headache in the long run.
I just had a player barely over HR 50 who'd I'd usually let never join in an AT hunt, but their equipment all made sense, and turned out was a really good player too.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two and a half hours from this post, Capcom is doing an Iceborne panel at Comic-Con, but it remains to be seen if anything new will be revealed. I don't think it's being streamed in any way.