• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Question on lances, what my buddy is running. He enjoys it but his issue is when the monster disengages him to come for me. I'm a bow user so I'm usually lingering and firing away. When they chase me, the lance's slow speed keeps him out. By the time he charges, it moves, and hops drain his stamina. Should I just make an effort to stay closer to him?
No, the Lance is one of the best weapons for chasedown in the game. He needs to get better at using the charge—most monsters really shouldn't be moving again before he can catch up to them. He can go into the charge so fast that it shouldn't be getting away from him at all, since he can start charging after it as soon as it starts repositioning. While charging he can turn, change direction,and hop, and when he actually catches up he can hit a pretty wide area by jumping + thrusting toward it.

That said, as a bow user, you also shouldn't be that far away, which might be part of it. You should mostly be very up close, dashing constantly and cycling through your Charged Shots—really barely out of melee range most of the time. If you're actually running away when the monster focuses on you, that could definitely be contributing.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Styx has rapid Thunder and built in Spare Shot.

For HBG you only need "Glutton" for Spread and "Support" for Pierce.
For LBG I'm pretty sure there is a Kjarr variant that is best in class for all ammo types respectively but the Blitzes can still be good. Just check what shot they rapid fire and build around that.

"Pierce" is just the gun's name it's actually a rapid Thunder and Normal 2 gun. Makes no sense lol.
Ok thanks I'll try to come up with something, generally health augment still a good idea?
And yeah the names are confusing af lol.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, ok good I asked then... however I have seen quite a few that used health augment, including my super duper nerg "easy mode" build haha.

Which I think is really good btw, I'm just bad at using anything other than LS...

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, the Lance is one of the best weapons for chasedown in the game. He needs to get better at using the charge—most monsters really shouldn't be moving again before he can catch up to them. He can go into the charge so fast that it shouldn't be getting away from him at all, since he can start charging after it as soon as it starts repositioning. While charging he can turn, change direction,and hop, and when he actually catches up he can hit a pretty wide area by jumping + thrusting toward it.

That said, as a bow user, you also shouldn't be that far away, which might be part of it. You should mostly be very up close, dashing constantly and cycling through your Charged Shots—really barely out of melee range most of the time. If you're actually running away when the monster focuses on you, that could definitely be contributing.
Got it, I'll tell him he doesn't have to be as reserved when it comes to the charge. He's not complaining about me pumping out all the damage anyway since he likes tanking but still, I want him to feel like an active component. I'm usually not THAT far away, at least I like to think so. It was during our first Kushala fight yesterday since back when the game released, where I thought 'we're awfully spread out due to tornadoes and what not, maybe I'm getting too far from him.' But otherwise, I'm very much in the monster's face dash dancing around, usually backed up some to go for wings. Only time I GTFO is when my stamina is drained and there's a very angry Odog looking at me lol.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Oh, ok good I asked then... however I have seen quite a few that used health augment, including my super duper nerg "easy mode" build haha.

Which I think is really good btw, I'm just bad at using anything other than LS...
Health augment is best on weapons that deal large chunks of damage like GS and Hammer as damage dealt is what determines how much health you get back. It's especially bad on rapid LBG as you only get the equivalent of 10% of the damage on the first shot in a rapid fire volley.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Got it, I'll tell him he doesn't have to be as reserved when it comes to the charge. He's not complaining about me pumping out all the damage anyway since he likes tanking but still, I want him to feel like an active component. I'm usually not THAT far away, at least I like to think so. It was during our first Kushala fight yesterday since back when the game released, where I thought 'we're awfully spread out due to tornadoes and what not, maybe I'm getting too far from him.' But otherwise, I'm very much in the monster's face dash dancing around, usually backed up some to go for wings. Only time I GTFO is when my stamina is drained and there's a very angry Odog looking at me lol.
Yeah, Kush will do that, it can be hard to do much about that if you get bad tornadoes. I mean, I think as long as you're getting the "ideal range" symbol on your reticule and all the shots from your spread are hitting you're probably close enough.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Health augment is best on weapons that deal large chunks of damage like GS and Hammer as damage dealt is what determines how much health you get back. It's especially bad on rapid LBG as you only get the equivalent of 10% of the damage on the first shot in a rapid fire volley.
Health Augments aren't terrible on Rapid Normal 2 if you need to keep up Peak Performance or just mitigate some incidental dmaage like trips or DoT, but yeah it's not as good as landing an SAED with CB and getting back 60% of your health.

For those wondering, not only are health augments controlled by the damage of damage you do (more damage = more health) they also have a built in cooldown timer that prevents it from proc'ing too soon after it activated. For most weapons this doesn't matter, and it only really matters when you have multiple attacks that land at the exact same time, which is mostly Spread Ammo and the Bow Power Shots. For those, you'll only heal for 1 "attack" (meaning 1 pellet or 1 arrow) even if all of them hit, which usually ends up being 7-8 hp.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can also influence it with recovery up (or something similar) I think?

Different question, when does the festival start, is it even coming to PC...?

25th is almost over so that info seems to be most likely incorrect (if we assume America isn't the world lol)

Well, they're already taunting me with "my looks" so I guess it couldn't be long...

Also got an atk gem and other stuff. Also 10 appreciation tickets which they now already want to take away from me again (because of my looks >.>)

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Brigade plus Galla....fancy.
Galla.png

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can also influence it with recovery up (or something similar) I think?

Different question, when does the festival start, is it even coming to PC...?

25th is almost over so that info seems to be most likely incorrect (if we assume America isn't the world lol)

Well, they're already taunting me with "my looks" so I guess it couldn't be long...

Also got an atk gem and other stuff. Also 10 appreciation tickets which they now already want to take away from me again (because of my looks >.>)

Festival begins in three hours and fifteen minutes from this post (8:00PM EST).

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^ I see. Cool, thanks!

Brigade plus Galla....fancy.
Galla.png

Hmm I wonder how my gal will look with that beard...

Edit: umm how do I get the non layered version? Wasn't there some sets that use "top hat"....?

It's probably just in the store at the smithy?

Edit : nvm I went ahead and bought it. So now I have 10 tickets left for the layered set

Last edited:

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wasted ticket RNG on an easy AT elder, but I got some good streamstones out of it as well:

jnIA3zy.jpg

Pretty bad run from a DPS perspective, mainly because he kept flying, like, constantly. Still, now I don't have to fight Kush again until Iceborne.

It was my 6th run, so I ended up with 1 extra ticket.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Wasted ticket RNG on an easy AT elder, but I got some good streamstones out of it as well:

jnIA3zy.jpg

Pretty bad run from a DPS perspective, mainly because he kept flying, like, constantly. Still, now I don't have to fight Kush again until Iceborne.

It was my 6th run, so I ended up with 1 extra ticket.
Wait, you can get 3 of them at once? I've never gotten more than one. 😥

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Question on lances, what my buddy is running. He enjoys it but his issue is when the monster disengages him to come for me. I'm a bow user so I'm usually lingering and firing away. When they chase me, the lance's slow speed keeps him out. By the time he charges, it moves, and hops drain his stamina. Should I just make an effort to stay closer to him?

The Lance when using correctly is probably one of the best weapon when it came for sustained damage and mobility.

Between the Dash Attack, Leaping Thrust, Counter Thrust, and Power Guard, Lance are pretty much always glued to the monster. The dash attack is also pretty much free damage when the monster is fleeing/changing area. Also in case your friend don't know, Lance can mount without using ledge (the Dash attack can be chained into Jumping attack).

That being said, I do think Lance really suffers when playing in group (monster became unpredictable to counter consistently, melee players either trips you or accidentally trigger your counter move, etc).

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
That being said, I do think Lance really suffers when playing in group (monster became unpredictable to counter consistently, melee players either trips you or accidentally trigger your counter move, etc).
Flinch Free is mandatory for Lance in multiplayer (I'd almost argue every melee weapon should use it, but Lance especially).

And even though Lance can get to far off monsters with the charge, if the monster keeps running to the other side of the arena, that's a lot of time spent charging and not a lot of time spent poking.

(Remember folks, when you're playing with other people, don't get scared and hug the walls. All you'll do is make it so that no one else can do good damage.)

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've done a pretty good job of not hitting him much with bow shots so flinch free hasn't been a thing yet. Yeah issue is monster running just out of his range and then moving more as he charges, maybe it's just a timing thing, could also be he's just more defensive than offensive. Either way, I'm gonna stick closer to him and try and get more offense outta him.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Flinch Free is mandatory for Lance in multiplayer (I'd almost argue every melee weapon should use it, but Lance especially).

And even though Lance can get to far off monsters with the charge, if the monster keeps running to the other side of the arena, that's a lot of time spent charging and not a lot of time spent poking.

(Remember folks, when you're playing with other people, don't get scared and hug the walls. All you'll do is make it so that no one else can do good damage.)

Yeah, that's why I rarely use Lance in Multiplayer. I can handle dashing around the arena trying to keep up with the monster. But what kills Lance in MP for me, on top of monster being more unpredictable means it's harder to use CT/PG properly, is how often randoms (cough...Longsword/DualBlade...cough...) keep messing your Counter Thrust/Power Guard.

Absolutely amazing weapon for solo tho, that CT/PG is too OP lol.

Yeah I've done a pretty good job of not hitting him much with bow shots so flinch free hasn't been a thing yet. Yeah issue is monster running just out of his range and then moving more as he charges, maybe it's just a timing thing, could also be he's just more defensive than offensive. Either way, I'm gonna stick closer to him and try and get more offense outta him.

Lance is basically about turning that defensive tool into offensive mean. It kinda broke my heart everytime I saw Lance user sitting in the corner holding Guard the entire time :(

Monster Guides

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a guide for people who haven't played since launch?

Deviljho https://www.vg247.com/2018/12/19/monster-hunter-world-how-to-find-deviljho-weaknesses/

Lunastra https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...unastra-how-to-fight-it-what-is-its-weakness/

Kulve Taroth Siege. https://www.ign.com/wikis/monster-hunter-world/Kulve_Taroth_Siege_Guide

Mega Man https://www.gamespot.com/articles/monster-hunter-world-guide-how-to-get-mega-mans-pa/1100-6458228/

Devil May Cry. https://www.ign.com/wikis/monster-hunter-world/How_to_Unlock_Devil_May_Cry's_Dante

Assassin's Creed. https://www.gamecrate.com/monster-hunter-world-how-get-assassin's-hood-and-bayek-layered-armor/21845

FFXIV https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ehemoth-how-to-fight-it-what-is-its-weakness/

The Witcher 3 https://www.gamecrate.com/monster-h...-complete-geralt-mission-and-sidequests/22175
Ancient Leshen https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...-leshen-how-to-fight-it-what-is-its-weakness/

Kulve Taroth Siege. https://www.ign.com/wikis/monster-hunter-world/Kulve_Taroth_Siege_Guide
Arch Tempered Kulve Taroth. https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunterWorld/comments/bf8149/archtempered_kulve_taroth_siege_guide/

Festival https://steamcommunity.com/games/582010/announcements/detail/1597006468466342167

Arch Tempered Vaal, Kirin, Teostra, Lunastra, Nergigante, Zorah, Xenojiiva Event Quests.

Layered armor list : https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...is_there_a_list_of_all_layered_armor_and_how/ ( top comment, missing Sakura, Ryu, Geralt, Ciri).

Last edited:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
AT Xeno and the 30 minutes time limit is harder than AT Nergi....

First attempt using Lance, timeout.
Second attempt using Legiana HBG, triple carted with 2 minutes timer left.
Third attempt back using Lance, win with 5 minutes left.

And only got 1 ticket....I think I'm going for the Layered Set only :/

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

His armor is super impt for any gunner build. There is a relatively safe way to do it with pierce ammo and a shield mod depending on what gear you have.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ughh, they need to fix how the game does *not* auto save before the result screen... Just froze on me right there (and it's always a bit "wonky" there) lost 3 red orbs, thank you very much 😞

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

I found AT Xeno to not be that big of a deal when I used Elemental LBG.

You run Luna Blaze for rapid Fire and Ice + free Guts and you should be more than mobile enough to dodge all of Xeno's slowass attacks.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is highly subjective, I found xeno rather easy once I figured him out, even made helper builds since I felt really comfortable fighting him...

Nerg on the other hand only with lots of luck or cheese him with bombs (which is super tedious lol)

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
This is highly subjective, I found xeno rather easy once I figured him out, even made helper builds since I felt really comfortable fighting him...

Nerg on the other hand only with lots of luck or cheese him with bombs (which is super tedious lol)
I found AT Xeno to not be that big of a deal when I used Elemental LBG.

You run Luna Blaze for rapid Fire and Ice + free Guts and you should be more than mobile enough to dodge all of Xeno's slowass attacks.

His armor is super impt for any gunner build. There is a relatively safe way to do it with pierce ammo and a shield mod depending on what gear you have.

Already got the commision layered, second run also took me 25 minutes.

The fight itself is not a problem (definitely much easier than Nerg, Guard Up+HeatGuard+Health Augment kinda trivialize him), its the time limit that makes me super nervous. I don't think I can handle another 2 and a half hour farming him....

Funnily enough using Lance is much safer than HBowgun for me (got triple carted, and the fact that he can one shot you with small mistake onlh adds another layer of nervousness).

Also how the hell did other melee weapon handle him (except Glaive and Glance I guess) ??? Explosion....explosion everywhere.

Also did ATKulve and the music is dope as hell. Probably won't bother making her gamma set tho.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already got the commision layered, second run also took me 25 minutes.

The fight itself is not a problem (definitely much easier than Nerg, Guard Up+HeatGuard+Health Augment kinda trivialize him), its the time limit that makes me super nervous. I don't think I can handle another 2 and a half hour farming him....

Funnily enough using Lance is much safer than HBowgun for me (got triple carted, and the fact that he can one shot you with small mistake onlh adds another layer of nervousness).

Also how the hell did other melee weapon handle him (except Glaive and Glance I guess) ??? Explosion....explosion everywhere.

Also did ATKulve and the music is dope as hell. Probably won't bother making her gamma set tho.
Divine blessing, health boost, dragon res or a mix thereof.. My hypest AT hunt so far was definitely 4 "random" LS users (random but I already kinda knew them from other hunts) and I thought we'd never make it, with only LS users, we made it comfortably in about 20 minutes tho, and there wasn't even a healer (so lazy me had to heal myself lol)
It was a lot of fun definitely!

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking Ancient Leshen is breaking me. I don't even want to beat him just upgrade my Silver Sword. Can't get these antlers and skull.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot what did ya'll say about the Dante armor, is it worth it or should I just get the layered version? (the non layered looks kinda good on a glance?)

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot what did ya'll say about the Dante armor, is it worth it or should I just get the layered version? (the non layered looks kinda good on a glance?)

There is no point getting the Dante armor when you have access to Behemoth and AT elders. The layered armor is worth it and is exactly the same thing.

Oct 25, 2017
I suck so bad at this game but still play it casually. I don't think I'd get anything done without an SOS shot. But, I keep coming back cause the game feels like a Jurassic Park ride.

That aside, here's a fanart I finished today: PukeiPukei & Iced-Coffee

6e5b7ce4189a8c297023a38bb4887a3b573dc134.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for these. I stopped playing for a while and have just returned to the game ahead of the DLC and have been polishing off stuff that I'd not done previously. Does this mean I can still get the Mega Man Palico? I know they've re added a whole bunch of events this week, I'll have to take a look, I mainly just want it because I'm a huge MM fan.

Absolutely can't wait for Iceborne, I've been playing with some newer Swords and Shields/Lances and have managed to get most of the monsters down pretty good aside from Lunastra but I'm getting there with her.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Breaking Ancient Leshen is breaking me. I don't even want to beat him just upgrade my Silver Sword. Can't get these antlers and skull.

I think you can just Plunderblade for those, it's only the Mutagen you have to beat him to get.

Failing that, just bring the 13 flash pods (3 standard and 10 with crafting materials).

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kirin The Myth. 2 Kirins at once, I gotta see that! Also I always need armor spheres :p

Ok so far I'm really loving the HBG Magma with shield, 2x long range and health augment, better safe than sorry haha 😂

I also keep getting confused with the names and types, Decay, Blast... and then I augmented a LBG Taroth Decay, and only noticing it's not a HBG since I couldn't put a shield mod. :o Noped out immediately :D

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I just met the dumbest random in my entire World experience.

Triple carted to AT Vaal Hazak, all three happen when he set fking Health Booster...when Vaal did his tail swipe and/or spinning beam...god fking Health Booster.

What suck is the other two are absolutely amazing, and the Vaal is nearing death too.

Sigh...back to solo I guess.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Quest leader should have definitely kicked the guy after 2 carts.

Quest leader is the one that triple cart....

Also just finish another "interesting" run. It was the smoothest run for AT Vaal, only took 12 minutes before he limp. I have Effluvia Expert so I'm immune to the blue acid, woke the Vaal with bomb, then as soon as Vaal woke up, two person rush into the blue acid and both cart in seconds (they probably think the blue acid can't hurt them when they saw me...). Thankfully the third person know what they are doing.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why you'd want to fight AT Elders with a group of randos. Seems like a recipe for failure.

At least when you fight them solo, you can't lose because of anyone other than yourself.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I tend to stick to single player. Both because I don't know all the monsters as well as I need to to tackle them in MP, and because I'd hate to see my progress get destroyed over a silly mistake (well, not really a mistake when the user repeats the same thing over and over!).

And speaking of my "skill"... is it me or the event "Greatest Jagras" a pretty tough mission? I'm getting 1-2 hit KO's and that thing seems to have an insane amount of health! Also can't decide which of my weapons (S&S or Lance) works best against it, since Lance has the better range and damage but I can't evade worth a damn and my shield doesn't defend some of its harder hitting attacks (which leads to said deaths).
On the bright side, lance destroys that prick Kirin, so easy to hit his weak spot even when he does that whole skin harden thing!

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why you'd want to fight AT Elders with a group of randos. Seems like a recipe for failure.

At least when you fight them solo, you can't lose because of anyone other than yourself.

It was super boring to solo after 3 run in a row...I don't think I can handle another 4 run solo. Playing with randoms at least can spice things up a bit (like Kageroo said several pages back), and I imagine Vaal is not that dangerous compared to Nergi or Xeno.

Ugh I'm exhausted just thinking that I need to do AT Kirin solo 7 times..

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did 99% of all AT in mp *shrugs*

While it *can* be frustrating, not gonna deny that, I bet it was overall still faster than me doing it all alone, I'm new to MH, I need to learn, also I'm a honey hunter, if it's shiny it will be collected!

Honestly this is *almost* more important to me than killing the monster, I also do not like abandoning, and I don't like quitters just as much I don't like triple carters...

If you join my quest, die and quit, be certain to be on my steam block list, in an instant!

Thankfully this doesn't happen often >.<

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HenryEen I totally get you - I guess - doing especially the ATs solo gets boring real fast because you keep doing the same things (usually)because you know it works even if it may not be ideal so it just becomes very tedious often...

With randoms or generally in a group you never know what happens and sometimes you can actually learn good stuff because a good player does something you didn't even know is a thing, like trapping deviljho to get easier damage, there's just so much stuff.

And definitely if you play ATs with randoms set it to manually accept, don't join other's SOS, that way you can check their gear and stuff, like no effluvial res for VH, no health boost, etc etc, you can filter them out, because let's be honest most players simply *will* cart if they don't have the right gear.

Also are you on PC?

Sir Laguna

Oct 27, 2017
I'm frustrated. I'm still getting paired with randos who die and die against the AT Monsters.

I'm considering trying solo. I'm a Gunlance user. Any reccomendations? I wanna get all the gamma armors but so far I only have Gamma Vaal Hazak.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Speaking of people fed up with randos. There's an idea I've been mulling for when Iceborne releases.
Ideally, squads should solve some of the problems about not having to hunt with randos. In practice, I think I've joined at least two of the Era squads and both times those were ghost towns in less than one or two weeks filled with 13 or 14 people out of the 16 that never seemed to log into the squad session.
So, with the idea to avoid the ghost town problem, a possible solution dawned on me: what we need is people who stick with the game instead of people who get tired after a week.
Then, what criteria would be a good indicator of someone that sticks with the game? The easiest one would be using the "Who replied" functionality of this very thread and use it as a guideline for choosing who to put in the squad.
What do you people think? Would you be willing to join a squad of top posters? In my case, it would be on PS4 but an XBox one (and eventually PC when Iceborne releases there) should also be made if someone organizes the squad for their relevant platform.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of people fed up with randos. There's an idea I've been mulling for when Iceborne releases.
Ideally, squads should solve some of the problems about not having to hunt with randos. In practice, I think I've joined at least two of the Era squads and both times those were ghost towns in less than one or two weeks filled with 13 or 14 people out of the 16 that never seemed to log into the squad session.
So, with the idea to avoid the ghost town problem, a possible solution dawned on me: what we need is people who stick with the game instead of people who get tired after a week.
Then, what criteria would be a good indicator of someone that sticks with the game? The easiest one would be using the "Who replied" functionality of this very thread and use it as a guideline for choosing who to put in the squad.
What do you people think? Would you be willing to join a squad of top posters? In my case, it would be on PS4 but an XBox one (and eventually PC when Iceborne releases there) should also be made if someone organizes the squad for their relevant platform.
Im for everything that helps solving this problem, I've been mostly lucky but the problem definitely exists...

What would help people looking for squads also posting their platform I guess.

Also why wait for iceborn, it seems fairly active at least on PC.

Edit: Oh I get you, because the thread will be more active then, well yeah that makes sense too.

Last edited:

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
I have no intention of stop playing this game any time soon so I'd love to join a squad. I'd be just ps4 in my case though.